• Please log in to reply
2762 replies to this topic

#2661 justinianIIII

justinianIIII

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:26 AM

Dude! Great log! Please consider posting this as a thread in one of the "Here We Grow" forums! You are well ahead of where I was when I started this journey 4 years ago. Hope to see you around here more often.

Thanks! I will definitely post in the grow forum, and you will see me around more often. This site is a godsend. Cheers!

#2662 justinianIIII

justinianIIII

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:40 AM

Hi,

Newbie here looking for some advice in identifying what looks like some rather dubious mould. Should I throw these cakes out?

That does look dubious. I'm new here as well, so take it for what it's worth. This is more gut than knowledge. If I had a few other containers going, I would probably eliminate that one. It's not worth the risk.

#2663 FesterAddams

FesterAddams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:03 AM

Does anyone know of a log/journal template document or spreadsheet? How about a decent iPhone app?

So far, my searches have not revealed what I had hoped for. 

#2664 Psyhroomz

Psyhroomz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:14 AM

Hey guys, I guess you could say that I'm a newb to the site in terms of posting but I have been scouring it before I had started my first grow. I have have a successful wbs- coir ,verm, gypsum(I know it's against the rules starting with bulk but I went for it and had great luck:)) turned 3 half pint Brf cakes into a larger flat cake that is in my sgfc right now about to pin it's looking, and have a bunch more colonizing grain jars as well as Brf cakes right now, many pictures to follow... Should have uploaded as I went I know, I kinda decided to try to mainly pay attention to exactly what I was doing to every step so as to try to eliminate any possible screw ups that could have been avoided if paying full attention. Unfortunately this came with totally forgetting to take pictures of certain steps which may or may not have been due to being incredibly stoned throughout each session hahaha,that's my bad

#2665 Psyhroomz

Psyhroomz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:39 AM

I also forgot to mention that I've had 2/3 live cuotues I've made be successful for me and the third didn't because the filter I had made on the jar let go in the PC because I hadn't put enough high temp glue to hold it on so it let go unfortunately, but great success otherwise, except for getting completely bunk syringes from a supplier (not supposed to mention names???)

#2666 Xander

Xander

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:51 AM

Newly posting member.  I have lurked for a long time gleaning knowledge from many of you.  Thank you for the free sharing of a huge volume of knowledge.  I have been growing off and on for a few years.  Mostly just for fun as time allows.  I am wanting to gear up so I need to refine my grow.  

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#2667 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:14 AM

Welcome Xander. Glad you've signed-up. 

#2668 Mushinist

Mushinist

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 144 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:29 AM

Hello and welcome to topia Xander!

#2669 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:46 PM

Does anyone know of a log/journal template document or spreadsheet? How about a decent iPhone app?

So far, my searches have not revealed what I had hoped for. 

I've had the same thoughts, it would be nice to have a template for a proper log, mine seem to get sidetracked on details and I end up writing way too much, especially working with agar, it's a lot to keep track of.

I also forgot to mention that I've had 2/3 live cuotues I've made be successful for me and the third didn't because the filter I had made on the jar let go in the PC because I hadn't put enough high temp glue to hold it on so it let go unfortunately, but great success otherwise, except for getting completely bunk syringes from a supplier (not supposed to mention names???)

There is a thread(link) where you can name the vendor and vote on the ones you like most, but be sure that the syringes were the prob if you are going to mention the vendor.

#2670 duncancm

duncancm

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 08:54 AM

Greetings everyone. new here. lurked for a long time. Would like to thank this forum for all the information it has provided.

• Billcoz likes this

#2671 GaetanoZ

GaetanoZ

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:38 AM

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Been interested in fungi all my life, the past couple years however I have started seriously studying them. I'm into pretty much anything to do with Mycology, especially Basidiomycetes and Ascomycetes. I look forward to meeting more like-minded people here.

-Gaetano
  • SteampunkScientist and Billcoz like this

#2672 viper47

viper47

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:26 PM

hello everyone, been doing lots of reading on this site for some months and finally gaining some knowledge from the amazing people on this site and having moderate success from some of the teks,i have some pics of my azure tub to show and my cyan tub which i thing are doing well and about ready for the outside plot. i am guessing i will have to wait until im off restriction before i can post a pic. i am happy to have found this site

• Billcoz likes this

#2673 FesterAddams

FesterAddams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 03:15 AM

My very first try was on the 17th and failed to start. I tried again on the 22nd and that jar grew cobweb and STANK!
Today, I tried two different methods: PF Tek in one and agar in the other. The PF tek jar has 1cc total of cube spores in three spots below the verm. layer. My agar did not solidify but is quite thick. No measuring, just a dash of this and pinch of that. So... I thought I’d try and make a LC out of it. I dropped in a small swab with P. Semi. spores from a print.

