#1 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:56 PM

Hey everyone,

It's been a while... Feels good to be typing up a message here :)

Anyway I'm curious... Who here smudges? I've just recently gotten back into it and I'm wondering if anyone here does it as well...

What do you smudge with? Why and when do you do it? How does it affect your life?

Personally, I burn sage, not actually a salvia species but the "prairie sage" (an artemisia species actually) that the native Americans here burn.
This one is burned to remove negative energies and spirits as well as for protection.

I also burn sweet grass. I like to burn this, typically after sage, to attract positive energy as well as protection.

I think it's VERY relaxing and it helps me to center myself and rid myself of anxiety and depression...
I do it often: when I'm feeling off.. On special occasions...

I'm interested to here from anyone else who does this... Or if you don't... Maybe you'll find it interesting and want to learn/try it :)

Thanks for reading and replying... Love you guys,
-Ethno

Ps...
I might make some posts in botanicals later about specific plants used to smudge if there is any interest... Not that I know that much lol
  • coorsmikey, Coopdog, wildedibles and 2 others like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,910 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:22 PM

I do smudge. I'm sure there are many ways and reasons for different people, but I have specific intent when I do so. It is not my belief that smudging removes spirits, and to do so would go against my nature. I use white sage that I grow myself so I know the plants are only taken from to meet my need and no more. I also mix it with lavender which I also grow.

I will smudge the whole house when ever I feel I need to. Negatives build up, and feel stagnant and oppressive.

I feel my intent during the smudging is important to be effective.

I open windows, and start at one end of the house and work room by room. I always ask the blessing of God and Goddess, project love and positive thought, and visualize any and all negativity as dark matter, attaching to the smoke and dissipating out of the house as the smoke leaves through the open windows. I only clear negativity, any positive spirits/guides/or invited entity's are not removed. The house will feel clear and fresh, rejuvenated. I am also quite fond of Copal, to purify and clear negative, and often burn it afterward.

I also smudge within my circle outside for the same reasons, but specifically when I plan to work within this space. This is where I charge stones during the full moon, and like the area cleared for this process. I will also sage myself and the area when I am planning any kind of ritual or celebration. I also frequently smudge where I do my meditation and augary, next to the circle and beside the pond, but i do not only use sage. Copal or Ananda are resins I use just as often. I go very deep state sometimes, and like to keep that area only positive and clear. The sound of falling water on rocks is a big part of getting me to that deep state as well as the unfocusing on any specific thought.

I do smudge, but with the intent to clear the negative. I also have crystal grids that do this by elevating the vibrations to a higher frequency. Energy cannot be destroyed, but we can elevate it from negative to positive. My purpose in doing this is to create a environment where positive can amplify. I admittedly am the source of some of the negative accumulation when I allow myself to express anger or frustration. The process of clearing this actually helps me not fall so easily into those states.

Edited by Skywatcher, 30 May 2016 - 11:27 PM.

• Coopdog, ethnobotanist420, wildedibles and 3 others like this

#3 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:37 AM

Thank you for the kind, well spoken and inforrmative response, sky, I have learned to expect nothing less from you :)

I also think keeping your intent in mind while smudging is extremely important... I try to keep my intentions in mind while preparing for as well as during the smudge... I find this to be meditative in and of itself. I also think the intention behind the harvesting of the herbs and transfer of them from person to person is important. I actually acquired my sweet grass as a gift from a kind neighbor and to me that makes it very special. The fact that you care for and harvest your own herbs, and only enough for your need is wonderful!

The last three sentences you wrote explained the way I feel about smudging more simply and elegantly then I could ever dream to...Thank you for that.

-Ethno

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 31 May 2016 - 12:39 AM.

• wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#4 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,039 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:22 PM

I smudge as well. I have sweetgrass and copal resin as well, but I usually use White sage or Grandfather sage as it is called where I buy it. This sage is ceremonially gathered on the side of a mountain and is gathered in a sustainable fashion with respect to the sage so as to be used in sacred intent. IT is some of the most amazingly sweet smelling sage I have ever come across including the white sage I grew myself.

I smudge to remove negativity. If I brush up against a particularly toxic person or situation I smudge with the intent clear my energy of that experience. As Skywatcher said I also smudge to remove my own negative energy of someone brings that out in myself. Skywatcher, the similarity of our practices is so very similar in so many ways. Nice to know I am not the only one out there practicing in this way. If I smudge the house or any space, I do it exactly in the way you describe, right down to the visualization and application of positive intent. I tend to believe that it is our own consciousness and intention that accomplishes this, and the sage is simply a tool or crutch to help us apply this in a more effective manner.

I have smudged to remove negative spirits. We have had a few experiences with scary and violent spirits or energy. There is some sort of nature spirit that comes and goes in this area that is very intimidating. Sometimes you can be outside and all is well, the birds are singing, the frogs and crickets chirping, and other times you can simply feel this dark malignant spirit watching you and hating you. We almost moved a couple of times because of it and I have a Lakota friend who lives a mile or so from here who says it comes and goes at his place as well. Gives me goose bumps to even write about it as if the thought gives energy to it if you understand what I mean? It tends to be here in the fall and winter mostly.

