Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

DEA to Place Kratom, Mitragynine On Schedule I 9/30/16

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#1 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,403 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

The DEA Is Placing Kratom And Mitragynine On Schedule I

http://www.forbes.co...s/#5cfa8579245f

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

The kratom plant, Mitragyna speciosa, produces medicinally important alkaloids that are increasingly known to be of potential medical benefit, but with questionable abuse potential. Photo credit: Shutterstock

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency has filed a notice of intent (PDF) to place the southeast Asian plant called kratom to the most restrictive classification of the Controlled Substances Act. The plant, Mitragyna speciosa, and its two primary constituents, mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine, will be temporarily placed onto Schedule I on September 30, according to a filing by the DEA at 8:45 am Eastern time today. The full announcement is scheduled to be published in the Federal Register tomorrow, August 31.

Various forms of kratom and teas made from the plant’s leaves are sold in cafes and on the internet. Their primary effect is to provide a short-lived peaceful and calm feeling that is described as pleasant. Consistent with this effect being opioid-like, anecdotal reports indicate that some users have used kratom to successfully recover from physical and psychological dependence on prescription opioids and heroin. Comments on my last report on kratom have also indicated the successful use of teas made from the plant in managing chronic pain without the side effects and addictive potential of prescription opioids like oxycodone, hydrocodone and morphine.

In the last two months, published research has pointed to why kratom might be a useful and safer alternative to prescription opioids. The main component of the herb, the alkaloid mitragynine, and its metabolite and oxidation product, 7-hydroxymitragynine, produce an effect on the mu subtype of opioid receptors away from many of the mechanisms that cause many opioid side effects. These alkaloids are now shown to be so-called G-protein biased ligands at the mu opioid receptor. This effect minimizes the engagement of an intracellular protein called beta-arrestin that among other effects, causes a reduction in opioid receptors on the surface of cells, leading to the tolerance and dose escalation commonly seen with prescription opioids.

The CDC has reported in July that kratom can be abused and that poison control centers have received over 660 calls between 2010 and 2015 regarding kratom intoxication. This report has been criticized as being relatively inconsequential given the small number of cases when compared with other legal and illegal intoxicants. In some cases listed as kratom intoxication, other illicit drugs were taken by the individuals.

The North Carolina state legislature recently decided not to restrict and criminalize use and sale of kratom–limiting it only to buyers over age 18–because of personal testimonials to the benefits of kratom teas. With the federal intent to place the herb and its bioactive constituents on Schedule I, the DEA is ignoring the increasing scientific literature on a potential beneficial medical use of the plant. Schedule I classification, used for drugs with no known medical use and high abuse potential, will certainly make subsequent research on the plant more difficult.

I will be placing what will be, for me, a very large order of kratom online to stock up just in case the DEA keeps kratom on schedule I indefinitely. I figure 250g will last me quite a long, long while as I only really use it once or twice monthly anyway. It's a nice occasional thing and I'd like to know that I can enjoy it for a little while longer.

Edited by niemandgeist, 30 August 2016 - 11:59 AM.

• Shadowlord, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 6 others like this

#2 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,150 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:34 PM

Thanks niem for this post.

Very sad news indeed.

• Shadowlord and Alder Logs like this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,279 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

I seen it coming. Kratom takes too much money away from big pharma to remain legal.

It majorly sucks though.
  • dead_diver, Shadowlord, Coopdog and 3 others like this

#4 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,150 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:50 PM

A natural plant to help people is going to be outlawed, that's the love of money.

Pharma medicines are increasingly dangerous.

I suppose there is a short window to stock up for personal use.

• Shadowlord, Coopdog, Alder Logs and 1 other like this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,775 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:19 PM

I could not be more upset by this news. I finally find something that helps and makes the day bearable, and this comes along.

I appreciate the heads up Niem. I think I too will be placing a larger than usual order. I have no idea what can be done to protest this, but if petitions etc. come up, I will as usual be signing.

• Shadowlord, Coopdog, Alder Logs and 1 other like this

#6 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:10 PM

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

The kratom plant, Mitragyna speciosa, produces medicinally important alkaloids that are increasingly known to be of potential medical benefit, but with questionable abuse potential. Photo credit: Shutterstock

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency has filed a notice of intent (PDF) to place the southeast Asian plant called kratom to the most restrictive classification of the Controlled Substances Act. The plant, Mitragyna speciosa, and its two primary constituents, mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine, will be temporarily placed onto Schedule I on September 30, according to a filing by the DEA at 8:45 am Eastern time today. The full announcement is scheduled to be published in the Federal Register tomorrow, August 31.

