• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 Roasty McToasty

Roasty McToasty

Third eye squeegeed

• Expired Member
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:55 AM

Hey Hash, are you still working on your build?

#42 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:48 AM

Hey Hash, are you still working on your build?

Yes, I got side tracked working on the plants themselves, they were having some Phosphorus/pH problems so was working on that.

I'm putting together the original COB's that I purchased at the beginning of the thread they were 36. Bucks and their going to be about 60watts total. Waiting for heatsinks and fans 40. dollars.

I'm now trying to do this on the cheap so I can post on some marijana forums something like 'Grow a pound for under 100. Dollars (or whatever the final cost and weight will be.

Edited by Hash_Man, 20 June 2016 - 10:15 AM.

• Microbe likes this

#43 Roasty McToasty

Roasty McToasty

Third eye squeegeed

• Expired Member
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:46 PM

Are you still planning to parallel those cobs together. I do not recommend this as you may get thermal runaway. Thats where 1 or more cobs run hotter and then those cobs need more power and compounds the problem until they fry. Constant current wired in series is the way to go as it drives your cobs evenly. Hope i didn't just derail your project.
  • Heirloom likes this

#44 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,540 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:05 PM

I wish you well Hash, it would be great if you can grow a pound for under a $100. That would inspire a lot of people struggling in this world.      

I believe that a creative mind can find an inexpensive way to provide high quality cannabis to those who need it. There maybe several ways to do this. Those LED's are extremely bright and work for a long time.

I have thought about showing a good grow can be done for little startup cost.

again the best of luck to you.

• Sicshroom likes this

#45 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

LOL, we'll bro it will be short of a pound for sure, even when I did it before in a bit larger area it was barely 40g a week times that by 8-9 weeks well you see not quite a pound (laughter)

Did I mention this is a perpetual grow?
  • Microbe and Heirloom like this

#46 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:36 PM

Are you still planning to parallel those cobs together. I do not recommend this as you may get thermal runaway. Thats where 1 or more cobs run hotter and then those cobs need more power and compounds the problem until they fry. Constant current wired in series is the way to go as it drives your cobs evenly. Hope i didn't just derail your project.

Thanks Roasty! What are the chances of that? I'm asking seriously. I know that can happen but I'm not running full wattage don't have my figures right now but it's like if the driver can handle 7 COB's I'm running six. Hmmm you got me thinking. .

#47 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,191 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:43 PM

Thanks Roasty! What are the chances of that? I'm asking seriously. I know that can happen but I'm not running full wattage don't have my figures right now but it's like if the driver can handle 7 COB's I'm running six. Hmmm you got me thinking. .
Sup Hashman? Brah i get what roasty is saying but i would wire in parallel and if you are concerned with thermal runaway , or more accurately stated, concerned about the probability of it happening, then integrate resistors.

Im no COB or LED expert nor am i a electrician. I am simply a autodidact electrician who understands just enough to own a home and my limited 3 or 4 months of COB research haulted a few months ago so what im saying may be inaccurate.

If you are using low quality components then the probability is high. But if your using low quality components then the chances are the exact same set up would perform less then average as it series. Even with top line product such as imo, the cree cxa3590's, there is always the risk if safety measures installed.

Im speculating but you probably dont have a powerful enough or not enough drivers to run 7 in series. Budget is something to consider. It requires more expensive drivers and more of them to run X amount of COBS in series then it does in parallel. Even with a constant voltage driver current can fluctuate while wiring in series resulting in dark spots over your canopy.

I may have already shared these.

http://www.edn.com/d...lel-LED-strings

Beside the videos you seen by mouzer or whatever his name is, this is one of my favorites when i need a refresher.

http://www.ledsupply...og/#article/931

#48 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:39 PM

Thanks M77,
your right money is an issue but also want to make the right decision in long run, so I'm trying to avoid buying or making something just to replace it latter. Luckily RoastyToasty found me a driver to run my six COB'S in series and will be purchasing that directly and post the 'how's and whys' all at one time when it's done.

Today I received the heatsink it's called Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 PLUS the heatsink and fan13.99 a price like that I can buy them all day long, everyone uses them.
20160623_190420.jpg

I can probably build two a month,
so currently looking for a Cree CXB3070 3500k, being my Meanwell driver is 1.7 amps I think they say the 3070's run very efficient at that current but the CXB3070's are really hard to find especially 3500k may have to go with last years CXA3070 or vero29. If I understand you guys right the Vero29's are more efficient at higher current, I'll have to read back.

