PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:31 PM

Been looking into berries
Got some goji and elderberry plants this month
Then read about honeyberries and how nutritious they are

Anyone growing them ? Any suggestion on varieties ?

#2 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:16 AM

i have goji, it doesn't seem to like our climate much. always dies when it gets to

the hottest part of the summer but it comes back every spring so whatever. 

isn't honeyberry another member of the rubus genus? 

all the "look at how much nutrition this stuff has" is just buy me garbage. conditions

are everything in how nutritious a crop is going to be. david wolfe is just terrible, that 

dude is nutritional quackery at the worst. 

#3 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:17 AM

FWIW- goji is nothing like what you buy in the stores, the fresh berries taste more like a tomato than anything. 

#4 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:29 AM

i have goji, it doesn't seem to like our climate much. always dies when it gets to
the hottest part of the summer but it comes back every spring so whatever. 

isn't honeyberry another member of the rubus genus? 

all the "look at how much nutrition this stuff has" is just buy me garbage. conditions
are everything in how nutritious a crop is going to be. david wolfe is just terrible, that 
dude is nutritional quackery at the worst.

Interesting...was not familiar with David Wolfe. Interestin read on the "scam"

Raw food diet - super food - ya all buzz words for marketing. I think there IS benifits for these however nothing is one size fits all for nutrition / food. Some universal bad but ya....

I defenatly understand the condition / nutrition factor but I think there are some food sources have more potential to pack a punch then others. So in my smaller urban space I need things to be as multifunctional as I can...looks cool visually, produces edible food, as high of a production level as I can....ect.

So if I can get something like berries that pack a nutritional punch that can be eaten raw, cooked, dried, pies jams/jelly wine...Ect then I'd choose that over others.

Honeyberry is in the honeysuckle family....genius Lonicera.

My goji tastes like a cross between a slightly sweet tomato with a light jalapeƱo flavor on the back side with out the heat and add some bitter.
I have had the "lifeberry" and "sweetberry" named goji's and they are much closer to store bought sweetness and size.

But mostly I just want cool Berry plants I can go munch on when desired. (Can make tea outta blueberry my leaves as well!)

#5 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:02 AM

Psybearknot, a very good description of the goji berry taste. I have several plants scattered around the yard for the same reason, just to nibble on as I walk. A few berries are dehydrated to throw in soup and yogurt over the course of the winter.

Honeyberry is something I just added this year, 4 varieties of plants were placed in my backyard garden but only 2 have survived the summer heat and drought we are having. They were added just to increase diversity, no specific dietary need requirement. So it will be 2-3 years until I see a little fruit to try.

I was just excited because my first jujube's are showing up this year.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#6 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:09 AM

GLP
I have read a coulle places that the honeyberry will drop its lesves during the heat of summer snd only leave little buds that will grow back

Edited by PsyBearknot, 13 August 2016 - 11:10 AM.

#7 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:23 PM

Does that mean that dead brown and cracking limbs will grow back, if so Yah! I think these are a little too far gone, they did not have much time to get the roots established. We tried to water them well each night but the day would just scorch them in one days time. But I keep watering them in hopes they will come back.

#8 T0them00N

T0them00N

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:14 AM

Don't have goji (doesn't sound like i would use them much either) raspberries blackberries strawberries and kiwis all have done well for me, and we have had a few weeks this year with 110 degree weather. raspberries have produced in small clusers all the way until frost and grown prolifically too. All are grazed on while in the garden along with stone fruits :*). Good stuff! I do agree variety is key
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#9 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:54 AM

Does that mean that dead brown and cracking limbs will grow back, if so Yah! I think these are a little too far gone, they did not have much time to get the roots established. We tried to water them well each night but the day would just scorch them in one days time. But I keep watering them in hopes they will come back.

It's dead Jim!

Ya I'd vote for not coming back. Unless there is still root mass live. Could still out out next year. Or could water dead twigs till next year.

Which variety survived.

I got a boralis and midnight blue.
Gonna go container for first couple of years.
  • GLP likes this

#10 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:13 PM

I will have to look Psybearknot, traveling for work so when I get back home I will take a look and let you know.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#11 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:19 PM

Well contrary to popular belief, even Master Gardeners can kill plants. In fact, if anything we know how to kill them faster is all.

I planted the following varieties of Honeyberry at the end of Spring.

• Blue Belle
  • Blue Moon
  • Polar Jewel
  • Blue Velvet

The only variety still around after the hot dry summer we have had is the Blue Belle. Not sure if I can get more to plant in the fall, will have to start looking quickly. :tinfoil:

#12 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:51 PM

Gurneys and berries unlimited have them still available. I just got a midnight blue and a boreals. I have never ordered plants online before. These seem a little rough.

Got them repotted. Need to head to the big box for ingredients to repot my blueberries too!

#13 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:31 AM

image.jpeg

A little rough lookingimage.jpeg

Edited by PsyBearknot, 22 August 2016 - 10:47 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,296 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

I agree with you on them being a little on the ruff side. I hope you can TLC them back to health.
  • PsyBearknot likes this

#15 Sade

Sade

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 413 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:19 PM

What kind of soil did you use for the plants? Also soil looks a little dry. I would give straight water for now. Then when healthy signs of growth maybe add z little nitrogen?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

#16 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

I agree with you on them being a little on the ruff side. I hope you can TLC them back to health.

From the reading I have done the Honeyberry will shed all of its leaves during summer and start to develope new leaf sites in the fall to prep for a very early berry production. Supposed to be some of the first to fruit in the year. N
  • Juthro likes this

#17 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

What kind of soil did you use for the plants? Also soil looks a little dry. I would give straight water for now. Then when healthy signs of growth maybe add z little nitrogen?

It's a misc mix of FF ocean forest a misc bag of organic potting mix a bag of seed starting mix and a bag of perlite.

Yes it is dry I had not watered it into the pot yet.

Yes only giving water as this is more of a dormant period. I will pot it in the planter it will stay in next year right before it gets cold here.
I mainly needed to get it out of the 2 cm pots they were shipped in so I did not have to water them 5 times a day!

Probably won't fert them this year...just a good healthe soil and mulching on top.

#18 Sade

Sade

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 413 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:45 PM

It's a misc mix of FF ocean forest a misc bag of organic potting mix a bag of seed starting mix and a bag of perlite.

Yes it is dry I had not watered it into the pot yet.

Yes only giving water as this is more of a dormant period. I will pot it in the planter it will stay in next year right before it gets cold here.
I mainly needed to get it out of the 2 cm pots they were shipped in so I did not have to water them 5 times a day!

Probably won't fert them this year...just a good healthe soil and mulching on top.
FFOF can be on the hot side for nutrients. I didn't realise the plant shed its leafs it should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

#19 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,371 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:31 PM

They bounced back can't wait for next seasonimage.jpeg
  • Juthro likes this

#20 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 5,296 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:34 PM

I'm glad they recovered for you, Psy. :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!