Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

William Leonard Pickard Has a Book Out! The Rose of Paracelsus!!!

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#81 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:14 AM

it does make one wonder.  about the 16 million doses, that is.  i would guess that approximately one/sixteenth of that stash will be consumed by the citizens in the lovely town of Black Rock City between now and Labor Day!  Black Rock City.....has this lively, ephemeral, and unique town ever been visited by any...or all....of The Six?  

• Heirloom and SteampunkScientist like this

#82 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,487 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

I think we can all agree that after the first time we experienced being "one with the universe "  we would consider 16 million hits a good personal stash to be given freely.  When you consider acid is available in every country and small town it wouldn't last long.

I used to buy 100 hits just for me and to give to friends to trip with me. I thought of that as personal use, a friend of mine often had 10k .

• wharfrat, SteampunkScientist and bernhohl like this

#83 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:36 PM

listening to you all makes me want to read the book.. i shoulda entered the raffle for $10 when i had the chance  :biggrin:

• Heirloom , PoorEdgarDerby and whirledpeas like this

#84 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Just Another Member

• App Administrator
  • 3,606 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:27 AM

listening to you all makes me want to read the book.. i shoulda entered the raffle for $10 when i had the chance  :biggrin:

I got a copy you can read, I can bring it the next time I visit.
  • Heirloom and wharfrat like this

#85 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,760 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

Bringing up burning man.... yeah, would like to be there this year! Got to get out to that at least once.

#86 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

Black Rock City is nothing less than extraordinary.  for one week, it is easily the most psychedelic city on Earth.  

but back to vermilion and berlin.....i mean, are you all reading this amazing section of The Rose?  folks, there is some STUFF goin' down here in this chapter!  especially with the introduction of the memorable Vixens of Vermilion, V1 and V2.  

but before meeting Polyhymnia (V1), we are exposed to another outrageous revelation and reality that only these epic alchemists have been privy to......"Planetary quantities consume the soul, the intellect. They are not the single doses used for introspection and aesthetic enhancement. Only a handful of people have been in the presence of such amounts. Indigo lived through the greatest exposure in human history." 

#87 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:02 PM

Bringing up burning man.... yeah, would like to be there this year! Got to get out to that at least once.

I want to go as well!

#88 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:28 AM

if you want to go to Black Rock City....do it!  i know way too many people who have yearned to go for years, but somehow, never make it happen.  and these are people who live very close to Nevada's Black Rock Desert, people who live in Nevada and California.  meanwhile, people from Munich, Edinburgh, and Sydney fly in every year, making Burning Man a truly international event.  those are the Burners who don't just talk the talk, but walk the walk. 

on Saturday night, The Burn will take place and Black Rock City will explode in what is easily the greatest and grandest and largest and loudest party on this planet.  watch the live stream for a 2-D experience.  To Burn is to Learn, Vern.......

meanwhile....is anyone still reading this remarkable book of mr. pickard's?  it seems the discussion has stalled, which is unfortunate. such a worthy book.....filled with images, notions, potions, and possibilities......

• Sidestreet and PoorEdgarDerby like this

#89 PoorEdgarDerby

PoorEdgarDerby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

such a worthy book.....filled with images, notions, potions, and possibilities......

I like this. I like this a lot.

folks, there is some STUFF goin' down here in this chapter!  especially with the introduction of the memorable Vixens of Vermilion, V1 and V2.  

Excellent comments, but I agree to disagree. I hardly would consider V-1 and V-2 as "vixens," however, given the attitude of worship in their encounters. They are utterly grounded, accomplished women, dedicated to the art, and cannot be objectified.

Chapter 5 with Vermilion and the first women of the Six - given the hallucinatory erotica (a proximity effect from V and our ravishing Sapphic models and operatives) - has the tone of an initiation into the sensual and transformative practices of the Six. It is not leering, but requires a serious "commitment to reverence." 

True, this is indeed the first chapter to address the sexuality of the Six, and the mythical and religious components of addiction. The Sisterhood of V-1 and V-2, their sublime desires and overwhelming appearance, and their interventions through medieval methods and chants, all evolve to transform a girl addict through the most stunning embrace in psychedelic literature. We leave V-1 & V-2 with poignancy and honor.

propose that all online read Chapter 5 very carefully, and comment here through the end of September. If there is a hook chapter, especially for undergraduates, this is it (while recognizing Chapter 4, with Indigo in Salzburg, is unforgettable writing, see forehead to forehead phenomena, p. 119-120). 