Edited by Hash_Man, 23 June 2016 - 06:47 PM.

• Roasty McToasty and Microbe like this

#49 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:05 PM

Oh . . Vero29 is a different voltage

#50 Roasty McToasty

Roasty McToasty

Third eye squeegeed

• Expired Member
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

I use arctic alpine 64 plus.

https://smile.amazon... alpine 64 plus

$11.51 a piece. Dam the price keeps going down. Last time i bought they were 12.64.

Vero 29's are 38v a piece.

#51 Roasty McToasty

Roasty McToasty

Third eye squeegeed

• Expired Member
  • 573 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:37 PM

Thank you Hash for allowing me to post some pics of my autoflowers under my DIY COB LED's. This is my first run with these lights and I'd like to share what these lights are doing.

Right now I have a vero 29, 3 COB rig (3500k) running at 130w, and my 8 Cree COB beast (3000K) at 160w in a 5x5 tent. I'm running them soft to keep the temps down now that its summertime. Plants are between 12 and 16 inches from COB's. I have both lamps toward the sides of the tent and tilted them toward the center of the tent.

20160625_095857.jpg

Group shot.

20160625_044920.jpg

Sour Crack. These are around 10 days older than the others.

20160625_095758.jpg

Sour Orange Diesel Kush (SODK). These are almost double the height of the others.

20160625_095816.jpg

Auto Blues, bred from an elite uk cheese clone. Short and compact.

20160625_095838.jpg

Sorry for the shitty pics as my cam sucks.

These lights can throw some heat out so you need decent airflow to keep temps balanced. Unless you are driving soft and placing them closer to your canopy, but airflow is better in both cases. For your girls and your lamps. When temps tumble late fall i will welcome the heat and drive harder at a further distance.

So far I am impressed with my setup.

Peace

• Hash_Man, kcmoxtractor and Microbe like this

#52 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2016 - 03:03 PM

The first picture is the Vero29's 3500k? I'm curious if you have an opinion between 3500k and 3000k's (all things being equal)?

I like that idea turning lamps in like that.

I've got my eye on the sour crack, definitely indica dom I like how it grows any training involve? do you know how the high is?

#53 Roasty McToasty

Roasty McToasty

Third eye squeegeed

• Expired Member
  • 573 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

Hindsight 20/20 i wish I'd made 4 of the cree cobs 3500k for a blend. Not sure about an opinion as i have no exp. to back it up. The vero 3500k seems more cool white while driven soft, while driven hard is more warm. My hps was 2700k so i thought that was best for flowering, that's why i chose 3000k. Some like the extra blue in the 3500k-5000k cobs. And the higher kelvins usually get a higher lm/w efficasy. I'm happy with what i got though.

Ya it just seemed like it was covering everything better turning the lamps like that.

I kind of just been bending softly some of the branches out to get more light. They say not to mess with AFs due to their short growing cycle. So i just been gently stretching outward. The SODK is a beast compared to the others in size. It seemed to veg longer as its got the least dense flowers, for now.

Can't comment on the high till i smoke these, but I'll let you know.

Edited by Roasty McToasty, 25 June 2016 - 05:44 PM.

• Hash_Man, kcmoxtractor and Microbe like this

#54 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

The vero 3500k seems more cool white while driven soft, while driven hard is more warm. My hps was 2700k so i thought that was best for flowering, that's why i chose 3000k. Some like the extra blue in the 3500k-5000k cobs

That's good to know information to work with man, I grasp any bit of info on this stuff I can.

20160505_185905~2.jpg

I have the above driver an it is perfect to run a single Cree CXB3070 at its best operating current posible and some say is one of the most efficient growing lamps if not the most efficient grow light.
IMG_6332-300x300.jpg

Late last week i was looking to buy the Cree CXB3070 they were hard to find but I did finally find some at mouser electronics and bought one.

I only one, because they were a little expensive 54.00.

So that's one complete COB setup setup I have the parts for.

Now knowing my girl will have a fit (to say the least), saying something like . .

Her - "you spent 57.00 on what!'

Me - ''I need it everyone has them' . .

Her: 'if everyone one jumped of a bridge, would you!?'

Well all that never happen - not yet anyway.

Earlier last Friday while on this quest to find this seemingly elusive COB I emailed Pacific Lighting Concepts and asked

"when might you guys be getting the cxb3070's in, I only need two''

I was anticipating I'll save some money up by the time they have it in.

