#21 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,385 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

I've never tried any fermented catsup, KC. Sounds good, thanks for the heads up.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#22 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:52 PM

I agree, never thought about fermented ketchup. Not enough time for a design of experiments here, might have to settle for the fermented recipes on round two. But I sure like the idea to keep it live. Thanks!

#23 rainbowsmurf

rainbowsmurf

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:22 PM

Homemade tomato ketchup

1,5kg tomatoes, roughly chopped

1 large onion, roughly chopped

4 garlic cloves 

1tsp salt

150g caster sugar to cool and then seive if you want it smooth

200ml red wine vinegar

half teaspoon of cayenne pepper

15 g butter

Method

Put everything into a large pan, except the butter

cook over a very low heat for 2 hours, stirring occasionally

Remove from heat, .

Stir in the butter. Allow it to  cool and sieve it 

Pour into sterilised bottles and seal. 

It is that easy and tastes good too, 

• whitethumb, Juthro, Discretion and 2 others like this

#24 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

Dang, they all sound good. Maybe I am just hungry right now. Thank you all for the recipes and suggestions, plans are to try them all.

Vince

• Juthro and rainbowsmurf like this

#25 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:12 PM

Juthro, I am cooking down your recipe now. I roasted them over the grill to create a little charring for flavor and to help the skins come off. Cooked them down a few hours yesterday and ran them through the food mill this morning. Low and slow all day to reduce it down, smells wonderful.

Rainbowsmurf, your recipe will be in a few weeks when we get done traveling.

Thanks! :tinfoil:

• Juthro and rainbowsmurf like this

#26 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,385 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:56 PM

Juthro, I am cooking down your recipe now. I roasted them over the grill to create a little charring for flavor and to help the skins come off. Cooked them down a few hours yesterday and ran them through the food mill this morning. Low and slow all day to reduce it down, smells wonderful.

Rainbowsmurf, your recipe will be in a few weeks when we get done traveling.

Thanks! :tinfoil:

Sorry, I missed your post. I am curious how it turned out for you.

I like the idea of putting a little roast/char flavor in the mix, that should go well with the flavor.

And as an FYI, the best way we (my wife, and I) have found to skin tomatoes, is to freeze them, and then place them in warm water. The skins come right off this way.

This also works well for us cuz we don't have that large of a garden, and don't often have enough tom's ripe at the same time to process efficiently. So we just freeze them as they become ripe, and then thaw/skin them when we have enough to process. Works well for us anyway.
  • Discretion likes this

#27 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

Juthro,

The skins started to come of easily on the grill, I used Roma's to start with a meatier tomato but the skin came off before the tomato really softened. This made the food mill work a little rougher but manageable.  Maybe it would be batter to roast them in the oven and after skins are removed place them in the smoker for an hour or so. Just wondering...

I have pictures that I can post this weekend, I am traveling right now without access to them. The recipe tasted great but a little too much vinegar for us, I need to cut that back just a little more next batch. But a solid win for the home team. :tinfoil:

• Juthro likes this

#28 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,385 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:27 PM

I typed a long well thought out reply and my system locked up, lol. Now you get the cliff notes.

I'm glad you liked it, and look forward to seeing the pics.

Peace,
Juth

#29 Discretion

Discretion

big ol pile of flapjacks

• OG VIP
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:07 PM

Many thanks to you guys that posted recipes, I can't wait to try this shit out! I agree that most store bought ketchup (apparently I'm in that part of the country) is sadly lacking.

reminded of it by the fly larvae in catsup comment... apparently the crunchy parts in fig newtons are wasp carcasses :)

200_s.gif

• Juthro likes this

#30 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:52 AM

Here you go Juthro and others, we always make the first recipe verbatim and make adjustments after that. I used the 2-1/2 cups of vinegar a little strong for our taste, we will cut this down slightly the next time. The final product has a good blend of spices and bite, much much much better than the store bought variety.

Ketchup1 Sm

Charred on the grille to add flavor

Ketchup2 Sm

Used a food mill to remove any pulp or seeds, leaving the liquid only.

Ketchup3 Sm

Bring this to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer, this will be the time consuming part of the process. Cooking it down to the desired consistency can take all day.

Ketchup4 Sm

The final product, thick enough not to run of anything you put it on but still can be squeezed from a bottle.

• Juthro likes this

#31 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,385 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:14 PM

Nice write up and pics, GLP. Thanks for sharing your results. I agree with you, the vinegar bite this catsup has is pretty intense. I kind of learned to like it, but it was a bit of an acquired taste. I think mostly cuz its so different from what we see commercially. But I could see where it could appeal to a larger audience with slightly less vinegar 'twang'.

I feel guilty now, cuz I didn't document the roasted onion/pepper/garlic/tomato sauce we just canned up. We put the char on the mix in the oven. Let it sit in disposable pans (learned that lesson the hard way) at 475*. It gave it a pleasant light char flavor (after the smoke cleared from the kitchen, lol).

It also gets an extended cook on the stove to thicken, but not to the extremes that the catsup gets. It makes a great base for spaghetti, or lasagna sauces.

I can dig up the recipe, if anyone is interested. We are also about ready to do another batch of tomato sauce, but we are trying a new recipe to see how we like it. I will try and be more diligent and take some pics.
  • GLP likes this

#32 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:24 AM

Juthro please post the recipe, you can never have too many good recipes. It sounds tasty, cannot wait to try it while we can still get fresh local tomatoes. The Wife and I are negotiating canning pumpkins for pies, we canned long island cheese pumpkins a few years ago and we have just used the last up. After using those for pies I can no longer use the Hubbard squash they sell in place of pumpkin. :tinfoil:

• Juthro likes this

#33 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,385 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:10 PM

So here is the hybrid recipe for the roasted tomato sauce that we made the other day. It starts out (loosely) as the roasted romas recipe from Balls Blue Book. But I add some extra ingredients, so it gets pressure canned instead of water bathed.

We started with about 10 or 12 pounds of roma tomatoes (must be cut, or they will blow up in the oven during roasting), a couple of large yellow onions(quartered), several cloves of minced garlic, one large coarsely cut green pepper, and about a 1/4 cup of olive oil.

The mix gets put into a disposable roasting pan, and placed in oven at 475*F until most of the liquid has been driven off, and the skins are starting to show blackened spots. Our batch took a about 1 1/2hrs IIRC (but I wasn't timing it, so that's just my best guess).

The tomatoes are then ran through the food mill to remove skins and seeds, then the liquid and the other indigents are placed into the food processor and blended thoroughly.

This is now placed on the stove in a large pot to simmer down to the desired thickness.

It is then hot packed into pint jars, adding salt to taste (a little light of 1/4tsp for my taste, but I'm a low salt guy), and 1tsp of lemon juice.

Then PC'd @10lbs for 20min (25min for quarts)

I find the flavor is better if I add fresh herbs, and cooked meat (hamburger or sausage) to the canned sauce when using it, rather then canning the herbs and meat in the sauce.

That, and if you added meat to your sauce before canning, you would have to adjust your PC cycle time to whatever the meats requirements are.

EDIT: This makes about 6-8 pint jars of sauce.

Edited by Juthro, 15 October 2016 - 03:13 PM.

• GLP likes this

#34 GLP

GLP

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:29 AM

Juthro, Thanks this will be added to the list of recipes to try as quickly as possible. You are right regarding the herbs, some become stronger when canning so you do have to be careful which you add and at what time. Sage is one of them I remember well... Another story when we have a few drinks.   :tinfoil: 

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!