Can we hear from SideStreet and perhaps Honey Badger and other readers on Chapter 5? Lovely comment on tea ceremony, Heirloom.

More of your favorite lines, Bernhole?

"They pleasured each other before me, their eyes now aquamarine, now with diamond radiance."

"Their beauty became the face of God, then starlight so holy I was prostrate."

"But from Berlin ever after I remembered not the howling Reich...but the goddesses of mind."

PED

• Sidestreet, Heirloom and bernhohl like this

#90 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,610 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:02 PM

V1 and V2 are stunning characters.  Superhuman, saintly.  The way they are written, we are given only the opportunity to appreciate from afar.  They say very little if they are not speaking in prayer or song.  We know they are utterly dedicated and we can marvel at their actions.  We never get to know them personally, though.  In a way they are remote and extremely private, which feels like an odd statement to make given that they are hardly shy.

• Heirloom and bernhohl like this

#91 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

PED, i must beg your pardon for my use of the word "vixen" in describing V1 and V2.  i can partly blame my love of the alliterative, which makes it obviously easy to roll with "V" words when talking of Vermilion, V1, and V2. 

that said, I do want you to know that i was using the word "vixen" to describe a female that is an alluring woman who is familiar with erotic tactics, skills, manipulations, and strategies. a woman who, with the application of those skills, indeed has considerable power and influence. i was hoping to find some justification for my usage in my webster's, but i came up empty......"vixen--1. a female fox  2. an ill-tempered, shrewish, or malicious woman."  hmm.  not just wrong, but WAY wrong when describing V1 and V2.  perhaps a better word would be.....nymph?  "a group of minor nature goddesses, young and beautiful, living in rivers, mountains, and trees."  ok, closer to it, but not quite.  perhaps they are sylphs?  "1. a slender, graceful woman or girl. 2.  IN PARACELSUS' ALCHEMICAL SYSTEM (italics mine), any of a class of mortal, soulless beings said to occupy the air."  

how interesting......to ramble across a reference to Paracelsus in my dictionary!   

but back to V1 and V2.......i think of them as tantric priestesses, capable of creating and inducing powerful transformations and epiphanies through the application of intensely effective erotic practice.  and certainly here in chapter 5, leonard is a privileged witness to this extraordinary skill. 

• Sidestreet and Heirloom like this

#92 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:42 PM

curiosities and synchronicities, on occasion, seem to appear in relation to The Rose. i must comment on a couple that became apparent tonight while perusing chapter 5 in search of especially potent lines and combinations.  lo and behold......my search for the proper adjectives to describe the stunning V1 and V2 was, apparently, familiar to our author as well. on page 136, he writes "As we contemplated the perilously attractive SYLPH V1, my efforts to maintain a neutral artist's oeuvre had become futile." aha!  and then, later on the same page, "The almost identical twin of V1 manifested, a glorious NYMPH of Athena, varying only by slightly darker hair in a short Eton crop and a tigerish look."  so again.....interesting.  i think I knew leonard had used these words to describe his new heroines, but i forgot that i knew.  

we learn that this stunning new woman is Mnemosyne....V2.  the descriptions of these two leads often to sentences of grace and pleasure. "Pressing their heads together, they turned their open faces to us, and then lifted their veiled eyes, revealing themselves to be lost in the secret apostasies of their hearts and minds and loins." Mistresses of the Forbidden, who laugh openly at such quaint notions and limitations!  and notice their names....Polyhymnia? Mnemosyne? if THOSE aren't the names of goddesses, i don't know what are!  

get used to the unspoken but certain feeling that these two women are ALWAYS in control, even if the situation calls for them to cede control.....in our introduction to the Trio of V, we get a strong sense of "we know what we are doing here." 

• Sidestreet and Heirloom like this

#93 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:58 AM

uhhh.......where'd everybody go?  are we done here?  jeez, folks.....we were just getting to the GOOD stuff.......sigh......

• PoorEdgarDerby likes this

#94 PoorEdgarDerby

PoorEdgarDerby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:37 PM

Thank you, Side Street, for your fine comment on V1 and V2: of them saying little except in prayer or song, yet being utterly dedicated. Perhaps their remoteness is due to the intensity of their practices, their awareness of addiction and their confrontations of evil. Yes, hardly shy, "the goddesses of mind." We shall miss them in The Rose, but fear not, they return in the season of roses, and with even more spectacular events.

