184 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:34 AM

So I planted some tomatoe seeds and Dagga seeds about a week ago and :) I have some sprouts :) Heres hoping I can add some pictures of the garden this year ....ah I will find a way ;) .........So I have 3 seeds per pot and in about 2-3 weeks they will go into their own pots and I will have too many tomatoes I usually give some away after picking some nice sturdy ones I usually need about 15 plants to put into my buddys garden (my big garden) it helps when you have help with a big garden............The Dagga I had sooo many people wanting me to start one for them so I started lots :) I love that the only thing to drink the nector here is humming birds you need a skinny long beak to get the nectr outa these flowers they are huge too the ones my mom grew last year were about 6 feet tall :) everyone loves them cause no one else has them they have never seen them before and they love the idea that they are food for the huming birds :) ........my Aunt won a prize at the fair for her flower arangement that used these flowers :) so had to plant here some more too ;) a nice trade off since she helps me at tax time ;)..........almost forgot the tomatoes are Bonny's best heirloom .....beautiful slicers nice and round and they finish early which helps when I live in the north and have a shorter growing time then most of you have here...........I usually still have to ripen them indors to get the most out of them but they last pretty good.......I freze a bunch of them to use all winter in sauces :)

Edited by wildedibles, 29 March 2016 - 06:39 AM.

• PsyBearknot, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,182 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:51 AM

Sounds nice WildE. I haven't tried those Bonny's Best, I'm going to have to look into them, thanks for knowledge.

Keep it growing :)

EDIT: Spring.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 29 March 2016 - 12:33 PM.

• shiitakegrower, wildedibles, Alder Logs and 1 other like this

#3 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:17 PM

Looking forward to hearing/seeing your progress !
  • wildedibles likes this

#4 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2016 - 02:17 AM

WildE's soilmix 2016 .......the peat moss and the cow poop finally defrosted so I can make more seedling mix :).......... I have one whole big yogurt contanier full of fine crushed egg shells.......so 1 part egg shells......2 parts verm.........2 part perlite.........5-10parts peat moss?? see what it feels like looks like .........2-3parts bagged cow poop its not strong keep it on the low side until plants are older but it provides nutes in perfect quanity for seedlings :) .....egg shells helps develope a strong thick stem
  • PsyBearknot, Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:13 AM

Soil is mixed and I ended up using ...............1 part egg shells.............2 parts verm.............2parts perlite.................7 parts bagged cow poo..............and 15 parts peat moss................this had a good look and feel too it not too much verm and perlite compared to black dirt ..............I need to plant some celery seeds thanks to a friend I get to try and grow a pink herloom, reg celery and celery root to try :) ................and I have a few weed seeds to throw in too :) dont know where I will put them ahh I will find a spot :) ...............and since my tomatoes are big enough to seperate and the Dagga too I will be seperating them one to a pot instead of 2-3 then they can grow bigger :) ..............oh I forgot I need to take cuttings from my sunopener too it issoo huge it grows like a willow of some sort needing huge a,ounts of water to be happy every day I need to water this plant it looks like its gonna flower so I will leave a few branches long on the plant for it to flower this year again for me last year i took too many cuttings not leaving older wood to flower so I didnt get any this year I will leearn ;)
  • Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,182 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:58 AM

Sounds good WildE, I wish you a successful grow season.

I too am growing some new kinds of plants this season. A very kind soul here on the site turned me on to a short seasoned tomato that I am looking forward to growing out.

They are started in some grow plugs under lights right now. I am in the process of building some raised beds to grow them in as we speak. I still need to get some more soil, but I think I can get it all done in time for our short season.

As long as I don't get too stoned, and get side tracked I should be good.....
  • PsyBearknot, wildedibles, MycoMisfit and 1 other like this

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:29 AM

man oh man I had to recover yesterday I ovr did it repotting and alll the other stuff around here I feeling better now:) ........ I need more growing room ......... I might be looking at ideas to cover the plants outside unless it get really cold one night then we an bring them into the front portch to keep warmer .......... this portch gets no sunlight or it be in use as a green house already ;) ............I might just mak another hanging window thingy for my plants????......something I need more room :) always do this time of year its still to cold to plant .....well not the root veggies they can go in now onion, radish and carrots are in already beets soon.........my budy helped me plant this year I am glad as I was sick with the stomach flu and bad migranes when I usually put the carrots and onions in so my buddy planted for me :) this is why I love to share a garden :)
  • PsyBearknot, Juthro, wharfrat and 1 other like this

#8 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,481 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:46 AM

I got a few of Bonnies Best  and heirloom  red beefstake already have several blooms. I am growing a pink heirloom and a black krim and old Russian variety. I got quite a few started from seed under grow lights along with melons and poppy.

have a good grow

• wildedibles, Juthro and TyPi like this

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:55 PM

:) nice good luck with your grow too buddy :) ..............I started making a hanging garden window in another windw :) really needed more room .....May the plants can go outdoors here under plastic but we just had two dys of -12C windchill here and its the wind that finds its way threw plastic so they need to be indoors a few more weeks and I need the head start with short growing season here...................I have been reading some interesting stuff on celery growing :) I love celery and at $4 this winter I am paying for it but do not wanna pay that much holy cow??
  • PsyBearknot, Juthro and Heirloom like this

#10 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,182 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:46 PM

Big fan of celery here too, but like most fruit and veggie's here they are expensive, and often not as fresh as you would like.

With regular celery, we have had good luck growing it indoors, as well as out. It was very happy, and growing like gangbusters in an east facing window in our house. There it would only get direct light for 2 1/2 or 3 hours at most in the morning, but good indirect light the rest of the day.

Edited by Juthro, 24 April 2016 - 06:47 PM.