We have been outside chilling and enjoying the night when all the sudden the world went silent, and suddenly we could not get in the house fast enough. When that happens I smudge all around the house and mark the ground with a carved walking stick that I use only for ceremonial intent. man that brings up a very scary story that happened on my Lakota friends property but I don't have time to properly type it out. Later though...

Peace...

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#5 sedaeng

sedaeng

n≡ith≡r gφd nφr mαst≡r

• Black VIP
  • 315 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:18 PM

I do smudge. I'm sure there are many ways and reasons for different people, but I have specific intent when I do so. It is not my belief that smudging removes spirits, and to do so would go against my nature. I use white sage that I grow myself so I know the plants are only taken from to meet my need and no more. I also mix it with lavender which I also grow.

I will smudge the whole house when ever I feel I need to. Negatives build up, and feel stagnant and oppressive.

I feel my intent during the smudging is important to be effective.

I open windows, and start at one end of the house and work room by room. I always ask the blessing of God and Goddess, project love and positive thought, and visualize any and all negativity as dark matter, attaching to the smoke and dissipating out of the house as the smoke leaves through the open windows. I only clear negativity, any positive spirits/guides/or invited entity's are not removed. The house will feel clear and fresh, rejuvenated. I am also quite fond of Copal, to purify and clear negative, and often burn it afterward.

I also smudge within my circle outside for the same reasons, but specifically when I plan to work within this space. This is where I charge stones during the full moon, and like the area cleared for this process. I will also sage myself and the area when I am planning any kind of ritual or celebration. I also frequently smudge where I do my meditation and augary, next to the circle and beside the pond, but i do not only use sage. Copal or Ananda are resins I use just as often. I go very deep state sometimes, and like to keep that area only positive and clear. The sound of falling water on rocks is a big part of getting me to that deep state as well as the unfocusing on any specific thought.

I do smudge, but with the intent to clear the negative. I also have crystal grids that do this by elevating the vibrations to a higher frequency. Energy cannot be destroyed, but we can elevate it from negative to positive. My purpose in doing this is to create a environment where positive can amplify. I admittedly am the source of some of the negative accumulation when I allow myself to express anger or frustration. The process of clearing this actually helps me not fall so easily into those states.

im out of 'likes' but what you say is spot on for why we do it, or rather why my wife performs the duties.  We too grow our own plants as well.

Its not often you hear someone speaking of charging their stones during the full moon :)

Edited by sedaeng, 02 June 2016 - 05:19 PM.

• ethnobotanist420, wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#6 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 575 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:29 AM

I just picked some wild sage today near Drumheller Alberta today and it smells wonderful. I have a bundle of the sage wrapped up with thread and will let it air dry. This after a visit to the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology, great day. Regards mjroom.

• ethnobotanist420 and wildedibles like this

#7 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:56 PM

Thank you everyone for your great responses :)

Mjroom:

I'm curious what species of plant you are picking? I live relatively close to you actually and was wondering if we are talking about the same plant... I think we are.

I found a large patch of it (I believe it is artemisia ludoviciana) while fishing tonight... it goes by a bunch of names... "White Sage" "Mans Sage" "Silver Wormwood" etc. Is this what you picked? If it isn't too much trouble could you post a picture of it?

I have never gathered any myself but I would like to do so! I just would like to be sure what exactly it is I am gathering and if it is what I believe it to be lol

Thanks again and nice to meet you,
-Ethno
  • coorsmikey and wildedibles like this

#8 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 575 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:59 AM

https://ixquick-prox...1761d643bcf36fe

white Sage very fragrant. I also picked a couple of Alberta Rose blossoms and mixed the petals into my smudge stick made of the white sage. The combination is a wonderful sent. I am at the west ind of down town very close to Mount Royal Village. Regards mjroom.

#9 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,039 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:27 AM

Your link takes me to a blank white page. I am very interested in pics of this sage as well.

#10 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 575 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:48 AM

try this link the other does not work for me now either?

https://ixquick-prox...448291c39ed096f

• ethnobotanist420 likes this

#11 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,910 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

These are pictures of my White sage in the yard. Leaves are a silver grey, and the main difference is the flower is a very pale purple, almost white as compared to the yellow flowers on common sage. Sorry for the poor quality of the flower picture.

post-126525-0-61356800-1465320508.jpg

post-126525-0-58721500-1465320862.jpg

White Sage 1 detail.jpg  White Sage 1 sized.jpg

White Sage 003 flower.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher, 07 June 2016 - 12:36 PM.

• Coopdog, ethnobotanist420, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#12 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:37 PM

Beautiful pictures as always, sky! I love the way the plant in the top of the first picture seems to be spiraling to the left.. very beautiful plants :)

Mjroom: Unfortunately i cant see either of the links... do you know how to upload photos directly to Mycotopia? Here is a post that might help https://mycotopia.ne...-post-pictures/:)

Here are some pictures I just went out and took,,, sorry for the amateur hour photography lol I believe this is artemisia ludoviciana.... the "White Sage" that is used in these parts for smudging. 

