#21 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:48 PM

Thanks Spooner, but I must admit I saw the mailbox design somewhere else first. I just tweaked it a little to fit my needs.

I originally came up with it as a way to cold smoke cheese. If your smoker temp gets about 70*F when your smoking cheese, you end up with a real mess.

I do love me some smoked turkey on a bagel with a little cream cheese :)

Spooner, do you ever pressure can your smoked fish?
  • Spooner likes this

#22 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:25 AM

Spooner, do you ever pressure can your smoked fish?

No, I eat it too fast to have any left to can, but that sounds like a great idea.

• Juthro likes this

#23 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:08 AM

We get 95% of our yearly fish intake in a period of about 3 weeks, so we can a lot of it to make it last through the year.

One of the nice things about PCing fish is that with a tablespoon of lemon juice in the jar, combined with the heat and pressure of processing, any bones left in the fish will dissolve.

So, I pulled the fish out of the fridge, and rinsed the brine off, patted them dry with paper towels, and am now air drying them to form a pellicle. Next step, 5 hours in the smoker.

post-136504-0-02147900-1502985889.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• drying.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 17 August 2017 - 11:08 AM.

• phlegmbae and jkdeth like this

#24 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,985 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

Sounds like its delicious :)

This is the set up I use to cold smoke my cheese. I've got a tray that burns wood pellets in the mailbox, and a couple of 3 inch dryer vent swivels plug the mailbox into the side of the smoker. It only heats the smoker box up about 5*F hotter then outside temp this way.

post-136504-0-31810500-1452031722.jpg

EDIT: Here is a link to a thread about smoking cheese, in case you wanted to know more

https://mycotopia.ne...smoking-cheese/

off topic apology - that is one well built shed my man!   for snow load?

• Juthro likes this

#25 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:00 PM

off topic apology - that is one well built shed my man!   for snow load?

Thanks :) It has to support an amazing snow load at times. A very steeply pitched garage roof dumps its load onto it, and then the snow gets hung up around the snow jacks and supporting braces for the chimney you see sticking up.

Three years ago the snow built up over the snow jack, and the whole roof decided to shed as one, two and half foot deep, ice sheet. The damn snow sheered my chimney off at the roof line.
  • phlegmbae likes this

#26 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:57 PM

So here is the that batch all canned up. 6 pints, and 19 half pints. One half pint jar broke during the process, but all the rest sealed.

The jar that broke, broke cleanly around the bottom of the jar and I feel safe eating the fish now, but it just wont store in the cupboard.

post-136504-0-89060000-1503032216.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• PC'd salmon.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 17 August 2017 - 11:58 PM.

• phlegmbae and Spooner like this

#27 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

Looks yummy, bet it is a real treat when the winter weather turns your world white.

• Juthro likes this

#28 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

Thanks brother :)  Its a lot of damn work, but once its done it'll carry me through the year.

Now I'm Jones'en for a omelet with smoked salmon, with a little cream cheese mixed with some fresh green onion from the garden.....

I forgot to post this pic of making the smoked salmon fit in the jars to PC.

post-136504-0-22997400-1503074717.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• butcher.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 18 August 2017 - 11:49 AM.

• Spooner likes this

#29 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:56 PM

I picked up around 20 ears of corn on the cob(COTC) at he store yesterday. We are going to see how much of that can fit in the smoker in a single run :) Its all very ripe, and needs to be processed today, so if I cant fit it all in, we will process the rest unsmoked.

After processing, I'll freeze some, and pressure can the rest.

Think smoked corn and ham chowder sometime in January when it's -23* outside..... It makes it sooo worth the effort now.

I'll try and remember to snap some pics as I go.

First step, I shuck the corn and place it in a rubber maid container to soak in water for a an hour and half, to two hours. This lets the cob soak up a bunch of water, and then while the COTC is being smoked and cooked from the outside, it is also getting steamed from the inside. This helps to keep it moist.

post-136504-0-00124900-1504378597.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0073.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 02 September 2017 - 01:58 PM.

• Spooner likes this

#30 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

All loaded, and set to 250*, with a smoke pellet mix of apple, maple, cherry, and hickory.

post-136504-0-88121500-1504388126.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0077.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 02 September 2017 - 04:36 PM.

#31 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:22 AM

So we decided to go ahead and can it all to save some freezer room.

