2599 replies to this topic

#2381 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

Good evening Community,
I’m Musher365, and I’m happy to be here. I’ve had some successful active and non active grows over the past couple years. Just looking to share experiences related to all things mycological, indoors and out with some great folks over time. And I’m always happy to help the new guy in any way I can.
Also hope to get to make some new friends along the way.
-Musher

Haha friend glad to see you!

Still trying to find my way around, but I'm managing! I do like the web version better than the mobile, the black theme is easier on my eyes lol

Anyways thanks community for being so accepting, I look forward to becoming a part of the family here!
  • coorsmikey and Billcoz like this

#2382 HermitMan

HermitMan

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:18 PM

Hello everyone. First post here, and just making an introduction. I've been journeyer for a bit, but new to growing, so I joined the community to learn a thing or two from the experienced shroomers here. It seems like y'all have well informed people. Glad to share space with others who share a love for cubensis.

• Billcoz likes this

#2383 Supersaiyanmax

Supersaiyanmax

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:36 AM

Hey guys. New member here, from New Zealand. Have successfully grown oysters from clone with the help of a friends gear. Hoping to find weraroa and grow them!

#2384 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,407 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:17 AM

Hey guys. New member here, from New Zealand. Have successfully grown oysters from clone with the help of a friends gear. Hoping to find weraroa and grow them!

Welcome to 'Topia.

Hoping you'll accomplish your goals!

#2385 Musher365

Musher365

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:19 PM

Welcome Supersaiyanmax !
Have you foraged for p. weraroa in the past ?
All it takes is one wild fruit to get ya started, by cloning or a sporeprint, on growing your own fruits.
Good luck and keep us all posted .
-Musher

#2386 smcconaghy

smcconaghy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:03 PM

Hello everyone, I am have been kinda lurking on and off for quite some time so I thought I would finally say Hi. I have taken up gardening for a variety of health reasons and it's time I actually reach out to become more educated instead of waiting for someone else to ask. Hahahah.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#2387 Stametsistheman

Stametsistheman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:08 PM

Hello. Just wrote a huge intro but it hasn't worked, i'm trying this message before i write another...

#2388 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,854 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:31 PM

I don't see another one that needs approving, usually having to wait for us on your first post folks think it didn't work. Can't tell ya what happened here.

6hhzl59.png

• Billcoz likes this

#2389 burro

burro

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:25 AM

just new guy sayin hello

#2390 8spider8

8spider8

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:51 AM

Hi. Just a newbie. Been lurking for a few months now and reading up. Finally created an account. Lots of great info here!

#2391 Stametsistheman

Stametsistheman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:51 PM

Hello everyone, i'm very glad to be here. Just signing up is giving me a boost in optimism. 

I'm having troubles pinning big time, even using different fruiting methods and different strains. 

The only thing i can think of that i haven't done by the book is how much culture i inject. I used all of a 12 ml Syringe per a 500ml jar... Colinization took a couple of months and after about two months in the fruiting chamber 3 cakes have produced literally zero. I have dunked/rolled and redunck..... Also tried a pf tek improved method which is simply keep the colonised cake inside the jar, but covering the sides so that only the top of the cakes gets sunlight and still nothing. The strain is 'Mexican Dutch King' which is a Cubensis.   My Fc is made exactly in accordance with Dr Mandrakes book, small holes drilled every two inches in all direction over all for sides, top and bottom. 6 inches of hydrated perlite, misting at least 3 times per day.... Im about to dedicate my evening to reading through another book as well as Paul stamets book on growing medicinal mushrooms... 

I have had no contamination at all so it think i must be doing something simply wrong as avoiding contamination seems to be the only tricky part...

Any thought/advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance...

#2392 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,407 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:26 PM

12cc per 500 ml jar is way too much solution. 

You can get away with adding one or two cc's  per 500 ml jar. 

Are you sure you're working with fungal mycelium? 

Pics may help if you can manage. 

#2393 smcconaghy

smcconaghy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:25 PM

Yes I agree! There is a wealth of knowledge on this site! I could not have dont it without this place. I have been other places, however, this site is by far, a better source of information. Thanks guys for the help unknowingly! Lol

#2394 smcconaghy

smcconaghy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:29 PM

Hello everyone, i'm very glad to be here. Just signing up is giving me a boost in optimism.

I'm having troubles pinning big time, even using different fruiting methods and different strains.

