157 replies to this topic

#21 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:19 AM

In my humble opinion, one should be very careful with the whole 'everything is going to shit' attitude. Demagoguery, melodrama, and a farcically laden political system are as old as society itself. For one to believe that we have it worse than generations before us, is short sighted and most likely incorrect (not to mention self involved/selfish).

We are growing new organs in petri dishes, printing prosthetic limbs for children in garages, and we have essentially everything learned ever, at our fingertips. The internet is ushering in a new era of transparency that has never been seen before. That actually is new. The ability of average citizens of the world, to learn about anything one desires, is closing the gap between the top and the bottom. 

Before this thread is bombarded with examples of how shitty life is for __________ or for  ___________, it is not lost on me, that we have mountains of work to do for true equality. However, I think that we are in the best position that we've ever been in, for a near utopian goal to be realized.

Once technology enables us to airdrop low cost machines to purify water and once we harness solar power for everybody on earth (or however it will be achieved), the gap will be shortened considerably and I am optimistic that this will happen sooner than later. Technology is in our hands now. 

It's up to us, for every douchebag in power that is trying to hold us back, there are hundreds if not thousands of people that can and must fight back. For the first time ever, we actually can. Thank you science.

end cat rant.

Edited by catattack, 12 May 2016 - 07:21 AM.

• Fresh Brewed, Coopdog, fungi2bwith and 5 others like this

#22 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:17 AM

Just put a picture of a generic human. "Humans only" all Grey's, reptilians, and other interplanetary species need to go out behind the dumpster. ;)
The debate about "non human" bathroom use coming soon, I'm sure!

That's racist and I won't stand for it. ;)  Wouldn't singling out "Grey's, Reptilians, and other Interplanetary Species" be just as bigoted and backward as the current discussion? One day, perhaps, this bathroom argument will be held again, but concerning the above vs the below - if you catch my drift.

Once technology enables us to airdrop low cost machines to purify water and once we harness solar power for everybody on earth (or however it will be achieved), the gap will be shortened considerably and I am optimistic that this will happen sooner than later. Technology is in our hands now. 

It's up to us, for every douchebag in power that is trying to hold us back, there are hundreds if not thousands of people that can and must fight back. For the first time ever, we actually can. Thank you science.

This, I feel, is true to some extent. The issue is the controls put in place to prevent such ubiquitous proliferation of anything. The only reason someone "in power" stays in power is through the control of *some* resource that others want or need. The Internet is a great place, lots of transparency, lots of learning opportunities, sure; BUT, what is it built upon? What about the devices that are used to access said hub of ultimate knowledge? Who manufactures them?

The point I'm trying to make is that money controls all of this, which is just another resource that is regulated. The only way to true freedom is the proliferation of the very resources that are being controlled. Why do you think the USA has fought all those wars in the middle east? Cause we like sand? Cause we want to spread democracy? lol - nerp, oil. Money. Resources. Power. Control.

So while on the surface I can agree, digging deeper makes me question the ultimate feasibility of your proposal to freedom because the vary things you discuss are controlled by corporations that may or may not be state or government regulated, and all depend on the flow of money to be present in the first place. If ISP's stopped providing service, or worse yet, were regulated like they are in China, what data do you think you could access? What is the mega-corps that produce your iPhone, iPad, and laptop stopped making or heavily regulated the proliferation of those devices? If any one link in the chain that allows you access to this wealth of knowledge changes or goes away, we're all going to be in just as much trouble as the poor dirt clad 3rd-world countries are now. 

It's all just a giant balancing act and co-sharing of power and money and control over all the resources that we citizens take for granted, and we're only one major disaster away from ripping that entire infrastructure to shreds. Not only that, but if you can't pay you can't play.

Generally, the transparency thing is great. Panama Papers anyone? Snowden leaks? It's making it difficult to be so outwardly dishonest and corrupt, but that's not going to make it go away - they'll just learn how to better manage things and just like the criminal world they will figure out a way to get around the controls that they're mostly involved with regulating in the first place. It's only a matter of time.

• Coopdog, fungi2bwith and SteampunkScientist like this

#23 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

Just put a picture of a generic human. "Humans only" all Grey's, reptilians, and other interplanetary species need to go out behind the dumpster. ;)
The debate about "non human" bathroom use coming soon, I'm sure!

That's racist and I won't stand for it. ;)  Wouldn't singling out "Grey's, Reptilians, and other Interplanetary Species" be just as bigoted and backward as the current discussion? One day, perhaps, this bathroom argument will be held again, but concerning the above vs the below - if you catch my drift.

This, I feel, is true to some extent. The issue is the controls put in place to prevent such ubiquitous proliferation of anything. The only reason someone "in power" stays in power is through the control of *some* resource that others want or need. The Internet is a great place, lots of transparency, lots of learning opportunities, sure; BUT, what is it built upon? What about the devices that are used to access said hub of ultimate knowledge? Who manufactures them?

