Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

William Leonard Pickard Has a Book Out! The Rose of Paracelsus!!!

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#41 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,979 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:12 AM

Glad you got this book. We will be interested in your thoughts on the chapters you read. Enjoy you camping.

yea its a big book. out of like but I will get back here and give you one.

namaste

• Pan1 likes this

#42 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,242 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:18 PM

I started the read : Very complex with allusions to other literature, poets, writers I have not read so that makes it more difficult but I get the gist..  Leo was a drug policy fellow and neurobiology student? He obviously did not heed  the words of Crimson about being a social chameleon boring and without note and noting the people posing as barflies and in mundane occupations fishing for deviants and conspiracies recording data to cast their nets. Also the need and greed for money is what gets you noticed and money was not important for the 6.   I thought about the fact Crimson had a crew cut , no tattoos or for that matter piercing probably , etc to draw attention.  It made me think (not judging) of tattoos and recognition enhancement caused by their presences.. They tattooed people in the concentration camps to track them so why would you want to make yourself more noticeable? Just a thought .  When you live obsessively and extravagantly you draw attention of the "fishermen".  The evolution of tracking for pre crime patterns is disturbing but obviously what is progressing in this free society with a "transparent " government..

• MycoDani, Heirloom and wharfrat like this

#43 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,242 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:14 AM

Since I haven't read the whole book yet: Is Leo one of the 6 and just writing a story in 3rd person? Or could it be his is the only ONE and projecting a fantasy of the other 5 for the perfect collection of associates?

Edited by Seeker2be, 23 May 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#44 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,857 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

I just finished chapter 2 and will be reading chapter 3 today. I'm starting to think and I won't know more till I read but this is just my assumption. I think ego got in the way for sure. I'm not saying it's that way for all the players in the book. Like Crimson I don't get that he had much of an ego. But maybe others did. Or maybe their was complacency and that led to the aforementioned downfall?

That's my thought but I'm looking forward to reading more and see where this goes....
  • Heirloom likes this

#45 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,979 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

dani , I also think ego was a big problem. When you got that much power and money a person gets seduced by it.
Another problem was his previous bust , they watch people and if you got no job or tax returns  and own a lot you become a target.

Seeker , I think the 6th William Leonard  Pickard  did not meet was Owsley Stanley. Look him up. Money played a problem, ego.

I am interested in every ones thoughts , it helps me to get a different view , this gives me more to think about and greater understanding.

namaste

• MycoDani likes this

#46 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,979 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:11 PM

I think the main informant was an associate not a chemist, who was loose with cash as he was with his mouth.

Only more reading will tell us, I do love this book it teaches.

I believe Crimson was more into spreading " being one with the Universe " than he was about money.
Crimson had compassion and care for the poor. And looking at Crimson no one would every think he was into
anything illegal, a cop would think the opposite  because he had no long hair, tats, peircings and the lack of slang.

Crimson was a deep cover agent for enlightenment.

• MycoDani likes this

#47 PoorEdgarDerby

PoorEdgarDerby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

Hey, I'm new to the site but eager to discuss The Rose. Would like to know where everyone else is at, don't want to get too far ahead.

A few observations, though, that may be helpful to the mycotopia community as readers move from the monastery (Chapter 2) to Harvard (Chapter 3) and into the amazing following chapters. Readers refer to "Leo," but he is called "Leonard" according to online sources, right?

But yeah. Is he one of the Six? Is he projecting the Six from his own experiences? These are very good observations but The Rose seems to be read best as a journal of actual research interviews of each of the Six. Regarding the post by Heirloom on power and money, the reader will note that Leonard arrived at Harvard from being a penniless monk, to be a scholarship student. Heirloom's comment on Crimson being "deep cover for enlightenment" was perfect, as he truly seems to be. However, the sixth man isn’t likely Owlsley, for each of the Six (according to chapter 1, anyway) were - and remain - publicly unknown, for they cultivate anonymity, and were not part of the Brotherhood or any known figures.

I think there is an amazing ride ahead – let’s hold on, and go slowly. But what are others' favorite scenes so far, favorite phrases? Wonderful that we can read together, and a privilege to share this reading.

There is a really favorable and insightful review of it here:

www.goodreads.com/book/show/28930020-the-rose-of-paracelsus

Enjoy,

PED

Edited by PoorEdgarDerby, 08 June 2016 - 02:15 PM.

#48 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,144 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:00 PM

Just able to catch up on this thread since my last post.

