#21 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:46 PM

Yes You too buddy!!

Im hoping this "smart pot" idea wil work as good as the real thing cause the harvest is soposed to be better ......root veggies may grow better in pots this way .....either way we will find out ;)
  • Juthro likes this

#22 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:34 PM

Ok I have to give my garden that is full of weeds some credit cause I found 3 morel mushrooms in there today :)
This garden has some wood in it and some dibri from the sun chokes they are the same solor as the stems of the sun chokes actually :) The whiter color of them my mom found a black looking on in her herb garden that has wood and ashes from the fire in there mine too wood ashes get mixed with the compost here .......
.........I still cannnot find any more purple potatoes tho?? the two i found the other day i plantd back with the sunchokes they do ok in there not much does I boiled a few tonight but .......see if I eat them they are really bland.....??
  • Juthro and wharfrat like this

#23 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

I've done potatoes in 200gal smart pots last year, epic for harvest, they need serious watering though. Just mound away and you'll have so many potatoes.
  • wildedibles likes this

#24 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:42 PM

Glad to hear you had a good harvest in them :) I have noticed great growth with the toomatoes the ones planted in theem are bigger with better roots but more watering is nessary ........I got a friend drilling holes today I have been teaching him about the idea of a bit of air for the roots hes interested in how my garden will fair this way this summer ;)

Im repotting more celery and they are the only plants left in the house they are small but as they are in containers I can bring them in if I have too.......they grow well indoors a bonus :)

and I have containers to fill and plant since they all holy now :)

Me and hubby r putting the finishing touches on the pond too some succlent plantings inbetween the stones I have before and after pictures of the progress from last year and some plans to share more pictures noow :) woot woot!!
  • Juthro likes this

#25 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

how are you drilling the holes?

Ive noticed a lot of people do bucket air pots like this.

images.duckduckgo.com.jpg

I think thats a lil excessive on the work load.  

From reading about the air pruning process and from my experience,

I have noticed that you can simply drill a single straight line of holes

down the side of the bucket. 

Ive only tried this with like. 2inch holes.. worked well. but I noticed that

it would probably be even better to use 1/2inch to 1 inch holes... and do 2 rows down opposite

sides of the bucket.   Needless to say, its not required to have as many holes in the buckets

as pictured above, youll end up having to water SOOO MUCH.   (this is a benefit to a degree though..

crop depending and water availability)

the point of air pruning that I hear everyone talk about, is that its main purpose is to prevent

the act of spiraling roots,  as this action of spiraling continues

long after transplanting into open soil, (unless one cuts the spirals and root prunes... but you gotta

usually go pretty deep into the root ball to properly accomplish this, really stressing out the plants, but 

its for the better lol)

Just wondering, because Im lazy as hell,,, and Just like to spread the things that I have concluded

over the years to do less work accomplishing the same or better results. 

:) 

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 23 May 2016 - 10:37 AM.

• PsyBearknot and wildedibles like this

#26 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:07 AM

Well my holes are smaller than that ....and I do a row 1/4 way up the pot about an inch to two inches apart then another row 1/2 way up the pot staggering them from the other holes ..........my holes in my big buckets are 15/84 size more holes = more water

I hvent done root pruning when growing in them before I did notice the roots grew better more of them and nice and white.....I have buckets or pots with no holes for the holey pots to sit in to protect a bit fromwater loss but do not keep them full of water cause it defeat the purpose and plants really do not like being water logged as much as the like being dried out

I believe I will get better growth even without the pruning cause the air flow will be like growing them in the ground .......I think plants grow better in the garden cause there is some air in the dirt but also cause the roots can stretch out where they wanna be .....this can happen in air pots cause the roots can come out the holes into the bucket to search for air or water .......just my thoughts on it

I wouldnt have been able to drill the holes with my neck hurting like it is so my hubby and friend helped me out lots finishing them off for me .....my small 4" pots I used an all (that pokey screwdriver thingy) it worked better than the drill for the little pots

Ive tried to make fabric pots but they get eaten after a while decompose ..........I have less work to do next year since I have the holes drilled already all I have to do is store them and they stack welll so no prob......
  • Il19z8rn4li1 likes this

