• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Gold VIP
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:02 PM

So I have a fully colonized jar of cracked corn and my next move is to pasteurize some straw and make a few hanging garden beds outside. I'll do one single layer of crushed spawn sandwiched between layers of straw.

Maybe cover with a trash bag to hold moisture until the straw is colonized. Thoughts on this?

image.jpeg
I don't think my jar will colonize any more from moisture in the bottom.

Edited by Nsnail, 22 August 2016 - 02:04 PM.

• Gnomesayin likes this

#2 outoforder

outoforder

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:24 PM

well looking great! congratulations!

its not alot of spawn youre dealing with here...   i would recomend a grain to grain transfer... then you could have at about 10 more glasses easy... i dont know how small/big your grow should be... you were talking about SOME hanging gardens..., smaller things are also drying out quicker... think of that...

well...  however... they will for sure grow well on pateurized straw... but you should take care of the spawn to substrate ratio!

i dont work with spawn that big... like corn... normally working with rye or birdsees like sizes... with smaller spawn you can distributethe mycelium  better throughout the substrate...

anyway... best wishes!

outoforder

#3 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Gold VIP
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:33 PM

Thanks will look into grain to grain for my next clone maiitake if it colonizes with no contamination. I realized how little spawn I actually had to work with when I transferred it....lol

I'm not too worried about drying out since both are covered with trash bags. I have yet to try wbs since cracked corn is so cheap at the feed store.

You'll see how big they are in my next post.

#4 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Gold VIP
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:47 PM

image.jpeg
Pasteurized my hay for an hour. Couldn't keep it at 160 even on the lowest setting.
The highest it went was 175, not too worried about that.

Let hay cool to below 100 degrees then made my spawn hay sandwich.
Covered with a trash bag to trap moisture and put bricks to hold down the bag.
image.jpeg
Hung to keep critters from digging for my corn spawn. It's on a patio with this cris crossed roofing that blocks a lot of sunlight.

image.jpeg
I made another karo jar yesterday and transferred some of the King oyster lc to it.
Thought the mycelium was worthy of a picture. Of course I shook it to pieces after this.

My next update will likely be progress of this lc until the straw colonizes.
  • Gnomesayin likes this

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 5,020 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:56 PM

i hope this work for you, but hay is not a good substrate as it id too green and has seeds.. you will soon have 2 buckets full of growing hay.. it is Straw that works well as a substrate. man i hate to be the bearer of bad news.. i guess just let them go and see what happens.  

#6 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Gold VIP
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:06 PM

Just checked them today and the mycelium is spreading faster than I would have expected on the hay. No signs of contamination yet.
  • sedaeng likes this

#7 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:59 PM

how's your project coming? kings outside on hay at this time of

year doesn't sound like a good combo. even if you fail it would

be nice to hear about it for research purposes.

• sedaeng likes this

#8 sedaeng

sedaeng

n≡ith≡r gφd nφr mαst≡r

• Black VIP
  • 316 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:43 PM

Snail, updates man, updates! 

#9 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Gold VIP
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:05 PM

Snail, updates man, updates!

as you all may have guessed the hay contaminated shortly after my last reply. A few things to note: my spawn ratio was not optimal, hay will only stay clean for a few days through pasteurization. I kinda set myself up to fail with this one.

I still have an lc of this same culture which I want to fruit atleast once so that I can get spores and get fresh mycelium growth.

Since posting this thread I've tried doing LC->straw with no additives which colonized but would not fruit, even tried inoculating pasteurized spent coffee (bad idea) which contaminated.

At this point I've got a brf cake almost fully colonized with it that I think is a good failsafe way to fruit this IMG_5897.JPG
  • Sidestreet likes this

#10 Needles

Needles

locked and Loaded

• OG VIP
  • 840 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:37 AM

Looks like you having good luck with your spawn. If you can get a couple jars of grain going then try a nutritional sawdust block. Kings like wood chips and sawdust. They also like a little cooler temperatures and lots of fae. Keep trying there worth the effort...
  • Arathu likes this

#11 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Gold VIP
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:22 PM

Looks like you having good luck with your spawn. If you can get a couple jars of grain going then try a nutritional sawdust block. Kings like wood chips and sawdust. They also like a little cooler temperatures and lots of fae. Keep trying there worth the effort...

Thanks for the tip. I don't have any sawdust but it do have a huge bag of wood chips. I'm thinking about doing wood cakes with 10% brf, cardboard in place of sawdust, and wood chips. Considering they like cooler temps I'll pull them out of the incubator

#12 burncitymyco

burncitymyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:59 AM

I don't have a source but I did hear that Kings struggle to fruit on plain pasteurised straw (PPS) - they do much better on nutrified-sawdust. I have a bucket of Kings on PPS, which I inoculated on 30/12/16, then started trying to fruit around 20 days ago. Colonisation was strong and healthy, but I'm still waiting for pins. I just gave it another cold shock a couple of nights ago and have introduced a lot more fresh air - I'm hoping I see some fruits.. But if not, I have 4 buckets of Kings on nutrified sawdust, which have only taken 14 days to colonise and I'm going to cold shock it tonight and hopefully see some action.

