#21 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

Nice pics Needles, ever tried to dry the shiitakes for long term storage?
I looked into the growing parameters of shiitake and others and I might be able to use my basement for cooler temps or a thermoelectric coleman cooler, to get the temps I need.
Months ago I bought another peltier plate to play with and if I need to I can easly make a big tub into a cooler or warmer if need be.
Been running my PC every day and got some to PC today, I need to make some back ups in petris and master slants in test tubes.
   peace and safety

I have dried shiitake but find it better fresh. We would cook and eat what we could and then shared the rest with friends. If you end up with an abundance of mushrooms I find it best to not over do it so not to get burned out on them as we did with oyster mushrooms in the past.
No basement at my house now but had one in the mid west. It would be perfect for some of you cooler weather wood loving edibles, even in the summer.
  • Heirloom likes this

#22 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

I have a question ,living in the Midwest we get some harsh winters how cold is to cold for shiitake logs?
We get down to -10F and even -20F. I suspect that is to cold. Wondering if I started some shiitake logs if
I will need to move them into my basement for the winter?

I am planning in advance , I know they need watered so in a basement I will need to set them over a kidde pool to collect run of and use a shop vac to remove runoff or what leave it to raise the humidity?

Thanks for taking time to help.

#23 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:28 PM

My logs froze down to -18 on the coldest night last year and about the same the year before. This spring was the second year for my red oak logs and it didn't seem to hurt them. They were also snow covered for a couple months too. This was a weird year for weather. It was warm and raining when it should have been cold and snowy. At one point my logs started pinning and then the pins froze only to recover and grow out when the temperature came back up. The fruits were deformed and cracked but still alive and growing.
Once you get your logs going, try some in and out. Keep in mind the outdoor logs will be loaded with living organisms, mites and other larvae you may not even be able to see. I would keep them away from any other projects you may have going.
  • Heirloom likes this

#24 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

Thanks Needles, I saw an idea that layed down straw on the ground as insulation . stacked the logs like a log cabin no taller than 3 feet  I think. Then put straw on three sides ,east ,north and west . This was facing south the straw structure is covered with plastic forming a cold frame or small greenhouse.

I saw some Amish do this as a place for a calf and for colts, so they could survive cold nights. only they made it with a piece of wood on top to hold the top bales, making a straw building.

• Needles likes this

#25 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:10 AM

I had to work away this past weekend but before we left I snapped a couple photos these were taken Friday morningimage.jpeg image.jpeg it didn't take long for those pins to take off. I did harvest the larger shiitake and gave it to a friend along with the bruschetta recipe. I just took these photos this morning image.jpeg image.jpeg
  • Heirloom likes this

#26 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:16 AM

Nice pics Needles , I can hardly wait to show pics of mushrooms  instead of mycelium.

• Needles likes this

#27 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:23 AM

Nice pics Needles , I can hardly wait to show pics of mushrooms  instead of mycelium.

Thanks Heirloom, I don't think it will be much longer for you and the bags you have been working on will be popping up nice tastie mushrooms. were looking forward to seeing your progress.....

#28 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:07 AM

A few pics of new mycelium I recently got from a generous member.

A Liquid culture in glass

A petri of King S.

Attached Thumbnails

• KING S- Blue oyster culture 001.JPG

• Needles likes this

#29 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

My computer fan has gone out , I need to get a new one before I post much more. Don't want to fry the circuits.

back as fast as I can find a replacement and self install.

safety and peace

• Juthro likes this

#30 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:29 PM

Hey Heirloom, hope you got your system back up and running, computers can be such a pain sometimes.
Has anybody been growing any medicinals? I've been messing with a lions mane broth, it's a blended agar culture and added to malt with a few extras mixed in then set on a magnetic stirrer for a few days.image.jpeg
I tried two different blends and went with smaller batches before going to jars of grain. Here's a close up of the growth after three days with the stirrer on slow. image.jpeg
  • Heirloom likes this

#31 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:06 PM

I got get a new fan , my old fan started working again at least temp.

Heres a small lions mane that grew up into my verm barrier and just popped out . This is my first lions mane try so my grows should improve.

Needles hows your cultures coming along?

Attached Thumbnails

• little lions mane 001.JPG

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 13 June 2016 - 10:09 PM.

