57 replies to this topic

#1 datsun

datsun

Vroom

• OG VIP
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:26 PM

Hey All, 

Been getting the smoking thoughts again, thinking about just getting a lil chief to get me started, whats your favorite things to smoke? (no not that smoke) this is all about preserving foods and making them taste awesome.

What smokers do yall have, and what do you like about em?
Lets get some recipes  up in here too!

Attached Thumbnails

• smoker.jpg

• Juthro and wharfrat like this

#2 datsun

datsun

Vroom

• OG VIP
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:34 PM

Maybe one of these, although thats kinda rich for my blood.

Attached Thumbnails

• charbroil.jpg

#3 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,280 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:45 PM

the "chief" series/brand is a great smoker for the avg joe.. they are what i consider warm weather smokers, as they don't preform well in deep winter with out insulation. I prefer propane, as i can control the temp i want, the chiefs and charcoal are a bit finicky, i extreme temps and wind.. so for me it was a propane cabinet smoker, holds lot's of meat and will smoke a fairly large turkey or large pork butt. NomNom now i'm hungry

• datsun and Juthro like this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,280 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:48 PM

and not to mention, i have had my mini-chief for around 15 years and still going strong (minus the wood pan). My large steel smokers rust out and need to replace every 5 years or so

• Juthro likes this

#5 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• App Administrator
  • 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:19 PM

Abhh the smoke box...I LIKE BIG BUTTS AND I CAN NOT LIE...Well shoulders too

Pulled pork is my thing
Well brisket
Er...ribs

Have a master built smoker
It's a slow cooker box with smoke. "Reall" smokers say it ain't proper but I crank out food that I'd pay for at a shop. So I'm good with that. But it died <sad face>

One of my fav "recipes" is to put butt on the top rack
Rub some chicken wings and out them under the butt
Then corn on the cob that I doused with butter salt pepper hot sauce and parmazean cheese under that
And then fill the drip pan with potatoes and root vegies
Drip
Drip
Drip
Splash

Drain the vegies after they are slightly over cooked and blend with some chick peas...smoked veggie hummus !
The corn and wings take about an hour. Tek them out and place back in when you need to re heat them.
  • datsun, pharmer, Juthro and 1 other like this

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

Hello, my name is Juthro, and I'm a smoking addict.... Great topic brother, thanks for starting it.

Bear, even if your element is burned up (they sell parts BTW), the cabinet and racks will make a great cold smoker. Think smoked peppers and cheeses.

smoking cheese.jpg

I love the flavor of smoked food, be it veggies, meats, cheese, you name it.

One of my favorite things to smoke is Canadian Bacon. You take some pork loin, brine it for a couple of weeks in a solution containing the proper amount of #1 curing salt (contains sodium nitrate, to much is poisonous, do your homework, and double check your math).

This allows you to slow, or even cold smoke for long periods of time, without the fear of your meat growing toxic organisms. You then cook it low and slow until you reach your target temp. Same process as bacon, but loin is easier to find here then pork belly, and it is much leaner.

Though you still have to cook your meat when you use #1 cure. If you want to make jerky, or dried sausage that is intended for consumption without cooking, you should use #2 cure salts (contains sodium nitrite as well as the sodium nitrate).

If your not using cure salts, you should follow the "40 to 140 in 4" rule. This says your meat should go from 40*F to 140*F in less then 4 hours to be safe.

Happy smoking my friends....
  • PsyBearknot, wharfrat and Ares like this

#7 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:08 PM

Another thing you can do with a cold smoker, is to smoke hard boiled eggs.

I made some up for the long weekend. I smoke my hard boiled, and peeled eggs for two hours, and then refrigerate them over night to let the flavors blend.

They whites take on a lightly toasted color, and absorb the smoke flavor very well. Thought it does not penetrate through to the yolk.

This subtle contrast in flavor makes for amazingly delicious smoked, deviled eggs.... :)

Hope you are all having a wonderful holiday weekend.
Peace and love from the North,
Juth
  • pharmer, Il19z8rn4li1 and Spooner like this

#8 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:31 PM

all the eggs were peeled???  

thats sounds fucking epic.. smoked deviled eggs..

anyone who appreciates smoked foods.. would SURELY BE AMAZED with smoked

deviled eggs... talk about some love being put into those babies... :)

• Juthro likes this

#9 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:40 PM

all the eggs were peeled???  

thats sounds fucking epic.. smoked deviled eggs..

anyone who appreciates smoked foods.. would SURELY BE AMAZED with smoked
deviled eggs... talk about some love being put into those babies... :)

I thought you might like this one, Il1 :)

Yes, you want to peel all the eggs before you smoke them. You can leave the shells on, but very little of the smoke will penetrate it.

