• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,718 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:42 PM

When / how does bee balm go to seed? These flowered and were (happily) designated by bees!image.jpeg
  • goodnightmoon likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,008 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:26 AM

I went and did some reading.

Bee Balm - Bergamot 

Collecting Bee Balm Seeds

Bergamot grows readily from seeds. When collecting bergamot seed, time the collection to the maturity of the flowers. The bergamot seeds usually mature one to three weeks after the flowers bloom. You can test for maturity by bending the stem over a bag and tapping it. If brown seeds fall into the bag, they are mature enough and ready for harvesting. After collecting bee balm seeds, spread them on paper to dry for two to three days and store the dried seeds in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Propagating Bee Balm Plants: How To Propagate Bergamot Seeds, Cuttings And Divisions 
http://www.gardening...balm-plants.htm

Edited by Myc, 04 August 2016 - 07:41 AM.

• PsyBearknot and Juthro like this

#3 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,718 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:56 PM

Well either the flower heads have not matured yet or are past maturity and the seeds have blown out because I clipped 2 heads and got no seeds.

#4 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,008 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:15 AM

I'm guessing that these are your flowers - possibly at your living location.

It also looks like there is the remnant of a flower petal in your photo. Perhaps give them a little more time - up to 3 weeks after flowering according to the article.

You have me curious now. 

Keep at it and lemme know what happens. 

Second thought - do you have a microscope or a hand-loupe? 

#5 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,649 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:30 AM

Ive found that some plants really pose a problem when collecting seeds, the problem..

they seeds get eaten SOOO FAST.

Its like.. teh MOMENT the seeds are RIPE and MATURE, buds know it and they go to TOWN.

This is currently happening with my Siberian Kale plant...its LOADED with pods, im talking thousands...

but god damn if the beetles dont stop entering the pods and eating all the seeds, ima goign to have NONE!!!

so... been reading and doing my usual sprays.

The tulsi basil and spanish tyme have seemed to help a lot.

Its just a lot of spraying because when I spray... it fucking rains RIGHT AFTER...

but if i wait on spraying after teh rain.. it wont rains ofr fucking weeks... but if i spray.. BOOM rain somes to rinse it off..

Im getting fucked with by HARRP lol  lol lol

#6 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 5,008 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

Sounds like you've got yourself some sure-fire irrigation spray. 

If it works that good, I'll hit you up to send me some. 

As for the seed, I hadn't considered the bug angle. I have to watch the coneflowers to make sure and grab a couple of flowers before the birds find 'em. 

#7 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,649 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:29 AM

Sounds like you've got yourself some sure-fire irrigation spray. 

If it works that good, I'll hit you up to send me some. 

As for the seed, I hadn't considered the bug angle. I have to watch the coneflowers to make sure and grab a couple of flowers before the birds find 'em. 

dont even get me fucking started on the birds.

Ive been gardening for god damn almost 10 years now, "medium-large scale", NEVER HAD BIRD ISSUES.

But now... mother fuckers ate all my strawberries and NOW they are starting to fuck with my cherry tomatoes...

God damn greenhouses need to be finished already lol

• Myc likes this

#8 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,718 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

Alpha

What about this?

I ordered it along with my blueberries . Honeyberries and Aronia berries plants

https://www.berriesu...ables-p680.html

#9 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,649 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

Alpha

What about this?

I ordered it along with my blueberries . Honeyberries and Aronia berries plants

https://www.berriesu...ables-p680.html

I used to use that stuff... but now my strawberry patch is roughly... 50x25ft... and well.. all that netting 

gets to become a PITA real quick, especially if you get a raccoon or opossum stuck in it... that rips and tires it around 

the entire garden because it was struggling with the netting all night long.. only to find seriously wrapped up coon lol...

little bastards man.. I tell ya, you can sit back and try to THINK OF EVERYTHING about pesky animals.. but ill tell ya..

with my LITTLE EXPERIENCE... ive seen some funny damn shit happen haha  but what a MESSS things become. 

(im moving my strawberries into the gutter setup inside a CAGED area using chicken wire, it will be able to support snow loads,

but also have small enough holes to keep the bastard robins out)

and my tomatoes....ya, no way id be able to net all them.   

Ive gotten to the point where, when allowed, animals will reap MASSIVE yields from your crops resulting in HUGE

lose of profit for you and your efficiency plummets!!  

The apple orchard near me, finally installed deer fencing to protect the orchard. HOLY SHIT are those

trees LOADED, easily 2x the amount of fruit.

The gardner told me that he had to increase feeding teh trees because of how much more fruit they have.

The reward was WELL WORTH the overhead on the proper fencing.

But that netting WORKS AMAZING for just a few plants.

(ive tried it with blueberries.. teh deer RAVAGED the netting and ate the entire blueberry plants out of

spite i feel lol)  :P 

• PsyBearknot and Juthro like this

#10 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,718 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:32 PM

Damn

Makes the city cats if have to battle seem....fun!

I forget how large scale you are on so that makes sense.

I can only imagine the damage the coon did. My dog decided to play hop scotch across my squash and peppers chasing off a cat. Watched the whole thing go down. Lol
  • Il19z8rn4li1 and Juthro like this

#11 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,275 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

Just be glad you don't have any hungry swamp donkeys hanging around your garden :)

thudwick.jpg
  • Myc, PsyBearknot and Il19z8rn4li1 like this

#12 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,649 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:07 PM

Im not "large" scale... excuse me.. Id say more accurate... medium scale :) 

Def not small... 2 acres of gardens isnt small... but def not even medium though in the scope of things :P 

I got a lot of expanding to do lol. 

#13 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,718 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:36 PM

My goal is to build up to 1 acre in the next 5 years and then reevaluate
  • Juthro likes this

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,275 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:20 PM

I am definitely small scale here :)

I've got less the a half an acre of garden, I would guess closer to 1/4 acre. More victory garden'ish then anything else. But I love the fruits of my labor, and as this is only supplementing the diet of two people, it goes a long ways.

I PC'd myself 10 half pints of green beans out of the garden today (they all sealed, YEE-HA!). I figure 2 1/2, or 3 more harvests this size are left in the plants. We are pretty far north to be growing them, and they are pretty hit or miss (more often miss) around here, depending on the year.

I think climate change may be tossing us a bone on this one. Did I mention I've got corn producing ears in a low tunnel this year. That is historically not common at 60*33' North.....

Ow the times, they are a changing....
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#15 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,652 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:23 PM

Birds have become a huge issue here where they never used to.   They take all the chestnuts and walnuts, and they get a large share of the blueberries.   I don't know what changed.  The Stellar Jays are the worst for the nuts.  The berries go to the cedar waxwings and some others.   Squirrels take the hazelnuts.   Raccoons take apples, pears, and strawberries, not to mention chickens. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!