Latter after I already purchased one that COB from Mouser.com
Joseph at Pacific Lighting Concepts emails me

'Hi Jon
We have a few to send you - what's your shipping address -$33ea
Thanks
Joseph'

That's half the price I just paid for one @Mouser Electronics.

How the fuck am I going to tell him I don't have the money right now and rent is due . . my girlfriend would kill me.

SO I BOUGHT TWO!

I have one heatsink/fan that cost 13.95 and that will make one full COB module.

I'll need two or more drivers and two or more heatsink/fans

Artic Alpine 11 PLUS 13.99
20160623_190420.jpg

Edited by Hash_Man, 26 June 2016 - 04:27 PM.

• Microbe likes this

#55 Roasty McToasty

Roasty McToasty

Third eye squeegeed

• Expired Member
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

Nice pickup Hash! Hope you don't get in too much trouble. I know from experience on that one.lol

I hope you have some vertical height to blast those at 1.7mA, you'll probably need 2' clearance from the cob's. Great idea for taller grow spaces, It's more efficient to drive them softer and closer to your plants. It saves electricity, heat, and wear and tear on your cob's/drivers. You can buy a driver to push all 3 (or 4) at 1750 mA, but like i said, you'll need head space. I could run 700w right now in my tent if i hung em high, but that seems like a waste. My cree cobs are being driven at 20w a piece, and I have em around a foot away from plants. Just did the math and my current is ~1100mA. So I suggest getting a 1050mA driver that pushes all 3 3070's. This 200w driver will do 3-5 cobs, this 250w driver can do up to 4-6 cobs on that 1 driver. I know you want to use that driver you have, but its a constant voltage and constant current, I think. You could probably parallel 2 cobs on it(~800mA), or 3 (~575mA), or blast one with it. These cobs are powerful and throw out heat and photons driven that hard (1.7A), you don't want to cook your girls. If I was going back in time, I'd would have gone lower current. It really is all about the space you have. If you do go the high current route (like I did) just make sure to get a dim able driver (Mean Well B version) and you can set whatever current you want (10%-100%) of max. Just solder 2 wires to a 100k potentiometer (~$1 on amazon). Now you can hang em high, or move close and dim. You'll need a driver for your heatsink fans as well, I use Mean Well APV-12-12 to push 3-4 of those HS fans. Sorry for the blabbering.

• Microbe likes this

#56 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

Oh I see that now I was mistaken by the 3070's amp rating, so anyone reading I was wrong about all the efficiency stuff above.

@McToasty: being what you said, I definitely do not want to run the COB's at 1700mA . . so I should be about right if I use the HLG-185H-C1050B driver and run 4 COB's and it has dimming anyway (I believe).

also note: the driver will be mounted externally (18 gauge stranded)

I'm prepared to go LST instead of single colas I'll figure it out by that time.

#57 Roasty McToasty

Roasty McToasty

Third eye squeegeed

• Expired Member
  • 573 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:41 AM

"Do you think the 4 cobs at 1050mA in that cab 34"X 20" X aprox. 48" high is okay? I can still build a thing to increase height"

Yes, should be good. And dimming gives you maximum ability to place higher or lower. More cobs driven softer is the way to go imo. Some drive them at 700mA and keep within 6" away from plants. Thats the beauty of dimming, gives you options.
  • Hash_Man and Microbe like this

#58 Hash_Man

Hash_Man

Cranky Old Weed Codger

• OG VIP
  • 2,368 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:04 PM

Yes, these things are beautiful and versatile in so many aspects, thanks for the confirmation McToasty

Talk about fast service on Friday evening I ordered those COB's from PacificLightingConcepts.com, paid PayPal Saturday morning and recieved them just now.

20160627_163418.png 20160627_163448.png

Edited by Hash_Man, 27 June 2016 - 06:51 PM.

• Roasty McToasty and Microbe like this

#59 Roasty McToasty

Roasty McToasty

Third eye squeegeed

• Expired Member
  • 573 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:55 AM

Nice score bro.

Idk if you've seen this cree tool, it helps figure specs out.

pct.cree.com/

#60 Roasty McToasty

Roasty McToasty

Third eye squeegeed

• Expired Member
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:39 AM

So i thought i might be too short on light and turned my 8 cob beast up a tad. Next day i had bleaching on my girls. So i dialed it back and they are ok now. Powerful AF these are. 300w is my max at 1 foot distance. Thought this might help.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!