It adds up to a lot of time and work, but they are so worth it for the end result :)

You end up rewarded with a smoked treat that virtually no one else makes. And the smoking part is not really not much work, I just set a timer while I'm doing other house work so I remember to pull them at 2 hours.
  • Il19z8rn4li1 likes this

#10 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:47 PM

Now, maybe I am taking this too far, but I'm thinking maybe some smoked, spicy, pickled eggs.....?

Sounds like it would go good with beer. ;P)

#11 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:39 AM

So far this season I have managed to smoke a couple of whole chickens, a few meatloaves, a large Canadian bacon, a bunch of cheese, and a prime rib roast that I smoked special for my wedding anniversary.

So what's in your smoker?
  • jkdeth likes this

#12 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,160 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:52 PM

One of my favorites, works on the grill of smoker is onion bombs. Start with a meatball, your own recipe or prepared ones you like. Now you need Vidalia or other sweet onion, cut in half and separated. Bacon, and your favorite barbecue sauce.

Dip the meatball in the sauce, grab a couple pieces of onion to encase it, wrap it bacon. Secure with a couple tooth picks. Smoke or grill low and slow.
  • phlegmbae, Juthro and Spooner like this

#13 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

That is going on my must try list, as it sounds wonderful!

Thanks for the recipe, Jkdeth :)

#14 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,160 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:35 PM

There was another thing that was all the rage 15 years ago or so, shrimp, chicken breast and bacon all wrapped together in some fashion, don't remember exactly now.

I'm dying to try the smoked cheese, never did that. I'm guessing that's more of a cold smoke?

#15 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,160 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:43 PM

A trick to help clog everyone's arteries, take a foil pan, line it with thick slices of Vidalia onion, cover with a layer of bacon, put that in the smoker or on the top rack of a low slow grill. Cook till bacon is done.

We use the bacon and onions on burgers, but the Vidalia flavored smoky bacon grease, I could eat that with a spoon!
  • phlegmbae likes this

#16 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

Sounds like its delicious :)

This is the set up I use to cold smoke my cheese. I've got a tray that burns wood pellets in the mailbox, and a couple of 3 inch dryer vent swivels plug the mailbox into the side of the smoker. It only heats the smoker box up about 5*F hotter then outside temp this way.

post-136504-0-31810500-1452031722.jpg

EDIT: Here is a link to a thread about smoking cheese, in case you wanted to know more

https://mycotopia.ne...smoking-cheese/

Edited by Juthro, 15 August 2017 - 05:59 PM.

• mushit, phlegmbae, Spooner and 1 other like this

#17 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:23 PM

Time for some smoked and canned fish.

So here is a pan of salmon belly's (sockeye), and another pan with a huge dolly vardon, a sockeye fillet that didn't vacuum seal, and last but not least a fillet from a king salmon from last season.

They are going to set out until they are mostly thawed out, then finish the thaw in the fridge. Tomorrow I'll mix up some brine to soak them in.

post-136504-0-07237900-1502853765.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• for smoken.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 15 August 2017 - 11:16 PM.

• phlegmbae, Spooner and jkdeth like this

#18 Redneckdork

Redneckdork

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:09 AM

I love smoked food. Not only do I smoke main courses but I have smoked cheesecake, apples and bananas.

If I have the time I make the cheesecake but otherwise a good bakery one works well.

For the fruit just mix up captain Morgan brown sugar and cinimon. Soak for about an hour and then put on smoker for about an hour with low temp.

For a real treat smoke bananas and cheesecake together and add banana on top when ready to serve and the top that with a burnt sugar cream sauce.
  • Juthro likes this

#19 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,074 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

OK so I got back to the fish after I finished my chores in town today.

I mixed up 1 gallon of filtered water with:

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup maple syrup (I like 'B' grade syrup as it is a little stronger flavor)
1 TBLS molasses

This will set in the fridge in a large Tupperware container over night. The fish will get 12 to 15 hours in the brine if all goes correctly.

I'll try and get a picture of the fish tomorrow before I toss it on the smoker.
  • Spooner likes this

#20 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:09 PM

Like Juthro I love smoked fish, particularly trout or salmon.  I made a smoker out of a 55 gallon barrel with a hole cut in the side at the bottom where I added an external small firebox to keep the heat away from the barrel but draft all smoke through it.  I smoked several fresh turkeys around Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Made very great sandwiches, could feed the whole Chinese army with enough cream cheese (onions) and bagels. 

P.S. Very clever idea to use a post box for your firebox Juthro, I love it.  Same basic design to my 55 gallon drum, but more expertly made than my drum and easier to load.   The drum hung everything from rebar rods at the top and half way down.  

Edited by Spooner, 16 August 2017 - 11:24 PM.

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!