184 replies to this topic

#41 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,528 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2017 - 03:29 AM

Sun opener as a baby :) You have to look at the pic full size cause they are the tiny tiny little sprouts :)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6871.JPG

• Juthro and wharfrat like this

#42 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,528 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:36 PM

I just noticed the one potting soil I got 2 times now says Myco active ?? myco as in mushrooms so I lookedd it up to see the claims ??

http://www.promixgar...en/myco-active/

Well so far Im impressed but maybe I should adjust the amount of worm castings and egg shells?? mybe not ...... Im not adding extra ferts there is some in the potting mix usually I just get peat moss with a bit of perlite in it but that bag is still frozen to the ground ;) lol I like the idea anyway and everything looks fine the sprouts are doing good and sun opener is growing more now ....I like the myco active idea especially when using a coir you need the medium to have micro stuff going on in there to have healthy soil
  • Arathu likes this

#43 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:19 PM

I just noticed the one potting soil I got 2 times now says Myco active ?? myco as in mushrooms so I lookedd it up to see the claims ??

http://www.promixgar...en/myco-active/

Well so far Im impressed but maybe I should adjust the amount of worm castings and egg shells?? mybe not ...... Im not adding extra ferts there is some in the potting mix usually I just get peat moss with a bit of perlite in it but that bag is still frozen to the ground ;) lol I like the idea anyway and everything looks fine the sprouts are doing good and sun opener is growing more now ....I like the myco active idea especially when using a coir you need the medium to have micro stuff going on in there to have healthy soil

the fox farms soil (soiless) has mycorrhizal fungi, I have actually had several mushrooms grow from the soil at different times. It is great stuff, and you know it is good soil when mushrooms like it  :biggrin:

• wildedibles and Spooner like this

#44 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Myco Newb

• App Administrator
  • 3,730 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:29 PM

I just noticed the one potting soil I got 2 times now says Myco active ?? myco as in mushrooms so I lookedd it up to see the claims ??http://www.promixgar...en/myco-active/

the fox farms soil (soiless) has mycorrhizal fungi, I have actually had several mushrooms grow from the soil at different times. It is great stuff, and you know it is good soil when mushrooms like it :biggrin:[/size]
I actually grow my mushies on Fox Farms Oceans Forest soil. It is good stuff!

Edited by coorsmikey, 08 April 2017 - 09:29 PM.

• wildedibles and wharfrat like this

#45 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,528 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:12 AM

I hear fox farms is really good stuff most people here use it.
I didnt know that it was basically the same as this stuff thats cool :)
I seen a big bag of worm castings for just a little bit more then the small bag I bought so next time Iknow where to go :)

I need to make the mix up again I forgot the charcoal I usually put this in and I have some this time

Egg shell - 1 part
Charcoal - 1 part
Worm castings - 1 parts
Perlite - 2 parts
Verm - 2 parts
Pro max...peat moss and coir blend... - 6 parts
see how this looks and feels absorbs water ;) etc and adjust and add anything else I forgot

ok the celery I gave to a friend needs a new pot .....WHAT! told my friend it needs to go in the garden but its not warm enough yet ....its already in a big pot I think I have a bigger one or its gonna go in a water pot.....

#1 so take celery home and #4 repot celery
#2 repot tomatoes that are big enough bonneys best I think they fruit in 70 days
#3...take some tomatoes to a friend and maybe some smaller celery I have here he can get them bigger for me ....He has one good window hot and sunny south facing :) ....my windows are shaded by trees :) thats ok I love the trees :)

....getting back on track .....do steps #2 then #3 and #1 at same time
...then I guess repotting celery is #4 ;)

ok to start the new #1 is make up potting mix lol :) ......I already washed some pots ....need to get hubby or a kid to drill me some holes to make some more bigger aquponics pots .....friend does not need water pots tho ;) so that one is #5 lol and then pot up more fancy tomatoes and dagga and a reg tomato......thanks for helping me organize my list in my head :) I try and take some pictures :)
  • Juthro likes this

#46 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,528 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

ok more like

15 parts pro mix peat and coir
1 part egg shells
1 part worm poo
1 part charcoal
2 parts verm
3 parts perlite ....maybe it be a looser pack and friend wont over water ...might work better for the water pots
looks like dirt......

