Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

An Ordeal Report About My First Amazonian Tree-Frog Poisoning (Sapo, aka Kambo)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,693 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:45 AM

And yes, it was on purpose.

"Sapo" (or "Kambo") is one hell of a medicine. Emphasis on "hell" for the first 15 minutes, then "medicine" thereafter.

A friend who recently returned from Peru brought a bunch of the properly-collected venom back with him, and I got the chance to take a test-drive this past Saturday.

I had my session after he recovered from his, and we did it in the traditional manner (even using sticks from the Amazon to make the burns). It involves lighting the end of a small stick on fire, blowing it out, and making a slight, superficial burn on one's arm or lower leg about the size of a pencil eraser. The stick is re-lit and the process repeated until the desired number of burns (i.e. the dose) is reached.

After the burning, the outer skin layer (epidermis) peels right off, exposing the dermis layer (and lots of capillaries!). A small amount of dry venom is hydrated with some saliva (not water; the enzymes in saliva are essential for it to work right) and rolled up into what I can only describe as a small, sticky booger. My friend rolled up three venom-boogers and applied them to my burns and the fun began shortly thereafter.

[Note: By "fun," I mean the extreme polar opposite]

We did it outside on his deck since projectile vomiting is a very common reaction. I was somewhat apprehensive since I knew there was nothing pleasant about what I was about to experience and my friend's face was still swollen up to the point where he looked uncannily like a frog, which is also a relatively common reaction. He'd hurled some fascinating shades of green and orange fluid an impressive distance off his deck, and his eyes could barely open and he was still having some trouble speaking ~45 minutes after taking his dose, and it was now my turn...

I did a lot of research in the days leading up to it, so knew to fast for at least 6 hours beforehand (I fasted 12 to be on the safe side), not have any coffee/stimulants that morning (grrr...) and to drink a lot of water shortly before having my dose administered.

I took three "dots" of the traditional size (four is the maximum recommended dose for the size of the venom globs I was taking, which were roughly 4 to 5 millimeters in diameter).

I was sitting upright and breathing slow and deep (as suggested) and within about a minute my eyes got squinty as my head started feeling like a vise was being slowly tightened on my temples, followed quickly by a feeling of nausea that embodied the term "visceral" like nothing I'd experienced before; the feeling was clearly originating in my liver. It was the first time I could unambiguously visualize or "see" my liver (outlined in my mind's eye by the shock it was receiving, I guess) in the same way we "see" our stomach when we're feeling nauseated.

And then it got unpleasant.

I could barely sit upright, and my survival instincts were freaking out since my body damned well knew it was being poisoned, and when they kick in our survival instincts easily kick the crap out of our intellect and abstract reasoning abilities. So my knowing that it wasn't actually going to harm or kill me didn't help at all. My body knew it was poisoned, and felt like it was dying. It became too heavy to move (I was laying down at this point). I could barely lift one of my hands off the ground.

Recall the worst sugar-crash fatigue, the worst hangover body-load, and the most urgent sense of borderline panic from sensing your likely-impending death that you've ever felt... Now double their intensity and combine them all together into one completely and utterly overwhelming experience and you've got Sapo in a nutshell.

I sure was glad that I drank a liter and a half of water on my way over since I suspect it diluted the huge dose of bile released by my gallbladder (where the interesting colors in the vomit come from). I didn't end up vomiting, and my face only puffed up very slightly.

My "purge" came in the form of sweat, which began to flow from every pore in my body and continued for ten solid minutes. I sweated out that entire liter and a half of water (at least), and couldn't be any more soaked if I'd jumped in a pool with my clothes on.

The headache wasn't too bad, just a sense of pressure that wasn't as bad as some actual hangovers I've had, but the fatigue and body-load was so heavy that all I could do while enduring the "peak" was keep my eyes closed and breathe while repeating two thoughts over and over; the first was "keep..." (on the inhale) and the second was "breathing..." (on the exhale). The fatigue was that intense (i.e. thinking one word at a time was the limit of my cognitive abilities).

Keep.....Breathing.....Keep.....Breathing.....Keep.....Breathing.... (repeat for ~15 minutes)

The trajectory of its effects was very similar to that of vaporized DMT; rapid onset, extreme peak, then a rapid decline that left me back at baseline in about 15-20 minutes (or close enough to baseline to sit back up and start thinking "holy everloving shit that was gnarly...," at least).

