21 replies to this topic

#1 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Donator

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:00 AM

Well guys this is another post of what I've got going on, a little back info first.

I've had a garden my whole life thanks to my father. As a child I remember my dad always having at least herbs growing and my father did about 70% of the cooking in my house. I grow up in Orlando and we have an orange tree a huge lemon tree and one or two more fruit trees that never produced while we lived there and we always had tomatoes. When we moved to my fathers home town when I was 11 he always had a bigger garden and it was nothing i wanted anything to do with... Well I'd say I really was never into growing anything until my wife and I moved in together and then I wanted to garden but I didn't know anything so made a lot of mistakes.. First few years I killed a lot of plants with over doing the nutes so then I tried hydro and the only thing I had success with was tomatoes but my summer schedule with work is very time consuming and the pH fluctuations killed a lot of my plants(my base pH is 9) so now I'm using soil, in buckets with many small holes for drainage and a 2in layer of clay pebbles. So far great success pix to follow
Beefsteak tomato]uploadfromtaptalk1466661269553.jpg Black beauty cherry tomato

Purple Cherokee tomato
uploadfromtaptalk1466661386834.jpg
Mammoth jalapeño
uploadfromtaptalk1466661421291.jpg
Sweet bell peppers with lemon basil companion
uploadfromtaptalk1466661446925.jpg
Zucchini
uploadfromtaptalk1466661493959.jpg
squash
uploadfromtaptalk1466661522818.jpg kaffir lime uploadfromtaptalk1466661578533.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1466661318417.jpg

• Juthro, Heirloom , niemandgeist and 1 other like this

#2 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:46 AM

BUCKET GARDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little does anyone know, I developed an epic auto watering auto feeding bucket setup for a bucket garden.

Bucket gardens IMO.. are the best garden and most productive by means of giving each plant personal care.

Always had success in buckets.

know what you can do with those buckets to make an amazing amount better ??

Add a few 1/2inc holes in the bottom of the bucket with the soil adn plant... then slide that bucket into

another bucket.

now that both buckets are stacked, youll notice there is a gap below the top bucket inside teh bottom bucket.

At this spot on the bottom bucket, make a line on outside of bucket, so you knwo where the bottom of the

inside bucket reaches.

Drill 2x 1/2inch holes on opposites sides of eachother on the sides of the bottom bucket just below

the bottom of the inside bucket.

Now you have a water res in your buttom bucket, with fresh air intake so the water doesnt

get stagnant.

Now whenever you water, water till you see water coming from the side holes of the bottom bucket, you know

your water res has been filled and the soil will drip drain "DRY", this is what you want.

the added benefits of this setup are immense, im not going to go into detail about the benefits, i figure

id allow others to dig inot that if you so feel they need to know the science behind it.

Cheers bro.

(it does sacrifice buckets for just garden work... but buckets are cheap)

• PsyBearknot, Heirloom and Sicshroom like this

#3 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Donator

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:53 AM

I use that method you describe in my indoor garden where im doing a coco coir grow for the first time! Thank you for the reply! I'm using 4 gal buckets for my plants and of I can get some 5 gal I will probably do as you mentioned because the heat is starting to get intense so a res would help out allot since I'm already seeing fruits on my big tomato plant!

#4 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Donator

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:54 AM

I get my buckets for free from work, about 20 at a time actually we get in pickels and potatoes in buckets and instead of letting them get trashed I ask for them and I always get permission so they cost me nothing!!!!
  • PsyBearknot and Juthro like this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,300 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

Looking good, Sic.

I like the bucket usage :)
  • Sicshroom likes this

#6 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,624 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:41 PM

I tried to convince the old man to keep his tomatoes in individual buckets, raised up on platforms so squirrels, rabbits, and other critters can't get to them, but he stuck them in the garden plot.

The buckets are definitely a great idea. You can move them around if need be, it's easier to keep critters from munching on your veggies, and as you said each one can get specific care.

I hope we all get to enjoy super tasty tomatoes pretty soon!

• Sicshroom likes this

#7 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Donator

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:51 PM

The beef steak has 2 small ones and about 12-15 flowers I think. I'm still picking flowers on the peppers and my other 2 tomatoes because I want the plants to be bigger. I'm enjoying training them to grow along the tomato gate its producing more leaf matter and absorbing much more light the growing up the middle
  • PsyBearknot and niemandgeist like this

#8 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,624 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:52 PM

OOH BEEFSTEAK! Such large tomatoes. Great for sandwiches and burgers!

I just love the summer/end of summer to be able to get all of those nicely ripened tomatoes fresh from the garden. I like to dice them or mush them up with onions and hot peppers from the garden to make my own kind of salsa to put on sandwiches or into my eggs in the morning for breakfast.

I plan on taking some fresh tomatoes and slicing them thin, using some ready-to-go pizza dough from work, some white button mushrooms, and peppers, and making myself a super tasty pizza out of it all.

Of course, tomatoes are still a wee bit off into the future at this point, but yeah it'll be really nice to have lots of fresh ones to work with! Even just dicing up a small tomato and putting it into my eggs in the morning or into my egg salad or tuna salad is great. Can't wait for those spicy peppers, too!

• Sicshroom likes this

#9 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Donator

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:05 PM

I make my own tomato sauce, tomato chutney, butter chicken from fresh tomatoes although it takes almost 3 days traditionally. Deep fried soft crab sandwichs with tomatoes off the vine,soft crabs that I can catch at my fathers house(4 houses from me) this year I plan on jarring everything I don't sell. I have two pressure cookers so canning won't be a problem!
  • Juthro and niemandgeist like this

#10 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Donator

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:29 PM

Beefsteak uploadfromtaptalk1468643282181.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1468643293737.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1468643307151.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1468643330514.jpg
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#11 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Donator

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:30 PM

Cherry Tomatoes uploadfromtaptalk1468643384541.jpg
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#12 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Donator

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:33 PM

Basil, lemon basil, kaffir lime, and some peppers(bell, pimento, and jalapeño)uploadfromtaptalk1468643483522.jpg
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#13 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Donator

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:35 PM

Purple Cherokee , Yellow squash, and Zucchini uploadfromtaptalk1468643635909.jpg
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#14 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,373 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:48 AM

Looking Sic!
  • Sicshroom likes this

#15 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Donator

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

Thank you!

#16 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Donator

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

Thank you!

#17 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,373 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:14 PM

I did basil in 2 gallon buckets and will move them to 5 gallon next year they are having difficulty holding water right now. Had some good success with purple container and yellow wax beans. The Malabar spinach is doing well too
  • Juthro likes this

#18 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,300 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:26 PM

Nice...!

Keep it growing, Sic :)

#19 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Donator

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:59 PM

uploadfromtaptalk1469591815808.jpg
First harvest I'd have more to update but I'm super busy at work and its allot to keep up with and to share my progress ATM. I also have gotten a nice size yellow squash and more tomatoes are ripening(on the vine) as we speak

#20 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:29 AM

wel arnt those some cuties :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!