Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

William Leonard Pickard Has a Book Out! The Rose of Paracelsus!!!

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#161 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

but we will never be worthy of evolution and departure if we turn our precious and astounding planet into an uninhabitable cesspool.  you see that any species that would foul its crib so thoroughly would therefore, by definition, be unfit to leave that crib?  yes?  and does anybody have anything to say about....you know.....The Rose?  

• Sidestreet likes this

#162 PoorEdgarDerby

PoorEdgarDerby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

Good to hear you again Sidestreet, with that fine insight and comment on polymaths (and welcome back Bernhohl). You're right, the Six are polymaths: encouraging others to reach heightened potential (see Indigo's comments in Chp. 4 (p. 118-p. 119), above Salzburg, on their becoming aware of enhanced perception, memory and cognition).

A note: there was a recording of Leonard reading a passage from The Rose in prison, played at the Breaking Convention in London in late June (reportedly the "forehead" scene, p. 119, "He placed his hands ..." through p. 120, "He lifted his head ..."). It was part of a presentation on the case and The Rose by London artist/radio host Simon Tyszko, Whole Foods founder Greg Sams, and professor of literature Nese Devenot, all of whom read from The Rose onstage in the main room at Breaking. The presentation may be online on Vimeo soon..

And Hi to Darci - note that Star Trek is mentioned indirectly in The Rose. Have you seen it yet?

Back shortly with comments on Chps. 8-9. Wonderful to get underway again in mid-summer.

- PED

• Sidestreet likes this

#163 PoorEdgarDerby

PoorEdgarDerby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

And here we have the audience reaction to readings of The Rose
at University of Greenwich London at Breaking conference 2017.

Enjoy! Please RT and share.

- PED

• Sidestreet and camirae like this

#164 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

i watched a very good documentary about the legendary Brotherhood of Eternal Love last night.  a film called Orange Sunshine.  very well done, the movie reminds us of the charisma of the great John Griggs, the connection between The Brotherhood and Leary (they helped Tim escape from jail in San Luis Obispo), and the startling political philosophy of the BEL.....let's take acid and save the world. 

the reason i mention this film.....at the very end, one of the BEL principals, mike randall, says very matter of factly that the Brotherhood was responsible for spreading the psychedelic gospel via a Six-like amount of LSD......as in 120 million hits, in all.  and it instantly struck me......Crimson, Vermilion, Indigo, Magenta, and Cobalt would all say.....120 million hits?  NOW we're talkin! 

• Sidestreet and camirae like this

#165 camirae

camirae

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:26 PM

This is so great, this conversation about this wonderful book. :) 

I watched a documentary early this morning and in it i was intrigued that it spoke of when funding for LSD research was suddenly withdrawn that some of the research scientist continued but just like, underground?   Anyway, it reminded me of page 25 chapter Highlander. 

Also, i found interesting that the response to the author when asked about the "6th" person was "That discovery we must leave to you, and your readers."

Seems there is a mystery to that unlike the others? In that the 6th could be a potential, or even discovering himself or with the readers n themselves?

Just saying, not to think too much into it but i do feel the author intended dialogue, ,mystery and love of subject matter. Whatever.

(excuse my spelling and repeat or missing letters sometimes i have the worst computer ever..and short term memory "issues" so i cant always babysit the keys and they stick, repeat, fail etc while trying to hold my thought to completion ) <3

oh here's a link to the documentary   

[Direct Link]

• Sidestreet, Spooner and wharfrat like this

#166 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:29 AM

hi camirae and welcome to our little tea party (said the mad hatter).  and just so you know where we are in our discussion of The Rose, we're just finishing up chapter 8 (Von Neumann's Playground) and prepping to head into 9.  

thanks for the link to the mystery doc.....i'll check it out.  

• camirae likes this

#167 bernhohl

bernhohl

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:31 AM

I'm having a little download problem with the link.  do you remember the title of this doc, camirae?  

#168 camirae

camirae

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

yes :) it is called 'Inside LSD full length documentary' and the channel that put it out there is HeavyHometownNewWave

#169 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,252 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

I finally gave in today and went into my local independent bookstore and tried to order this book.  They will only search from some single supplier and there was no finding this title.   This in not the first title I haven't been able to get there, so I may have to start getting books elsewhere (it will not be Amazon). 