Glad I brought a change of (dry) clothes, and after taking it easy for another hour or so I drove home feeling pretty good, all things considered. But the real test was seeing how I'd feel the next day, and I have to say I was most impressed.

As far as I'm concerned, Sapo definitely lives up to its reputation as a potent antidote to "brain fog" as well as boosting energy, vigor, and clarity. The very next day (Sunday) I spent 2 hours fixing a critical issue in a friend's attic for him (it was in the upper-80's with ~75% rH at the time, so it was rather "warm" up in his attic) and was amazed at how well I was tolerating it. I didn't even sweat a fraction as much as I had while I was enduring Sapo. My mental clarity and focus were noticeably sharpened and that has remained the case as of this writing.

Sapo works (does it ever), and while the benefits are profound, they are also most definitely earned the hard way. Fortunately (to say the least) our bodies quickly forget the acute, visceral intensity of the suffering endured to gain those benefits. And they have been profound enough for me to already want to do another session again soon. And no, I'm not a masochist (at all; my motto is usually No pain, no pain!).

My friend will be meeting up with his cousin to go bow hunting for hogs soon and they will be doing a Sapo session beforehand to see if it helps with success (another traditional use for it is to prep for a hunt). It reportedly eliminates our scent for a while as well as increasing visual acuity, hearing, and endurance so I can see how it would be handy for hunting.

This substance has been mentioned around here a few times in the past, and the relevant threads are chock-full of very informative and fascinating reading, which I highly recommend to anyone considering experiencing this VERY strong Medicine. It's not psychedelic per se (it is legal in the U.S.), but it's definitely a mind-and-body altering substance!

For further reading:

https://mycotopia.ne...946-kambo-sapo/

https://mycotopia.ne...n-bamboo-stick/

https://mycotopia.ne...g-nog/?p=492068

Peter Gorman's website:

http://sapoinmysoul.com/the-medicine/

• dead_diver, kcmoxtractor, PsyBearknot and 11 others like this

#2 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,836 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:01 PM

Thank you for enduring that experience and living to tell about it! Sounds challenging, to say the least. Interesting how it is used to sharpen hunting skills, yet renders you almost catatonic for the first while...and the super-powers begin somewhat later, eh?  Timing must be important, but I seem to remember natives doing it just before a hunt, presumably already familiar with it, so after a few sessions, it could effect you differently... more subtly maybe?

Ayahuasca was like that for me. Now its a wonderful buzz, when once it flat out killed me. Thanks for the awesome report.  I've always wondered if I should have a pre- hunt session with my Dad one day. That would be really kick ass! 

Edited by riseabovethought, 23 August 2016 - 02:11 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#3 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,039 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:32 PM

Very interesting. I somehow think that regardless of the research I could do on that stuff that I probably wouldn't do it lol. Props for having solid brass balls lol because that  is what it would take to put yourself through that experience. Good stuff and interesting to read for sure!

• TVCasualty and fungi2bwith like this

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,016 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:10 PM

Report reminded me of my first Amanita muscaria experience when I ate half of a fresh, four inch, mushroom raw, stem, warts, and all (split down the middle).   The main difference being the bad stuff lasted for quite some time.   The good stuff seemed to last forever, though it was only hours.   

• TVCasualty likes this

#5 Sade

Sade

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:31 PM

Report reminded me of my first Amanita muscaria experience when I ate half of a fresh, four inch, mushroom raw, stem, warts, and all (split down the middle). The main difference being the bad stuff lasted for quite some time. The good stuff seemed to last forever, though it was only hours.

I've had a couple experiences with Amanita Muscaria. I always hear them up to convert the harmful ibotenic acid to muscimol. I always get slightly nauseous and can barely stay awake. After this case though I normally get extremely happy and sizes are distorted. My dreams are extremely lucid and real feeling.

Sapo definitely sounds scary after you described it. Lol. All that energy could just be your body being so happy it's not poisoned.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
  • TVCasualty likes this

#6 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,016 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:56 PM

All that energy could just be your body being so happy it's not poisoned.

That was a consideration for me.   I was pretty sure I had fucked up big time and was likely dying.   It was my old lady who ate the other half, and we worked our asses off to keep each other awake through the sleepies.   Then someone told us that we should cook them, so we simmered a big pot of fresh ones and drank the liquid.   We both got the same horrible sick, without the high on the other side.  I never did A.m. again out of respect for my liver.

