28 replies to this topic

#21 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,698 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:45 AM

Yeah, those cheese wheels are a real menace.

Edited by catattack, 02 September 2016 - 09:42 AM.

• August West likes this

#22 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,727 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:39 AM

This thread inspired me to smoke 4 lbs of Colby, and 2 lbs of Swiss this morning. I like to do it while it is still cold outside (we are getting down to the high 30's in the morning here), all the better to keep the cheese from melting while smoking.I'll smoke the regular cheddar tomorrow (I've got another 8 lbs in the fridge earmarked), that way I don't mix it up with the Colby.... again, lol.Then it'll be aged just about perfect, to give away as presents for X-mas :)

where the heck do you find a pipe that big in AK? I have hard enough time trying find one to smoke gram! You must have gotten your pipe from Tillmook online to fit 4 pounds in it. :)

LOL ! The trick to smoking that much cheese is remembering not to inhale...

Love you brother Mikey, but with that kind of behavior your going to end up with smoked limburger for x-mas :)
  • Heirloom and CatsAndBats like this

#23 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:47 AM

Wow, Juthro its getting cold there, glad your log splitter is working. Man you are on your own up there. I guess it's kind of nice,
to be on your own. Freedom 

I mentioned a high fat diet, I bet that eating a few pounds of seal fat is different that eating a few pounds of bacon or lard.

I have much to learn

• Juthro likes this

#24 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,698 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:00 PM

This thread inspired me to smoke 4 lbs of Colby, and 2 lbs of Swiss this morning. I like to do it while it is still cold outside (we are getting down to the high 30's in the morning here), all the better to keep the cheese from melting while smoking.I'll smoke the regular cheddar tomorrow (I've got another 8 lbs in the fridge earmarked), that way I don't mix it up with the Colby.... again, lol.Then it'll be aged just about perfect, to give away as presents for X-mas :)

where the heck do you find a pipe that big in AK? I have hard enough time trying find one to smoke gram! You must have gotten your pipe from Tillmook online to fit 4 pounds in it. :)

LOL ! The trick to smoking that much cheese is remembering not to inhale...

Love you brother Mikey, but with that kind of behavior your going to end up with smoked limburger for x-mas :)

I'll take one please.

• Juthro likes this

#25 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,727 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:00 PM

I think I'll personally stick with the bacon lard. No offence intended to my native brethren that enjoy traditional seal fat, but none for me thank you.

Here is a high fat, native of the North, treat that many love. It's non dairy and gluten free, Alder, so I'm pretty sure you can enjoy it, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akutaq

#26 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,727 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:07 PM

I would be happy to do that for you, Cat.

I've never smoked limburger, but I have smoked blue cheese before.

It made some wonderfully delicious dressing with a subtle smoked flavor. It was worth doing, and I definitely would do it again.

EDIT: I added a picture of the batch of cheese I put on the smoker this morning. This is four, 2lb blocks of medium cheddar, and one, 2lb block of white cheddar. They all get butchered down to aproximitly 1/2lb blocks, as increasing the surface area lets better penetration of the smoke. That, and they are a nice size for gifting, plus they are about cracker size for snacking.

2 hours of smoke, and then 3 or 4 to 'breathe', then they will get individually vacuum packed and refrigerated.

todays batch.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 02 September 2016 - 01:52 PM.

• Alder Logs, CatsAndBats and SteampunkScientist like this

#27 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:51 PM

I only had limburger when we finished a semester in German, I loved that teacher or had a crush on her. She brought in some limburger for the whole class. I liked her so much I took the Latin class she taught . I can still see her in my minds eye, a really good teacher and person. I can't say that about a lot of school teachers.

This makes me want to get a small amount of limburger.

out of like likes but wanted to point out not all high fat diets are the same. From what I hear the more you chew seal fat the bigger it gets, a tool for polar bear hunting  as I seen in Nannook of the North a 1937 film of an Eskimo life.

stay warm and well fed

Edited by Heirloom Spores, 02 September 2016 - 01:52 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#28 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,027 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:09 PM

I remember it being OK to cook with, but not the best if you were hankering for a hunk of cheese.

But that was a long time ago, and memories are subjective, (at least mine is).

[Direct Link]

I built a cold smoker something like yours Juthro and I love the cheese it makes! You can make a substandard cheese excellent and a good cheese off the chain.

smoker1.jpg
smoker4.jpg

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 08 September 2016 - 08:21 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#29 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,727 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:34 PM

Nice set up, SPS! You'll soon discover all kinds of things that taste better with a little smoke.

And yes, I was thinking about that old Timer cartoon when I wrote that post, lol :P

Edited by Juthro, 08 September 2016 - 08:34 PM.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!