33 replies to this topic

#1 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 94 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:29 AM

I am looking for a good recipe to start making my own catsup, just simply tired of the watery liquids that they try to pawn off as a condiment. Also I do not like the way that they process the product, scooping the dredges from the field to make a condiment that has the highest parts per unit of insect parts. You will never get rid of all the insects, but the commercial products contain 30 fruit fly eggs per 100 grams or less to be considered Grade 1. I think we can do better than that.

So if you have a recipe to share, I would like a deep red almost crimson color catsup that have p[plenty of spice and depth of body. Not a hot sauce, but something you can tell was made from scratch and has love in it. Got a good recipe to share?

• whitethumb, Juthro, Heirloom Spores and 2 others like this

#2 catattack

catattack

Mycotopia's beast coast day shift helper. [^._.^]ノ彡

• OG VIP
  • 6,593 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:39 AM

"catsup"

• whitethumb likes this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,203 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:24 PM

Hey, GLP. My mother-in-law makes the best catsup. I don't like the commercial version and avoid it, preferring to eat my fries and tots plain, but the stuff she makes is killer.

I will try and get a copy of the recipe and post it. I do know it takes a whole lot of tomato's, and it wouldn't be an option if they didn't grow their own.
  • whitethumb, Heirloom Spores and GLP like this

#4 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 94 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

Juthro, much appreciated. Large batches might be the only way to make it, but it is not something you have to make each year either. Cannot wait to see what it contains. Thanks again.

• Juthro likes this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,203 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

I do remember it takes all day to reduce it down, and it ends up about half of the volume you started with. She added all kinds of things, and I wasn't there for the first part of the operation, so I don't know for sure what.

And she had ran it though a hand cranked food mill to remove seeds and skins, too(IIRC, she was making a big batch about three years when we were visiting)

My wife says she doesn't have the recipe, so we'll have to ask her mother. I've got no problem doing it, but this could take a day or two, I just wanted to be upfront so you know.

For the record though, it's so worth the wait :) This stuff tastes the way it's 'sposta taste, and it pressure cans well in jars for long term storage.
  • whitethumb and GLP like this

#6 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 94 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:35 AM

Juthro, that sounds like the recipes I remember making when we were children. I appreciate the effort to get the recipe. My Wife is the canner of the family, she has all the equipment you mention and even more.

I am the dehydrator and also staring to look at fermenting as a means of preservation and changing the taste of everyday items. Between the two of us, we can cover just about anything we need to. Thanks again.

Catattack, two spellings for the same condiment. See below.

http://mentalfloss.c...chup-and-catsup

Edited by GLP, 14 August 2016 - 07:37 AM.

• Juthro, Heirloom Spores and catattack like this

#7 catattack

catattack

• OG VIP
  • 6,593 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:49 AM

There's only one spelling!

Sounds like you're wife already has the equipment for you to start dabbling in our hobby!

• GLP likes this

#8 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 94 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:55 AM

Catattack, really really! One spelling depends on where you are in the country or what country you are from. catsup.jpg

• Heirloom Spores likes this

#9 catattack

catattack

• OG VIP
  • 6,593 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

I refuse to bow down before the Heinz/Kerry overlords! Catsup for me.  ;)

• Discretion and Heirloom Spores like this

#10 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,203 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:37 PM

We talked to the in-laws on the phone last night, and they are going to e-mail me a copy of the recipe.

They did share that it takes about 20 to 25lbs of tom's to get about 6 or 7 half pints of finished product. They also said that if you were using paste tomato's (like roma) they have less water and you will get a little more yield from them (maybe 18lbs for a batch). They also said that the 'cooking down' process takes about 10 to 12 hours, so plan a long day.

Its a lot of work for not many jars, but they do it to use up surplus tom's from a very prolific garden. That and the finished product is the bomb :)

I'll relay the rest of the ingredients when I get them.
  • Heirloom Spores and catattack like this

#11 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,046 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Juthro , I take it you will post a recipe, we need to save all this info for ourselves and future generations.

