4 replies to this topic

#1 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 209 posts

Donator

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

Ok....here is my container garden that I have going on. There are 4 baby broccoli plants, 1 green and1 red bell pepper plants, 1 purple cherokee tomato plant, 3 rosemary plants 2 started from seed, 1 cauliflower plant, 1 savoy cabbage plant, 2 sweet basil plants started from seed, 1 more beefsteak that's needing transplanted, started from seed, 2 cherry tomato plants started from seed one still needs transplanted, a pot of chives that's going in the spot today, spicy mesclun that's starting to sprout, bibb lettuce, started from seed, some marjoram sprouts started from seed, and that doesn't include what I have inside that's needing taken out. I also have more seeds to plant in my little spot.
I have a small little plot I cleaned out a few days back and have at the moment 2 beefsteak tomato plants, started from seed, in there but by the end of today it will have all kinds of other stuff in it. Here is what it all looks like.
IMG_20160530_162319773.jpg

Today I was looking over all of them and I was checking out the savoy cabbage and found that it has looks like woolly aphids in the area of where the cabbage head is forming, I must get rid of them ASAP and I want to keep my stuff all organic......so my question is what is the best method to get rid of them?
I've that there are several organic remedies but I'm looking for the most effective.
Any suggestions is very appreciated.

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,145 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:30 AM

Looking good man.

I'm not sure on the aphid part.

I know ther are neem oil sprays and soap and lady bugs but they all seem to verry mileage wise per report.

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 5,121 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:25 AM

Wooly aphids, or mealy bugs are a pain, as there are always some back up troops hiding elsewhere. I have the best results without poisons by using rubbing alcohol on a q-tip, and swabbing each one. I have to usually repete this a few times to get them all. but it does kill them without harming the plant or leaving any residue. It is time consuming.

#4 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 209 posts

Donator

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

I'm using soap and water every couple days and it seems to be doing ok, I'm gonna start using the soap attack and then use a esential oil mix in conjunction with the soap and water as a two pronged attack, I've since found that my cauliflower plant has some caterpillars on it so it's time to ransack them pests. I've since put more out and still have more stuff coming up that's going to be placed outside in the next day or two. I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress of the stuff I'm using to rid my cabbage and cauliflower plants of them pests.

• Skywatcher likes this

#5 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 209 posts

Donator

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:29 AM

Update:
I was able to get rid of the aphids and the caterpillars with my 2 pronged attack of soap and water and a mix of essential oils. All my plants are coming along nicely and Baph is a happy Baph, Plus my wife was gifted 2 cucmber plants.....I have more plants than I have room for as I got 8 more pots inside filled with stuff that I just don't really have room for but knowing me I will find room for them somewhere outside. :biggrin:

• Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!