• Please log in to reply
2751 replies to this topic

#2701 PapaSpliff

PapaSpliff

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:04 AM

Welcome PapaSpliff!I have a grow kit with B+ on the way to begin my journey. I've heard they're easy to grow and quite resistant to contamination so great for me as a beginner.Would love to know what insights you glean on your various trips with both B+ and Golden Teacher.Warmest RegardsAmbient74

B+ is a great strain to start with. My best advice is if you show them the love they need they will reciprocate mutually. Here’s a pic of my last B+ 

• Billcoz likes this

#2702 AlteredEgo

AlteredEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:21 AM

We built custom sailboats in Plant City ,Florida about 5 miles out of town in a 5,000 sq ft building in the country....mushrooms were popping all around and it was nothing to hop the fence and go walking...1973-79...we looked like long haired hippies but were hard core capitalists , I think only one guy was over 20 and he was a carpenter  that lived in his camper on the property M-F then went to State parks on the weekends. We built cutting edge ocean racing sailboats that raced all over the world...would love to post some pics.....I am just blabbing burning probationary posts  :-)

• Alder Logs and Advocate4TheMT like this

#2703 AlteredEgo

AlteredEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:05 AM

I'll be meeting with my VA shrink on Thursday VN PTSD..going to ask if psilocybin therapy is available..just to see what she says..I have heard it is used in some studies ,not sure if the VA uses it....anyone know ?

• Billcoz and doingthetimewarp like this

#2704 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,069 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:37 PM

I'll be meeting with my VA shrink on Thursday VN PTSD..going to ask if psilocybin therapy is available..just to see what she says..I have heard it is used in some studies ,not sure if the VA uses it....anyone know ?

I am in the VA system from a war deep in the last century.  I am in a state that has had medical marijuana for a long time, and the VA here won't touch that.

Welcome aboard, AE.

• Billcoz and AlteredEgo like this

#2705 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,069 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:45 PM

We built custom sailboats in Plant City ,Florida about 5 miles out of town in a 5,000 sq ft building in the country....mushrooms were popping all around and it was nothing to hop the fence and go walking...1973-79...we looked like long haired hippies but were hard core capitalists , I think only one guy was over 20 and he was a carpenter  that lived in his camper on the property M-F then went to State parks on the weekends. We built cutting edge ocean racing sailboats that raced all over the world...would love to post some pics.....I am just blabbing burning probationary posts  :-)

My uncle who worked building boats in So.Cal. (Costa Mesa) for years, traveled to the Bahamas to build the Windward Passage.   He felt he had built that boat, but got no credit at all.  He became embittered and never built another boat.  Years later I had a good friend who had another good friend who lived on that boat and sailed it for the owners after it had been retired from the racing game.  I thought of that as a small world kind of thing.

• AlteredEgo likes this

#2706 AlteredEgo

AlteredEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

My uncle who worked building boats in So.Cal. (Costa Mesa) for years, traveled to the Bahamas to build the Windward Passage.   He felt he had built that boat, but got no credit at all.  He became embittered and never built another boat.  Years later I had a good friend who had another good friend who lived on that boat and sailed it for the owners after it had been retired from the racing game.  I thought of that as a small world kind of thing.

OMG....I dropped out of JC 4th semester1969 to go on the Miami ~Jamaica race on a 30' I helped build and ocean raced on. I was going to school for ALL the wrong reasons,both parents had college ed's, I was the 1st son, the war in VN and the draft waiting for those exposed. So I was 20 years old in Jamaica and Windward Passage was looking for delivery crew to help sail her to San Diego and then LA for the LA~ Hawaii Race....I threw my seabag on deck and my life started. It was an amazing journey on many levels. A few months later Bob Johnson owner of WP flew me out to Hawaii to help sail her back to Cali...Sorry to learn of your uncles sad association with what is still a beloved ocean racer...I have some construction photos of WP in Freeport,Bahamas where it was built on the beach. I sailed 8,000 miles on Windward Passage that year...I did pay for that adventure with another one in VN. If you have heard of another ocean racer called IMP out of SF...I built that. 

Edited by AlteredEgo, 13 May 2019 - 06:17 PM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#2707 0za

0za

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:17 AM

If you're a new member, Welcome to Mycotopia.  There is a wealth of knowledge here, and a lot of people with experience that you can draw from.   The best way to tap into this knowledge is to say hello, and start to meet fellow mycoites.

