#161 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,629 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:50 AM

That last poppy shot is so beautiful I nominated for picture of the month.  :)   <3 

https://mycotopia.ne...-month-contest/

• wildedibles likes this

#162 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:54 AM

Thanks :) I love that little bee ....so tiny cute tucked right into the poppy petals :)
  • Sidestreet likes this

#163 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,629 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:01 AM

Yep, it's a cute little bugger!

So what are your plans for those poppies?

• wildedibles likes this

#164 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

I Like poppy seed muffins :) ....save some of them for seeds to grow next year
These have been huge but I have some tiny poppies coming up where I planted clover too need to take a picture of these tiny ones :)
  • Sidestreet and Juthro like this

#165 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:36 PM

tomatoes tomatoes well you get it the plants are rotting and Ive been picking the weight off my friend has been ripeing them in his winow :)

I have a few butternut squuash coming very nicely :) and the cukes that are growing over the cold frame are doing well and all you have to do is look under to pick fruit and fold the vines in at first ....next year I will plan this whenthe plastic comes off the cold frame it will then sit in the grass and fold the vines up this cage
  • Juthro likes this

#166 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:36 AM

Sounds like home. Growing up we always had cucumbers and tomatoes on the table in vinegar,salt and pepper, fresh from the garden.
  • wildedibles likes this

#167 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

Ive been picking dill pickel size cukes they have been keeping well in the fridge in cloth bag (keeps humidity right) me and the oldest boy r gonna make some pickels :)
  • Juthro likes this

#168 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,903 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

We turned most of our cukes into bread and butter pickle relish this year.
  • wildedibles likes this

#169 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:10 PM

Do you have a recipe in your thread?? :)

The kids like mixed pickels I have some baby carrots maybe a few beans (they got too much rain) the cukes are lots this year :) some garlic i think thats it ....we are gonna use pickeling spice with the fresh garlic cloves whole

we are growing long cuckes too in friends garden and they are only swelling up half way a few are doing ok but not that well compared to the little ones
  • Juthro likes this

#170 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,903 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

We tried a couple of new recipes this year, and we seem to like one much more then the other, and I would be happy to share it.

I'll try and get it written up soon, but we are forecast a couple of non-rainy days over the weekend, so it might get the back burner until I get caught up on outside work.
  • wildedibles likes this

#171 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

Not a prob you wanna take advantage of the non rainy days while we got them ....I can wait

I think my beets are big enough in my friends garden mine got bigger quicker I just pulled mine a few days ago ...... need to pickel some of these they did well ....you dont want them too big they take hours to cook at a smaller size ;)
  • Juthro likes this

#172 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

Not a prob you wanna take advantage of the non rainy days while we got them ....I can wait

I think my beets are big enough in my friends garden mine got bigger quicker I just pulled mine a few days ago ...... need to pickel some of these they did well ....you dont want them too big they take hours to cook at a smaller size ;)
...my Mom's been eating the tops I thik I wana nice feed of them too :) the rabbits love them :) they get all the leaves the snails ate they dont mind the holes ;)
  • Juthro likes this

#173 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

If you like spicy, I toss a couple dried cayennes into the bread and butter recipe. Makes a nice sweet and hot pickle.
  • wildedibles and Juthro like this

#174 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:34 AM

If you like spicy, I toss a couple dried cayennes into the bread and butter recipe. Makes a nice sweet and hot pickle.

I was thinking about a couple hot peppers into the mixed pickels :) My kids like them hot me not so much ;)
  • Juthro and Spooner like this

#175 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

Peppers tend tp go mushy after being canned for awhile, but I do like the extra kick they give to pickles if not over done.

• wildedibles likes this

#176 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:51 AM

I shared some herbs with my egg farmers today :) gotta love sharing ....she gave me some seeds in the spring but she didnt get any pink pumpkin to grow ....I have one in my buddys garden but some of them have been rotting but we have the vine taking off we see how well it does we may get something from it if not we will keep an eye out for pinkk pumpkins in the fall and save some seeds
...now are they like the white pumpkin but pink?? I guess we will see :)
  • Juthro likes this

#177 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,530 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

For spicing it up, I used dried cayenne, one or two per jar, added to the liquid stage so it simmers a bit.

Another interesting end of season pickle, just before frost I've picked the small green tomatoes, pickled with cauliflower flowerettes in the same spicy bread and butter recipe
  • wildedibles, Juthro and Spooner like this

#178 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,903 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:42 PM

So I asked my wife for the relish recipe that she preferred, and she told me she got it out of the Ball Blue Book, it is their recipe for zucchini relish, though she used zucc's and cuke's both in the making of her relish.

I'll still copy it out of the book and post it later, but this gives people another place to find it.
  • wildedibles and Spooner like this

#179 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

So I asked my wife for the relish recipe that she preferred, and she told me she got it out of the Ball Blue Book, it is their recipe for zucchini relish, though she used zucc's and cuke's both in the making of her relish.I'll still copy it out of the book and post it later, but this gives people another place to find it.

it might be posted on the internet if you got it in a book??
might be better then copying it ...or just the ingredients is fine there is many places to find how to can ;) it can get too much to copy if you gotta explain how to steralize jars :)
  • Juthro likes this

#180 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,903 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:08 PM

Good thinking, WildE :) You saved me a bunch of typing.

My wife informed me that I was confused, and that there were two recipes picked as winners this year, one was a bread and butter pickle, and the other was a zucchini relish. Though on zuc relish she mixes in cukes as well.

The b&b pickle recipe is made for small batches.

Anyway she kindly found me a link to both on the web so here you go.

zucchini relish
https://extension.us...chiniRelish.pdf

B&B pickles
http://foodinjars.co...butter-pickles/
  • wildedibles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!