#41 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 885 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:51 PM

Needles that looks kike pro lab equipment, I bet it's heavy. Good thing you got a place to put it. I hope you can get it off your truck with no damage. Thanks for sharing.
 I got a question I told a member I would share some Reishi with him. They are in QT jars , can I transfere to sterile 1 gallon zip locks to send . I am also sending sawdust and some mushroom bags wit .5 micron filter. I wanted to keep the weight down. I was going to add a few other items to help.
I don't mind losing the jar as I have plenty but I want it to arrive in good condition with no contamination. Should I just send the QT wraped in bubble wrap? The sawdust will be dry to keep weight down.
 I am going to send some shiitake but as spore prints so they are easy and only cost of a stamp.
Any advise from anyone very welcome.
 peace

I took the whole filter and fan assembly apart and used a compressor to blow out 30 years of gunk and dust bunnies. It's cleaning up real good but still on the bed of my truck.
You could transfer to ziplock bags and package but by the time you get a box and package everything you may be best off to just send a jar in a medium flat rate box. If you're trying to keep down the postage maybe just send a isolate on agar. That's awesome that you are sharing the wealth.....
  • Heirloom likes this

#42 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,381 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

I will send a quart jar  want it to arrive  perfect, I don't know about his agar transfer skills.

I am lucky I still have reishi on agar plates.

My sending this this is a part of being a member here, to help others who then help more people.

Ok I think I will just send jars and needed items to help. probably won't cost that much, And whats money
compared to helping people.

I got such great advise and help here that I feel I need to help others as a good member.

peace

• Juthro and Needles like this

#43 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,381 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

About to do more bags , using tyvek folded sheets in my shroom bags to help , just waiting on them to cool.

Running my hepa filter , going to wear a mask over my nose and mouth , wash my hands with alcohol, take all precautions required.

I will take spores of the shiitake and clone them then eat them.

#44 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,381 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:14 AM

Do these shiitake look ok? They seem very short. Any advise welcome. I really need to get a few spore prints. Should I get more than 1 flush?

Thanks this is my first shiitake grow and for some reason find cubes to be much easier.

namaste

Attached Thumbnails

• SHIITAKE626 003.JPG
  • shiitake629 001.JPG
  • shiitake629 002.JPG

• Needles likes this

#45 MConchis

MConchis

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:44 AM

Nice catch on the hood, but man oh man, did it come with a forklift to move it around?  It sure would be nice to work in something like that, talk about eliminating contams!

• Needles likes this

#46 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 885 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:20 PM

The top portion of the hood is gone to the scrap yard. I pulled out the fan and filters and got half my money back. I am rebuilding it to eliminate the vacuum and making it positive pressure flow hood. As long as the filters are still good the cabinet should be awesome.
  • Sicshroom likes this

#47 MConchis

MConchis

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:56 PM

Man, that should be one nice thing when you get it working.  I'll bet that it's all super high quality components.

• Heirloom likes this

#48 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,381 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:55 AM

I got to wonder  if these are worth cloning and sideways they cannot be used for prints.

These are mini shiitakes. I expected much bigger fruit. Not wanting to grow minis.

Anyways here they are. Maybe the second flush will be better

Might need a New culture  or learn to grow better.

Attached Thumbnails

• shiitake 630 001.JPG
  • shiitake 630 002.JPG
  • shiitake629 003.JPG

#49 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 885 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:49 PM

I got to wonder  if these are worth cloning and sideways they cannot be used for prints.
 These are mini shiitakes. I expected much bigger fruit. Not wanting to grow minis.
 Anyways here they are. Maybe the second flush will be better
Might need a New culture  or learn to grow better.

Can't hurt to try to make clones. I think you did a great job getting those cakes to fruit. Once you move into larger substrates like the bags or plug a tree branch you will start to see larger fruits.
  • Heirloom likes this

#50 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,381 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

Thanks Needles , I will make up some petris and clone a few and see how they do on sawdust blocks.

#51 CallMeCrazy

CallMeCrazy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:28 PM

This is an awesome thread. Thanks for creating it Heirloom Spores. I am getting ready to do some building (converting my garage) and am very excited. Construction starts next week. When I start I am going to try and cam the whole thing from start to finish. My hope is to get helpful advice along the way so that hopefully I don't mess it up. Also if anyone has an old laminar hood (Tabletop or cabinet) they aren't using it would be a pleasure to possibly purchase it from you. Please message me if you have one or know someone who does. I am grateful for all the really awesome people here. I have only been around about a week or maybe less and I have learned so much just reading different threads especially deep knowledge and archives. I hope to be a contributor before winter. Agar seems a little intimidating, but thanks to all the great info here, I am gaining confidence that it's not as hard as it seems in my mind. When I start my agar work, should I start with spore prints (online vendor), syringes (online vendor), or buy a master from an online vendor? 