#2708 AlteredEgo

AlteredEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:40 AM

Alder....after arriving in San Diego the "builder" of WP met us and I was introduced...he had or went by an unusual name..."Chappy" or something like that..wonder if that was your uncle....WP on the beach

https://www.sailings...-making-legend/

Attached Thumbnails

• WP.jpg
  • Centoes.jpg

Edited by AlteredEgo, 14 May 2019 - 12:01 PM.

#2709 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,069 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:58 PM

My uncle lived in Huntington Beach, and earlier in Newport, where his haunt was the Snug Harbor bar, where the Newport Yacht and Balloon Club held their meetings (the club was an inside joke for the po folk, and they never got their first balloon).  I wish the photos of the people were better.  In this pic, the guy in the white T-shirt sitting facing aft looks like it could be him.   After his time there, he hated "limeys." It was because he got jumped by a bunch of Englishmen (while out drinking, no doubt).  He loved blacks, because of the two black policemen he says saved his life, even though an errant billy club blow messed up his shoulder in the scuffle.  I just know what he told me, and it must have been quite the pain to make him give up his trade.   Later he worked on trying to build test models of my early theoretical flying saucer drives.   He was my favorite uncle and we were each, the respective black sheeps of our families.

WP gang.png

Edited by Alder Logs, 14 May 2019 - 01:20 PM.

• AlteredEgo likes this

#2710 DLL

DLL

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

Hello Everybody, so I registered on here because I had a few questions about my ecosphere! I want to start monotubbing soon too but one step at a time!

I'm a plant science student and I just began my first grow using 5-tier ecosphere. I'm experimenting with jars and sub bags. 

I have tons of questions. 

I don't really know how forums like this work!

So, I guess I'll just attach a photo of one jar that I'm super concerned with because it looks weird. All of my other jars are looking great and "normal" when I compare them to photos online or the jar photos in the Psilocybin Mushroom Bible book!

This jar is a PE #6 jar, it looks like it may be forming some kind of mold but I could be wrong. This jar in particular does not show the mycelium growth like my other ones. 

If any of you could please kindly share any of your knowledge and let me know what you think is going on with this jar, I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Thank you so much! <3

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8388.jpg

• SteampunkScientist and Billcoz like this

#2711 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,958 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:32 PM

Welcome DLL! Yeah that jar looks funky, It does appear to have something other than PE growing in there. I cant even tell if there is good mycelium or not. But it does appear that you have some black pin mold growing unless maybe you started with ET's bluemoon spore solution? Do you have any pics to share or the jars that aren't suspect?

• Billcoz likes this

#2712 Grease65

Grease65

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:53 PM

Hello all. Just getting started with this hobby and am looking forward to learning a lot from all of you.
  • SteampunkScientist and Billcoz like this

#2713 viavico4

viavico4

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:18 PM

hi, Just checking in to say I'm with you & waiting to figure out when, where and how I'll start growing. In looking over some other general thread posts, I read a member's account of taking what sounded like a ton of LSD without much effect, or the effect they were looking for.

I haven't taken acid since the early 70's when I could be sure it was absolutely real. The effects were very transformational and quite strong on a reasonable dose of one tab, so when I read the post, it didn't sound like the real deal, but whatta I know. I'd love to find real LSD again, but is it true that good lsd-25 just doesn't exist out there? I've read that bunk acid can also pass an erlich test since some 'research drugs' are a very similar structure (but sound kinda scary). True ? what do you think, worth the search? Everyone I know from back in the day have lost all connections, even though some are interested in tracking down some orange sunshine. Dreamin-Viavico4

#2714 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 5,958 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:34 PM

Welcome! Lucy is still around, the distribution network is not as strong as it was. Its laid much lighter and is more expensive than what use to be the norm. It is around though. 

• Billcoz likes this

#2715 Gatt

Gatt

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

Hello everyone! I'm so glad to be here. I don't know a thing about mushrooms other than I enjoy ordering them at many restaurants. I saw a Joe Rogan podcast with Paul Stamets a few weeks ago and found myself completely in awe on the topic of mushrooms. I think I have watched or listened to it a half dozen times. I was fascinated with the history and what seemed to be an abundant amount of evidence as it relates to medicinal properties. I started watching many videos on growing mushrooms and thought before I get into it i'd get involved in a forum to try and learn more about it. Not sure where to start.  Do I start with a simple grow kit? What type or types should I start with? Anyway, thanks for putting up with a newbie and I look forward to making some new friends and learning all I can.

