Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

William Leonard Pickard Has a Book Out! The Rose of Paracelsus!!!

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#101 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,052 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:25 AM

I would bet he would never endanger another person. If he was that kind of guy he would be free .

• Sidestreet likes this

#102 PoorEdgarDerby

PoorEdgarDerby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:17 PM

From a complete reading of The Rose, it is clear that identities and chronologies are changed to protect individuals, while sharing the lessons they wish public. The Rose is a public service. 

So insightful, Side Street, that you note that the Six may be facets of the author's life. Very intriguing concept. For most readers, though, the Six are independent. And yes, easily a work of literature based on non-fiction.

But thank you Side Street, for those perfect observations. Yes, the "two white consorts" could only be V-1 and V-2. But we must say farewell, until later in The Rose, to this luminous triad. They re-appear on a most stunning and unforgettable occasion..

I see that Leonard did an interview on about 7/29 on The Rose for http://theinfluence....-the-influence/(that's the first interview in 16 years). We hope he will appear on Topia soon. 

How interesting that Side Street, Bernhohl and your Poor Edgar have all carefully read The Rose, and re-read it, and are now moved to share lines and scenes with new readers. Let's go to Chapter 6 (The Fire Hose) and Chapter 7 (Mother Goddess of the World), shall we?

In Chapter 6, Leonard returns from the transformative events in Berlin, the Sapphic duo, the addict girl, the chanting and invocations and intense erotica, to the rigors of Cambridge and Harvard. Of course he's changed by contact with the Six: "for in Cambridge, as among the Six, one mingled with dream projections, and seemed entrained in great events...Harvard had been a phantasm of cognition for centuries, and our own mad chemists had invented napalm .... both Harvard students and the Six practiced the hallowed and unhallowed arts."

How about this one: "I sometimes in lectures recalled from Salzburg the very failure of words, and from Berlin the hot moon."

He's referring the the mountain trek with Indigo, and coming on to an altered state, where Indigo's many languages and dialects seem to have the perfection of some advanced intelligence, and to the forehead contact with Indigo, where great visions of the planet manifested ("Listen ...look....feel...(p. 119-120+). During classes, he's recalling Berlin, the luminous orb above the naked women, a trio arm-in-arm, singing glorias of gratitude. 

The Fire Hose (Ch. 6) has the drug tsar of India as a classmate, stories of the police chief of Singapore, increasing tension ("I knew it was a remnant from the Six, and not from me, but I felt as though I were running from something."  The crack and heroin addicts of Boston. The joyous, lightly erotic students in Houghton Library. Even a scene with the DEA Administrator at a reception - most memorable! Half-naked Harvard students dancing by firelight with Amazonian headdresses and goats on spits (an occasional held annually!). The most beautiful scene on the moonlit steps of Widener Library ("the pulse of the world followed us that night, we the moon-keepers"). Rich, dense, beautiful - and the others of the Six yet to be encountered..

I've said enough. And Side Street, you of the fine, nuanced comments, what reached you in The Fire Hose? Details, please! Bernhohl, we hardly can wait. Honey Badger, Heirloom Spores, Dani, and new readers - tell us of your journey. You'll never be the same.

- Poor Edgar Derby

• Sidestreet likes this

#103 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,292 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for your post, Poor Edgar Derby.  I will need some time to digest it and offer a worthy response.  I'm looking forward to reading that interview as well.

#104 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:12 PM

in Chapter 6, The Fire Hose, we are presented, as usual, with a vivid contrast. This time, we are able to contrast the soaring psychedelic visions and epiphanies of Austria and Berlin with the brutal, soul-sucking grimness of the inner city heroin junkie.  Leonard's visit into the depths of Boston (pages 159-161) in order to get first hand research into the recent dangerous penetrations of ultra powerful fentanyl is unforgettable.....and completely bleak. the onslaught of images, while unpleasant, is also fascinating.....and instructive.  

lo and behold!  this timely quote from p. 164....a quote from the 16th president of Harvard, Josiah Quincy.  "Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."  

• Sidestreet likes this

#105 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,292 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:14 AM

Chapter 6 returned us to Harvard as well as the company of the aforementioned addicts, two locations just as exotic as any other in the book.  So few people have personal experience in these extreme environments.  Of course, the latter experience is sadly becoming far more common.

Harvard is the pinnacle of privilege.  It may only be accessed by the narrowest selection of intellectual and societal elites.  The author conjures Harvard and its fascinating history for the rest of us in the characters' exploration and banter.  I love when they go into the rare book library and discover the unique historical gems there. 