DSC01103.JPG

DSC01106.JPG

DSC01109.JPG

(I tried to re-size but I'm not very good at it lol)

Is this anything like what you are picking?

Thanks for all the replies everyone... I'm really enjoying this conversation!

-Ethno

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 07 June 2016 - 02:37 PM.

• Coopdog and wildedibles like this

#13 mjroom

mjroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 575 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:08 PM

That is what the plant I picked looked like except for the height (mine were taller about 16 -18") and the the width of the leaves which were a little narrower.  I hope that helps. I think that you can smudge whit what ever you like the aroma of but I am also sure that the traditional plants were used with and for good reason. Regards mjroom.

#14 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,910 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:07 PM

The plant you show looks possible ethno. Mine are several years old, and seem to do best the more they are left untended. When mine were younger they looked more sparse, but age and low water has densed the foliage. 

White sage is extremely potent in smell. I find it a pleasent smell. Just handling a leaf will leave a potent sage after smell for hours, and a kind of waxy residue on your hands. Around here, the white and common sage is blooming all around me. I probably do not need to grow it as it is an abundant native, but I enjoy having it around.

Edited by Skywatcher, 08 June 2016 - 10:04 AM.

• Coopdog, ethnobotanist420 and wildedibles like this

#15 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for the response mjroom! The plants in my pictures are likely quite stunted... These were growing in an area where a controlled burn was done this spring so they have not had as long to grow as the rest of the plants around here... Maybe I will look for some more mature specimens to photograph later. I'd like to take better pictures than the ones I took earlier haha

EDIT

Skywatcher:

That's great! I would like to grow the sage that you are growing one day... Salvia Apiana... What you are growing is actually a true sage (a salvia species) the "white sage" picked around here is actually a misnomer as they aren't salvia species at all...

All of the "sage" plants that are native to my area are actually artemisias more closely related to wormwood than to an actual salvia.

Kind of confusing when you are trying to figure out what is what without the help of someone who has been picking it for years lol

Love and light,
-Ethno

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 07 June 2016 - 05:18 PM.

#16 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,910 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:31 PM

I actually bought 2 plants from a nursury, Salvia Apiana. They needed low water to get established the first year, but now prefer to be only when it rains. I planted them in neglected areas of my yard, and they seem to like the locations. The problem I have is people who go out and strip an area, with no regard for the conservation of the plants.

I'm sure you could find the Salvia Apiana in a nursery this time of year, but our friend Vesp has both plants and seeds for sale at a very reasonable price......

https://vesp.co/sear...q=salvia apiana

Here are a whole bunch of pictures

https://images.searc...Apiana&fr=yfp-t

Edited by Skywatcher, 07 June 2016 - 05:47 PM.

#17 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:52 PM

Thank you for the links, sky! What a beautiful plant... I never realized how large the flowering portion of the plant is... Are they quite fragrant as well? This could certainly make a great addition to a garden and I'm sure the bees will love it too lol

I %100 agree with you about not stripping the land and conserving the plants... Its sad to think that people go out and decimate the population of these plants so they can sell them in shops and online. I must admit that the sage I have now was bought and I do have a lot of reservation about supporting that kind of thing... Tho the person I bought it from assured me it was "sustainably sourced"

I would like to grow my own, as you do, or respectfully pick small amounts for myself from the wild on the future. I think the intentions behind the gathering of the plant has a lot to do with how effective it will be in a persons uses for it.

#18 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,910 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:56 PM

The metaphysical learning center I go to nearby sells sage bundles. I do happen to know it is collected by the owners, with a special permission, where the conservation groups will send a guide with them to direct them to an area, where it has not been taken for years. Even still, they are overly careful to only take a small amount from each plant, and never inflict any harm on the surrounding natural environment.  This is not however the way many stores and locations obtain their sage, and unfortunately many do not inquire about the source or method.

#19 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,491 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:21 PM

That's awesome! Sounds like the way it should be harvested imo. Salvia apiana is native to your area then? It definitely is not up here lol I'm sure it would love our summers but I don't know about surviving our winters... It is a perennial tho.... Hmm I will have to do some reading I suppose lol
  • Coopdog, wildedibles and Skywatcher like this

#20 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,121 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:23 PM

The way it is harvested is very important to the over all use of the smudging :)
I have a common sage yellow flowers and man it takes over everywhere here with little if any care at all ....I collect what I need just as the flowers are there but not all open yet this is when I was told to colllect it for smudging ( which I am learning more about thanks all ;))

I do have a wormwood here too that grows well and I do use it but less often

I have wondered about theNative American traditions on using Sage, Sweet grass, Cedar and Toacco (did I get them all) I heard somewhere?? that we are soposed to burn them together but I hear to burn them seprate too??
  • ethnobotanist420 and Skywatcher like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!