My favorite scene in Berlin is when V1 and V2 seduced each other openly, and where their faces and bodies broke into visions, culminating in a young girl on a moor, remembering her lost lover with all her secret heart. And in the end, the trio before the moon, urging its luminosity to spill upon them.

Bernhohl, for your excellent research on nymphs and sylphs, and for first noticing the classification of Paracelsus. We could dwell on the theological implications of curing addiction through V1 and V2's medieval methods (in the midst of which they happen to be deeeeply Sapphic), but let's  try for a chapter or 2 each month, to encourage discussion. The very best is yet to come. The Rose does not flatten, but grows more intense.

Heirloom, do you have comments on V/V1/V2 in Berlin? Side Street, more? (reluctantly leaving the allures of Berlin). Dani? Others?

Awaiting Heirloom, and any finals by Side Street, let's go to the next chapters, and perhaps do both together: C6 (returning to Cambridge after the transformative Berlin night, and seeing Harvard Yard changed) and - liftoff here - the glories and tragedies of Kathmandu, and a little girl we'll always remember.

Onward to C6 & C7! Sidestreet? Dani? Heirloom? Your thoughts/favorite lines/scenes on events in Cambridge after Berlin, when Leonard can't forget the transfigurations, and the weeks in Nepal (where we first encounter Magenta): the chanting, the religious frenzies, the circumambulation of Bodhinath, the cruelty, the poignant rescue of a little one. Kathmandu touches the heart.

- PED

• Sidestreet and bernhohl like this

#95 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,610 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:09 PM

Hold please, I will respond this weekend!

#96 Furthur1

Furthur1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:54 PM

This subject perks my intrest, and i look forward to discussing the lititure that pickart has taken time to put into an interesting read.
  • Sidestreet likes this

#97 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,610 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:16 AM

Furthur1, you should definitely get your hands on this book!

#98 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:18 PM

very encouraging to see there is still some interest in keeping this discussion going.  i will wait for more comments before proceeding.  

• Sidestreet likes this

#99 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,610 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:51 AM

The first thing  that I notice upon returning to The Rose is the language.  The language is exquisite throughout.  And then there is the reason that I was intrigued enough to buy the book in the first place: the psychedelic.

"Yes.  Planetary quantities consume the soul, the intellect.  They are not the single doses used for introspection and aesthetic enhancement.  Only a handful of people have been in the presence of such amounts.  Indigo lived through the greatest human exposure in history."

"I wasn't aware."

"Ask him of that lucid night, when the ellipse of his orbit next intersects your path," Vermillion suggested, bemused at his humorous aside.

"So it's not lethal at any dose?"

"None of which we are aware.  We know of police and addicts insufflating lines of LSD, thinking it was cocaine they had stolen.  A fifty milligram line could be a thousand doses, Indigo was exposed to millions of doses within seconds."

"Perhaps under the red light of an operating lab?" I suggested, recalling Indigo's descriptions.  "Like working on a planet near Betelgeuse?"

"I rather think of it as the scarlet light of Antares, but with two white consorts," Vermillion replied, granting a rare smile.

Of course, the two white consorts are V1 and V2.

And then in Chapter 5 comes the redemption of the "young woman cocaine addict."  This theme of world addiction to the worst opiates and speed unleashed by man reaches me.  It feels genuine and I am moved by the the message this book holds in relation to that subject.  The descriptions of suffering addicts and the hell-realms they inhabit are devastating:

Deeper into the caverns among groups of men and girls in lurid pursuits, the huntresses searched for their patient.  They moved relentlessly as the ribald shrieks of lost sirens sounded in the heat, the press of bodies like the pawing of restless stables.  Within one isolated cave, dimly lit by guttering black candles, V1 found her.  She was seated tearfully before several Moroccan coke dealers, the powder and craving evident, as they stood before her trading lines for sexual favors, manhandling her youthful flesh and resigned lubricity.  We were in some infernal Baal.

Similar scenes do exist around the world.  Just yesterday I read the similar story of a mother trading sex for heroin.  I remember the story of a woman who similarly traded her little daughter for crack.  True stories.  The location here is exotic, but every location in this book is exotic.  The point is that this subject received any kind of honest treatment at all.

As high as this book soars, is as low as it descends.

• SteampunkScientist and bernhohl like this

#100 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,487 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:42 PM

It occurred to me today that the topic of this book should not be discussed  as we may reveal
secrets. Why was this message written?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!