The author seems to walk straight into the lion's mouth when he goes to see the DEA chief, an opportunity that he could not pass up but which seems to have yielded little of use besides the sheer white-knuckled thrill of seeing the Golgothan face to face.

And then we move to the other closed society, the addicts: pariahs who regard newcomers with suspicion but whose society can be accessed even by our obviously out-of-place hero with "an admission of the prison years," some knowledge of their drug of choice, and then with a few bucks.

Forgive me, I struggle to digest and respond in this way.  It's a good challenge.  I'll be back with more.  :)  Thank you, Edgar and Bernhohl, for your keen insight and encouragement.

Edited by Sidestreet, 22 November 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#106 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

after enduring the skull cramping trauma of finals at HU...."the post final fragmentation of our tender neurologies led to striking and distracted gazes......almost all of us were humbled, permanently".........we see our protagonist once again in the sky, heading east, to the mightiest mountains on Earth, skeptical that any further contact with The Six is near......"for only Magenta and Cobalt had not appeared, and were unlikely to do so in Nepal." 

hmmmmmm.......maybe.  but.....maybe not.  always remember, Leonardo......expect the unexpected.  especially when dealing with El Seis!  

• Sidestreet likes this

#107 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,144 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:06 PM

Well I finally got my copy. Shit! That's a good thick book!
  • Sidestreet likes this

#108 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,292 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:34 AM

Well I finally got my copy. Shit! That's a good thick book!

Awesome!  Glad to have another reader on board.

#109 PoorEdgarDerby

PoorEdgarDerby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

Thank you, Side Street, it is exciting to see your detailed impressions. Please expand as much as possible with your balanced and sensitive thoughts! I agree the scene with students in Houghton Library at Harvard was delightful. Bernhohl, perfect as always. Steampunk - we hope you catch up soon, but carefully (especially on Chps 4 & 5).

Bernhohl is right, Chp. 7 (meeting Magenta in Nepal - "Mother Goddess of the Word") takes us far from Harvard to the Himalayas and the next of the Six, a sturdy Englishman from Oxford. As Magenta's walking stick taps out the rhythm (p. 185), the circumambulation of the great Stupa at Bodhinath and spinning of its prayer wheels are described in phrases of glory, listen:

"We circled the mesmerizing ancient clockwork, telegraphing peace throughout the ten directions...the spinning a spiral of reveries until we nodded at the wailing wall of Jerusalem...ceaselessly recited a thousand sutra at Dharamsala...whirled with out arms out and faces upward like dervishes, and cycled among unknown lovers in the holy orgies of the Epidaurians."

Being amplified by the presence of Bodhinath (p. 186), "manifold tsunamis of compassionate thought radiated outward and inward to engulf the song of the whippoorwill and the merciful rains."

"In the wake of cognitive phenomena, I rushed to pray for the children of the world, for the sick, for the grace of normal consciousness ..." (p. 186).

The explorations with Magenta heighten with every turn: the beggars at the Eye Clinic in Kathmandu, the chanting and bodies burning at Pashupanipath, the stolen and diseased newborn on the steps above the ghats, Magenta's demonstration of enhanced memory while a Nepalese women slowly sweeps by the saddhus, and most of all, the unforgettable scenes of the abused orphan girl, rescued by Magenta and the author. Unforgettable indeed.

Sidestreet, your feelings on these and other scenes that reached you? Steampunk, if you're up with us? Bernhohl, more on Kathmandu in your excellent and insightful way?

In contact privately with other readers. Some results for Topia: The Rose is being read in the U.K., Europe, South Africa, Australia, Thailand. One reader did it in a single sitting (in his shower) in 14 hours, then began more slowly. Many re-read a second or third time. One took 4 months, others do it 4 hours a day for 5 days, mornings with no distractions. We are privileged to be among the first, and certainly the first to discuss it chapter by chapter.

The Rose is growing intensely as the narrative develops. It doesn't stop, ever. It does require a "commitment to reverence" and careful reading. Transforming. Enter if you are able...

- PED

• Sidestreet likes this

#110 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,144 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:32 PM

Mr. Pickard most certainly loves his abjectives and adverbs does he not? I sometimes think I'm reading Lovecraft while he describes walking along the river at Harvard.

I half expected Cathulu to rise out of the river...

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 01 January 2017 - 09:32 PM.

#111 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,426 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:24 PM

been off the grid, just heard of this today, ordering copy, and will catch up, (ketchup?)

got to love amazon, i'll have it in two days!

