Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

William Leonard Pickard Has a Book Out! The Rose of Paracelsus!!!

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#61 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,360 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:31 AM

Bernhohl, I think we were discussing chapters 3 & 4

#62 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:28 AM

ah yes. the first encounter with Indigo in the Austrian Alps. leonard gets psychedelicized in one of the planet's more spectacular and gorgeous settings. notice how nicely and accurately he describes the sensation of sensorial expansion, common to the experience of sudden cosmic consciousness.....with the simultaneous sight of gliding doves, the sound of a babbling brook KILOMETERS AWAY, combined with the sounds of a cowbell and a dropping pine cone.  all this information, flooding the mind/brain, and then, finally, after being overwhelmed by the "brilliant azure sky ablaze with heaven's light," he at last, with a deep and comforting breath, submits to the Glory.  

good stuff!  a typical passage of this tome.....a passage meant to be tossed around in the mind a few times and tried on for size.  see how it fits!  

• Sidestreet and coorsmikey like this

#63 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:19 AM

and for those wondering where Owsley fits into all this grand design, and if maybe the great Bear is one of the Six, Leonard gives a clue here in 4 (Edelweiss), on page 108......"he (indigo) reflected on the first clandestine labs and the great public distributions of the Brotherhood of Eternal Love, of Augustus Owsley Stanley and Nick Sand and Tim Scully. he finally alluded to the rise of the Six, he among them and how their identities and movements remained mythopoeic and--as yet---undisturbed."  

and there ya go......leonard reels off the names of 4 of the all time chemists of the hallowed 60's (not mentioning denis kelly by name, but kelly, now a zen monk and creator of the movement known as Mondo Zen, was a main force behind the early BEL lab), and deftly separates them from the Six.  which seems to fit, right?  for if any member of this Cosmic Cabal is truly living up to their self-imposed standards of operation, then any degree of fame and notoriety whatsoever is to be eschewed....completely.  for any member of the Six to give public talks (like Sand at Burning Man a few years ago) or have web sites or wikipedia pages......to succumb to any of those temptations of the digital age would run totally counter to their chosen lifestyles and behaviors, drenched as they are, necessarily, in discretion and anonymity.

• Sidestreet, coorsmikey and Heirloom Spores like this

#64 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,360 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:33 AM

for if any member of this Cosmic Cabal is truly living up to their self-imposed standards of operation, then any degree of fame and notoriety whatsoever is to be eschewed....completely.

...which leads me to believe that WLP is not describing anyone with any accuracy.  There is so much to learn from this book, but any information that could potentially endanger a peer must be couched in dense layers of poetry, misdirection, and obscure reference.  It heaps mystique on the work.

Edited by Sidestreet, 23 July 2016 - 08:33 AM.

• Heirloom Spores likes this

#65 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:36 PM

in fact, let's acknowledge that the events that take place in chapter 4, and specifically Indigo's revelations that occur from p. 111 to 121, give rise to some of the most important passages and information in The Rose. the resumption of the Trip, which leads to Leonard's unabashed query....."did you DOSE me?".......this is some utterly remarkable writing, which it must be, because the experience is itself utterly remarkable.  and life-changing.  one can feel that leonard's gyroscope has, courtesy of the masterful and compassionate Indigo, been given quite a spin indeed!  

take note, also, of the AMOUNTS being described.  that is, the sheer size of the batches of LSD being prepared.  on page 111....."for each of us the average batch is now over 800 grams, twice the LIFETIME output of Owsley, some 16 million doses EVERY MONTH OR SO." (italics mine).  this is a stunning declaration/revelation!  consider the reality of such a feat....and its impact.  if only.......

the Trip resumes. and by 115, leonard reveals....."i was blown away."  we are, as well.  and then, Indigo "brought his forehead to mine." and what takes place, on 119 and 120......wow. 

• Sidestreet and Heirloom Spores like this

#66 PoorEdgarDerby

PoorEdgarDerby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:31 AM

I am delighted with The Rose, and enjoying other readers' impressions. A suggestion, however. We might, rather than quick comments on the quality of the writing, cite the sentences or passages that were most meaningful to us. For those who have read ahead, we might go back and do this for the early chapters now being discussed. For example, here are some of my favorite sentences from Chapter 1 through Chapter 4:

Chapter 1 (Crimson on beach): 

"... for mind that evening was so vast no mere substance dare mimic its majesty. It was the power of Grace that compelled us."

Chapter 2 (Zen monastery):

"She was laughing and pointing up at the sky when the light blinded her. We staggered outside. The silhouettes of schoolchildren were etched into the consulate walls. Mothers with prams, the pink kites, our little friends, the rose gardens, all gone ..."

Chapter 3 (Harvard):

"as she approached the beatitudes, eclipses of the moon began spreading across her face."

Chapter 4 (Indigo at Salzburg):

"Imagine his singular neocortex, his inspired joy. Imagine his loneliness."

Read the extraordinary scene where Indigo places his forehead to the narrator's (p. 119-120):

"'Listen', he said.

20.2 kilometers above the Serengeti ....

(and ending with) I felt like a child hearing their first poem, as if it were the springtime of our mind."

But what are your favorite lines or events in these chapters? I see that Heirloom Spores and Side Street are careful readers, Bernhohl for sure.  What are your most memorable passages?

Let's do this before discussing the transformative Chapter 5, on Vermilion in Berlin.

- POE

Edited by PoorEdgarDerby, 28 July 2016 - 08:32 AM.