Various forms of kratom and teas made from the plant’s leaves are sold in cafes and on the internet. Their primary effect is to provide a short-lived peaceful and calm feeling that is described as pleasant. Consistent with this effect being opioid-like, anecdotal reports indicate that some users have used kratom to successfully recover from physical and psychological dependence on prescription opioids and heroin. Comments on my last report on kratom have also indicated the successful use of teas made from the plant in managing chronic pain without the side effects and addictive potential of prescription opioids like oxycodone, hydrocodone and morphine.

In the last two months, published research has pointed to why kratom might be a useful and safer alternative to prescription opioids. The main component of the herb, the alkaloid mitragynine, and its metabolite and oxidation product, 7-hydroxymitragynine, produce an effect on the mu subtype of opioid receptors away from many of the mechanisms that cause many opioid side effects. These alkaloids are now shown to be so-called G-protein biased ligands at the mu opioid receptor. This effect minimizes the engagement of an intracellular protein called beta-arrestin that among other effects, causes a reduction in opioid receptors on the surface of cells, leading to the tolerance and dose escalation commonly seen with prescription opioids.

The CDC has reported in July that kratom can be abused and that poison control centers have received over 660 calls between 2010 and 2015 regarding kratom intoxication. This report has been criticized as being relatively inconsequential given the small number of cases when compared with other legal and illegal intoxicants. In some cases listed as kratom intoxication, other illicit drugs were taken by the individuals.

The North Carolina state legislature recently decided not to restrict and criminalize use and sale of kratom–limiting it only to buyers over age 18–because of personal testimonials to the benefits of kratom teas. With the federal intent to place the herb and its bioactive constituents on Schedule I, the DEA is ignoring the increasing scientific literature on a potential beneficial medical use of the plant. Schedule I classification, used for drugs with no known medical use and high abuse potential, will certainly make subsequent research on the plant more difficult.

I will be placing what will be, for me, a very large order of kratom online to stock up just in case the DEA keeps kratom on schedule I indefinitely. I figure 250g will last me quite a long, long while as I only really use it once or twice monthly anyway. It's a nice occasional thing and I'd like to know that I can enjoy it for a little while longer.

This is the only plant that has relieved me of my anxiety and depression. I have been using it for 4 years now and its amazing. My tolerance has remained nearly the same. I take 20 caps size00 3 times a day on average. I go through about 400 grams a month!!!!

I have went a week without it and my withdraws did suck; water eyes, runny nose, severe depression, and insomnia but all which are bearable but i watched my mother go into convulsions and almost die when detoxing from alcohol. I have seen alcohol destroy families and lives first hand but i could have an entire truck load delivered tomorrow!

My blood pressure went from over 190/100 down to 125/68 were it has remained for 3 years. I dont have crippling anxiety and or depression everyday like i used to. I maintain a healthy weight, im motivated to live my life everyday, and so many more benefits i can list! Im scared to death and this may be a display of weakness or that this legal herb has so much power over me as another drug and probably even sound like a addict but it really has saved my life in many many ways.

So what are my options? Some fucking SSRI medicine which causes me to not want to have sex with my wife, eliminate all feeling to where i dont give a shit rather i do well at anything; simply just not fucking caring!

How about Heroin? Is that the only alternative now? Am i going to have to start banging rigs of heroin to keep my demons at bay? I dont understand why they are fucking doing this and when i say im scared i am scared! I refuse tolive my life the way i was living before i started using kratom.

Can anyone here tell me about microdosing with mushrooms? How do i do it and does it really work? Will it keep depression and axiety at bay?

Is there anything anyone can do to try to combat this? A fucking petition or anything?

I love our country and wouldnt want to be anywhere else but i cant live like that again and i wont. Im not strong enough to face that shit everyday again. A fucking death sentence for me!!!!!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Edited by Microbe77, 30 August 2016 - 03:12 PM.

• Shadowlord, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#7 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency has filed a notice of intent (PDF) to place the southeast Asian plant called kratom to the most restrictive classification of the Controlled Substances Act. The plant, Mitragyna speciosa, and its two primary constituents, mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine, will be temporarily placed onto Schedule I on September 30, according to a filing by the DEA at 8:45 am Eastern time today. The full announcement is scheduled to be published in the Federal Register tomorrow, August 31.

The CDC has reported in July that kratom can be abused and that poison control centers have received over 660 calls between 2010 and 2015 regarding kratom intoxication. This report has been criticized as being relatively inconsequential given the small number of cases when compared with other legal and illegal intoxicants. In some cases listed as kratom intoxication, other illicit drugs were taken by the individuals.