21 ears turned into 7 pints, and 8 half pints of smoked corn. That should last me tell next year I think.

post-136504-0-84561600-1504455695.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 03 September 2017 - 11:24 AM.

#32 phlegmbae

phlegmbae

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

Quite a while back a buddy & I built a smoker out of an old refrigerator. It worked well for smoking squirrels, but we mainly built it for the Black Sucker run in the river in the spring. These aren't the suckers that live in the river all year long. Black Sucker is without a doubt the best eating sucker in the great lakes. Their flesh is firm, & sweet.  Unlike some other varieties of suckers. Very similar to Whitefish imho. When they're running up the river to spawn, they are plentiful, and fun to catch on rod & reel. We  pack our families up, & go camping with my buddies family. Made some wonderful memories with the kids over the years. They eagerly, & excitedly looked forward to continuing the practice annually. Now they take their children, and we've got a great tradition going all together. We get quite the process going, gutting them, and scaling them. We all get scales in our hair, faces, and all over the place. Nothing that a quick dip in the river doesn't fix. Let me tell ya... that river's cold in April! We'd take the guts home in a pail, and bury them in our garden year after year. It makes for some dandy fertilizer! 

Now most folks would just turn their noses up when they hear the word "Sucker". I was skeptical myself. Lots of tiny bones in suckers. They're actually considered rough fish. So you can catch them on rod & reel, shoot them with a bow, or net them. There is no limit to size or quantity either. Size wasn't a problem because they were all pretty large anyway. They practically pull the smaller kids in! Well after brining, and smoking, we had such a surplus that we ended up pressure canning lots of them. Solved the bone problem! (extra calcium) They just melt in your mouth! Mixed with a little mayonnaise, a little relish, a little onion, and it turns into a delicious Sucker Salad. Better than any tuna sandwich you'd ever had! And don't get me started on Smoked Turkey Gizzards! 

• Juthro likes this

#33 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,693 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

All stuff from the garden, peppers, tomatoes, onion, green chilies, jalapeƱos, ect. All pictured here except the ass blowing chilies and the cilantro. Thrown on the smoker like this.
IMG_2646.JPG

All chopped up and mixed together with a pinch of salt and pepper and a hint of vinegar I get this.
IMG_2647.JPG

The red is a sweet smoker salsa with a slight kick and the green is very innocent looking with a huge kick. Great on eggs or breakfast burritos in the morning.

I may be in the wrong thread though as my smoker is in the Front Yard! Maybe we need a thread..."what did you do in your Front Yard Smoker today?"
  • phlegmbae and Juthro like this

#34 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:15 PM

Dude, I want to have breakfast at your house brother Mikey :)

• coorsmikey likes this

#35 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,693 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:49 AM

Dude, I want to have breakfast at your house brother Mikey :)

I do hope you know that you and the Mrs are always welcome and there direct flights from Anchorage.
  • Juthro and Spooner like this

#36 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:40 PM

Country style, ('sposta be) boneless pork ribs. The reason these were so cheap ($.88/lb) was they were butchered horribly, with a thick fat cap on one side a big hunk of bone in every one. Though I couldn't pass'em up at the price, and I bought about 10lbs for the freezer.

So anyway I thawed a pack, then I removed the fat cap, and most of the bone. Followed with slathering down the meat with cheap yellow mustard (Safeway house brand). On top of which I applied a liberal amount of my homemade dry rub (onion, garlic, cayenne, cumin, b sugar, paprika, black pepper, and salt) massaged into the meat until it makes a thick paste with the mustard.

I set my smoker to 225F and plan on running the pork up to 180F.
cs ribs.jpg

I'll try and remember to get a picture of them when I pull them

:)

Edited by Juthro, 21 September 2017 - 03:42 PM.

#37 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

Now I am hungry.

• Juthro likes this

#38 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:54 PM

I forgot to mention for about the first three hours of cooking, they will get a blend of apple, cherry, maple, and hickory smoke.

And I will most likely sauce them about 30min before I pull them from the smoker, but I haven't decided for sure yet....

#39 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,798 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:03 PM

Now I am hungry.

Your always welcome by my fire, friend.

While I cant promise to have any of this batch left by the time you get here, I can promise that I will make another batch when you do make it. (or would you prefer salmon?)

:)
  • Spooner likes this

#40 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

This thread does cause munchies, nothing like home made it's always the best. I worked all day yesterday but I canned jars for spawn.
  • Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!