I appreciate every one who is reading and discussing this. I'm not a reader and from what it sounds like, I'd get too caught up in words I don't know and pretty sentenses. But it's cool to read the discussion and see the ideas and opinions about it. It's like I still get to play along with you!
  • Heirloom and DawgPhish76 like this

#49 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,857 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

Great stuff I will be posting some questions soon so stay tuned. I'd like to keep the subject on The Rose and what's in the book period. So hang in for some new questions I'd love to hear what people think.
  • Heirloom likes this

#50 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,523 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:15 AM

Bump.  Got my copy and I'm so happy I found this book.  Thanks for getting this thread going, Dani.

I never thought I'd be one to enjoy a writer that uses so much description but the language is so delicious.  It's masterpiece quality; something I will read many times in the future.  Every location is exotic and somehow beautiful or hellish.  All of the characters are as patiently carved figurines.

I am just past where the protagonist meets Vermillion. 

#51 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,614 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:09 PM

One man kills two people in a car in a carjacking. He gets 20 years. Another makes high quality LSD to bring enlightenment, he gets 2 life sentences.

Justice? I think not.

Thank you Dani for bringing this awesome tome to light, I can't wait to get a copy.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 09 July 2016 - 08:55 PM.

• MycoDani, Juthro, Heirloom and 1 other like this

#52 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,857 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:25 AM

No, thank you all for supporting Leonard! As he is not making any profit for this book. It truley is a gift from him to us. I want to go slow with this book as there is so much in it and I want to spark a good discussion about The Rose.

I'm going to read chapters 3 & 4. Then I'd like to discuss the main characters and how did you the reader feel when you read about them? Do you have a character you can relate to? Which character are you the most interested in? Also what are some of your favorite scenes from the book so far?

So let's shoot for discussing chapters 3 and hopefully 4 this weekend. If you've read ahead of me by all means share your feelings and observations. Is there any questions that you want to pose in our discussion? Please add them. :)

Leonard will also be sharing some insight on the book with us. So we're very lucky to have him share his thought with us Topiates!
  • Sidestreet, PsyBearknot and Heirloom like this

#53 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,614 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:38 PM

Meanwhile the great bulk of "enlightened" millennials are pretending to catch make believe "Pokemon" on their phones! My God we've come so far!

#54 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,523 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:10 AM

When I started this book I didn't expect to find Harvard, nor did I expect it directly after the narrator's immersive experience at the monastery.  The sudden transition is pleasantly abrupt and it only intrigued me more.  Expecting this to be a book focused on stories of clandestine laboratories, I could see how some readers might be disappointed to find an ivory tower instead.  But it's fascinating to see that world in detail; it's one familiar to a few people with incredible influence and totally alien to all but those few.  To see it in light of this particular story is singular.

Dani, is the author going to join us on the boards? 

Edited by Sidestreet, 17 July 2016 - 08:15 AM.

• wharfrat likes this

#55 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,523 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:19 AM

Heh, I guess even if he has access to the internet they wouldn't let him visit Topia...  :/

Edited by Sidestreet, 18 July 2016 - 06:19 AM.

#56 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:25 PM

hi folks.....just wanted to jump into the fire here, so to speak. i read The Rose last autumn, was completely blown away by its unique gifts, and am now reading it again.  and yes, to those who suspect that this is a great book to read at least twice.....yes.  i'm getting SO much more out of it as i read again. it's almost as though you have to read it once to just get the language and the rhythm and the pace and the attitude and the intent. and once you prime your pump, then go back and read it and really see how remarkable it all is!  

also, don't hesitate to keep a dictionary handy. at times, leonard will throw out an amazing word......he's not a showoff, he's just a very intelligent man who doesn't want to dumb his baby Rose down for the reader and i really appreciate that stance. on the occasion when he throws a new word at you, more often than not you'll be delighted with its definition. bottom line--leonard's got a vocabulary that could keep up with Nabokov, which we means we readers may have to occasionally up our game a bit.....and look it up.  it's cool and very pleasing.  

also......when you run across a particularly delightful sentence, by all means, take the time to savor that sucker.  this ain't no "take it to the beach" book, ya know?  if you read 4 or 5 pages a day, but really GROK those pages, i'm bet you're reading the book properly. just a hunch, right, but man, sometimes this stuff is pretty damn juicy! and it deserves not just to be read and pondered, but also read ALOUD.  there's a lyricism and flow in many of leonard's sentences, a flow that is best perceived with the aid of your larynx.   

• Heirloom and wharfrat like this

#57 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,121 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:37 PM

Heh, I guess even if he has access to the internet they wouldn't let him visit Topia...  :/

urmm, i'll let Dani chime in on this one  :cool:

#58 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,979 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:06 PM

Prisoners do not get internet.

#59 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:01 PM

is everybody on the same page, so to speak?  or the same chapter?  if so, what is the current position of the group reading the Rose, for us who are arriving to the party stylishly late?

#60 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,523 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

Prisoners do not get internet.

Many do, but it's supervised.

Sent from my HTCD100LVW using Tapatalk

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!