• Needles likes this

#32 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:01 PM

I got get a new fan , my old fan started working again at least temp.
Heres a small lions mane that grew up into my verm barrier and just popped out . This is my first lions mane try so my grows should improve.
Needles hows your cultures coming along?

my cultures have been doing well. My lions mane spawn is ready to go into bags of sawdust. I should have three different Hypsizigus strains ready for this fall too. I'm not saying to much now but have a edible dung lover in the works.
How about you? Any luck with that King oyster.

#33 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:01 PM

They are ok so far, been very hot here even in my basement, but I had two windows broke out that I need to replace. kids with a BB gun hit one  and a rock threw another.

I got so many jars of grain growing I am running out of room. I forgot to label 4 jars and am trying to figure out what they are.

#34 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:41 AM

I figured out that the 4 unlabeled jars are Reishi, I left them in my SAB  so I know they are Reishi  that I nocced  from agar.
I am going to prepare sawdust  and get these going. My sterile tek must be improving only got 1 contaminated jar out of 10.

I recently got some spawn bags with a filter patch and will use them. I got about a 5 gallon bucket of oak sawdust, I am trying to determine how much sawdust to use to each  quart of grain spawn.

I wonder if its feasible to grow Reishi in large tubs like a bulk cube grow or should I grow them in the bags? Should I case them with potting soil , I read an old thread by Space Cowboy and he used a casing.

I said its hot in my house it must be me I got central air and though it got 94F today inside I was @ 72F and a little cooler in the basement.

#35 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:50 PM

Ok , I am using oak sawdust treated with hot water and mix the grain  into the cooled sawdust.

Prior experience with other species guides me.

pics when I see primordia.

peace

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 17 June 2016 - 12:53 PM.

#36 truMushrooms

truMushrooms

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:06 PM

are you supplementing with anything? 

from what I've researched supplementing with wheat bran, soybean hulls, cottonseed meal, alfalfa pellets really helps for some species. 

I think shiitakes didn't particularly like the wheat bran but loved the soy. King Oyster loves the added nutes and yields bigger and meatier fruits, the alfalfa particularly helps in yielding prolonged and vigorous second and third flushes.  check out mushroom adventures on youtube - the guy has over 80+ vids on cultivating Pleurotous Eryingii (king oyster) 

I'm currently vacationing but will be back in action - hopefully return to some grown plates that I transferred before my departure and also some grain spawn of APE/shiitake that I inoculated with LI. 

gonna stay tuned to your progress, wishing you success!! 

• Heirloom likes this

#37 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:36 PM

I have used veg supplements as I found here in the vaults.

I hope to put up some pics of shiitake done PF style with rice flour and sawdust and Reshi in mushroom bags.

I have had some failures, despite this I am still trying.

Hopefully I will have some grows to show.

#38 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:44 PM

Ok seems like forever since I posted. I had many failures now I got some success. Here are a few Shiitake  PF style. I used sawdust and  Brown rice flour.

My Reishi are doing ok the mushroom bags are very warm, its 70F  a foot away from my bags and set the thermometer between the bags and its 88F, 18 degrees warmer. I can't believe how much heat the mycelium is putting off. They are doing very good, just sawdust, gypsum, water and Reishi spawn grown on Rye.

Attached Thumbnails

• SHIITAKE626 005.JPG
  • SHIITAKE626 004.JPG
  • SHIITAKE626 003.JPG

• Needles and MConchis like this

#39 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 884 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:44 AM

Though I would stop by with a photo of the biological safety cabinet I won on a online auction. Nobody bid against me so I got it super cheap. Looks like it has to stay in a out building if I can get it off my truck.image.jpeg
  • Arathu likes this

#40 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,373 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:12 PM

Needles that looks kike pro lab equipment, I bet it's heavy. Good thing you got a place to put it. I hope you can get it off your truck with no damage. Thanks for sharing.

I got a question I told a member I would share some Reishi with him. They are in QT jars , can I transfere to sterile 1 gallon zip locks to send . I am also sending sawdust and some mushroom bags wit .5 micron filter. I wanted to keep the weight down. I was going to add a few other items to help.

I don't mind losing the jar as I have plenty but I want it to arrive in good condition with no contamination. Should I just send the QT wraped in bubble wrap? The sawdust will be dry to keep weight down.

I am going to send some shiitake but as spore prints so they are easy and only cost of a stamp.

Any advise from anyone very welcome.

peace

• Needles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!