167 replies to this topic

#81 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,815 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:15 AM

the future is just a continuation of the past. we can't know the future but we do know the past. In fact I'd say the past is the only place where the truth can be found, especially in politics, politicking, and reporting on the same.

my point being that looking at the past and watching the trends, current and historic, are fairly reliable tools for guessing at the future. That ain't projecting in the psychological sense, it's projecting in the practical sense. Like projecting amounts of lumber coming out of the forest of the East Coast based on numbers from the last ten years kind of projecting.

Nice that anyone can see riots in the big cities past , present, and future as things not to concern ones' self with and that geography or proximity to eternity (me too) insulate one from the horrors of said rioting but I goshdamned guarantee you if you live in a big city these things are life changers. One must keep both eyes tuned to life changers lest he too soon join the Legions of Dead Buddhists Who Didn't See It Coming.

And that is why one ignores these political trends at his own peril. Some of us are still rather committed to their meat-form-conveyances, ya' know? Whether by choice or necessity is another matter......

Edited by pharmer, 14 November 2016 - 02:26 AM.

• Coopdog and Heirloom like this

#82 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,762 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:42 AM

Project Veritas appears not to have the same political motivation and certainly not the cash that major media has, and they have found a way to break stories on real corruption, although I would not be surprised if James O'Keef has an unfortunate"accident".

#83 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,610 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:17 AM

I checked out a couple of the videos on the ProjectVeritas website and I gotta say I was not impressed.

As to the "voter fraud" video, what the undercover "journalist" did was simply cast an affidavit ballot.  The affidavit ballot is used when somebody does not appear on a voter registry for some reason.  By casting an affidavit ballot, a voter at least has a chance to have his or her vote counted.  It doesn't mean that the vote will be counted.  The affidavit ballot has to be accompanied by some form of ID, an affidavit by the voter, and is subject to vetting after the fact.  The voter can later come back and check whether or not the vote was counted.  I think it's safe to assume that if two votes are cast by the same person, it will be a red flag.

Now, the people that put ProjectVeritas together are obviously intelligent.  I'm sure they knew what they were doing.  But there is no mention of nature or process of the affidavit ballot that their agent is casting. 

[sarcasm] Now why on earth would they leave an important point like that out? [/sarcasm]

If they have a problem with affidavit ballots, that's completely understandable and they should say so.  But that's not what they're saying.  They're implying that this woman went in and literally cast someone else's ballot and it was counted because there are absolutely no protections in place.  This is exactly the kind of thing that sticks in my craw when it comes to "news" media, whether liberal or conservative.

http://projectverita...abedins-ballot/

Two funny things: that "journalist" could now be prosecuted for voter fraud herself.  Also, how big would the army of burka-wearing fraudsters have to be to affect an election?

Here's some information on affidavit ballots.  This pdf is from a single state but it will give you the gist: Attached File  Municipal Affidavit Ballot Procedures 2.2.14.pdf   238.3KB   39 downloads

Edited by Sidestreet, 15 November 2016 - 06:49 AM.

#84 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,762 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:19 PM

Yeah I get that Sidestreet, I was pointing them out more along the lines that they actually try some things to see if/what corruption there may be, rather than Google or copy whatever the AP puts out (which much of main stream media does).

And they do have a few videos that are rather interesting... such as the acorn prostitution one where they are dressed as if they walked out of central casting dressed as a 70's pimp and prostitute. It was at least entertaining... :)

#85 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• Black VIP
  • 10,153 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:00 PM

My gut says that O'Keefe is an opportunist fuck with an over-the-top partisan bias.

• Skywatcher likes this

#86 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,191 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:51 PM

OK, maybe I'm just in need of sleep and I missed something, but I just read that Trump is not allowing registered lobbyists to be part of his administration, and that those who become part of his administration will not be allowed to return as lobbyists until 5 years after they leave.

