State of The Union - Mycotopia Edition
I would like to start off with an illustration. It's an important thing to note as it's *obvious* hiding in plain site, yet is often obscured by the trumpeting of our successes. The *obvious* is the hard work and dedication, and often failure, that goes into any endeavor worthy of our time and talents. It's called The Iceberg Illusion.
It's by @SylviaDuckworth
Mycotopia is no different. We have our ups and our downs just like everything else, and those ebbs and flows should be considered periods of change and growth; but for those involved it often means sacrifice, disappointment, and feelings of failure. Those of us that have stuck around have demonstrated persistence and dedication, and have put in the hard work to continue our growth.
These folks need to be called out. They need a round of applause. They need positive vibes and encouragement to stay the course. We are all human, all of us, and let me be the one to say that a lot of people volunteer and dedicate a lot of their time to this family, to this house. They deserve your appreciation for pulling us up by the bootstraps and carrying on. I for one, am grateful. I'm sure Hip3 would be as well.
AGAMA, MLBjammer, Myc, MycoDani, roc, Skywatcher, dead head jed,
kcmoxtractor, riseabovethought, Sidestreet
Now is just as good a time to also call out all the new folks that have joined in this quest. So far all of them have been invaluable in how quickly they picked up the torch and started running. They have and continue to make significant progress in their various ways and I'm humbled that they have chosen to be a part of the Mycotopia family.
Ares, Bombadil, coorsmikey, PsyBearknot, Wharfrat, sillyrabbitcubiesR4us (coming soon!)
The Mycotopia Growth Curve
Going back 9-months puts us somewhere between August and September 2015. I would like to leave the past where it lies, but let's say some ebb was coming to shore and crashing against our flows. We were mixed up. We didn't know which way was up. We were short on cash, traffic, and weren't sure we would survive another month. Dark days indeed.
While not much movement was occurring in the public space, let it be known that some serious discussions were being had behind the scenes with all involved. Heated discussions. There were some splintering and fracturing that occurred, but what emerged is the very team that has made such a tremendous difference in every aspect of this community. To come from near death to a thriving community in only 9-months is amazing, and we're thankful each of our members chose to stick it out with us.
So before we get to the trumpeting of our successes; here's to the last 9-months, and to the next 9-months and beyond! Salute!
1) Our active sessions, when compared to the previous year, show a marked improvement overall:
2) Our active sessions are up 22% over the same period in the prior year
3) Mobile device sessions are up a bump over 45% and climbing!
4) In the last 6-months we have had 60+ new member registrations from Tapatalk and the activity there is growing by leaps and bounds
5) In the last 6-months we have had 651 new member registrations on the site directly
Positive community development is about more than graphs, charts, and number though. It's about the people. The commitments. The values that we project through our actions, and ultimately how you feel as a human while you're here. There are all mostly unmeasurable statistics that are not so easily captured in a chart or a graph.
A short list of some of our outward accomplishments as we have taken on this responsibility:
- Operational Transparency
- Declaration of Contribution
- Bi-Weekly Staff Meetings
- Uptime and Performance Monitoring for MycoServices
- Creation of an Honorary Former Staff Usergroup
- New Mods, App Admins, and Site Admins
- Advertising/Banners System
- Infraction System
- Applications System
- 100's of Repaired Links
- Repaired Broken BBCode and Media Filters
- New Forum Additions (Religion, Politics, Spirituality, Urban Gardening, and Cloud Corner)
- The MycoChat System
- New VIP Memberships
- The Picture of the Month (POTM) Updated
- Site Etiquette Updated
- New Member Welcome System
- SPAM Vetting System (Welcome Forum, Moderated Posts, etc)
- Awards System
- Monthly Raffles System Updated
- Gallery Banner/Random Gallery on Main Forum Page
- Old Discus Archives Updated and Online
- Vault Organization and Updates
- Several Software Updates and Patching
- Single-Sign-On for Staff Applications
- Many Forums Cleaned up and Condensed
- Mycotopia Training Program Started (for staff)
- Condensing Forums to Greater Like Communities
- Navigation Updates
- Many many more things behind the scenes
Some things we have to look forward to over the next few months is a complete re-architecting of our computing and storage infrastructure and a major update to the latest platform version. These will both have immediate and visual impact to our community and I look forward to completing these projects before summer is over, and just in time for the fall migration of our people.
Further down the line you can look forward to more robust and integrated services across the board as we utilize the latest technology available to spread peace and knowledge to the world. We welcome you all on this journey and hope you too will take a piece of this site and nurture it, grow it, and transform it into something altogether new and wonderful.
We are here to preserve the legacy of Hippie3 and to build a solid and reliable platform from which a wellspring of knowledge and individual experience will thrive through community. Together we have accomplished much in a short time, and as a community we will face the future with open arms and welcome the unknown.
Thank you all for being a part of this awesome experience.