#1 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,250 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:50 AM

"The first picture describes how to make your own filter bags using common materials: the cap of a needle with one end cut open, and the other with Red RTV silicone glue on end so it is a self sealing injection port. Anything would work though, a small metal, glass, or plastic tubing or pipe.

Then you just wrap EZ felt or some other polyester like... fiber sheeting around it. Tape it together to stop it from unrolling, and then put in the bag. Ziptie the bag so it's a fairly snug fit, and you're good to go! You own spawn bag with an injection port!

Then the next picture we all saw recently, but it's a good reminder for what could be done with this self made bag. Automatic injection syringes could inoculate hundreds of bags with just one liter of liquid culture. All you need to do is point and aim. They have a spring in them that pushes the Plunger back up as it refills the syringe via a one way valve." CR

I had a couple of questions: Where do you get non filter polypropylene bags that are autoclavable? Will the Syringe plastic cover withstand autoclaving? i would guess that he is injecting liquid culture so these would be grain bags and not sawdust bags (slow or delayed colonization) unless you did a combined all- in- one bag tek (grain and sawdust) ala Peter McCoy's description in his treatise Radical Mycology.  What kind of mycelia is the guy using? Oysters vs. others, very important

Makeshift bags.jpg

Edited by Seeker2be, 05 April 2016 - 12:26 PM.

• PsyBearknot, Heirloom and PurplePower79 like this

#2 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,174 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:30 PM

Could you use turkey sized oven bags. I ran one through my pc and it help up but the micropore  tapefell off , maybe the silicon will hold. Don't know if this is useful.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#3 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,250 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:33 PM

Never tried it just relating the tek I saw but it didn't answer the usual journalistic questions: who , what, why, how etc etc etc.  What are turkey bags made of ?

#4 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,174 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:15 PM

oven bags are made of nylon or polyester and withstand temps of 400-450 F. I believe they need to be kept from touching the sides for uneven high heat concerns. at any grocery store.

• pastyoureyes likes this

#5 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,250 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:18 PM

Wow thanks.  I will experiment with them.  I didn't know about them.

#6 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,174 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:05 PM

i'll soak some rye  to prep it and made a bag or 2 with these oven bags might mix some coir in and grow it invitro.

Box of 5 bags $ 2.99 about 16" x 18".

Attached Thumbnails

• oven bag pic 001.JPG

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 05 April 2016 - 06:06 PM.

• Sicshroom likes this

#7 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,243 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:31 PM

I had problems with oven bags and the seal at the bottom of the bag. Even with them wrapped up in a kitchen towel to protect it from the PC walls.

Not saying don't try oven bags just saying the couple times I tried it failed for me.

I like the injection port idea tho
  • Heirloom likes this

#8 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,174 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:47 PM

I thought about the towel idea I am putting a filter in the top , so when the bags expand they put no pressure on the seams.

I will show good or bad.  

The bags  Myc mentioned in the edibles forum sound like a great deal ( 1k @ 28 cents each with .5 micron filter ) and so much easier and half the cost. more suited than oven bags but I am already committed to give it a go. The problem I had before was I used micropore tape as a filter which failed.

I got plenty of rye and a bit of spores in a syringe that will go to waste if I don't use them. if it works I can always use the mushrooms .

• Myc and Sicshroom like this

#9 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,174 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:45 PM

ok , I pc'd this oven bag with polyfill zipped at the top for a filter. I will nocc it with some cubes. 

The bag did not melt the polyfill is dry , I covered the top with foil to help keep the polyfill filter dry.

Attached Thumbnails

• oven bag after PC 001.JPG

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 06 April 2016 - 05:47 PM.

• Myc, Microbe, pastyoureyes and 1 other like this

#10 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,174 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:25 PM

I looked at the bag this morning and saw mycelium growth , so I mixed it around, spreading it ,like shaking a jar does

Post some pics when I got something to see.

Then I will cut holes in the bag and stuff with pollyfil  for gas exchange, I expect a decent harvest .

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 14 April 2016 - 04:25 PM.

• Sicshroom likes this

#11 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,879 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:22 PM

Unicorn Bags are the best but they can only be purchased in units of 1,000. Cost me a little under 300 after shipping.

Eazyfelt makes a excellent filter when used in conjunction with micropore tape(no silicone required) and im getting ready make another no pour agar vessel that is going to be the easiest way known to date to fill plates and second to only the automatic plate filling machines that cost 1,000's of dollars. The great thing is it cost about 5 dollars to make and i will share it very soon!

My point i wanted to make was unicorn bags and eazyfelt are great.
  • Heirloom , Cigarsam and Chroogomphus like this

#12 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,174 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

I agree that bags made for growing mushrooms would be a better choice. 1000 bags is more that I could use in years.

I think I might give them a try but buy like 100 if possible, I want to try doing edible/med shrooms.

How do you seal them after filled?  I understand they stand up on there own allowing a person to do several at a time in a PC.

#13 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Donator

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:07 AM

Heirloom any chance at an update on your progress?
  • sillyrabbitcubiesR4us likes this

#14 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,174 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:56 AM

I just loked at the oven bag there are chunks of mycelium. I think that I made this to wet though. time will tell.

• sillyrabbitcubiesR4us and Sicshroom like this

#15 Cigarsam

Cigarsam

Traveler

• Free Member
  • 723 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

Keep us updated. Thanks

#16 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 4,174 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

I lost it , my fault the rye grain was to wet.

There are plenty of people doing bag grows I think MLB did pasteurized  coir and mushroom culture mixed and grown in very large ziplocks.

anyways I might as well come back with a few bags of z strain growing a bag.

• Sicshroom likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!