16 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:25 PM

I decided to run a log on the herbals I gather and prepare for use.
If the herbal is for another person I will keep thier name out of it.
I will explain a bit of thier medical condition as to explain the heral usage with thier permission, to share info and possibly help someone else with the same or simular issues ;)

If there is any info you can add please do so I like sharing the info around :)
  • Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#2 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:17 AM

I wanted to use Solomons seal for a few reasons I will discuss in a moment. Looking around I had only found it in gardens including mine but not enough to collect as medicine and well finding it in a health food store is almost impossible.
So I decided to learn more about a more abundant herbal in the area False Solomons seal :) used simularly if the real one is not avaiable. Last fall I dug up a few roots and noticed I had 2 that were simular but not the same?? and ..... one that was tootally different and that one was Twisted stalk not the one I want...............
.......maybe its the age of the roots ?? maybe??....Im confued so when inn dout well I didnt toss them out I wanted to observe them dry see if I can find out but not use until I find out this riddle??
https://en.m.wikiped...hemum_racemosum

.......This spring I have been up in the wood lots and checking out all the spring flowers taking pictures but still having issues sharing them...(dont wanna get stuck on that lol...)
anyway I found real Solomons seal in the woods ??? never seen them there before or have I??
Yes I did in the fall this is why I have two diff roots I dug up one of each and yep the roots look almost the same but the false one is a yellow color cream compared to the white Solomons seal....
....now I do not know why they have put so much into discussing the root to id these plants "Solomons seal has seals on the root where there was a previous years flower stalk came from" well same as the false one?? lol

K there is 4 ways I see now that makes identification easier to do in the woods ;)
1. Spring look for plants in flower
-real flowers all the way up the stalk
-false flowers at the end of the stalk

2. Leaves in spring open up and the flowers come right after the leaves at this stage have a different color
-real has a blue / green color and in the creases where the leaves attach to the stem has a white powder coating
-false has a more sturdy look to the leaf almost glossy and green

3. Berries will be there is the fall tey will be located where the flowers were so
-real all the way up the stem
-false at the end of the stem

sometimes no flowers or berries are present and if the leaves are all dry in fall it might be hard to see the green threw the brown ( the best time to collect is in the fall as roots are better when the nutrition of the plant dies back into the root) So the roots will look simular the best way is to make sure you have a risome long root with round scars on the root from previous years stalks "seals" on either plant
real- risome is white it actually comes out of the forest litter clean and white very apealing :)
false- is more yellow / brown color I said cream but it is more yellow

https://en.m.wikiped...onatum_biflorum

when I get pictures on here I will show what I am talking about ;)
  • Skywatcher and Juthro like this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:28 AM

Here is some medicinal uses on Solomons Seal
http://www.solomonss...howssworks.html

I think this plant will help my neck and back helping with injuries and repetitive stress injuries too working with bone cartlidge, fluids and tendons all about the joint etc......
...warning about this plant lowering blood sugars
talk to your dr always about the herbals you take cause this one can interfear with blood sugar levels and blood sugar lowering drugs......

http://www.ozarkherb...-solomons-seal/

and since I am taking some Chinese herbs I decided to look it up with Chinese herbal medicine too, to see it from a different point of view I think it is kinda neat more to learn anyway ....Chinese herbals use one local to where they are and we have a local one here and they are used the same

http://old.tcmwiki.com/wiki/yu-zhu
  • Skywatcher likes this

#4 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:03 AM

here is a few videos of wild food some great ideas to rememeber

[Direct Link]

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:30 AM

I love watching aborigionals wild harvest food :) you can sense tthe history of learning how to do it right...... some have replaced thier wooden digging sticks for metal ones but they will not use a shovel for digging out roots and this makes sense.....Its hard gettiing around other roots and rocks and and with a shovel but a stick can work and loosen it all out.....This is why i wanted a digging stick its lighter using wood my ground is not as hard as the sun baked earth of the desert.

The aborigional women show a dance for the food that was found its a thanks in thier Dreaming way :) They try and explain that the dreaming cannot be explained with words its more of a feeling :) this reminds me of our dream time here :)

I liked watching the botanist watch the aboriginal woman trying to find out how she knows the difference between the yams :)
#1 look for vine growing up tree trunk
#2 look for the seed pods ....if yes you have the one type
#3 no seed pods look for leaf :) the difference here tho is soposed to be very hard to see but a botanist could ;) and these women that dig them out all the time :)
Now the one is poisonous but they know from the elders that if they cook it and then grate it then soak it in the river for a few days it will leach out all the toxin :) ....not only botonists they are chemists too ;)

Here is the #2 video in the wild food series
  • Skywatcher likes this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:36 AM

[Direct Link]

wild food series #2 episode

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:19 AM

I love the old idea to wrap meat in leaves like dock to cook the meat in the fire or coals or pit ovens :)
Works better than tin foil and its recycled back into the land where tinfoil goes into the dump and will not decompose totally.
Plus you get the added flavor some leaves taste pretty good or at least make the meat taste good :)
Some herbs like the thyme would have been used to preserve food as well as making them taste better.