Peace be with you all.

If you don't want to respond to the post feel free to message me. I know some folks prefer reading over posting. Thank you for any input/opinions.

• Heirloom likes this

#52 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,381 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:24 PM

Welcome glad you joined. Thanks for the kind words. I am still learning and often people believe I know more I do. Looking forward to watching you grow. We do have a lot of great people here and I have learned a lot from them in active threads and in the vaults.

namaste

#53 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,381 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:17 PM

A bag of Reishi in sawdust. Hopefully soon I will be able to show fruit.

Attached Thumbnails

• Reishe bag 001.JPG

#54 CallMeCrazy

CallMeCrazy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:48 PM

So, I just finished reading the important parts of Stamets book GGMM, I looked at mycrobe77's agar work thread in the archive great stuff btw. I am as I said building my clean room and growing area next week. I am being told by the book and by other experienced people keep my clean room away from substrate area and fruiting area. So how far away do I need to keep it? I don't want random spores and particulates ruining my specimens once I start my agar work. I don't know how many people agree, but stamets says pretty much everything is a contaminant other than pure clean air and myc. He almost had me thinking the spores I may use in agar petri and slants is a contaminant lol. Also I have 200 sq. ft. 10 x 20 I am going to be working with. One person I spoke to on another forum told me with golden oysters specifically that your fruiting room shouldn't be over 65 sq. ft. or it could cause coloration issues. Does anyone know if this is fact or if there is a scientific reason behind it or is it just something he personally experienced with his own strain? Also I was wondering how to divide the 10 x 20 space since I have to formulate a new plan for my clean room (thanks mycrobe77 for saving me from myself). If the 65 sq. ft. rule is applicable I was thinking 5 or 6 fruiting chambers and 2 smaller substrate rooms with positive flow from a big powerful fan. Going to use hanging straw logs with some kind of supplement not sure what supplement yet. ceiling will be 7-8 ft. high as I don't have enough space to go higher as stamets suggests. So to make up for lack of clearance I am going to put holed septic pipe around the outside of the ceiling as stamets suggests in the book. This will help with air and humidity circulation. I will use an inline duct sonic mister with fan force to push humid in and where the duct meets the top of wall or ceiling I will put a hanging 5 gal. bucket of cool water to keep mist in the air. Also going to connect everything to a humidistat so to control humid and temp. Going to keep a portable radiator heater in there on a small riser for cold weather and trying to find a floor style ac unit for when it's too hot. I know this is a lot to digest, but if there is anybody who has experience with low to mid tech to help me please do or just a knowlegeable person. I am going to seal the room with panda material and tyvec tape as it is cheaper than frp and paint by the sq. ft. I think that covers everything. Just to recap sorry I have A.D.D. My 3 main questions are 1. Suggested size fruiting room for golden oysters? 2. Pretend this is your operation how would you divide the space? 3. How far away from sub and fruiting room does my clean room have to be for agar work? 

Peace be with you all and thank you to anyone who can or is willing to help.

P.S. Does anyone looking at this have a migrane yet? lol

Edited by CallMeCrazy, 07 July 2016 - 08:10 PM.

#55 CallMeCrazy

CallMeCrazy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:15 AM

I have my terminology messed up again. By clean room I mean my homemade lab.... how far away from fruiting and sub area should this be? Sorry for the mix up. 

#56 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,381 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:28 PM

I have had terminology  problems my self, it takes time.

In your lab you decide how far from fruiting area and sub area.

Spores will only spread if you allow them to. I would not worry about taking prints in a home made lab with subs growing
as long as there is no contamination on the subs. Keep contamination  away .

Sterile procedures like you are doing surgery and clean air go a long way, leading to success.

#57 CallMeCrazy

CallMeCrazy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:49 AM

Check this out guys for those who are talking about culture storage, it's a great read!

https://mycotopia.ne...ulture-storage/

• Needles and Heirloom like this

#58 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,381 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:49 AM

CallMe thanks for your contribution.

Ph of distilled water should be 7.

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 11 July 2016 - 11:50 AM.

#59 Needles

Needles

Locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 885 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:31 PM

Check this out guys for those who are talking about culture storage, it's a great read!

https://mycotopia.ne...ulture-storage/

I too have been working on storage in sterilized water. I work a little bit differently and use larger storage containers. I have had great luck reviving cultures in a malt broth or to straight sterilized grain. Agar has been hit or miss so I stick to grain inoculation.
  • coorsmikey, Heirloom and CallMeCrazy like this

#60 CallMeCrazy

CallMeCrazy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:33 AM

hmm... I might consider lc storage... I am still gonna give agar a try. Might be good to have multiple options for master culture storage seeing as they are so expensive. I will have to read up on techniques again and make sure I am ready and prepared. But ordering my master is a ways out. Construction starts as soon as my crew gets here.

Peace all

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!