• Billcoz and AlteredEgo like this

#2716 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,485 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:21 PM

Welcome Gatt. Nothing wrong with trying one of the commercial kits available in order to get your feet wet. 

Where you go from there depends upon your budget and how much space you're willing to commit to the hobby. 

#2717 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:07 PM

Hello everyone! I'm so glad to be here. I don't know a thing about mushrooms other than I enjoy ordering them at many restaurants. I saw a Joe Rogan podcast with Paul Stamets a few weeks ago and found myself completely in awe on the topic of mushrooms. I think I have watched or listened to it a half dozen times. I was fascinated with the history and what seemed to be an abundant amount of evidence as it relates to medicinal properties. I started watching many videos on growing mushrooms and thought before I get into it i'd get involved in a forum to try and learn more about it. Not sure where to start.  Do I start with a simple grow kit? What type or types should I start with? Anyway, thanks for putting up with a newbie and I look forward to making some new friends and learning all I can.

Most people here will recommend making your own BRF/PF jars than buying a growkit with presterilized jars or bags.

The best method if you want some guaranteed mushrooms, and the cheapest is to order a spore syringe(see "vendors" thread) and use 1/2 pint widemouth mason jars with brown rice flower and vermiculite substrate. A pressure cooker is not required for PF tek. 

Here is a really good vid showing the whole method(link). The guy talks a lot but he's got good info, and shows the most fool proof way to get some shrooms. I

f you do not care about price, or  learning the process and just want one flush to get a small stash you could do okay with a growkit, but sometimes they fail, they can be too dry because the companies make large batches of substrate bags/jars that sit on a shelf, sometimes for months. Your bag/jars will be colonizing and then stall from lack of moisture. 

Which ever you end up doing, welcome & good luck!

Edited by Billcoz, 15 May 2019 - 10:09 PM.

• joeya likes this

#2718 Ambient74

Ambient74

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:12 AM

Welcome Gatt,

Delighted to have you join us and that you are a Joe Rogan listener, like myself!

I agree with you about the Paul Stamets interview, which was amazing, insightful and definitely left a lasting affect on me. In fact, Mr. Stamets talking about mushrooms (and Duncan Trussell) has probably led me to purchasing my first grow kit of B+ with the intention of micro-dosing and perhaps the occasional heroic dose.. now that we are talking about that JRE episode I will definitely re-listen this weekend whilst gardening :)

Again, welcome and all the best.

Edited by Ambient74, 16 May 2019 - 12:12 AM.

#2719 AlteredEgo

AlteredEgo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:50 AM

Welcome Gatt,

Delighted to have you join us and that you are a Joe Rogan listener, like myself!

I agree with you about the Paul Stamets interview, which was amazing, insightful and definitely left a lasting affect on me. In fact, Mr. Stamets talking about mushrooms (and Duncan Trussell) has probably led me to purchasing my first grow kit of B+ with the intention of micro-dosing and perhaps the occasional heroic dose.. now that we are talking about that JRE episode I will definitely re-listen this weekend whilst gardening :)

Again, welcome and all the best.

a old friend I have not seen in 40 years turned me on to a Paul Stamets video....he has never done  psilocybin but I have in the 70's, hunted and picked my own. I have scouted out 2 great fields but have determined the only safe way is to get dropped off and picked up...even then there is always the risk of being caught and finding myself in a 2019 strict legal bureaucracy ....sucks because it used to be so simple before so many people moved into Florida...growing seems like such a hassle...all this has been rekindled in the past 10 days 

#2720 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

Gatt, one thing I forgot to mention about growkits, if you are in the US you can't(legally) buy a mycelium growkit, as the mycelium is considered a sched 1 drug since it contains psilocybin/psilocin, but the spores are 100% legal to purchase in the US(for "microscopy" purposes), but in the Netherlands and some other places you can legally buy live culture/myc products, like myc growkits.

Edited by Billcoz, 16 May 2019 - 02:41 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!