I will let you know the results!

Cheers
BCM

• Lakegal7 likes this

#13 burncitymyco

burncitymyco

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:26 AM

If you could get a hold of another Oyster strain that likes pasteurised straw and fruits horizontally, then maybe you could drill some holes in the sides of your baskets, put your spawn and pasteurised straw in a black plastic bag and put it in the basket, put a brick and a bunch of straw on top (for a bit of insulation), and then poked holes in the plastic bag through the basket holes? I'd put some porous tape of the holes until full colonisation. 

This way you would have to worry about it fruiting vertically. Hmm... I might try this, thanks for the inspiration!

Regarding obtaining a mushroom to clone cheap so you don't have to fork out: if you can get a fresh one from a farmers market or another grower, just chop the stem into bits and layer between soaked cardboard (like toilet roll), stack it a few layers high in a plastic container (like a take-out container) and then when you finish another roll you can soak it then add it to the container. Once colonisation is happening you can then peel off layers to add to more containers to create more cardboard spawn. When inoculating you straw you would then do a few layers of cardboard -> straw -> cardboard -> straw to allow it to colonise vertically and quickly before contaminants can set in. Simple cloning that doesn't require any sterilisation.

I've recently done this with a P. Ostreatus that fruited last week, within a week I had almost full colonisation of the cardboard and just moved it up onto more cardboard today.

Cheers, 
BCM

• Lakegal7 and Nsnail like this

#14 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

King oyster does prefer to fruit horizontally, but can also fruit vertically.

#15 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Gold VIP
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

For some reason Tapatalk doesn't notify me for new replies on any of my threads so I'm just seeing this now.

Where do y'all source your sawdust? I'm having trouble finding it locally.

Thanks for the great ideas, once it gets a little warmer here I'll try another outdoor grow. Lately I've been trying to clone portabello on agar which I'm still figuring out.

Here's an update on my brf king jar it's very close to being done.IMG_6133.JPG
IMG_6134.JPG
If you look at the bottom picture it seems to have a tiny bit of rice left to colonize. It's been almost 2 months colonizing. Not sure if I should fruit it now or wait a bit longer.

#16 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

https://mycotopia.ne...-psa/?p=1272576

Here's a look at a project I took on last year. 

In the final analysis, I harvested near to 20 lbs of oysters over a period of 45 days. 

I had fresh oysters in the 'fridge for weeks. Long enough for me to get tired of them for awhile. 

I source straw bales from a local farm supply store. If you keep an eye out, you can get the spoiled hay and the duff left over from the stack for free. 

Sawdust can be sourced from many hardwood lumber suppliers. These are becoming more and more rare as the craft of woodworking gives way to the 'modernized' world. Small cabinet shops would be a good place to get sawdust also. 

Or, sweep it up off of the shop floor if you have a woodshop. 

• Arathu, Needles and Lakegal7 like this

#17 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Gold VIP
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...-psa/?p=1272576

Here's a look at a project I took on last year.
In the final analysis, I harvested near to 20 lbs of oysters over a period of 45 days.
I had fresh oysters in the 'fridge for weeks. Long enough for me to get tired of them for awhile.

I source straw bales from a local farm supply store. If you keep an eye out, you can get the spoiled hay and the duff left over from the stack for free.
Sawdust can be sourced from many hardwood lumber suppliers. These are becoming more and more rare as the craft of woodworking gives way to the 'modernized' world. Small cabinet shops would be a good place to get sawdust also.
Or, sweep it up off of the shop floor if you have a woodshop.

I put my brf jar into fruiting today but there seems to be some confusion as to whether the brown in my jar is metabolites or contamination. It all smells like mushrooms.

#18 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 5,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

I think you'll be just fine.

As long as they smell like mushrooms, I always feel like the project is still healthy. I can't hurt to hang onto it for observation. 

Many edible cultures turn alarming colors - shiitake, reishi, ...... but I've never fruited King Oysters anywhere but outdoors. I have no indoor laboratory experience with this particular cultivar.  

• Nsnail likes this

#19 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Gold VIP
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:41 AM

Ended up scrapping it because I made a permanent hole through one of my SHIPs with a hot needle, which led to contamination of my lc. Fortunately I still have some of the original clone culture from almost a whole year ago. Man it's been a long time coming with this project.

Anyways I decided to do LC -> agar and then transfer from that.
IMG_6259.JPG
I'm no expert but I think the growth is healthy!
  • kcmoxtractor likes this

#20 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

that growth looks great, just be careful and you've got this. 

here's the bran method i wrote up, it works well with kings. 

https://mycotopia.ne...letsawdust-tek/

you can buy fuel pellets in most places that sell home heating

products or in a grill section, they're used for smoking meats. 

• Nsnail likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!