This is a good thing.... Right??
  • Coopdog and SteampunkScientist like this

#87 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,762 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:46 AM

My gut says that O'Keefe is an opportunist fuck with an over-the-top partisan bias.

Ha ha! That may be Alder, that may be...

But he did get you to say "opportunist fuck"! Ha! :)

#88 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,610 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:38 AM

Yeah I get that Sidestreet, I was pointing them out more along the lines that they actually try some things to see if/what corruption there may be, rather than Google or copy whatever the AP puts out (which much of main stream media does).

And they do have a few videos that are rather interesting... such as the acorn prostitution one where they are dressed as if they walked out of central casting dressed as a 70's pimp and prostitute. It was at least entertaining... :)

I definitely approve of investigative journalism, and I hear what you're saying about mainstream media, but I'm not satisfied to exchange one kind of shenanigans for another.  I'll gladly change my tune if you can show me something credible that they've done, but if what I've seen so far is representative, I have to give them the business.  Shitty journalism is a pet peeve of mine; I've had plenty to say about bad left-leaning and mainstream news sources too.

At the same time, I want to say that my attitude is directed at the outlets only and doesn't extend to you, the readers.  I love you guys and if you find that source to be a helpful window to the world, more power to you. <3

OK, maybe I'm just in need of sleep and I missed something, but I just read that Trump is not allowing registered lobbyists to be part of his administration, and that those who become part of his administration will not be allowed to return as lobbyists until 5 years after they leave.

At this point I'm on board with anything that limits lobbyists' access to government!

Edited by Sidestreet, 17 November 2016 - 07:41 AM.

• Coopdog, Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#89 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:12 PM

Yeah, fuck the lobbyists.  Fuckers are the bane of the US gov't.  They have no reasonable place at the table.  Why should they outnumber congressmen by ten fold?  Why should they subvert our representatives?  Why should they soil our soil?  May their jobs all be outsourced to China or India or Mexico, since they really dont have to be there in person to buy our congressmen anymore.  They can just use email for their Fortune 1000 bribes, or are they concerned about it being in writing?  Good.  They should be concerned.  Maybe they are really on their way out.  That'd be about the best news our nation has entertained in many decades.  Next that 1913 Central bank racketeering treason law can get repealed and we're off to the races. 

Edited by riseabovethought, 17 November 2016 - 01:20 PM.

• Sidestreet, Coopdog and CatsAndBats like this

#90 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,153 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:37 PM

Next that 1913 Central bank racketeering treason law can get repealed and we're off to the races. 

It almost happened in 1963.  It could get a guy killed!

gallery_131808_1351_92136.jpg

• Sidestreet, Myc, Coopdog and 1 other like this

#91 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,246 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2016 - 03:13 AM

Alder, are you suggesting Kennedy was going to repeal the Fed?

• Coopdog likes this

#92 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,762 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:18 AM

From Wikipedia entry for executive order 11110:

" Jim Marrs, in his book Crossfire, presented the theory that Kennedy was trying to rein in the power of the Federal Reserve, and that forces opposed to such action might have played at least some part in the assassination.[16][17][18] According to Marrs, the issuance of Executive Order 11110 was an effort by Kennedy to transfer power from the Federal Reserve to the United States Department of the Treasury by replacing Federal Reserve Notes with silver certificates.[17] Actor and author Richard Belzer named the responsible parties in this theory as American "billionaires, power brokers, and bankers ... working in tandem with the CIA and other sympathetic agents of the government."[19]"

It's a theory but the actual text of President Kennedy's speech and ensuing order appear to be just eliminating the silver certificate to be replaced by gold backed notes.

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 18 November 2016 - 07:21 AM.

• Coopdog likes this

#93 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:28 AM

I heard the other day that Hitler did it too, and that was the real crime he committed that got him killed too, when he went against TPTB.

& its what killed Lincoln too.  Hmm, might we be honing in on something important here?  Nah, go back to sleep, its just a dream.  Where's my beer?

