• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#21 Dutchdude

Dutchdude

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:00 AM

What I mean is, when you overbasidify, this will be visible in the yield? So you think you have a nice batch of crystals but part of it is actually lye?

Edit: I'll check in about two hours when I get home. Refilter. Let dry, wash with ammonia and hopefully not everything will wash away hehehe

#22 TheAngryGolfer

TheAngryGolfer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 379 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:12 AM

What I mean is, when you overbasidify, this will be visible in the yield? So you think you have a nice batch of crystals but part of it is actually lye?

no, it shouldnt, because no matter how much lye you add its not going to make it any more soluble in naptha. (lye is very very slightly soluble in naptha, so there will be a tiny amount in your final product regardless of how much or how little you basify... nowhere near enough to be harmful)

even if you added so much lye that not all of it dissolved, when you wait for the layers to separate, the solid lye would sink to the bottom.

#23 TheAngryGolfer

TheAngryGolfer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 379 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:14 AM

oh and the fact that it redissolved when it sat in the naptha in the coffee filter proves that it is DMT and not lye. naptha cannot dissolve any signifigant amount of lye.

#24 Dutchdude

Dutchdude

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:15 AM

oh and the fact that it redissolved when it sat in the naptha in the coffee filter proves that it is DMT and not lye. naptha cannot dissolve any signifigant amount of lye.

I'll instruct my girlfriend to send a big kiss your way. You saved my day, I feel confident again that the procedure worked ;)

#25 Dutchdude

Dutchdude

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:07 AM

Don't understand this. Done Marsofolds tek (log here http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=13281)

After crystals popup in the freezer, put it through filters. Honey like goo, remains in the filter. Crystals are not becoming crystals but goo.

What can be the problem?

Thanks
Sad Heartcore ;)

#26 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:15 AM

I don't know for sure, but is your freezer really really cold?
How long are you freezing it for?
I kept mine in a really cold freezer for 2 days before I took it out.

#27 Dutchdude

Dutchdude

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

Freezer is minus 24

Kept it under a day, thats too short you think? I didnt realize that can influence the way the crystals crystalize.

#28 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:25 AM

The tek of marsofolds that I followed said to freeze it for three days.
I did it like angry golfer said in your other thread

OR do your freeze precipitation in a glass baking pan covered with plastic wrap instead of a jar. when its ready, lift one edge of the plastic wrap and pour the naptha out carefully, leaving the crystals in the pan. You can pour it thru a filter if you want just incase you accidentally pour out some crystals. then re-cover the pan and let it sit till it reaches room temperature, then remove the plastic wrap and allow it to sit until the crystals dry

You don't need to filter it, just pour out the naptha.

#29 Dutchdude

Dutchdude

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:26 AM

Cool, a friend who is here just came up with the same suggestion. Going for that thanks.

#30 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:39 AM

I merged both your threads together DD, so your log continues.

#31 Dutchdude

Dutchdude

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:19 PM

Thanks, sorry for opening a second thread anyway, I freaked out I guess.

Ok I'll continue the log.

Since we had all this honey like goo sticking in the coffee filter, we heated the naptha up again and put the filter paper in there in attempt to recapture all the goodies back to naptha. After soaking for sometime, we squeezed the paper, then drained it with new naptha. Repeated this one more time. Paper is left to dry.

So tomorrow I'll get a few nice pyrex baking dishes and continue from there.

Man what an adventure ;)

Edit: So eyeballing the first naptha pull being back in the freezer, it looks all goodies are back so very nice. Did a second naptha pull which came out cloudy but less than the first. Doing the third pull now, seems to be almost clear so everywhere where I stay to the TEK, everything is as expected. Most important lesson learned so far: Stay with the tek.

So let's hope a few days freezing will do the trick.

#32 Dutchdude

Dutchdude

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:15 AM

Continuing this.

Three naptha washes have been done. Getting pyrex baking dish today. I really hope that crystalization will be fine after a few days freezing.

Some question came up. Everybody I talked to suggested that defatting mimosa is not needed. Yesterday someone said you should ALWAYS do it, also with mimosa. Any thoughts? Anyone else can confirm that DMT will end up a honeylike goo when not freeze sufficiently?