#47 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,528 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:35 AM

Not bareoot I kept my socks on the garden ground is cold brrr ;)

I didnt get to all the potatoes in the fall so I had a few nice surprizes today :) prob 5lbs potatoes 4 really big ones :) no purple ones tho I think they all finally died out.....I dug out some sun choke I will let you know what I do with them ....maybe dry themout and grind them into flour ....gluten free....diabetic friendly....

I found lots of mushroom mycillium :) good sign the soil is doing good :) the ridico lettuce is ready and yummy :)

I need to get hubby to dig a bit more ...and more to remove grass and prepare these spots to plant ....add compost layer and charcoal ;) maybe I will get some morel mushrooms growing in the garden as well as the other mushrooms I get in here growing off fthe grass and wood burried in the garden ;)

Theres a spot that has onion and garlic comming up ...I need to aplant some onions that have sprouted

the spot we just cleaned will have the tiny potaotes that we threw back in there

I wanna plant a canary melon and a butternut squish in there and a feew more around

if we get all the grass off the area we left last year I will plant lettuce and a few poppys and ?? carrotz

need to get the kids to dig a long garden beside my hedge and plant some lettuce and other food stuff in here carrots??

and my pots will be all around with cucumbers and celery and ?? beas and beans and ??? oh dagga
  • Arathu and Juthro like this

#48 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

Yeah.......FOOD.................. :biggrin:

A

• wildedibles likes this

#49 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,528 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

I know my fav nibble is the spring nibbles :) Tick is to leave some chickory in the garden to flower and seed then you haave a spring clean up but no soil ersion plants and roots hold the dirt :) and you get some nice little chickory / endive I dont know what to call it but its good :) came in the spicy Itallian lettuce :) growing it for over 5 years now just letting it be :)
  • Arathu likes this

#50 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:56 PM

I have seeds in the starters now on a heat mat and everything is set to go...only waiting on the last frost......it's looking good here.

Very soon...it's early this year!

A

• wildedibles likes this

#51 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,296 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:23 PM

This time of year, listening to all my friends gearing up their gardens gets me chomping at the bit!!   lol.

We have the grow room full of starts of all kinds of stuff, but there is still snow on the ground here, and the lake is still frozen over.  The daytime temps have been amazing this week, even flirting into the low 70's with all of the sunshine, but nighttime temps are still getting down into the high 20's...

Must learn patience...... :meditate:

• wildedibles likes this

#52 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,528 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

I agree on early too...usually I plant the tenders May 24 weekend ......I think its the full moon in May others go by and I think the moon is early this year ;)

root veggies can go in anytime so gotta get my garden all dug out :) my youngest has offered to help :)

Hey Juthro :) My celery I planted in the garden is still lookin like its livin nice and green a little squished but green need to check that out tomrow after this light all day rain :)
  • Juthro likes this

#53 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,528 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

This time of year, listening to all my friends gearing up their gardens gets me chomping at the bit!!   lol.
We have the grow room full of starts of all kinds of stuff, but there is still snow on the ground here, and the lake is still frozen over.  The daytime temps have been amazing this week, even flirting into the low 70's with all of the sunshine, but nighttime temps are still getting down into the high 20's...
Must learn patience...... :meditate:

still snow here too :) but the garden is free and the groundd is defrosted not usually this way ...usually you take a shovel only down a foot then it feels like wood or metal holding the shovel back lol ....thats prob what you have buddy ....it be free soon .....
  • Juthro likes this

#54 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,528 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:52 PM