The North Carolina state legislature recently decided not to restrict and criminalize use and sale of kratom–limiting it only to buyers over age 18–because of personal testimonials to the benefits of kratom teas. With the federal intent to place the herb and its bioactive constituents on Schedule I, the DEA is ignoring the increasing scientific literature on a potential beneficial medical use of the plant. Schedule I classification, used for drugs with no known medical use and high abuse potential, will certainly make subsequent research on the plant more difficult.

This is the only plant that has relieved me of my anxiety and depression. I have been using it for 4 years now and its amazing. My tolerance has remained nearly the same. I take 20 caps size00 3 times a day on average. I go through about 400 grams a month!!!!

I have went a week without it and my withdraws did suck; water eyes, runny nose, severe depression, and insomnia but all which are bearable but i watched my mother go into convulsions and almost die when detoxing from alcohol. I have seen alcohol destroy families and lives first hand but i could have an entire truck load delivered tomorrow!

My blood pressure went from over 190/100 down to 125/68 were it has remained for 3 years. I dont have crippling anxiety and or depression everyday like i used to. I maintain a healthy weight, im motivated to live my life everyday, and so many more benefits i can list! Im scared to death and this may be a display of weakness or that this legal herb has so much power over me as another drug and probably even sound like a addict but it really has saved my life in many many ways.

So what are my options? Some fucking SSRI medicine which causes me to not want to have sex with my wife, eliminate all feeling to where i dont give a shit rather i do well at anything; simply just not fucking caring!

How about Heroin? Is that the only alternative now? Am i going to have to start banging rigs of heroin to keep my demons at bay? I dont understand why they are fucking doing this and when i say im scared i am scared! I refuse tolive my life the way i was living before i started using kratom.

Can anyone here tell me about microdosing with mushrooms? How do i do it and does it really work? Will it keep depression and axiety at bay?

Is there anything anyone can do to try to combat this? A fucking petition or anything?

I love our country and wouldnt want to be anywhere else but i cant live like that again and i wont. Im not strong enough to face that shit everyday again. A fucking death sentence for me!!!!!

Ok thats was a little premature and was angry and scared. Edibles have also helped but make me feel weird as if im acting weird and not something i can do at work but i have other options to keep those demons at bay. I apologize for that ^ display. But im pissed off about it!!!

• Shadowlord, Coopdog, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#8 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 4,775 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:10 PM

I know how you feel Microbe. I am searching for any petitions or other means of protesting this before the fact. If I find anything I will link it here.

Edit:

I have found this petition to keep Kratom legal. I have no problem having my name on record as an advocate for Kratom. Please give full consideration to what you want your name attached to before signing any petition. 

http://www.keepkratomlegal.org/

Edited by Skywatcher, 30 August 2016 - 04:38 PM.

• Shadowlord, Coopdog, Juthro and 3 others like this

#9 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,671 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

Son of a bitch! 

I chafe at the whole idea of an FDA.   The pharmacopoeia should be the property of the people.   We should be educated about medicines, not prohibited to have them.

• coorsmikey, Shadowlord, Coopdog and 5 others like this

#10 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,150 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

Nothing natural should be outlawed, we are entitled to use nature as medicine.

another sad day for freedom

• Shadowlord, Coopdog, Tenderfoot and 3 others like this

#11 Shadowlord

Shadowlord

Shadowmancer.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,860 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:19 PM

Very upset about this.
One can buy tobacco or energy drinks or a million other things that are bad for you but can't use natural plants to help ease our pain or break addictions.
All in the name of money. Everything is illegal so big Pharma can isolate the compounds to make money from and keep anyone else from making a buck. (Which is why cannabis is still recommended to be sched 1 though they will allow some research so their buddies can reap the benefits.)
Add in B17 being illegal and one begins to wonder how much worse it's going to get.

Placed an order for a couple kilos and will probably try to scrape up enough for a couple more b4 sept.30
Another restriction in the land of the free.
  • Coopdog, Skywatcher, Alder Logs and 4 others like this

#12 Microbe

Microbe

"Uncle Mic"

• OG VIP
  • 2,525 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:43 PM

:(

Edited by Microbe77, 30 August 2016 - 08:42 PM.

#13 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,337 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:59 PM

I didn't think it was possible for me to think less of the DEA, but there you go....

#14 Heirloom Spores

Heirloom Spores

I practice

• OG VIP
  • 3,150 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:24 PM

Microbe a short PDF on microdosing.  I am not going to say that microdosing can replace Kratom.

