15 replies to this topic

#1 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:50 AM

So I found this paper on microwave sterilization, I chose to put it here because I am about to 'live' in mad scientists and will be testing all sorts of edgy methods. The paper is a reference and it was one of the more user friendly/easy reads that I found. Drink a cup of coffee to stay awake while reading. Page three is where it gets interesting. :tongue:

Summary:

The Effects of Microwave Radiation on Microbial Cultures Slobodan M. Janković, Milorad Z. Milošev, Milan LJ. Novaković Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Kragujevac, Kragujevac, Serbia

SUMMARY Microwaves are non-ionizing electromagnetic waves with frequencies between 0.3 and 300 GHz. Both humans and microorganisms living on the human body are exposed to significant doses of microwave radiation in everyday life. Whether and how microwave radiation could influence the viability and growth of microorganisms is the subject of this educational paper.

Download of entire paper:

Attached File  microwaveSterile.pdf   128.12KB   64 downloads

• coorsmikey, PsyBearknot, goodnightmoon and 3 others like this

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,869 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:45 PM

Nice find I'd like to read it one f these days!

#3 ShadyWays

ShadyWays

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:58 AM

So I guess it stands to reason that you'd have to nuke the jars or substrate separate from the items used for housing the substrate.  For example, if using jars the metal lids would need to be sterilized independently.  I think vermiculite contains aluminum and iron minerals, which could produce some interesting outcomes.

There's definitely an attraction related to speeding up the sterilization process, though.  I can't wait to hear more!

• CatsAndBats likes this

#4 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:10 AM

So I guess it stands to reason that you'd have to nuke the jars or substrate separate from the items used for housing the substrate.  For example, if using jars the metal lids would need to be sterilized independently.  I think vermiculite contains aluminum and iron minerals, which could produce some interesting outcomes.

There's definitely an attraction related to speeding up the sterilization process, though.  I can't wait to hear more!

I've sterilized vermiculite in the microwave tons of times, with no ill effects.

• ShadyWays likes this

#5 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,196 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

Sterlized without pressure?

#6 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

There are methods of sterilization that do not involve pressure. Irradiation, UV light, chemical, etc.. 

Microwave sterilization:

http://jcm.asm.org/c...t/6/4/340.short

http://onlinelibrary...04.02406.x/full

Chemical:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....df/11294738.pdf

UV irradiation:

http://www.fertstert...1227-8/abstract

Edited by catattack, 12 August 2016 - 01:09 PM.

#7 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,196 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:25 PM

Intersting , thanks. Was an honest question.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#8 Microbe

Microbe

Citizen scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:25 AM

https://www.cdc.gov/...ionMethods.html

#9 LordRigel

LordRigel

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:05 PM

Maybe microwaves can considered as a dessinfection method instead a sterlization method, 2014 papper ask about yeast and fungis who are, at a simple look of the literature, the principal enemies at the moment of fungal culture with the words "VIABILITY OF FUNGI DECREASED, VIABILITY OF ACTINOMYCETES INCREASED". For me when something got decreased and reach a full nutrients substrate will be recovered. 77's paper dont ask nothing about this matter, only about bacterias, and now I know they can be avoided with the microwaves in a high range. My knowleadge of phisics are very limited and cant uderstand how can work the another energy, the "non-thermal".

Thanks for the pappers, I read many experiencies with a microwave dessinfection vermiculite and maybe it work because vermiculite get a very high temperature, dont know rlly. I'll try an experiment with some strains of yeast and other ambient fungus like Aspergillus sp. in a vermiculite medium. How much time you put you vermiculite to "sterilize"?

Cheers.

#10 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:17 PM

I only use the microwave in a pinch if I'm pressed for time. I do three 2min runs with vermiculite that's at "field capacity", shaking in between runs with the lid on (lid is on loosely on top during the microwaving).

#11 goodnightmoon

goodnightmoon

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

Eh, today I checked the resurrected shroom-site of my country (http://www.exkalapalatt.com/) and wondered, how many technologies to do sterilization with. 

UV-C germicid lights are used in hospitals, but if anyone are so eager to try that I should warm that one of the forum members really hurted oneself with that with just 2 mins of light on his eyes. I mean I doesn't get why anybody want to because there are easier methods, just saying. Be safe! :)

Edited by goodnightmoon, 20 August 2016 - 06:13 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#12 LordRigel

LordRigel

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:26 AM

Eh, today I checked the resurrected shroom-site of my country (http://www.exkalapalatt.com/) and wondered, how many technologies to do sterilization with. 

UV-C germicid lights are used in hospitals, but if anyone are so eager to try that I should warm that one of the forum members really hurted oneself with that with just 2 mins of light on his eyes. I mean I doesn't get why anybody want to because there are easier methods, just saying. Be safe! :)

These lights are very harmfull for eyes and skin if get exposed. I use one to sterilize a biosafety cabinet surface, completly closed and await from the room, the spectrum irradiate for 15min. These light cant be used to sterilize solid things, I guess only surfaces and some flats things.

That site is in which language? Look interesting, chinese for me.

Cheers.

#13 goodnightmoon

goodnightmoon

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:46 AM

@LordRigel:

Hungarian :)

Edited by goodnightmoon, 21 August 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#14 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:20 PM

This is a great little paper that I found today, it has very clear pros and cons of various disinfection, sterilizing, and sanitizing techniques.

Disinfection and Sterilization in Health Care Facilities:
What Clinicians Need to Know

Attached File  sterilization.pdf   242.57KB   11 downloads

#15 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 496 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

You can get microwave pressure cookers now, unless you get the expensive one the cheaper ones work ok.

Not a massive amount of internal pressure, but microwave + some pressure is still better  :)

MPC.png

• CatsAndBats likes this

#16 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,526 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

pressure, heat AND irradiation! cool!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!