#33 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:28 AM

Some question came up. Everybody I talked to suggested that defatting mimosa is not needed. Yesterday someone said you should ALWAYS do it, also with mimosa. Any thoughts? Anyone else can confirm that DMT will end up a honeylike goo when not freeze sufficiently?

You could defat if you wanted, but generally it's only really necessary if you're using a material that has chlorophyl. You'll be able to get pretty clean crystals this way, especially with an ammonia wash.

In my experiences, if I do a bad job seperating layers, and I let even a drop of basic solution get into my seperated naptha, that basic solution manages to get caught up into the filter and redisolve the DMT back into it, become a sort of honey like substance. At colder temperatures, this will sometimes freeze out into crystals and seperate, at warmer temperatures it melts down.

Shulgin lists the melting point of DMT at 165-167 celcius, so I would think there have to be impurities in there somewhere causing melting into a honey. I don't think you have the crystals around 330 degrees in the open.

#34 Dutchdude

Dutchdude

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:58 PM

In my experiences, if I do a bad job seperating layers, and I let even a drop of basic solution get into my seperated naptha, that basic solution manages to get caught up into the filter and redisolve the DMT back into it, become a sort of honey like substance. At colder temperatures, this will sometimes freeze out into crystals and seperate, at warmer temperatures it melts down.

This is probably (I hope lol) it, I can imagine that it happened. Since we overbasidified we ended up with three containers. I washed all three containers three times with naptha. I'm thinking now, I may have sucked off tha naptha from one before it settled completely.

Anyway, I got a pyrex baking dish this afternoon and I've put the wash in the freezer again. After four days, I will pour off the naptha and evap the rest. If it still is honeyish, I suppose I could mix it again with the extraction which I kept, let it settle good and suck it off. Theoretically this should solve it if the problem was like you suggested right?

#35 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:45 PM

I have found the easiest way for me to take care of the gooey mess (with crystals) is to disolve it all in very warm naptha. shake the piss out of it. heat it up more, shake the piss out of it. Continue. Now just seperate your naptha from the goo. Allow this to freeze precipitate, and you've got clear crystals! Repeat the naptha and shaking on the goo until you don't yield anything else!

#36 Dutchdude

Dutchdude

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:30 AM

Here's a picture of my solvent after one day in the freezer at minus 26C.

dish1.jpg

Notice the light brown stuff in there, looks like Beardedlady is right and I did suck up some of the basidified extract while aiming for the naptha. Kind of tempted to take it out and clean it according to BL's advice but on the other hand, it could well be that once I pour of the naptha and evap, it will turn out ok. I guess I wait a bit longer.

Should I wait the full 4 days? Probably yes :)

#37 TheAngryGolfer

TheAngryGolfer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:50 PM

you definately sucked up some basified crap. you have to be very careful. leave about a half inch of clean naptha (dont suck it all up all the way down to the bubbles).

#38 cheech

cheech

wizard of sorts

• Expired Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

Shulgin lists the melting point of DMT at 165-167 celcius, so I would think there have to be impurities in there somewhere causing melting into a honey. I don't think you have the crystals around 330 degrees in the open.

that is for the salt. the freebase melts at a MUCH lower temp.

#39 Dutchdude

Dutchdude

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:17 AM

you definately sucked up some basified crap. you have to be very careful. leave about a half inch of clean naptha (dont suck it all up all the way down to the bubbles).

I actually did that. What went wrong, and now I remember, is that at some point, I needed to add liquid to my container to move the naptha to a spot where I could more easily suck it up. I added a little of the basidified mix to the naptha and then I sucked up the naptha. Here is where it went wrong, I didnt wait long enough for it to settle again.

Well its been two day in the freezer. I'm very tempted to pour it off tonight and check. If any goo, I'll clean it up. Is there a point in this situation to wait the full 4 days? I've not been able to find information about freezing times.

#40 TheAngryGolfer

TheAngryGolfer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:53 AM

the reason you wait 3 or 4 days is to make sure you get everything.

if your solution is very saturated, most of it precipitates out within a few hours.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!