• wildedibles and Heirloom like this

#11 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,481 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:11 PM

I love celery but never grew it and don't know how , any simple instructions?

thanks

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,182 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:41 PM

It likes light, but prefers it defused or non direct.

Outdoors it grows well in wet, almost swampy soil. Indoors, it will let you know quickly if it gets too dry, but recovers well from an occasional oversight. We used commercial potting soil, and gave it light feedings once a season with some organic, squid based plant food (man it stinks, but the plants love it).
  • PsyBearknot, wildedibles and Heirloom like this

#13 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,481 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:10 PM

Thanks Juthro those instructions help me.

peace

#14 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:28 AM

Thanks for the instructions Juthro :) I have read that some varieties need "blanching" tieing paper or covering with mulch to lighten the color of the stems and to I guess lighten the flavor .........myself i dnt mind strong veggie flavor :) lol ....... The organic celery from the farmers market was not blanched and had a sweet flavor still not bitter as some dark green celery can get................Ok I keep telling the gold fish that they are gonna go outside soon so no more watching TV from the corner of the fish tank ;) lol ........the dagga and the tomatoes have thier ownpots and I started some celery seed ............took a few cuttings from the sunopener bush :) ...................started the hanger for the window pots need to finish that geting plants closer to the window is better than sitting further away on the frezor ......anyway some bigger tomatoes got a bigger size pot too as they were falling over so they will get much bigger now then they can g o outside next size pot up :) ....................made another bucket full of dirt to do all the repotting and need to make more again soon ...........gardening the work is never over but it is well worth it I like knowing what is in my dirt casue u can really taste what you put in there I think this is why some veggies have a bitter and some more sweet
  • PsyBearknot, Juthro and Heirloom like this

#15 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:27 AM

hanging pot window thingy done lol :) everyone has a spot close to the window so nothing will stretch too much............lovely weather here again so I got some poop today to start the outside big pots ............peat moss........verm and perlite......... and poop and compst ............in very large pots veggies and my dagga flower are going in here this year :) I have a few large recycle box size totes to plant in as well
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#16 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:59 AM

I love growing celery, I just bought 1oz of seeds from mvseeds.com (great site, but Im not affiliated, just love their

prices.. you CANT BEAT THEM)

1oz seeds is like 70,000 seeds lol and its just 6 clammers... 35+ clams and free shipping. 

you can get 100+ varieties for easily like.. 140 tickets 

Celery IS the most nitrogen demanding vegetable crop there is. 

(secret weapon for aquaponic systems, MWUAHAHAHA(well not a secret because I dont like those when it comes

to good information... damn you hoarder bitches out there, you knwo who you are lol) )

Juthro's comments are spot on from my experience as well.

(ive had some nice mutant curly celery before, not sure how they happened, probably lack of water lol) 

I notice veggies become sweeter when grown under filtered light. 

Like lettuces, I believe celery would probably respond the same to a filter light source making

them a lil sweeter..

Juthro> thoughts on that?  i never tried it yet, but noticed it with a few other crops aside from lettuces.

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 07 May 2016 - 10:01 AM.

#17 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,182 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:10 PM

I notice veggies become sweeter when grown under filtered light. 
Like lettuces, I believe celery would probably respond the same to a filter light source making
them a lil sweeter..

Juthro> thoughts on that?  i never tried it yet, but noticed it with a few other crops aside from lettuces.

I think you are correct Il1, that has been my experience with celery at least. I know I had shared some seeds with my in-laws in Oregon, and their garden gets direct sun for most of the day (south facing hillside). The celery they grew was very much stronger in flavor, and bitter. It was overpowering.

I grew some of the seeds from the same packet in the house here, where it received defused light for most of our summer daylight hours, and it was some of the mildest, best celery I have ever grown.

Everything I've read about celery says it is a very heavy feeder, but I've never pushed the ferts on it. I have tried to stay organic, and give plenty of rich compost to work with in the soil, with an occasional blast of Bio-Marine from general hydroponics organic line. The plants stayed happy, as was I, with their results. But, I would like to experiment a little (maybe this season) and really push some ferts at some, and see how much I can get away with, and how they will respond.

Keep it growing :)
Juth

Edited by Juthro, 07 May 2016 - 01:11 PM.

• wildedibles and Heirloom like this

#18 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:31 AM

:) some of the celery is up now its tiny but sprouted :) I seperated some as I just sprinkled a few in a pot as they are sooo tiny ......I got hubby to drill me some holes in some pots so the roots can breath some but I have a dish under them to keep in a bit of moisture :) .............I think this is why we are soposed to blanch some varietys of celery to keep the light out to produce a sweeter less bitter crop I will remember to plant it somewhere it gets difused light :) I think its the soil tho too that improves flavor just imagine how much fruit sugars so into the compost pile in the beggining ;) ............I use compost cow and sheep poop and feed with fish pond water I also pull weeds and leave them in the garden to provide nutes too lots of nitrogen in weeds ;) ..............I kicked some plants out to my buddys house and gave my mom and aunts their plants so I can have more room ...............sm of the tomatoes are sooo big now they need to go into the garden but its still too cold for a couple weeks yet maybe a cold frame is in my future ;)
  • Juthro likes this

#19 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,512 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:59 PM

The garden at my friends is all planted we put in 18 tomatoe plants lots of cucumbers and peas and beans and potatoes and .......carrots and beets and I think that is it...........lol we have some more containers at home to plant I have 1 tomatoe and one Dagga planted already the weed :) and peas and carrots tomrow .............lots of Dagga came up ............and the celery are doing good small but strong they will go outside tomrow and they will be seperated a bit more so they can grow bigger :) lovin the warmth ........
  • Juthro and Heirloom like this

#20 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,182 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:03 AM

Sounding great WildE!

I hope you get a great harvest :)
  • wildedibles likes this