The point I'm trying to make is that money controls all of this, which is just another resource that is regulated. The only way to true freedom is the proliferation of the very resources that are being controlled. Why do you think the USA has fought all those wars in the middle east? Cause we like sand? Cause we want to spread democracy? lol - nerp, oil. Money. Resources. Power. Control.

So while on the surface I can agree, digging deeper makes me question the ultimate feasibility of your proposal to freedom because the vary things you discuss are controlled by corporations that may or may not be state or government regulated, and all depend on the flow of money to be present in the first place. If ISP's stopped providing service, or worse yet, were regulated like they are in China, what data do you think you could access? What is the mega-corps that produce your iPhone, iPad, and laptop stopped making or heavily regulated the proliferation of those devices? If any one link in the chain that allows you access to this wealth of knowledge changes or goes away, we're all going to be in just as much trouble as the poor dirt clad 3rd-world countries are now. 

It's all just a giant balancing act and co-sharing of power and money and control over all the resources that we citizens take for granted, and we're only one major disaster away from ripping that entire infrastructure to shreds. Not only that, but if you can't pay you can't play.

Generally, the transparency thing is great. Panama Papers anyone? Snowden leaks? It's making it difficult to be so outwardly dishonest and corrupt, but that's not going to make it go away - they'll just learn how to better manage things and just like the criminal world they will figure out a way to get around the controls that they're mostly involved with regulating in the first place. It's only a matter of time.

I am limited on time, so please forgive my hurried and incomplete response. In my utopian vision, actual 'money' will obsolete. What is a bag of gold or a stack of hundys going to be worth when it no longer has any actual value. Once gold and other 'precious minerals' can be synthesized or mined out of asteroids or whatever, what will cash represent? Once every home has a 3d printer capable of placing manufacturing in the hands of us commoners, it will disarm our overlords.

Again, I apologize for my 'cliff note' response, these spores aren't going to germinate themselves onto agar..   ;) 

• Coopdog likes this

#24 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 4,951 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:56 AM

I agree. The concept of money will likely be changing. BUT... That is but one resource that is being controlled for power. Making that ubiquitous would mean *something* else would take its place.

As humanity fights repressive power, looking into the resources that power controls and doing our part to make that resource as ubiquitous as possible through innovation is the only way to usurp it, but that also depends on *their* allowing that creation and usurpation. Think H2O cars, Battery Cars, or any other latent technology that's disappeared or been hushed to prevent an upset in status quo. What about Tesla? What about his tower? Wireless power distribution?

There are so many conspiracies surrounding the innovation and continuation of status quo, most of them are probably true. ;)

• Coopdog, fungi2bwith and catattack like this

#25 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,679 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:58 AM

Nothing has any value that we don't give it.  Everything we see is temporary.  If everything except our life ended, what would we then value?  Perhaps we should do that now and avoid the rush.

• Zen_, Coopdog, Arathu and 2 others like this

#26 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:37 AM

Nothing has any value that we don't give it.  Everything we see is temporary.  If everything except our life ended, what would we then value?  Perhaps we should do that now and avoid the rush.

Right? Personally, I like to step even further back from our miniscule marble, does even life matter ? One could look at 'life' as a doomed experiment. Purrhaps a frozen piece of rock is more evolutionarily sound, but that is another thread altogether.

#27 Pan1

Pan1

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:16 PM

In my humble opinion, one should be very careful with the whole 'everything is going to shit' attitude. Demagoguery, melodrama, and a farcically laden political system are as old as society itself. For one to believe that we have it worse than generations before us, is short sighted and most likely incorrect (not to mention self involved/selfish).

We are growing new organs in petri dishes, printing prosthetic limbs for children in garages, and we have essentially everything learned ever, at our fingertips. The internet is ushering in a new era of transparency that has never been seen before. That actually is new. The ability of average citizens of the world, to learn about anything one desires, is closing the gap between the top and the bottom.

Agreed, science and technology has come along way. diseases that where a death sentence a generation ago, are now treatable livable curable but millions still die because they cant afford treatment.

almost every piece of information is at our fingertips, not many people would of dreamed what we are doing now 30 years ago. but are governments are illegally tapping us, they have satellites in space that can see the color of your eyes. the privacy laws either are not caching up or in the case my country getting worse, they have needed a warrant to tap a phone for, forever, but a couple of years ago passed a law that they can tap your internet with out one. What does this mean for people in my country, if they are not already they will be soon recording the entire internet in my country, running it threw a couple of computers flagging users and walla theres a report on a police desk, this includes me using this forum!

things are lot better in a lot of ways! but some things are slowly getting worse.

We the people need to stand up, but most people are ether to afraid or to stupid!

Also i believe i will be one of the last generations not to be immortal!

Edited by Pan1, 14 May 2016 - 12:47 AM.

• Coopdog and catattack like this

#28 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:46 PM

IMHO, we will continue to eat our controllers shit and call it caviar... Everything is rigged and there isn't anything that doesn't happen in this world that our Gov't doesn't know about already. 

