• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:19 PM

There are tons of ways to do it, think computer cooling or reverse central heating, both water (fluids) and air methods.

The cool humid air systems require exhausts and other devices, but they are more common when large.

Here is a semi-hobby basic design that allows for a cool humid air system and exhaust.

You will need something under the tent to catch any falling condensate.

Fruiting Chamber.png

• Nsnail likes this

#62 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

I just measured the temperature of the sump pit in the basement........56F............for sure things can be cooled by that. A barrel above ground draining water through a heat exchanger will have a pretty cool output with significant flow. Water cooled fruiting chambers, I like it. Good thinking guys!

• Nsnail and Ferather like this

#63 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

http://www.wpghci.co...w-it-works.html has a ton of info on geothermal heating and cooling. The scale they are referring to is for cooling an entire home so their design can be scaled down considerably. This idea is really coming together y'all. Looks like hdpe tubing in ground for a heat exchanger will be the most durable. Then transition to the copper in the fruiting area.

A google search of 'geothermal water cooling ' brings up some good info, seems a lot of people have had a similar idea for water cooling computers... crazy

Maybe I should start a new thread for this over in the mad scientist section of the forum.
  • Myc, Arathu and Ferather like this

#64 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:25 AM

IMG_6633.JPG

Had some king oyster pins begin forming invitro in the mini fridge, you can see a small cap formation if you look closely.

I've placed the jar into my fc so it can get much more airflow. Substrate is cardboard enriched with ferathers liquid miracle grow idea.
  • Arathu and Ferather like this

#65 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

That is a very big tuber, you did good with more FAE, it seems to have cleared up.

• Nsnail likes this

#66 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

AWESOME! Can't wait to see that bad boy grow out........

I'm toying with a fertilizer enriched cardboard/paper pellet/ sawdust log in a meter long bag (al la Ferather's recipes) idea.........pictures probably coming soon to my thread......

A

#67 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:43 PM

Caps are looking more pronounced today (first 24 hours in fruiting chamber) looks like multiple fruits will come out of this big knot.

Looking forward to making some spore prints of this strain.
  • Ferather likes this

#68 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:49 PM

IMG_6634.JPG
Compare to the last pic. Fresh air has made a huge difference in the past day for pin formation.
  • Arathu likes this

#69 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:16 PM

Fresh air is KEY.............very nice.......

A

• Nsnail likes this

#70 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:50 AM

Indeed, interestingly they will pin and produce stems without much O2, but cap, proper formation and direction won't occur unless O2 is correct.

Here is paper pellets enriched with my own recipe, the starter pin set was good, a massive pin set when the O2 value was better.

As you can see with the lid on, in pinned in the areas with most O2 (around the edges).

IMG_20170614_145213.jpg IMG_20170614_145250.jpg

• Arathu and Nsnail like this

#71 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,128 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:29 PM

So I know how my almost solid blocks of Elm Oyster will be treated.......that's why you want to be part of a larger "mycelium" like Topia and the greater OMC at large.........

Just like a mycelial mass we are passing information back and forth so that ALL can gather, understand, and apply it................

A

#72 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

Electronically passed blueprints, in non genetic format!

• Arathu and Nsnail like this

#73 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

IMG_6643.JPG IMG_6644.JPG

This knot appears to be gaining enough weight that it's starting to fall off the glass. These lil fun guys might not make it to spore production!

#74 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:12 PM

All pins I'm now sure are aborting. I think my next course of action will be to remove them and refrigerate these jars until winter
  • Arathu and Ferather like this

#75 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

I put my KO in the freezer for the exact same purpose (near winter, or cool for long periods), I had issues with temperature the most.

• Nsnail likes this

#76 Nsnail

Nsnail

Slug

• Free Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

Yep sure is picky about temperature. One day I will have a regulated climate for growing these year round.
  • Ferather likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!