• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,718 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:34 PM

Well nothing happening for fruiting of my king stropharia bed however signs of life are good. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,175 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:42 PM

They cling to my corn, radish, lettuce and almost every other root! Its incredible.
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#3 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,175 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:06 PM

I like them cut in half , marinaded and then barbequed...

#4 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,718 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:31 PM

Never thought of barbecuing them.

Most of my radishes have already flowered and are not very big.

#5 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,175 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:37 PM

Yah even brushing olive oil and a sprinkle of salt makes a great marinate but you can experiment. They get the grill marks and everything. I also do this with Shitake, Pines, Morels ...even Button. Give it a try.

#6 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,008 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:34 AM

You made me go check my patch. They haven't fruited yet but the bales are thoroughly colonized. 

Having never grown them before.......

When do they fruit typically? - Early season, mid-season, or toward harvest time (in regards to vegetable season).

I'm still picking King Oysters off of the other bales. This outdoor gardening stuff is the bees knees. Next year, I think the lawn is gone and being replaced by windrows of straw bales. Another article I've seen show shiitake on cereal straws - can't wait to have a couple of rows of shiitake (cold and warm fruiting). It has been really awesome eating from the garden while the vegetables get established. I've been stuffing my face for a month now and have more than I can eat still in the refrigerator. Time to look into fermenting fungi as an alternative to drying. 

My final analysis:

Fungal production - if carefully planned - can get us into fresh food earlier each season and (hopefully) carry us later past traditional vegetable harvest times. The idea is to always have something fresh to eat along with canned foods or grocery store stuff.

• Skywatcher and mushfun like this

#7 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,773 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

How are y'all checking to see if the bale is colonized w/o disturbing the myc?

#8 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,175 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:05 AM

The fruit "all summer" throughout. They don't mind being disturbed and redistributed. They really love straw mulch.
  • Myc and catattack like this

#9 catattack

catattack

[^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,773 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:09 AM

The fruit "all summer" throughout. They don't mind being disturbed and redistributed. They really love straw mulch.

I'll go look, will report.

No noticeable mycelium spotted (even where the inky caps are popping up), is it possible that it's too wet? I imagine it would tear through the decomposing straw though. 

Edited by catattack, 09 June 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#10 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,175 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:22 AM

Should be bright white and smell very sweet.
  • catattack likes this

#11 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,649 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:40 AM

You made me go check my patch. They haven't fruited yet but the bales are thoroughly colonized. 

Having never grown them before.......

When do they fruit typically? - Early season, mid-season, or toward harvest time (in regards to vegetable season).

I'm still picking King Oysters off of the other bales. This outdoor gardening stuff is the bees knees. Next year, I think the lawn is gone and being replaced by windrows of straw bales. Another article I've seen show shiitake on cereal straws - can't wait to have a couple of rows of shiitake (cold and warm fruiting). It has been really awesome eating from the garden while the vegetables get established. I've been stuffing my face for a month now and have more than I can eat still in the refrigerator. Time to look into fermenting fungi as an alternative to drying. 

My final analysis:

Fungal production - if carefully planned - can get us into fresh food earlier each season and (hopefully) carry us later past traditional vegetable harvest times. The idea is to always have something fresh to eat along with canned foods or grocery store stuff.

drying or jarring fungi is GREAT

• Cybilopsin, fanny adams and Tom19 like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!