Attached Files

• Shadowlord, Microbe and sedaeng like this

#15 sedaeng

sedaeng

n≡ith≡r gφd nφr mαst≡r

• Black VIP
  • 315 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:50 PM

Sad, sad, sad.  More so in the fact that my blinders to the illusion of freedom that Ive enjoyed have been fully lifted, but this 'in your face' moment is [that] reminder that all is not well in our society.  Ive grown numb to the overstepping of our Federal overlords, its easy to forget how things are once I moved away from the city... I will not rant further... everyone here is on the same page...  corpratocracy - if it cuts into their profits, if they cannot patent it, if they cannot make money directly of its usage then it WILL be outlawed

Went to bouncing bear to purchase a couple of more trees with this news, but too expensive now... Think Ill just try cuttings on the ones I have

Thanks Niem for the heads up

Edited by sedaeng, 30 August 2016 - 10:51 PM.

#16 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:00 AM

not sure this will help but there is a petition to keep it off schedule 1...
https://petitions.wh...ule-i-substance

• Shadowlord, Coopdog, Juthro and 2 others like this

#17 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,008 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:43 AM

I signed both of them but I fear very much that this is such a low key and low interest thing that there will be no interest in the petitions. I have got to wonder what prompted this indeed? Not many people have even heard of this wonderful plant. Is Big Pharma being pro-active, or is the gov't acting proactively to keep it's heroin profits intact? I truly believe that they are into street drugs up to their necks. If they wanted them gone they would be gone. Everyone knows who the big dealers are in almost every town in the country because most of them are not smart enough to keep a low profile and the streets talk.

I am so bummed. I don't use it as often as I used to but when I want to it helps me immensely. It is amazing for playing music and for getting through the work day.

Niemandgeist, I got a word of caution for you brother. Start the weaning down process now and I strongly suspect that if you take that much that often that you will have a rough detox from it. I too went through the ringer when I got away from the 3-4 times a day habit. I had no idea how entrenched in that addiction I was. Good luck bro and better stock up because it takes a while to step down with it once that hook is set.

Shaking my damn head over this. I ordered a kilo today but man I can't really afford to put up any more than that and my favorite kinds are sold out. For those looking to buy in bulk try buy-kratom.us as they have the singular best prices and best quality of any vendor I have had. I was only putting that out in pm, but times is hard so have at it people. I know how much this stuff means to people dealing with chronic pain and depressive issues. It has been a god send to me and only bit me when I let it get out of hand and knowingly did so.

Peace ya'll

• Sidestreet, Shadowlord, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

#18 Shadowlord

Shadowlord

Shadowmancer.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,860 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:50 AM

Microbe a short PDF on microdosing.  I am not going to say that microdosing can replace Kratom.

Thanks for sharing the pdf Heirloom. Haven't tried microdosing lad because never that certain I can keep restocking but have had decent luck keeping myself in mushrooms and a good guide to microdosing is helpful.
  • Heirloom Spores likes this

#19 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,403 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:39 AM

Coop: I only use kratom once or twice a month. I don't use very much at all. Maybe 6 to 10g at a time and that's it. The most I'd buy monthly or bi-monthly would be 25g. I just figure I'll buy 250g since it'll be around $40 with shipping and that should last me quite a long, long time. I'd just like to have a few ounces on hand in case this DEA ban never gets lifted is all. When I run out I run out. I'm not going to spend a ridiculous amount trying to get a kilo or anything.

There have been other substances that used to be legal or gray area which are now illegal, and I had a small stash to continue to enjoy those, but when they ran out they ran out and at least I have fond memories of the past with those things.

I've been using kratom on and off since 2005 and It's never been a super regular thing. I've never experienced withdrawals or anything and I've never dosed often enough for tolerance to become an issue, either. I also know how people can get hooked and physically dependent on it so I'm extra careful. For example: I stopped using extracts or extract-enhanced blends a while ago for fear of encountering problems.

I have noticed over the last 6 months that practically every local headshop and vape shop has had kratom in stock at the counter. I wonder if this popularity had something to do with all of this, but I also know that kratom has come into negative media attention here and there since at least 2006. I know for a fact that at two head/vape locations kratom is one of their biggest sellers. You'd better believe that lots of law enforcement check those places out, too, so I'm wondering if this has been a regular trend in various parts of the country leading up to this DEA decision.

Oh well. Stock up on a small stash to enjoy while using it sparingly and enjoy it while it lasts.

If you've been using quite a lot of it, try to slowly taper down and get what you can to ensure that you don't have an awful time!

• Shadowlord likes this

#20 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,008 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:56 PM

My bad Niemandgeist. It was Microbe 77 that said this. Microbe 77 you need to go read the Kratom thread where I wrote about my problems coming off of this stuff. It is much more involved than the symptoms you described. I suspect it has been a while since you tried to step off. It can be a rough ride if you are using that much. Sorry if I sound like I am preaching, but I learned it the hard way.

"I take 20 size 00 caps 3 times daily and go through about 400 grams a month"

This dosage is going to be a hard one to get away from. Peace and I hope the best for you during this process.

• Shadowlord and niemandgeist like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!