I had a chance to learn so much in my early years but I was to busy with nothing and missed my opportunity.

I used to collect cook books .

peace

• Juthro likes this

#12 rainbowsmurf

rainbowsmurf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:43 PM

I have a recipe i used to make when my Things were small. Will dig it out and post x

#13 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 94 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:55 PM

Juthro, thank you again for the effort. Patiently waiting like a shroom in shite.

Rainbowsmurf, curious to see what your recipe looks like. I would like to try several to see what the family likes best.

Catattack, Whew I thought you were upset because you thought they used real cats for the catsup. :tinfoil:

• Juthro likes this

#14 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,203 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:36 PM

Alright, there were some technical issues with trying to send a copy of the recipe, so I just had them read it off to me over the phone.

They start with a full basket of toms, (about 20 to 25lbs), chopped in half or quarters and placed in a large stock pot.

to this you add
1 tsp salt
1 med yellow onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2tsp cayenne pepper
1Cup brown sugar
1/2tsp dry mustard
1/4tsp ground cinnamon
2 cloves

Cook the tom's and other ingredients for about an hour, or until soft enough to run through the food mill to remove skins and seeds.

Put 2 1/2 or 3 cups of apple cider vinegar(5%) in a pan with 1 1/2 TBS of celery seed. Let simmer for 30min. Strain seeds (or make a 'tea bag' out of cheese cloth and soak that for the 30) and add vinegar to tomato mix.

Continue reducing tomato mix until desired thickness is achieved (takes all day)

Then PC them @10psi for 15min in half pints, or pints.

Enjoy

Edited by coorsmikey, 14 October 2016 - 05:58 PM.
Added missed ingredient per future post

• whitethumb, fungi2bwith, Discretion and 2 others like this

#15 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,046 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:09 PM

Thanks , I'll write this down.

peace dude

• Juthro likes this

#16 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,203 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:31 PM

Holy crap! I forgot the salt! There is 'sposta be a 1tsp of salt added when you mix the first ingredients with the tomatoes.

Sorry, I was smoking a J, and talking on the phone while trying to type....

This sauce does not taste like commercial catsup, BTW. It's a little spicy, a little vinegary (its got a little 'twang'), and a lot of flavor.

But the ingredients can be changed up for personal taste, though. So if you like it sweeter add more sugar, or pull some of the cyanine or dry mustard if you don't like it spicy. Some people don't like the cinnamon and clove, ect..... You get the idea.

EDIT: I was double checking my recipe to make sure it safe by modern canning standards, and found this recipe.
http://nchfp.uga.edu...rn_ketchup.html

The NCHFP is a great resource for things like this, and I trust them as much as Ball's Blue Book, and I generally like their recipe's better, though I haven't tried this one yet.

Edited by coorsmikey, 14 October 2016 - 06:00 PM.
1 tsp salt was edited into above recipe

• whitethumb, Discretion and GLP like this

#17 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 94 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:00 PM

Juthro,

Thanks for the recipe and the follow up on the salt. I am sure it would be missed. I think I will convert both recipes down to a single quart and try both. In talking with the Wife she said also that water bath canning should be okay due to the acid level in the tomatoes but I asked her about the addition of the brown sugar and she had a blank look on her face. So they might get a pressure canning cycle to be safe.

I will let you know how the progress goes. Thank you again.

#18 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,203 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:49 PM

LOL, I too am sure that the salt is important! I like low salt things, but no salt often sucks :)

The NCHFP says their recipe is safe for water bath canning, but with all of the ingredients I personally would be tempted to PC it to be sure I was safe. That and I just prefer using the PC over the water bath.

I look forward to hearing about your results :)

Edited by Juthro, 17 August 2016 - 12:53 PM.

#19 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 927 posts

Donator

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:43 PM

damn i bet it's worth it. need to get off my lazy behind and try this lol
  • Juthro and catattack like this

#20 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,742 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:53 PM

you should check out some lacto fermented ketchup recipes,

i prefer it by a longshot to the "dead" stuff. 

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!