• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:57 PM

I would go ahead and make a write up based on what you do, I've read many things correct and incorrect (or at least need updating), by any mentioned author.

There is actually a calling for the cold method, beneficial bacteria can improve decay, add-release nutrients and defend from pathogens.

Of coarse total yield will lower, and this is due to the micro-organisms taking what they needed to reproduce-other.

#22 Microbe

Microbe

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

• OG VIP
  • 3,396 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

Sterlized without pressure?

Depending on the level of sterility. I've had good results achieving at least pasteurization with the water only method with straw. Soak your straw until anaerobic bacteria predominates then pull it out and oxygen becomes the sterilant. I've not done this with manure based substrates though. Only straw. Works great though.
That is actually a very cost effective method. I think it's called cold pasteurization. It works by submerging the the straw in water for X amount of time creating a anerobic environment killing all the aerobic microbes and then when it is pulled out and exposed to O2, the anerobic microbes die. This method combined with lime, is very effective. I recommend using line when relying on this method to deal with the facultative and areotolerant anaerobes that may be present.

#23 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

[^._.^]ノ彡 & /|\( ;,;)/|\

• OG VIP
  • 9,780 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:23 PM

Sterlized without pressure?

Depending on the level of sterility. I've had good results achieving at least pasteurization with the water only method with straw. Soak your straw until anaerobic bacteria predominates then pull it out and oxygen becomes the sterilant. I've not done this with manure based substrates though. Only straw. Works great though.
That is actually a very cost effective method. I think it's called cold pasteurization. It works by submerging the the straw in water for X amount of time creating a anerobic environment killing all the aerobic microbes and then when it is pulled out and exposed to O2, the anerobic microbes die. This method combined with lime, is very effective. I recommend using line when relying on this method to deal with the facultative and areotolerant anaerobes that may be present.

Which is basically what a brine ferment is doing, using lacto baccilus methinks. Like for sauerkraut or like the hot sauce some of us have been making:

post-147940-0-57098700-1509993998.jpg

I forgot to tell y'all that I started to make fermented hot sauce too. Above is round two of serrano chili pepper hot sauce ferment that I started today.

Salt, serranos, whole pepper corns, whole garlic and some fresh herbs from the garden.

I just recently watched the ferment episode of "cooked" by Michael Pollan. I'm a huge fan of his books and this documentary series is outstanding. Here's the trailer, it's on Netflix streaming:

[Direct Link]

Here's the fruits of my former efforts!

post-147940-0-22613600-1509994572.jpg

from here: https://mycotopia.ne...auce/?p=1342405

Edited by CatsAndBats, 08 November 2017 - 04:31 PM.

#24 Ferather

Ferather

Mycological

• Free Member
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

Effective Thermal Inactivation of the Spores of Bacillus cereus Biofilms Using Microwave.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!