#1 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:33 AM

You may know them as “shrooms”, “Magic mushrooms”, psilocybic mushrooms, or you may not know them at all. They are a natural plant that, like marijuana, is banned by the U.S. Government. But like marijuana, these mushrooms may not be without medical properties. Like marijuana, they could deserve a place on natural medicine shelves for their ability to treat depression, eradicate mental illness, and improve cognition – not in police evidence rooms.

According to research from the University of South Florida, psilocybin, the active component within psychedelic mushrooms, is able to grow new brain cells—potentially offering treatment for mental illness and improving cognition.

The study, published in Experimental Brain Research, says psilocybin is able to bind to special receptors in the brain that stimulate healing and growth. In the case of these mushrooms, brain cell growth occurs. In mice, the researchers found psilocybin to actually help repair damaged brain cells and cure or relieve PTSD and depression.

Lead researcher, Dr. Juan R. Sanchez-Ramos, tested the effects of psilocybin by training mice to fear an electric shock when they heard a noise associated with the shock. Then, by giving them psilocybin, the mice were able to stop reacting to the noise-trigger much faster than those mice not treated with the mushroom compound.

“The proposition that psilocybin impacts cognition and stimulates hippocampal neurogenesis is based on extensive evidence that serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine or 5-HT) acting on specific 5-HT receptor sub-types (most likely the 5-HT2A receptor) is involved in the regulation of neurogenesis in hippocampus,” says Dr. Sanchez-Ramos according to NaturalNews. “The in vitro and in vivo animal data is compelling enough to explore whether psilocybin will enhance neurogenesis and result in measurable improvements in learning.”

Other research also shows that this same compound could greatly help with depression, helping the majority of participants in one study achieve great well-being.

Psilocybin is referred to as a “nootropic” agent, or one that has numerous functions in the brain that can improve hippocampus health. The hippocampus is part of the brain responsible for learning as well as converting short-term memory to long-term memory. New brain cells in the hippocampus from the psilocybin translates into a healthier and sharper brain overall.

The research on psychedelic mushrooms is limited—far more limited than the research on marijuana. Because these mushrooms are known for causing hallucinations, unguarded self-treatment isn’t recommended. However, this plant, like marijuana, does not deserve a place in the Schedule I classification of illegal substances. Like marijuana, the U.S. government has determined ‘shrooms as having no medicinal value’—an obviously-flawed determination.

Original: http://naturalsociet...ain-treatments/

Edited by hyphaenation, 28 August 2016 - 02:37 AM.

• roc, Sidestreet, MLBjammer and 15 others like this

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,825 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:22 AM

However, this plant, like marijuana, does not deserve a place in the Schedule I classification of illegal substances. Like marijuana, the U.S. government has determined ‘shrooms as having no medicinal value’—an obviously-flawed determination.

There's a new synthetic heroin called carfentanil that is causing an outbreak of overdose deaths in the midwest right now.  It is 10,000 times as strong as morphine and is used as an elephant tranquilizer. 

It's in Schedule II.

#3 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:13 PM

PCP, methamphetamine and cocaine are schedule II also. The DEA actually thinks cannabis is more dangerous than those substances. Stupidity like that puts the DEA and the governments credibility in general in the toilet.
If people really want to get cannabis and psilocybin reclassified there needs to be a campaign on social media across the web that points out that idiocy. A simple question like "Why does the DEA think cannabis is more dangerous than PCP?" repeated like a mantra would be enough to shame and embarass them into changing the classification. I'm sure NORML has enough money in their war chest to fund some public service announcements on TV and the radio asking that question. Make them look like the idiots they are and they will have to do something to regain credibility.
I honestly don't know why this hasn't been done already.
Methamphetamine and cocaine does have legitimate medical uses. But PCP? Seriously? WTF!

Edited by dead_diver, 28 August 2016 - 12:21 PM.