#27 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:29 AM

I finally found something perfect to plant my carrots in :) I found a sturdy laundry basket with thin holes but lots of them then I put this in a rubbermaid tub to keep some moisture in :) they are deep enough and big enough to try

we got some rain finally so I spnt some time moving water round today its way better than last year I found two nice big tubs to keep extra water in them so I should have plenty of water for the dry periods :) sometimes I have to add this tub water back into the pond to get rid of the mosquitoe larva but just cycle it around and the fish eat all the bugs and it adds extra air for them when pouring it back into the water falls :) it sure sounds nice sitting out there listing to the water instead of the trafic :)
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#28 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:43 PM

Celery is doing wonderful getting bigger now they are all 3 to a 4" pot as they are still tiny :) but I have 100 tiny plants ready to join the garden soon enough :) they need to be hardened off ( protected fromthe sun till they get used to the hoter spot outside)

everything is sprouted in my pots now :) I have
-cauliflower
-broccoli
-carrots (not sprouted yet theywere 3 days behind the others anyway)
-cucumbers
-peas (dont remember seeing them sprrouted yet)

everything in the big garden needs to be thined a bit as they have been up for a while now few weeks for root veggies
................need to water the celery :) .....watering outside in the morning or evening is bad with the blackflys and mosquetoes but at least it is quick now :) all in one area dont have to travel all around the yard carring water :)
  • PsyBearknot and Juthro like this

#29 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:13 AM

Some things are growing well broccoli and cauliflower sprouts are bigger I have left few 5 or so in a pot a bit larger than the big hanging basket (shorter pot) I have filled in around the plants with well rotted finer compost they are loving it :)

I think the wood stove ashes in my compost has neutralized the too acid potting mix I have made up .....some plants have had a hard time with the rich mix I think it was too acidic too since I have top dressed with the compost everything that was yellow (weed plant) has now turned nice and green now and everything is getting bigger now

I should have mixed some sand with the potting mix something to remember for next year

I found my purple potatoes and have some nice plants started now :) I have mulched them up with the stalks from sun choke and then top dressed with compost hoping to get more potatoes :)

zuchini has lots of booms :)

and the friends shared garden everything is huge I have thinned the carrots removing the larger ones cause they are already baby carrot size and yummy :) I have also had a few peas now they are all full of flowers now ....tomatoes lots of flowers ......oh beats are looking nice I thinned these too but need to check again the plants are nice size now .......onions are comming out as green onions now as we thin them and the wild daggas some are doing nice and some not so much they didnt like the rich mix in well the one eally liked it in the biger pot?? not sure what is happening with them

and this year is the only year my pepper plant is growing this well I think they really like the rich mix they also do not mind water in the bottom of the pot either ;) some things like the cucumbers and the peas do not like a wet mix ;)
  • PsyBearknot and Juthro like this

#30 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:57 AM

2017 gardens should be in here so I can check back and know what I did the year before
Its almost time to dig out the seeds around here I am gonna wait a bit longer hoping begining of March to start the tomatoes I dont want them to be too bit when they go out its hard to keep the frost off a big plant ;) and the small ones will catch up

I have just found two lettuce pots full grown ready to eat organic to boot :) they were a little limp so I got them for half price cause really didnt wanna pay that much for potted lettuce but its nice and full and yummy reminds me how I like to nibble on the lettuce in the garden :)

and my celery has been doing great all winter :) using it in soups and a nibble here and there the plants are still small but they are great flavorings and I know they r nutritious :) My dog even likes to nibble these instead of grass he cannot find under the few feet of snow out there ;) ....we r all craving the greens its just not the same from the store compared to the garden / pot :)
  • Juthro and Gnomesayin like this

#31 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,893 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:55 PM

Damn, but don't that celery grow slow :)

Been gearing up for the new season here as well. Going through seed catalogs and getting what we need.

Looking forward to doing a bunch more of those Bonnies Best tomatoes :) I think they will do real well for us this year, especially since we are going to get them started on time this season.
  • wildedibles likes this

#32 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

My lettuce and celery pots :) Im trying to wait till its a bit warmer here before starting tomatoes and other seedlings in the other room..........

https://mycotopia.ne..._1582_35766.jpg

I learned a neat idea for my folgers coffee cans the plastic red buckets :)

[Direct Link]

Edited by wildedibles, 09 February 2017 - 04:30 PM.

• PsyBearknot and wharfrat like this

#33 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:05 AM

I found this peat mix that was organic and says that there is myconutrients? need to read the labble better but I used a bag of that and a margerine dish of egg shells broken up into almost a powder thanks to my youngest son :) and 3 margerine dishes of verm fine I think and perlite 3 margerine dishes full

15:1:3:3
soil, egg shells, verm, and perlite.

