#181 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,510 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for sharing :)

With the danger of frost the last two nights I have been so busy that I wanna keep going but body says no! so I listen and get the major things done.....cacti came indoors
......wraped up my cucumbers and squish some are a nice size but they need to get bigger not much meat on them yet and the cuckes are doing good covered up .....I placed a wire on top of the wire they are climbing on they are doing great :) ......melons did nothing mayybe the poop pile have better luck
....if we get past this light frosting then its all good for a month usually ith temps 10degrees warmer tonight with rain there will be an end to the frosty nights :)
....most of the tomatoes are picked green ...the water overload this year has cracked some but not many Bonnys best is a keeper :)
....cuckes at friends house are not frosted the tomatoes got a touch not enough to make a diff it was close to freezing but the ground warmth keept frost off of most of the garden ....the pink pumpkin got a touch on a couple leaves but its ok
....roots are good for a bit
....peas are comming out im eating the bigger pods i find they r my fav :) the tiny pods and the green plant parts are going to the rabbits they love them and the bean plant :) good fibre and protien I believe
....the wild dagga my buddys I picked and his is just a we bit smaller then mine not much diff in height I goot a measure :) his was drying out mine still had some flowers blooming so maybe it can keep growing a bit now that the frost danger is gone for a bit of time??

bussy toime of year I still need to hook up this new computer to try and get some pictures going Im still taking them .....
  • Juthro and Spooner like this

#182 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,510 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

Well no frost in sight for at least a weel so rain today will help things grow well get bigger my squishes and cucumbers :)

I gave eveything some comfrey fermented fertilizer good for flowers and fruit :) it was sun and cloud warm yesterday and more rain today so it rained it all in ( I dont like the fert sitting n the leaves for more then a day anyway)
I believe this has helped my squish and cuckes fight the mildue on the leaves that squash usually get at the end of the season this and the air flow has made for healthy plants :)
I fed the special tomatoes too I got to a few weeks ago and noticed two were males I thought they were all female I swear they were but nope had 2 boys I kept them for a bit cuz I dont mind seeds in weed that Im gonna eat if huby dont smoke it all on me ;)
one has a lemon and a stink to it (might be a disel smell) its not skunky not herby not pine but its a stinky lemon lol ;)
the other is a berry smell and I think this seed was from a blueberry its smaller ......both were in the shade for far too long as soon as they got sun they decided to flower power :) still they are both short for sativa type leaves .....but they are showing duck feet leaves the ones that have 3 spikes to the leaves instead of 5, 7, 9 etc.... I find bag seed you get more of a weedy type weed anyway either that or they have been stressed out ...either way there is a bit of bud getting bigger the hite hairs are turning red now ....and they are getting thicker on the main stem like sativa's bud grows.....
they goott some comfrey fert too and Ive been giving them rabbit poop water :) watered down they love it and I have one more feed for them im fermenting some nice grapes to give them this water in the next well about a week then I have another week prob no frost ....I dont usually get that much but it might be a decent amount this year :) more then a couple dubes but not high yeilding as I dont have them in the sun that much ...they sit under the tree protected a bit ....
  • Spooner likes this

#183 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,510 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:06 AM

last night and the night before were just frosty these are light frost but will still hurt plants but maybe not tottally killing them off

the first night I was cold too and was way too tired to cover everything lst min so I asked hubby if he could help me water in the morning :) and he did so everything got wet before the sun hit the leaves and my squish is what we r protecting that and cucumbers

last night we covered it up but totay is gonna be hot so I will vent the sides a it gets too hot I am not sure how much bigger they will get but I hope they are big enough for me to get some meat off them :)
cuckes this year are better for pickels they do not get that big anyway so pick them early they r storing pretty well in the fridge till we have a jar or 2

pickels cuckes and carrots :) yum yum
I add a bit more vinagar then water but not much I do half and half then add a bit more vinagar depending if its a weaker no name or stronger brand (the strength is listed somewhere on the bottle of vinagar)
3 parts vinagar to 2 parts water aprox or a little less if you have stronger vinagar
wash veggies
cook well blanch veggies I left both whole no cuts in the fruit so they will not be soggy
I cook the carrots a bit longer so add them first
veggies turn colors watch and get to know what they look like when they are cooked ;)
cukes almost need a in and out and they do turn color quick
into cold water to stop the cooking process
fill jars as desired
pour boiled / simmered vinagar water over veggies and seal
I placed them in a pot of water 1/4 to half way up the jar with a towel in the bottom of pot to prevent the jars from banging and cracking
bring to boil then just simmer for 10mins or so ...the cucumbers are now a homemade pickel color ;) store bought ones will be bright green due to chems cant remember the preservative oh calcium c?? dont wanna say the wrong one??

anyway ...... they should be good like that the vinagar / salt content is high to pickel preserve them the extra cooking just cleans thing up ;)

2 large jars i used for vinagar mix

1 1/2 small jars of each vinagar and water
and 1/2 small jar of vinagar

3 tablespoons corse salt
1 1/2 table spoon of pickeling spice
1 tablespoon dill
and 3 small cloves garlic

I boil this then simmer it for couple mins ;) it turns color releasing the aromas of the herbs :) pour over prepared pickels ....seal and cook as stated already above just going over it all as I remember its my own recipe but I tride to follow a few rules that were common among many recipes found on the web ( I always find recipes on the web you can see many of the same one and adjust to your liking :) it also will help you remember it so you dont need the paper or the computer to cook)
  • Juthro and Spooner like this

#184 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,510 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:10 AM

Im watching these plant documentrys while I orgnize the last of the garden stuff ....need to remove some beet leaves and see how many beets we have enough for a couple jars??
They should be nice and sweet they have had a couple light frosts and a snw fall wet ad not cold but anyway leaves are dieing back after a couple days in the fridge in a coth reusable bag ....bunnies are gonna love me tomrow with these beet leaves ;)

[Direct Link]

• Juthro and Jeepster like this

#185 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,510 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

[Direct Link]

Here is another good video :)
  • Juthro likes this