Hey Juthro I found some early heirloom Alaska peas to try ......they finish almost a week earlier then other peas :) I love fresh peas from the garden no matter how many I plant I never get any in the frezor they all get eaten by me and the kids ....hubby gets a few too ;) lol I love my peas most from the garden .......I usually plant lincoln or homestedor peas and UI have a pack of them but I seen these and they can be planted early too?? usually I plant snow peas too they can resist some fall frosts .....plant early and cover I guess if I need to a pot over the top of it works fine in the spring when they r small plants ;)
  • Juthro and Spooner like this

#55 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,296 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:24 PM

We are big fans of peas here, also. We primarily grow snow peas (for use in stir fry), and garden peas (for casseroles, and soups). The moose will general leave them alone at the stages that we like to harvest them to eat. They like to wait a little longer for them to fully mature. Unfortunately this makes it difficult to seed save, but that's just part of life here.

The sugar snap peas, on the other hand, that we tried last year, were like putting a neon 'All You Can Eat Café' sign up for the moose, lol. So we've put them in same category as kale, and will only plant it as a decoy crop, to lure hungry monsters away from our garden.
  • wildedibles and Spooner like this

#56 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,528 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:40 PM

Decoy crop thats good thinking :) best way really ;)

here is info on the peas but plaease look around not saying good or bad against seller I found mine in the store and found info on this site
http://www.mypatriot...s_p/alaska.htm=
  • Juthro likes this

#57 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,296 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:30 PM

Thanks WildE, I appreciate it. It can be challenging to find variety's that grow well here.

I think our celery survived the winter, it is like the one of the very first things that are starting to show life. The first pair of ducks have returned to the lake, its kind of exciting. Unfortunately for them the lake it still frozen solid, and they had to do an emergency landing in the yard, lol.

I'm hoping for open water on the lake by the end of the month, but it is still getting down to 25*F (-4*C) at night, so we will have to wait and see.

We got a bunch of those Bonnie's Best started from last years seeds. I look forward to letting them have a full season here, and seeing what we can get from them. We did all right with them last year, but they got started pretty late in our season, so I have real high hopes for this seasons crop.
  • wildedibles likes this

#58 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,528 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:31 PM

Ya heres hoping you have lots to can :) Celery is green here too with the lettuce outside since its the 2nd year it probably flower this year and we can have some seeds to save plant or you can eat them as flavoring :) ....the celery I kept inside is doing good the celery i put in my friends window WOW!! exploded in growth it likes that sunny window right now :) Im ooking forward to seeing its full potential this year having more time to grow :)
Im gonna try and put some of these peas out see what they do .......I just planted carrots the heirloom colorful variety I have been buying these latley the kids like them :) ....need to put some reg carrots in and plant some beets up too :) .....as soon as we can work the soil here its ready for root veggies they can take some frezing and have no issues :)

#59 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,321 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

Love that radicchio, and my asparagus been great this year.  Want to add 25 Jersey Giants to the patch this year.  My favorite asparagus supplier promised me some big old 3 year roots when she can get tractor in field without getting stuck.  They will go in late, but no trouble since it will be next season before the roots will be established enough to harvest some anyway.  Peaches made it through the late frost and have pea sized fruits already.  Added 2 Apricot trees, hope in 4-5 years to be able to dry a bunch of winter fruit chewy munchies. Been raining 4 days a week making soil soft for their first year root establishment.   :biggrin:

Weather been very odd last couple years.  Warm winters mean lots birds not migrating, so growing Chinese striped double fat sunflower seeds and regular Black Oil Sunflower seeds, supposed to get birds through winters when insects are scarce. Hope it works.

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#60 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,528 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

ooo...I forgot but peanuts are a great help for the birds too ....you can grow them but if you have squirles or ground chipys they will regrden for you and plant them where they want to or well harvest them for you when they r just right ;) Thy smart chipys....
  • Spooner and wharfrat like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!