• roc, Sidestreet, wildedibles and 1 other like this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,230 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

I agree with you Dbl D, 100%  I know of no legit medical use for PCP, and even with amphedimenes, and cocain that do have uses, there are risks of dependency and overdose.   Not so with MJ.

But this is the same government that says MJ has no legitimate medical uses, but hold the patents on it's medical uses.    

• wildedibles likes this

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

I'm sure NORML has enough money in their war chest to fund some public service announcements on TV and the radio asking that question. Make them look like the idiots they are and they will have to do something to regain credibility.
I honestly don't know why this hasn't been done already.

I doubt they would get the PSAs on the air.   The Ministry of Propaganda, errrr..., the FCC, and the one percent of the one percent would desire otherwise.

• wildedibles likes this

#6 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:23 PM

They could rent billboard space, print t-shirts and bumper stickers. NPR radio stations would probably have no problem airing the spots.
What the heck does NORML do anyways beside ask for donations? With all the money they have received over the last 40 years or so you would think they would have their own political party and would be fielding a presidential candidate by now for gods sake.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they weren't a DEA front organization and all the money donated to them was going straight to the DEA to be used against us. That's the kind of sneaky underhanded shit I have come to expect from my government.

Edited by dead_diver, 28 August 2016 - 02:29 PM.

• roc, Juthro and Heirloom like this

#7 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

On a lighter note I had a nice morning diving with my metal detector at the beach. Didn't find anything but I saw a huge queen conch and hung out with a big school of sheephead for q while. There must have been at least 100 of them. Big ones too!
  • T0them00N likes this

#8 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:43 PM

Norml has even done crap that worked against legalization,  during the Carter administration - Keith Stroup screwed us over, he even said he was sorry decades later.

A long story , but the short is Stroup claimed him and a Carter drug advisor used coke and that turned Carter away from legal cannabis. Believing that cannabis did lead to hard drugs.

Only later it was revealed that then head of Norml made up the story. I won't send a penny to Norml , I bet they pay themselves a good salary.

( any one ever hear of the Human Ecology Fund? A Cia  corporation to gather money for black ops like MK Ultra )

Maybe Norml has done nothing because that's not the real goal?

If a person runs for a political office they cannot be turned down for tv or radio commercials nor billboards.

So to get the message out to the public we need people to run for office any office and with the financial backing  to release this info to the public.

To refuse to do TV/Radio commercials or billboards is illegal if the message is from a person running for political office.

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 28 August 2016 - 02:53 PM.

• dead_diver likes this

#9 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:38 PM

What is stopping us from forming a PAC - a Political Action Committee ? Whose goal is to bring better medicine to the people
 All the while educating them on the benefits of natural  medicines.

• dead_diver likes this

#10 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,825 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:19 PM

I get the sense that the DEA has way too much autonomy on this point and they are rarely challenged openly by anyone who can do something about it.  The ability to schedule substances should be taken out of their hands.  It's a conflict of interest. 

They're more interested in maintaining their relevance than the public good as society leaves them in the dust on the marijuana issue.

Maybe if they hired someone with some critical thinking skills rather than total zealots...

• dead_diver, roc and Juthro like this

#11 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:10 PM

I agree. The ability to classify drugs should reside with the medical and scientific communities. The DEA knows squat about science or medicine. They know how to be a bureaucracy and that's about all they know.
  • roc, Sidestreet, Juthro and 1 other like this

#12 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,537 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:53 PM

We all know the benifits here but I did want to mention a few more ........... by releiving cluster hedaches it proves right there it is doing something magical in the brain
With all the studies I have found that if there is anything out there that could grow brain cells back it will be a mushroom compared to plants because of the potential for crossing the blood brain barrier ......when I hit my head pretty hard I was eating small peices of Amanita muscaria mushroom and I believe I was better of for it ....that and smoking weed cannibonoids can help protect the brain ;)