Edited by riseabovethought, 18 November 2016 - 11:29 AM.

• Myc, Coopdog and ChimX like this

#94 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,246 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:51 PM

From Wikipedia entry for executive order 11110:

" Jim Marrs, in his book Crossfire, presented the theory that Kennedy was trying to rein in the power of the Federal Reserve, and that forces opposed to such action might have played at least some part in the assassination.[16][17][18] According to Marrs, the issuance of Executive Order 11110 was an effort by Kennedy to transfer power from the Federal Reserve to the United States Department of the Treasury by replacing Federal Reserve Notes with silver certificates.[17] Actor and author Richard Belzer named the responsible parties in this theory as American "billionaires, power brokers, and bankers ... working in tandem with the CIA and other sympathetic agents of the government."[19]"

It's a theory but the actual text of President Kennedy's speech and ensuing order appear to be just eliminating the silver certificate to be replaced by gold backed notes.

Yea. I think the notion that Kennedy was trying to usurp the Fed, though a common "conspiracy" trope has been fairly well refuted.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#95 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:20 PM

^Ah well, that settles that.

#96 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,153 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:02 AM

Liberal Political Science Professors are not necessarily wrong. 

http://www.commondre...ational-suicide

#97 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,246 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:47 AM

Liberal Political Science Professors are not necessarily wrong. 

http://www.commondre...ational-suicide

True, red-staters are puzzled by the concerns of those in blue states, and sometimes you can hear them mutter: “Y’all say ‘gun homicide’, ‘teen pregnancy’, ‘infant mortality’ and ‘morbid obesity’ as if those were bad things!”

While those in the blue states have yet to appreciate the culinary joys of a deep-fried Snickers bar and a Coke for breakfast, or the many laudatory human virtues invoked by the flying of the Confederate flag.

What a shock. A myopic, condescending tone struck within four sentences of a Common Dreams article.

I also love this one:

When the chips were down, many Democrats—and certainly their leader, Lyndon Johnson—took serious political risks in order to get on the right side of history, and courageously advocated on behalf of out-groups who had little other voice within the system.  Notwithstanding the incredible sacrifices made by millions on the street in order to realize civil rights goals...

I love how the people on the street, literally risking their lives get an honorable mention by the author while Johnson and the courageous Democrats took "serious political risk". What a crock of shit. As usual, politicians saw a parade going by and decided to hijack the lead float in order to pass it off as their idea. Not being quite as shortsighted as Republicans at that time does not make Democrats worthy of such praise.

Of course, what's never mentioned by people like the author, is that all of these bills/laws which freed this or that person just a little bit more, were simply overturning laws mandated by the state in the first place. This of course, raises a set of questions which are generally left off the table.

Edited by August West, 10 December 2016 - 01:04 AM.

#98 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

I feel like its too giants' huge flaming swords crashing against each other and the Earth and mountains shake and tremble with each post.  I love it when you guys do this!   :thumbs_up: And almost always learn a lot!

#99 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• Black VIP
  • 10,153 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:47 AM

I can forgive the style points lost for what is said about how we got to where we wound up, politically.   It could be seen as the good ol' boys against the stuffed shirts, it's true.   I like the places where the right and left meet as they reach all the way around the great circle of the body politic, in the place of populism.   We do get divided by the old design.  It is probably best to read that article as a lefty.   Perhaps the right has its caricature counterpart hitting the press somewhere.   When will any Ron Paul or Dennis Kucinich ever get past the filters?

#100 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,762 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:18 AM

When will each of us just live free, first in our minds and then in this "reality"? Each of these characterizations is a grid that represents a world view.

But that grid is also a prison that filters out things that others let through their grids. So we can't quite see things the way they do.

If we can but recognize the grid for what it is, we then posses the power to remove it.

What is life like without a world view?
  • Alder Logs likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!