The only thing i can think of that i haven't done by the book is how much culture i inject. I used all of a 12 ml Syringe per a 500ml jar... Colinization took a couple of months and after about two months in the fruiting chamber 3 cakes have produced literally zero. I have dunked/rolled and redunck..... Also tried a pf tek improved method which is simply keep the colonised cake inside the jar, but covering the sides so that only the top of the cakes gets sunlight and still nothing. The strain is 'Mexican Dutch King' which is a Cubensis. My Fc is made exactly in accordance with Dr Mandrakes book, small holes drilled every two inches in all direction over all for sides, top and bottom. 6 inches of hydrated perlite, misting at least 3 times per day.... Im about to dedicate my evening to reading through another book as well as Paul stamets book on growing medicinal mushrooms...

I have had no contamination at all so it think i must be doing something simply wrong as avoiding contamination seems to be the only tricky part...

How long have they been under fruiting conditions?

#2395 deepblueseawhale

deepblueseawhale

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:30 AM

HI guys. Great place you have here! I'm a newbie grower, looking for a indoor hobby to get me through the long cold winter. I also love mushrooms and can wait to grow some of my own, especially some of the more exotic tropic varieties.

#2396 Turtlegirl

Turtlegirl

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:54 AM

High everyone.  I'm very new to all of this.  I'm "older" and within the last year tried mushrooms for the first time.  I was somewhat disappointed but then realized I had done some things "wrong".  I've decided to grow for myself because I have been reading all the benefits these beautiful fungi can have for people.  My first burning question is this:  do the stems have any magic powers or is everything important in the caps?

#2397 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,854 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

Welcome, Turtlegirl.

I bet you would be surprised at the average age of the majority of the community here. Any way Yes, the stems have plenty of magic and actually are much denser than caps. More meat to the stems and in my opinion I would prefer stems over caps.

Edited by coorsmikey, 18 January 2019 - 12:07 PM.

#2398 Cheehai

Cheehai

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:23 PM

Howdy doody Mycotopians.

I’m here to soak in the wealth of knowledge from the community. I’m here to improve my mycology/microbiology skills. I’ve been growing for almost a year. Started out using plastic totes as terrariums, and moved to a 4x8 hydroponics tents. Got my first successful crop the other week; growing on straw. Currently I’m preserving: shitake, black, white, pink, gray, king oysters, lions mane, and pioppini.

A man’s got to eat. I’m an out of work chemist; I don’t want to continue in the industry because the environment is emotionally abusive and there’s no place for “free-spirits”. I take an interest in the herbs of traditional Chinese medicine. I want to grow mushrooms, herbs, and vegetables for sale. Then I want to use the income to start a phytochemical company. Also starting to apprentice as an electrician/programmer.

I live in Toronto Canada. Just want to be a freeman.

Have a beautiful day.

Cheehai

#2399 Stametsistheman

Stametsistheman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:55 AM

The only thing i can think of that i haven't done by the book is how much culture i inject. I used all of a 12 ml Syringe per a 500ml jar... Colinization took a couple of months and after about two months in the fruiting chamber 3 cakes have produced literally zero. I have dunked/rolled and redunck..... Also tried a pf tek improved method which is simply keep the colonised cake inside the jar, but covering the sides so that only the top of the cakes gets sunlight and still nothing. The strain is 'Mexican Dutch King' which is a Cubensis. My Fc is made exactly in accordance with Dr Mandrakes book, small holes drilled every two inches in all direction over all for sides, top and bottom. 6 inches of hydrated perlite, misting at least 3 times per day.... Im about to dedicate my evening to reading through another book as well as Paul stamets book on growing medicinal mushrooms...

How long have they been under fruiting conditions?

About two months, they still smell sweet and i notice this morning mycelium is growing (very slowly) through the casing.  Any thoughts welcome Thanks

#2400 Stametsistheman

Stametsistheman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:01 AM

12cc per 500 ml jar is way too much solution. 

You can get away with adding one or two cc's  per 500 ml jar. 

Are you sure you're working with fungal mycelium? 

Pics may help if you can manage. 

Interesting, i don't yet know enough. I made my own culture jars with 4% honey 96% water, pressure cooked it for 15 mins. Injected it with 'mexican dutch king' which is cubensis. Within a few days a little snow dome shape of see-through whitish stuff which i assumed was mycelium started to grow, carried on growing until about 30% of the fluid was taken up and it was then i syringed some out and injected my cakes. The cakes appear to be completely taken over and i just assumed everything had gone well, just waiting for pinning.... Hmm i think i'll have to show you guys picture, i appreciate its difficult to help others without seeing things.. Thanks

Edited by Stametsistheman, 19 January 2019 - 06:06 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!