We will accept a new communistic gov't with open arms, and it doesn't really matter who you vote for anymore, it's all controlled.

We live in a state of fear, and because we don't have the same values as we did in 1775, we will continue to bow to so said political leaders.  People no longer have the balls to stand up for true freedom and they've forgotten that there is no actual authority over them at all.....

Technology is amazing, until it gets into the wrong hands.....like the powers that be....

I figure, f*ck it, I'm just here for the ride.....So bring on the waves of refugees,  A.I., a cashless society,  Agenda 21, police states, microchipping, GMO's, and try to take my guns.....I'll still be here in the desert doin' what I do.....

Edited by fungi2bwith, 13 May 2016 - 10:48 PM.

• Coopdog and sedaeng like this

#29 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,095 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:19 AM

...we don't have the same values as we did in 1775...

I'd be curious to hear those values explained further.

#30 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• Free Member
  • 3,424 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:11 PM

People haven't changed since Cain killed Abel. We like to think we have, but as a whole we really haven't.
  • Coopdog and Il19z8rn4li1 like this

#31 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,234 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:41 PM

The current controllers have 2 other items they use, don't forget...

They control the education system. So they can turn out unenlightened sheep by the millions.

And they control media/entertainment (not much difference there really). So they can keep the sheep in a state of confused sedation.

So all that info on the net, but you know what most sheep use the net for...

What does this really mean?

I would suggest it really means that we are the elite... We who discuss and actually think about things...

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 14 May 2016 - 03:41 PM.

• Coopdog, fungi2bwith and catattack like this

#32 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

Sheep need shepherds..

#33 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:35 PM

I almost deleted this thread after Alder's first response to me. I was a little too busy. Now I come back in here and I am once again humbled and impressed with the amazing intellects that I can come in here and co-exist with. Thank you all for the wonderful perspectives you have shared in this thread. It was a pleasure to catch up and take in.

Peace...and thanks for being just who you are!

• catattack and SteampunkScientist like this

#34 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:42 PM

...we don't have the same values as we did in 1775...

I'd be curious to hear those values explained further.

By values, I am referring to the ability to fight for our freedoms, picking up arms, organizing, and taking back what is rightfully the peoples.

People are afraid of death, and rightfully so I suppose, I mean who really wants to be a martyr?

I guess what I was getting at was the ease at which people picked up arms and stood side by side, brothers in arms, and as Americans, fought for their freedom from the tyranny of Great Britain......

Actually, I'm sure it wasn't easy to go and fight and leave your family behind, not knowing what would happen, but it was done none the less....

Today's day and age, I would say that the system would have to be tactically infiltrated and destroyed from the inside out.....

[Direct Link]

Edited by fungi2bwith, 14 May 2016 - 07:51 PM.

• Myc likes this

#35 sedaeng

sedaeng

n≡ith≡r gφd nφr mαst≡r

• Black VIP
  • 315 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:06 PM

the Hopi refer to these transitions as rebirth and they are simply referred to as 'worlds'.  we are on the cusp of transitioning from the 4th to the 5th world. along with other ancient references to the same cycles by other civilizations.

Long story short, it appears as though (according to the Hindu) our world goes through "Ages" - golden age, silver age, bronze age, iron age. This great cycle spans a period of time encompassing roughly some 25,000 years for a complete oscillation from one golden age to the next....

• Myc and Alder Logs like this

#36 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,367 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:49 AM

sedaeng,

I love that avatar

it's good art and really captures the "x-ray" kinds of things I've seen on an Aya cruise

Sorry to threadjack, back to the decay of all decent things   :(

• Coopdog and sedaeng like this

#37 gatekeeper

gatekeeper

Smoke Drifter

• Free Member
  • 244 posts

Donator

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:07 AM

Today's day and age, I would say that the system would have to be tactically infiltrated and destroyed from the inside out.....

I feel like America just needs a little Anarchy. The Europeans know how to riot and there leaders tend to listen a bit better because of it. Not for total anarchy, humans aren't capable of keeping that system going, just enough to wipe the slate a bit and remind those in power they're outnumber 1000 to 1. Perhaps more would get done.... or more indoctrination would be introduced to keep it from happening again, it may be a gamble but it would be fun.

• Coopdog, catattack and sedaeng like this

#38 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,679 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

[Direct Link]

#39 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,367 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:11 PM

I won't settle for just tearing the system down.

I want justice and I want retribution

A couple thousand or more people have earned long lasting and horrible end of life scenarios.

They have stolen and killed, and had the macabre testicles to do it in MY name. Fuck that and fuck them, very much.

end/rant  begin/xanax

• Coopdog, riseabovethought and SteampunkScientist like this

#40 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,234 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:29 PM

It's interesting how many religious talk about a "golden age", then silver, then bronz, then iron. The Bible has this in Daniel's vision of the kings dream (the statue).
  • gatekeeper likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!