• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:33 AM

About 2 months ago I planted a bunch of Pach seeds of this cross that are supposed to have at least a likellyhood of expressing the montrose form. At what age would you expect that to become apparent? These are still very small, but to my eye they don't appear to be doing anything unusual yet. I have another similar pot to this one with similar germination and appearance. All in all about a hundred seedlings.image.jpeg
  • Neptunechild likes this

#2 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 688 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:47 AM

I have seen Cristate growth appearing mostly on Pachanoi after several years (8+), but also on 3 year old specimen.

Never saw it at an earlier age, but that doesn't mean anything.

Do you know how rare it is? I'm sure you need more seedlings than that for a single cristate one.

It happens once in every 250'000 seeds by L. Williamsii (Peyote) and is epic rare.

Edited by Neptunechild, 26 March 2016 - 08:48 AM.

#3 Melfd3

Melfd3

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:24 AM

I've seen several pictures of people growing those.  By the time they are about an inch tall, some had noticeable cristate and/or monstrose growth.  Hard to say though, some seedlings might not express those traits until they get much bigger. 

• Fresh Brewed likes this

#4 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:59 PM

I guess about 5 months is my answer. I transplanted the largest of the seedlings to another pot last weekend without noticing anything unusual about them. While peering at them closely today to access how they were doing I noticed what I think is cristate growth on at least 2 of them! What do you think?image.jpeg image.jpeg
  • Phungivore likes this

#5 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:27 PM

awesome deff growing odd but never seen cristate from seedling so cannot confirm anything more then the growth is not normal from my limited experience with trichocereus seedlings.

sure hope they turn out to be cristate

Edited by Phungivore, 01 July 2016 - 01:28 PM.

#6 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:31 AM

An update on my pach montrose seedlings. Things are continuing to look weird and some of my grafts have taken

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• Skywatcher and DualWieldRake like this

#7 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

Except for that last one that seemed the most crest like, that I most wanted to be successful

Edited by Fresh Brewed, 22 August 2016 - 09:37 AM.

#8 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:06 PM

This graft is going crazy!image.jpeg
  • Skywatcher likes this

#9 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

One month later, this crest graft continues to thrive! ALSO, the graft that didn't take has, suddenly in the past week, started showing signs of life

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0054.JPG
  • IMG_0055.JPG
  • IMG_0056.JPG
  • IMG_0053.JPG
  • IMG_0057.JPG

• Skywatcher and Aminrcraoftm like this

#10 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:11 AM

8 months later these TPM seedlings continue to be fun to watch! I've been trying to decide what to do with the grafts, as they seem to be getting to a size that the periscoipsis isn't going to be able to support. I'd especially like to re-graft the fan shaped crest to something that it could live on for years and years but it's relatively tall and thin at this point and I'm not sure how to accomplish it. Would I be better off trying to root it on its own or cut some wedges from it that might get me a stable enough surface to graft?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0155.JPG
  • IMG_0160.JPG
  • IMG_0158.JPG
  • IMG_0154.JPG
  • IMG_0156.JPG
  • IMG_0151.JPG
  • IMG_0152.JPG
  • IMG_0157.JPG
  • IMG_0159.JPG

• Neptunechild, Pan1, DualWieldRake and 1 other like this

#11 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 688 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

Namaste

Very great grafting you've got there, salute!

I would leave the graft on the pere's until they break off or whatever, as long as it holds, it can only benefit from the graft.

The decision to grown them root own or not is up to you.

If you want to graft them on a stock that can hold them for a really long time, I recommend you try to find a good sized San Pedro, like 7-9cm in diameter and graft it on it.
If it works, and from what I see what you've done until now I think it will, you can keep it on that new graft probably for ever...or at least for the next 35+ years.

Peace

#12 Neptunechild

Neptunechild

Cactus Wizard

• OG VIP
  • 688 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:24 PM

Namaste

Would love to see a update on this.

I am a little bit curious about this entire project actually. Basically because I dont understand how one can produce seeds that are "likely" to form cristate. Cristate and monstruous Pachs and Bridgesiis dont make flowers...so, there should be no seeds. And if I compare your grafts with my cristate pedro and what I see on the internet, they look different. The spines on your grafts are really long. And the cacti on the last 3 pics in the clay pot actually look more like Cereus Peruvianus var. Cristate than a Trichocereus...interesting!

Greetings

#13 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:59 PM

Crested pedro can and do flower, just not as offten, bridgesii crested is the only one i cant find information on it flowering,
Usaly these cactus flower in the reverted areas, and carry the monstrose genes however.

Would like to see updates also!
  • Neptunechild likes this

#14 Boebs

Boebs

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:04 PM

Not mine
But no steam

TPC-IMG_3048.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!