#21 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:54 AM

The moldies are ~half the posters here, myself included!   :biggrin:

Edited by catattack, 13 July 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#22 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:05 AM

I beleive Fahster called it quick STEP method befire others called it steeping.

#23 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:49 AM

Very nice write-up. Vanilla in your oats, huh? You're definitely spot-on about coir, as it is tough to beat as a growth medium.

Anyway, thanks for contribution and all the hard work.
  • Cue, Juthro, CatsAndBats and 3 others like this

#24 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:02 PM

Very nice write-up. Vanilla in your oats, huh? You're definitely spot-on about coir, as it is tough to beat as a growth medium.

learning/learned  a lot from you jammer!

• jds and meyer like this

#25 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:03 PM

Vanilla extract contains a antibacterial compound called trimethoprin and is a good source of carbon. I have used it in agar before and never thought to use it grain, good idea cat. Im not sure the thermal decomposition of trimethoprin and i didnt see any noticeable diffrence in growth but none the less very interesting.
  • Spliff, jds, Cue and 3 others like this

#26 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:33 AM

Vanilla extract contains a antibacterial compound called trimethoprin and is a good source of carbon. I have used it in agar before and never thought to use it grain, good idea cat. Im not sure the thermal decomposition of trimethoprin and i didnt see any noticeable diffrence in growth but none the less very interesting.

I add ALL sorts of stuff to my grows (you know I do @microbe), but for the sake of simplicity for our budding hobbyists, I omitted most of my goofy additives. Plus they require a more scientific approach and experiments that are repeatable blah blah blah, but you know this. 

I had success with trichoderma contaminated jars that were re-PC'd and then inoculated, the theory being that the healthy 'sterile' myc will develop the chemicals (exopolysaccharides) to digest the dead trich, which in theory will help them be prepared for live trichoderma, if (when) they encounter the endospores during fruiting or when exposed during the colonization run.

I also had some oats that sprouted before a PC run, went ahead and PC'd anyway, and the myc gobbled them up. What are some extra enzymes going to hurt?

Plus I am also a big proponent of feeding the mycelium anything that it will encounter at the earliest stage of growth (agar or grain germination), to help them develop those fancy chemical sugars early. @seeker2be @sgfchamber @microbe and I have all discussed this. Not sure where/when I picked this habit up, but in classes I've taken it was encouraged.

• Teonanacatl38, Chancey, Microbe and 2 others like this

#27 meyer

meyer

Its better to burn out, than fade away...

• OG VIP
  • 1,037 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:49 PM

Jammer, told me a while ago to use 1.5 cups of grain to 1 cup of water and PC for 90 minutes, if I did this instead of steeping, would I essentially get the same results?

What can I add to my quarts before PC'ing that would not involve anything super scientific?

- Gypsum

- Crushed Oyster Shells

- Bee Pollen

- H-Poo
- Straw

- ANYTHING else

Should I consider adding any of the above?

I also may caught the recipe in half as my PC only does 7 quarts as well, but then do a couple of different strains the next run of 7 quarts.

Does anyone have a good recipe for using quarts for Pans? Or is it the same as if you are making BRF jars, just bigger and they have to be bulked out... am I missing anything? If so, we can take this off-line so I do not screw up Cats thread, thanks everyone!

#28 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:42 PM

Jammer, told me a while ago to use 1.5 cups of grain to 1 cup of water and PC for 90 minutes, if I did this instead of steeping, would I essentially get the same results?

What can I add to my quarts before PC'ing that would not involve anything super scientific?

- Gypsum

- Crushed Oyster Shells

- Bee Pollen

- H-Poo
- Straw

- ANYTHING else

Should I consider adding any of the above?

I also may caught the recipe in half as my PC only does 7 quarts as well, but then do a couple of different strains the next run of 7 quarts.

Does anyone have a good recipe for using quarts for Pans? Or is it the same as if you are making BRF jars, just bigger and they have to be bulked out... am I missing anything? If so, we can take this off-line so I do not screw up Cats thread, thanks everyone!

1 to 1.5 in a jar is no-prep, I have used it with success many times, but now I steep, I find it works better for me.

Meyer, IMHO you're overthinking it. Get your technique down, and stop worrying about additions or getting too "super scientific", I know you want to play, and experiment, and adjust, and tweak, and add, and subtract, and combine and such, but those things are easier when you have a flawless process that you can repeat.

Here is a condensed and simplified version of the aforementioned technique (which I intended to include in the first post anyway):

Hydrate grain (no prep or steep)

Put in jars

PC jars 90-120min

Inoculate jars

Wait until the jars are 100% colonized (shake at ~30%)

Pasteurize coir and dirt for at least 2 hrs but longer equals a better chance of success in my experience. I do mine for ~8 hrs

You can even skip dirt and do coir only:

( https://mycotopia.ne...lk-invitro-bag/ )

Spawn jars to your fluffy moist just pasteurized substrate at a 1:3 ratio

wait until fully colonized (usually 2 weeks)

put into fruiting conditions, 

wait another week

eat tons of mushrooms

rinse and repeat

You may benefit from starting a thread and laying out exactly what you plan to do,  we will all examine it and help along the way! I love you brother, you got this. Just pick a proven tek and follow it without changing anything.

Pans are another other species, that can be a little more finicky and require a little finesse, and growing them has a smaller margin for error than cubes IMHO.

https://mycotopia.ne...-pans-grow-log/

https://mycotopia.ne...-and-procedure/

https://mycotopia.ne...s-pan-cyan-tek/

Edited by catattack, 15 July 2016 - 07:46 PM.

• Chancey, Microbe, Heirloom and 3 others like this

#29 sedaeng

sedaeng

n≡ith≡r gφd nφr mαst≡r

• Black VIP
  • 319 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:02 AM

Hello again fellow mycotopiates. ...

Now mix 10 quarts of both together thoroughly. Excuse my french but FUCK field capacity, it's too wet IMO. I hydrate bulk sub so that it  holds it's form when squeezed, with no dripping. The incredible hulk couldn't get one drop of water out of my sub. ...

I did not get that tingly feeling when kerfuffled.

Nice write up Cat. Sharing is Caring! (elementary school saying?)

• jds, Microbe and Lakegal7 like this

#30 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,305 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:17 AM

Plus they require a more scientific approach and experiments that are repeatable blah blah blah, but you know this.

That is only if you have something to prove.

• jds, Juthro and Microbe like this

#31 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,799 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

Plus they require a more scientific approach and experiments that are repeatable blah blah blah, but you know this.

That is only if you have something to prove.

Well I'm certainly not going to advise other members to try things that require added steps just because I have a hunch that it helps. So yes @cue, I have a couple things to prove. I will report back!  :biggrin:

Good tip on the 'tips and hacks' thread by the way. Post more please!

Edited by catattack, 16 July 2016 - 10:23 AM.

• Teonanacatl38, jds, Microbe and 1 other like this

#32 meyer

meyer

Its better to burn out, than fade away...

• OG VIP
  • 1,037 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:37 PM

I think I will take you up on that Cat and start my Copy-Cat grow. Hopefully, I am successful, either way I will learn, which is the most important part to me.

I think I will also start another Pan thread since this will be my 3rd time trying to grow those lil fuckers! Eventually I will nail them bastards!

• Roasty McToasty, jds, Microbe and 2 others like this

#33 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

archive material

• CatsAndBats likes this

#34 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,045 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:59 PM

way to go cat!!! well written grasshopper. i feel lucky that you have mentioned my name :)
  • CatsAndBats likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!