I planted 17 tomatoes I think 2-3 of them accidently have two seeds and the rest has one so I dont have to pull one out (if one dont come up when the rest do I will replant as early as I can)

I have to pot up some wild dagga next so many people love this flower for humming bird food :) I also got these really long beans that grow on a long vine I call them my magic beans :) samve some for kids in the neighbourhood to plant too :) they also are a fav for humming birds (but they can be planted outside later)

#34 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

reminder do not store peat moss and poop bags on the ground in the garbage shed.....still froze to the ground hard as a rocck......so ....

tomato babies and celery were planted in a peat mix organic for seeds and cuttings
with extra verm and perlite and egg shells

wild dagga had a peat mix that was for blooming / indoor plants (read the labble and there was no ingredents list) grr and same combo of extra perlite verm and egg shells

now I found peat mix for seedlings and cuttings again not organic thihs time but thats ok I finally found poop :) worm castings so I will add some of that too

since I still have a mix of first two in my dirt bin I will just add more seed pot mix to the whole thing hoping that the flower mix isnt gonna hurt things all that much I hope not but I am making a note of it while I plant the next round of seedlings.....my "fancy tomatoes" are going in my aquponics seed starters today using this garden mix....I need to combine these threads I think......??
  • Juthro likes this

#35 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

I still have sun opener seed pods stuck in my hair lmao.....I was under the bush placing tomato starts in the window ....its in need of a transplant soon I have the perfect pot if its not stuck in the snow still.....I may need to hack it back it grows like willow and indoors it can be kinda pain in the butt bush :) but I like it it was sooo tiny it was hard seeing it under the macro lense of the camra ......see if I can post side by side pictures later....
  • Spooner likes this

#36 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:52 AM

I bought a couple different fruit from the store it was grown in Columbia but the store produce guy had no idea what they were they were labbled "mixed tropical fruit" .....well one turned out to be from " Tomato tree" a relative to the tomato but it tastes more like fruit .....the other 2 are passion fruit ....ok I know what that is but still never tried them yet until now and I liked the yellow one we tried sweet / sour and crunchy seeds :) the brown one we will eat again later ....next time the passion fruit will taste good in fruit salad :)

anyway I saved some tomato tree seeds I planted 3 nice fat seeds and planted 3 fat seeds from the passion fruit too :) heres hoping that these tropical fruit will get a good enough start to do something outside this summer :) I will have them in pots maybe so I can finish them inside if need be ;)
  • Spooner likes this

#37 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Here is a few b4 pictures of the Sun Opener Bush AKA Pain in the Butt Bush (just kidding its very nice I love it)

gallery_121976_1473_77984.jpg
this pick was a few years ago

post-43555-138195616401.jpg
This one looks like it was a year old

Im trying to find the baby baby pictures but II have to look on my sticks and find it, its not posted here where I can find it ......

....new pictures are almost ready ....and Im repotting it soon trying to find out what to cut back its way to high over my head 5 feet something anyway......I already twisted it into an 8 but it has sprouted off the 8 and its way to big ....if I cut it back it will sprout back no prob and I can use the sticks I cut off to hold up the baby tomatoes when they all get sprouted up.........

#38 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:07 AM

The sun openeer bush got repotted today ....it was in a ceramic pot that had to be broken off cuz it wouldnt fit back threw the smaller top anyway ....layed the plant and pot down.....hubby used a hammer to break the pot off the root ball......cut some off so its still a bit tall but not like b4 about 5 feet before I took a foot or two off and the plant stood up by itself :) ......good sign its not top heavy anymore ;).......so then I have this nice plastic pot with the watering system at the bottom this plant will love it :) its an inch or two bigger then the last one so it will grow in nicely :) ....same pottingg mix as the seedlings but added a few more handfulls of worm castings to the mix I know it will be sprouting so feed it good :)at leasst I know it wont fall over in the summer outside anymore
  • wharfrat likes this

#39 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,188 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:14 AM

beautiful plants wild, wish i could be as nurturing as you. I have a hard enough time taking care of my cannabis, all the rest of my plants get neglected. My wife will take care of the garden buck any oy "my" plants she has nothing to do with.. i dont blame her, she prolly worried bout killing them. :biggrin:

• wildedibles likes this

#40 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,462 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:47 AM

Me and Hubby help eachother :) without his help today lifting this bush we wouldnt have gotten anywhere ;) ......I seen more sprouts today but the computer is down again cannot add pictures.....grrr....
  • wharfrat likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!