I threw out the BRF with cobweb mold but I’m holding out a little longer for my first pair of jars. Almost two weeks and no signs of anything growing. One is cubes from a syringe and the other from the print. I know the dry spores will take some time but the syringe?...
Surely something will take! I really would like a flush this summer of something. Hopefully, the Lib Caps will have enough so I can make a new print or two. What characteristics should I look for in a good cap that is likely to drop spores. I’ll not pick those so they can open.
  • Billcoz likes this

#2674 zooraw

zooraw

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:40 PM

Hi all,

I am a n00b and am just getting started. I have successfully grown two 16 ounce jars of mycelium out of 8... :biggrin: Better some then none. They are growing on rye grain. I will use the 2 successful spawns to create 12 more 16 ounce spawns. Wish me luck.

I am pretty sure my failed spawns are due to the spore print I was using. They where old, on paper and I was impatient and when I got them they where not handled with care. Plus i just ripped them up and put them in the jars.  :tongue: Anyways i will do better next time.  

On a side note, mold is pretty cool looking.

Regards, 

• Billcoz likes this

#2675 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 09:52 PM

My very first try was on the 17th and failed to start. I tried again on the 22nd and that jar grew cobweb and STANK!
Today, I tried two different methods: PF Tek in one and agar in the other. The PF tek jar has 1cc total of cube spores in three spots below the verm. layer. My agar did not solidify but is quite thick. No measuring, just a dash of this and pinch of that. So... I thought I’d try and make a LC out of it. I dropped in a small swab with P. Semi. spores from a print.

I threw out the BRF with cobweb mold but I’m holding out a little longer for my first pair of jars. Almost two weeks and no signs of anything growing. One is cubes from a syringe and the other from the print. I know the dry spores will take some time but the syringe?...
Surely something will take! I really would like a flush this summer of something. Hopefully, the Lib Caps will have enough so I can make a new print or two. What characteristics should I look for in a good cap that is likely to drop spores. I’ll not pick those so they can open.

You really have to follow a proper recipe for agar because it needs to solidify properly since the main reason to use agar is that the myc will grow on the agar surface in a flat, 2 D "disc" because the agar is solid. If it's not solidified the spores will fall down under the surface making it impossible to see contams. That is the main reason we use agar, to see the contams so we can transfer any clean areas of myc away to a new clean agar plate. Here's some links for great agar recipes, "fastfred's cookbook", here is "Peacefrog's agar style and recipe"

here's a link for a great recipe book pdf download I got from a post from coorsMikey.

Here is my own write up for my method/tek and recipe, which is probably the easiest and least likely method to contam on you because it is a "no-pour" method, skipping the step of pouring after sterilization, cutting down the risk of picking up a contam from the air while pouring, which has to be done in front of a flow hood or at least in a still air box. I would definitely recommend the "no-pour" tek for any first timer, assuming you are, maybe your not, it's a great method either way. Good luck!

Edited by Billcoz, 28 April 2019 - 09:52 PM.

#2676 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:09 PM

Hello; im new to mycotopia. I have been growing for 3 years now and lately ive been focusing on cordyceps militaris. Im working with genetics from mycosymbiotics. I recently made the "Rice Tank TEK" with rye berries and hope to see some fruits in few months. Also have been working with some genetics given to me by cabin creations (Reishi amd E4k). I am glad to start posting in this forums and hope to share information with people and learn more about all of thi.
I was born and raised in Peru so my english might have grammar issues sorry ahead of time.
  • Ripples, Billcoz and Advocate4TheMT like this

#2677 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:35 AM

Hello and welcome!

I was born and raised in Peru so my english might have grammar issues sorry ahead of time.

If you hadn't mentioned it I don't think anyone would have noticed anyway, your writing seems of a good standard IMO :)

(There are plenty of people who's first language is English that have atrocious spelling and grammar - especially online it seems.)

Edited by Cuboid, 06 May 2019 - 04:37 AM.

• SteampunkScientist, Billcoz and DrepsiLocybe like this

#2678 doingthetimewarp

doingthetimewarp

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:33 PM

Hello everyone! I have been lurking on here for a while. I haven't yet successfully fruited anything. I tried the grain bag method and it colonized beautifully and I should have just let it fruit in there but since I live in one of the most humid cities in the US I thought I could spread it out in a large bin outside and cover it. Well that stopped all progress. I'm thinking I didn't keep it moist enough. I did read here on another discussion about someone able to revive stunted shrooms so I'm going to try and see if I can do that now that it's getting warm again here.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
  • Advocate4TheMT likes this

#2679 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:44 PM

Welcome dtw ! 

Is your spawn dead?

Or can you add some substrate like moist cow or horse manure?

I'm not sure I track what happened. Going outdoors is a great idea. Just don't cover your cultures with plastics and stuff - especially if you have high humidity. 

You'll need temps in the 70*F range or above for fruiting. 

• doingthetimewarp likes this

#2680 Rdh

Rdh

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:57 PM

I'm RD, long time lurker looking for some community knowledge in my new hobby, I'm gobsmacked at how much pure knowledge is here.
  • Advocate4TheMT likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!