The last couple weeks I have been picking pan foes not cause I think they r magic but because they have 5 htp well I buy this in capsule form cause they help me with my depression and migraines so why pay silly prices when I have free mushrooms in the yard :)

:) the next day after a good mushroom trip always leaves me feeling at peace .......
  • roc, Sidestreet, Alder Logs and 2 others like this

#13 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:20 PM

They could rent billboard space, print t-shirts and bumper stickers. NPR radio stations would probably have no problem airing the spots.
What the heck does NORML do anyways beside ask for donations? With all the money they have received over the last 40 years or so you would think they would have their own political party and would be fielding a presidential candidate by now for gods sake.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they weren't a DEA front organization and all the money donated to them was going straight to the DEA to be used against us. That's the kind of sneaky underhanded shit I have come to expect from my government.

You mean National Propaganda Radio?   I was on their late, great, forum in around its first year.   The learned they could not give their listeners that power and began undercutting us very quickly, and eventually took it down, killed it, in the early 2000s.  Their, and PBS's, boards of directors and CEOs were all cold warriors straight out of Radio Free America, Radio and TV Marti, The United States Information Agency, etc.    I doubt that has changed.    When the next incarnation of the Nazis arises, and the time comes to round up the "intellectuals," they will just check to see who were  the, "viewers like you."

Edited by Alder Logs, 28 August 2016 - 09:21 PM.

• wildedibles likes this

#14 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:26 AM

I had no idea NPR had been infiltrated. But I'm not surprised. That's where I used to listen to Alan Watts. Bummer

Edited by dead_diver, 30 August 2016 - 06:27 AM.

#15 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

• App Administrator
  • 8,825 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:35 AM

Their, and PBS's, boards of directors and CEOs were all cold warriors straight out of Radio Free America, Radio and TV Marti, The United States Information Agency, etc.

That's pretty funny considering the station is so commie today. ;)  Seriously, though, I wonder if they could have survived that era as a station without presenting an anti-Moscow affect.  Not saying it's right, just saying I'm not surprised.

Edited by Sidestreet, 30 August 2016 - 06:35 AM.

#16 T0them00N

T0them00N

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:20 AM

Dead diver: DEA and pharmaceutical companies are of the same

Wild edibles: headaches are the reason I've found this great community, i went to a doctor and he prescribed all kinds of this and that pills. After he was done he said "now don't go and try any other "medical" solutions they can just make this worse marijuana in particular" I kind of looked at him funny and asked him what the side effects of all the drugs he recommended me were. Needless to say I kind of laughed at him and haven't been back

Now, most media outlets won't challenge DEA (again, of the same) classifications ect. However I have been impressed with viceland as of late lets hope they stay on track
  • Heirloom and Spongegar like this

#17 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,055 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

wow ! hyphaenation,i can  this thread is a bit old but great info!

oes any one any more updates in this area ?

• Lakegal7 likes this

#18 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,211 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2018 - 03:53 PM

I was listening to Stamets yesterday talking about combining Lions Mane with your favorite magic... for perhaps that perfect brain -formula we've all been searching for...

Edited by riseabovethought, 21 November 2018 - 03:54 PM.

• roc likes this

#19 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,085 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2018 - 06:39 AM

I was listening to Stamets yesterday talking about combining Lions Mane with your favorite magic... for perhaps that perfect brain -formula we've all been searching for...

Paul has stayed true to the cause after all these years!
Kudos to Stamet!

• riseabovethought likes this

#20 raymycoto

raymycoto

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 618 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:52 AM

I know of no legit medical use for PCP

It has considerable use but it's generally considered a drug of abuse. It's the same as ketamine but a longer halflife. Ketamine is one of the most useful drugs of all times. But we don't need more than one of this class for clinical use and shorter is better so we use ketamine. Both have addictive potential.

The same can be said of the comparison between heroin and morphine.

Edited by raymycoto, 20 June 2019 - 11:52 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!