• Sidestreet likes this

#170 camirae

camirae

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:17 PM

here is a source :) https://kalosbooks.c...ant=35616908114  

kalosbooks.com

I finally gave in today and went into my local independent bookstore and tried to order this book.  They will only search from some single supplier and there was no finding this title.   This in not the first title I haven't been able to get there, so I may have to start getting books elsewhere (it will not be Amazon). 

• Sidestreet likes this

#171 PoorEdgarDerby

PoorEdgarDerby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:27 PM

Thank you, Bernhohl. I'll join you and try to post each Sunday (no later than Wednesday of each week). I see that postings tend to go off on long tangents unrelated to The Rose. Unless we are to descend into a general bulletin board, rather than a discussion of the book, let's ask actual readers (vs. casual commenters) to try and *tether each posting to a page number or scene in The Rose.* For example, Sidestreet's earlier comment on "polymaths" was well-stated, and referred to Chp 8 (202 - Von Neumann's Playground). This way, those following this group will have solid references to the actual reading.

Perhaps Topia can propose a new moderator to clear up the thread and keep it on topic.

For those participants who are actively reading (or have read, or hope to read) The Rose, notice Bernhohl's reference to the excellent and very moving post-apocalyptic scenario described by Cobalt (212-213) ("The time when we are all as but dead leaves, moving across barren soils and into lifeless oceans.")

Bernhohl, if you'll post each week and link your comment to an actual line/page number, I'll do the same. Actual readers are requested to do the same.

In closing our discussion on Chp. 8 (if Sidestreet or others have no further notes on this writing), I will point to some sections of great beauty. Look at the narrator's altered state with Cobalt by Lake Carnegie at Princeton (208-209)("The ripples at the edge of vision became undone into trigonometric functions ... in the end there was only a soundless purity ...")

And Sidestreet, on polymaths and advanced capacities of the Six: "Cobalt was singular among the Six, darting among topics with a scientific glee; the range of his thought was exhilarating. Grand unified theories ... hot Jupiter planets, interstellar probe-class instruments." (212). There are many later examples of the Six being polymaths.

But an open question: what do readers think is the reason for inclusion of the section on the severely damaged girl (216-220), one of the most poignant vignettes in The Rose?

- PED

#172 PoorEdgarDerby

PoorEdgarDerby

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:04 PM

Very insightful, Bernhohl, that you related Cobalt's concerns with "classified probabilities" in Chp. 8 (213) to last weeks loss of the massive Antarctic ice field. That's an important link to The Rose! Here's yet another example of the author's prescience of worldwide calamities:

At the Breaking Convention on June 30, 2017 at the University of Greenwich London, a recording of a 5 minute reading by Leonard was played to the audience. As noted in an earlier posting here, it was the shamanic overview of the earth and human condition from Chp. 4 (119-220). How interesting that the reading contained a mention of the ice field, published a year earlier and read publicly only one week before the field's demise. Here it is:

"15.1 kilometers above the Vinson Massif, Antarctica. Last calvings of the Larsen Ice Shelf." (120). Indeed, it was a Delaware-sized portion of the Larsen shelf that disintegrated last week.

- PED.

#173 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,461 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 05:50 AM

It is nice to see some action on this thread again. 

Perhaps Topia can propose a new moderator to clear up the thread and keep it on topic.

It's not really our style to reach back and edit threads unless they are being manicured for inclusion in the Vaults.  Our members tend to interpret that kind of thing as Orwellian.  I think Bernhohl and you, PED, are doing a decent job of letting people know how you would like the discussion to go.  That's appropriate because you are leading it, but in the end the members can post what they like as long as it's respectful and not too disruptive.  I agree that the thread will be better off if the posts stick to The Rose and I'm happy to step in if things go too far.

But an open question: what do readers think is the reason for inclusion of the section on the severely damaged girl (216-220), one of the most poignant vignettes in The Rose?

That passage is one of the more impactful.  Eve's frightful condition reminds me of the Nepalese girl from chapter 7 (180-181; 195-199) in that she is another example of the kind of suffering humanity is capable of generating.  These two little girls' conditions are an example of what could be on the scale of whole populations if we experience any of the apocalyptic scenarios we've been discussing.  Except if everyone is reduced to that level, then there are no saviors among us to spirit us away to the kindly childless couple (197) or even to take our hand and sing "What a Wonderful World" (218).  At the same time, they are examples of the potent healing power of compassion.

Edited by Sidestreet, Today, 05:52 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!