• Sidestreet and Heirloom Spores like this

#67 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,360 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:20 AM

"The unearthly light of the camillias, before the rain washed the last petals away, manifested for some seconds.  After Crimson, archives of the unconscious sometimes emerged.  Shells burst overhead, heads blown off, entrails eviscerated.  Harvardians in the Royal Scot Fusiliers, Royal Canadian Highlanders, and even foreign students in the German army, all slaying and slain.  Radcliffe women, volunteer ambulance drivers at the front, at night no headlights, shell-pitted roads, the rapes, the poison gas, the killings...

Hulk's voice over bodies in trenches: 'First to show the American flag in France was Norman Prince, '08, '11.  Founded Lafayette Escadrille, trained under the Wright brothers.'

Surf, to me: 'Are you not feeling well?'

I quietly collected myself.  'Oh...yes.  I just have an appreciation of...desperate moments.'"

#68 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:27 AM

no entries or posts for four days?  don't know what to say, except.....it's time to go to berlin and meet the V team!  chapter 5, without a doubt one of the more memorable chapters of The Rose!  

• Sidestreet likes this

#69 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:26 PM

do we have any readers/participants willing to press onward?  this appears to be a good time to take the pulse of this thread.......

#70 PoorEdgarDerby

PoorEdgarDerby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:22 PM

Reading and participated, but currently a bit distracted.

I am in total agreement about the non-identities of the Six. I've always felt that as an outsider to such events and frankly not always the greatest student of recent history, it's highly likely any players of note are beyond my current knowing. Which honestly makes it all the more engaging for me.

I don't want to backtrack the thread more, but I'd like to know how much the start affects other readers' views of the Narrator. A much more introspective view, even before the monastery. It will certainly be a mentality to keep in mind as we approach an international stage, with less intellectual and enlightened individuals. 

#71 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,327 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:38 PM

Obama just commuted several hundred prisoners who had life sentences for drug related "crimes", I wonder if Pickard got off?

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 06 August 2016 - 07:38 PM.

#72 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:01 PM

it's getting more and more obvious....we're going to miss Mr. Obama when he leaves.  he's grown very nicely into being a true statesman and a reasonable man.  witness his reasonableness with Cuba, as he stepped up and rectified a situation that needed to be put to bed.  his commuting the sentences of so many who are wasting their lives away in prison for ridiculous "mandatory" sentences involving the sale of marijuana and psychedelics is just another example of his reasonableness, which is a trait that is much needed and desired in a POTUS.  

pickard did NOT get the benefit of a presidential pardon.  hope springs eternal.  and Obama will likely do some more commuting before he leaves in 5 months.  certainly in leonard's case, he has put in 16 years now.....SIXTEEN YEARS.....for his "crimes." i'm quite satisfied that he has paid his "debt" to society by now, and would completely support his unconditional release from that hellhole in arizona. the brain police can go fuck themselves, without the benefit of even the most mediocre lube.  

#73 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,881 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

Another Leonard P. (political prisoner) has been waiting 39 years for the same. 

#74 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,314 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

We need a leader to rise up take it upon their self to start a petition for these others who need a pardon.

I am no leader but I will sign.

I admire Obama for his pardons of prisoners and he gave out more medals for military than the ones who start wars.

I want peace  and people deserve pardons.

#75 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,327 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:36 PM

I still want to vote for "This Guy". (See post in God and country if you have no idea what I'm talking about)

#76 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:29 PM

shall we begin?  chapter 5, that is?  if i may.......

it's instantly made apparent.....this will be an encounter of sophistication, elegance, and luxury, all bonded together in a roux of pure, unabashed Eros. we get an unmistakable hint of this, when the audible female "ululations" (a word that has become associated with raging terrorists, so it's very nice here to see it used in a refreshing erotic context) must be taken at face value, to be explained in the obvious way. and by the time leonard reports that he had "entered some realm of the sacred and profane," we can go ahead and trust this notion.....completely.  

• Heirloom Spores and PoorEdgarDerby like this

#77 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,314 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:45 PM

I should get an absente ballot and write in his name myself.

bernhohl  nice description

#78 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,314 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:58 PM

> bernhohl " entered some realm of the sacred and profane "  ^^

This reminds of something I read about the ancient Zen tea ceremony.

both the heaven and earth are real, but they are not two. Bridge them - so tea becomes a prayer , so the most profane thing becomes the most sacred. It is a symbol.

Though with WL Pickard being a Buddhist  he knows this.

• Alder Logs, PoorEdgarDerby and bernhohl like this

#79 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:29 AM

tea a prayer? indeed.  lovely!  and yes, i suspect leonard would be quick to confirm....in a monastery, as he shows us in chapter 2, the common indulgence of modern man to hurriedly wolf his food is unknown. and that reminds me of castaneda, who noted how deliberately and quietly don juan would consume his meal.  

early in chapter 5, we sense that leonard's radar begins to react and tingle.  and then, as Vermilion begins to converse and interact with him, "there was a sensation of the long dormant kundalini at the base of my spine uncoiling with fire and life, from my tongue to my genitals. At its writhing like Eden's serpent, i knew this interview would be like no other." 

this notion turns out to be prescient.....to the max!  

• Heirloom Spores and PoorEdgarDerby like this

#80 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,327 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:13 PM

So... 16 million doses a month.  where did it all go? No way that many doses were actually consumed, there must be a large stash....somewhere.

• fungi2bwith and Heirloom Spores like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!