Wild food was chosen for a couple reasons Taste well some do taste better than others some food isnt palatable to eat. some food can taste better if you know how to prepare it right like soking it in the river for a few days to remove bitter constituents of the plant. Sometimes cooking it different ways would change the taste like boiling, over the coals on a stick, or in the ashes or in the pit oven all ways to change the taste of food.

variety well mother nature holds the cards here if we dont take advantage of the variety of foods out there we would have ran out of a particular food, looking and using all sorts of foods avaiable will stretch food reserves much better. This is also good for nutrition swiching up the nutes cause certian foods have certian nutes .....eating like this you really get close to how this food makes you feel ;) its really fresh and alive if you pick it yourself and eat it ;)

I find if you do not fight nature it will ehlp you preserve better sometimes its better to leave the berries on the bush. If you collect them and try and preserve them they could go bad after spending too many calories. If the berries can be picked and eaten all winter this is a good way of preserving them that also could bring in some meat if birds and other creatures wanted a berry snack too :) I leave my potatoes in the ground dig when I want a couple garden ones they are good till summer in the ground they do not last all winter in my pantry I am not lucky enough to have a root cellar.

These guys are lost on the basketry used long ago for eg. soaking the fine starch materials in the river without loosing all the starch out the holes.....baskets from long ago are all rotted away? who knows what they used ;) well I say look into what your craftsmen are doing at weaving now they will have the clues on when certian patterns and colors etc were used what materials could be used....they talk to one basket weaver and she can make a water tight basket well make the holes slightly larger and you will end up with something to soak the fine mash in the water or even to use as a collandar.
  • Skywatcher, Juthro and Cybilopsin like this

#8 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:25 AM

here is a few videos of weaving baskets with natural materials
basket weaving rushes: http://www.youtube.c...F4517225C612FE2

and one on willow

[Direct Link]

Edited by wildedibles, 14 June 2016 - 09:28 AM.

• Skywatcher, Juthro and Spooner like this

#9 Cybilopsin

Cybilopsin

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 196 posts

Donator

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:45 PM

I love the old idea to wrap meat in leaves like dock to cook the meat in the fire or coals or pit ovens :)
Works better than tin foil and its recycled back into the land where tinfoil goes into the dump and will not decompose totally.

There's a very large-leaved plant of genus Petasites I think that I've seen in a Maryland or Virginia garden - I wonder if its leaves would make good cooking-blankets. They're big enough. I'm starting the little monkey-hand-sized version, Fuki, in someone's garden this spring garden.

Personally a cleanable and recyclable cooking vessel cuts the mustard as far as eco-friendly goes for me. I have one I can do three large sweet potato in at onece.

• wildedibles likes this

#10 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:16 AM

Some links for Wild Cucumber Root

http://ontariowildfl...ecies.php?id=73

Here is a video on this plant too it is a good collection of still pictures and video of this plant in all its life stages very well done for representing this plant :)

[Direct Link]

Here is another video nice one for identifying and about eating wild food remember tho only eat these when they are plentyful he explains they grow in groups with taller 2 tiered with flower ;) and one teir without flower (or berries) but remember some plants are more rare than others I have noticed this plant growing in one spot with only one plant I didnt pick that one ....but this time I found it there was an eaasy 20 in the area and I took 2 to document the plants one with and without flower stalk....this plant looks like star flower a bit but the root on star flower is not the same we are looking for a tuber and star flower has no tuber........star flower has a stalk that is smooth too and the indian or wild cucumber has a cotten layer on the stem especially near where the leaves meet the stem ;)

[Direct Link]

Here is a link with pictures of star flower and indian / wild cucumber together explaining the difference in the flowers and a bit about the leaves too the veins run different ways I think ....

http://www.wildwoods...root/index.html

Edited by wildedibles, 22 June 2016 - 05:25 AM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#11 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

I have a Mountain ash tree (Rowan) that is so heavy with fruit the branches are breaking....... we got so much rain I need to pick the berries this year and need some ideas ....the birds love them so I will place some in another tree for the birds to eat while they dry

I read a bit abaout drying and roasting the berries for a coffee subsitute that sounds different
.....jellies ...or chutney.... Does anyone out there use these berries?
  • jkdeth likes this

#12 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:03 AM

The rains beat my artichokes all to hell, hope they can recover.

• wildedibles likes this

#13 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:06 AM

My oragano is all beat to the ground too ....and my Phalaras grass too falling over

Ive seen more honey bees this year then ever tho but the bumble bees are low in numbers ??
  • Skywatcher likes this

#14 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,351 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:25 AM

I have a bee hive in the corner, so I always see a steady amount of those. Now that you mentioned the bumble bees, i did not see many this year, and only for a 1 month period when the wisteria was blooming (which they cannot resist)

• wildedibles likes this

#15 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,988 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:44 PM

ya my oragano is usually full of them but the rain might be why

I dont actually have that many mountain ash berries but the weight still pulled down on the branches ....might just leave them for the birds they really like them :)
  • Spooner likes this

#16 Spooner

Spooner

Horney Toad

• Black VIP
  • 2,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:56 AM

Bumble bees are funny.  I enjoy them.

• wildedibles likes this

#17 jkdeth

jkdeth

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:23 AM

Love the Rowan tree, more for the magical connotations. Had a Wiccan friend who passed away suddenly, Rowan trees and foxes are very tied to her.
  • wildedibles likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!