Edited by happy4nic8r, 01 January 2017 - 11:28 PM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#112 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,144 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:46 PM

A lot deeper in, I see it now. What the world once looked like through the eyes of a child. What it could be. What it should be like. The Light that the Beast wants to devour.

This forum is part of that light.
  • Sidestreet and coorsmikey like this

#113 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,144 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:00 AM

A side note about Leonard Pickard's conviction.  Not sure how many of you have ever heard of a particularly nasty little slime-ball skank named "Krystal Cole" - who preports to write on and take entheogens, but when push came to shove was implicit in kidnapping and brutally torturing a kid, and finally ratting out several people that eventually led to the convictions against Pickard.  You may have seen "Neurosoup" her website or videos.  Heck I have watched them in the past (always thought she was a bit "off" - but man! what a bitch!).

You can read more on this here: https://wiki.wetfish.net/neurosoup

and here: https://www.reddit.c...l_and_a_snitch/

• Sidestreet and Heirloom Spores like this

#114 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,292 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

You can also read much more about her in The Rose!  It's at the end, Chapter 29.  Be careful, that chapter is disturbing and graphic.  You might say that you can't unread it.

Edited by Sidestreet, 05 January 2017 - 05:04 PM.

• Heirloom Spores likes this

#115 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,144 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

Oh, I already read the part about V1 and V2 at Laos. So... Already can't un-see that.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 05 January 2017 - 08:08 PM.

• Sidestreet likes this

#116 PoorEdgarDerby

PoorEdgarDerby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

Thank you, Steampunk; good to see you're reading!

Just so you know, readers on this forum are aware of the case issues, which are best addressed on the many other sites which host comments on the legal issues.

Here, the discussion is different: we are very carefully reviewing/analyzing each chapter of The Rose in sequence (so that new readers can follow more easily), and are now beginning Chapter 7 ("Mother Goddess of the World" on Magenta in Nepal). The active participants, often Side Street, Bernhohl, yours truly and others, have all read The Rose at least once, some 2-3 times. This discussion is clearly the most thoughtful on the Net.

Best leave comments relative to Chapter 29 for a group review at the appropriate time (and ad hominem statements for lesser sites); we have a vast territory to explore - it will be at least a year before approaching the particular darkness of Chapter 29. Note that it comprises less than 3% of The Rose, being trivial to the teachings and memories of the Six. That said, you might begin by discussing the prior chapters (already reviewed here), i.e. details/quotes of your favorite scenes, statements, events, perceptions. Your thoughts on Indigo in Austria and Vermilion in Berlin would be of particular value, as you come to those. Soon, you'll be up to speed with Chp. 7.

Side Street, you have such fine sensitivity to The Rose, and a deep understanding of the material. Let us hear more of your insights, please, now of Magenta in Kathmandu!

As experienced readers of The Rose, we might also point out subtleties likely missed by first or hasty readers. I'll leave with a teaser: did you notice the silver ring on Magenta's hand, when he appeared in Kathmandu? He of the strong arms. Do you think he might have been the sweeper in the cafe in Salzburg, perhaps part of a Six team earlier monitoring Indigo and Leonard? 

- PED

• Sidestreet and SteampunkScientist like this

#117 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 7,292 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

Thank you for being our guide, PoorEdgarDerby!  We'll try to stay on topic. 

There's so much to digest in this book.  It's so exquisitely dense, like a neutron star.  And then it incorporates innumerable fine works by reference.  I feel like I could spend the better part of a lifetime trying to take them all in.

#118 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,321 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:00 AM

I just acquired my copy....So I'm a little late to the party. 

I can't wait to get started.....This comment from the aforementioned interview piqued my interest that much more. 

"Yet the subjects who are interviewed, each known by a cryptonym and collectively as “The Six,” regard it as a record of the first senses and tentative abilities of the next human species."

• Sidestreet likes this

#119 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,426 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:41 AM

I just got started as well. Had to look up words on my phone in the hotel room I was holed up in for the week of bad weather.

Takes me right back to the sixties/seventies at UC Berkeley learning organic chemistry!

It's been a long time since I've thought about those days and people.

What fun! 

• Sidestreet likes this

#120 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,426 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:57 PM

almost everyone talks, pillows are not for secrets, only ignorance is invincible to inquisitors...

a wise man was once asked, "what would you want if you could have anything?"

Ignorance was his answer.

Setting an awesome stage here. Sorry I'm late to the party, this book is pretty amazing.

• Sidestreet and coorsmikey like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!