Edited by Alder Logs, 23 August 2016 - 08:57 PM.

• TVCasualty and Juthro like this

#7 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• Free Member
  • 3,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:17 PM

The only difference between poison and medicine is the dose. (I think Socrates or some other long dead smart guy said that)
Sounds like you went through an ordeal. But what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. (The guy that first said that is probably dead now too)
Hopefully it won't take more than just a couple more lessons to gain lasting benefits from it. The hard lessons are often the most important. I just made that up but I'm sure somebody that is dead now probably said it before me.
All kidding aside it sounds like you took part in a very worthwile experiment. Good job.

Edited by dead_diver, 23 August 2016 - 11:22 PM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#8 Sade

Sade

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:59 AM

All that energy could just be your body being so happy it's not poisoned.

That was a consideration for me. I was pretty sure I had fucked up big time and was likely dying. It was my old lady who ate the other half, and we worked our asses off to keep each other awake through the sleepies. Then someone told us that we should cook them, so we simmered a big pot of fresh ones and drank the liquid. We both got the same horrible sick, without the high on the other side. I never did A.m. again out of respect for my liver.
I was talking about the OPs body. Sounds horrible laying on the ground in pain and shaking.

I mainly just shave the top skin off of amanitas dry them and put them on top of a bowl of weed. Actually intensifies the high in my opinion.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

unnaturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,498 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

Where do I sign up? Goddamn dude, no thanks. I really appreciate you posting this though. Your posts are always extremely informative and eloquent.

• TVCasualty and Alder Logs like this

#10 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

Damn, TV, you 'da man! That's a little more hardcore then what I am prepared for though.

But as Cat said, thanks for sharing your experience with us. It was an amazing read, but I still think I'll pass on this one.
  • TVCasualty, Alder Logs and CatsAndBats like this

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 9,016 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:45 PM

Whatever doesn't kill you only postpones the inevitable.

I don't remember where I heard that.  

I do appreciate Teevee's OP.   I just knee-jerked back to my A.m. experience when I read it. 

• Juthro likes this

#12 goodnightmoon

goodnightmoon

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

@Tv how you feel different after the kambo ? I really wanted to try, there i a commune I know they do kambo and aya, but don't have the funds for it right now.

Although my (girl)friend, I mean my friend done it in that setting. She said the clarity you mentioned and that after she cannot tolerate chemical stuff of all kind (like washing powder, etc) for 2 weeks. And then she went more vegan and really use natural stuff, etc. She said she was more in tune what is good for her (body).

Despite the physical aspect definiatly wanna try some day because of the purging effect it has.

Thank ya for sharing your exp.

Edited by goodnightmoon, 24 August 2016 - 02:00 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#13 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,693 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:07 AM

The only difference between poison and medicine is the dose. (I think Socrates or some other long dead smart guy said that)
Sounds like you went through an ordeal. But what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. (The guy that first said that is probably dead now too)
Hopefully it won't take more than just a couple more lessons to gain lasting benefits from it. The hard lessons are often the most important. I just made that up but I'm sure somebody that is dead now probably said it before me.
All kidding aside it sounds like you took part in a very worthwile experiment. Good job.

This is a substance that's to be used as-needed; it's a medicine and not intended to be a source of insight into oneself. Granted, it does provide such by virtue of its sheer intensity, but it's similar to the kinds of insights gained by a traditional Sun Dance (as opposed to a psychedelic).

I've continued reading about it and from what I can tell, my dose was still relatively mild compared to the reports I've read from people who got their dose in the jungle, fresh off the frog. In light of my experience, that's kind of disconcerting (but I would still be willing to give it a go considering its beneficial properties, which seem to manifest in proportion to the strength of the dose).

There are probably other, less-intense ways to achieve the same results. But they would also probably take a lot longer to get to that point. I suppose Sapo is analogous to removing a band-aid by yanking it off in one hard, fast pull vs. slowly picking away at it for ten minutes.

If someone prefers the "let's just get it over with!" approach to band-aid removal then they're probably better-suited to using Sapo than someone who prefers to minimize any acute pain or discomfort in exchange for greatly prolonging the process.

• Sidestreet and SteampunkScientist like this

#14 BecomeTheOther

BecomeTheOther

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:46 PM

Awesome report
  • TVCasualty likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!