#1 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,580 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:24 AM

Came across this in the Supreme Court's official blog, www.scotusblog.com.

Apparently, the use of the death penalty is waaaaay down from the 1990s, when it was all the rage.  Now, it is mostly used by only sixteen counties in the U.S.  That is about 1/2 of 1% of U.S. counties that are doing almost all of the executions.  Read below to learn more:

New documentation of the punishment’s decline arrives each day. Seven states repealed the death penalty in the last decade. Four states are currently under a suspension of executions ordered by the governor. Executions, where they occur, are rare. Last year, only six states executed prisoners – and over eighty percent of those took place in Texas, Missouri and Georgia – making it the lowest number of executions (twenty-eight) in twenty years. And while thirty states and the federal government retain the death penalty on the books, a majority of these have not had an execution in ten years or more. Perhaps most telling, death sentences have reached a forty-year low. Put another way, death sentences are down 600% from a high of 315 imposed in 1996 to just forty-nine imposed in 2015. Texas – the historical “capital” of capital punishment in America – typically had thirty or more death sentences imposed each year in the 1990s. Last year, there were two death sentences handed down in the Lone Star State. While sixty to seventy percent of Americans lived in states that carried out the death penalty in the 1990s, now only about a third live in states that have carried out an execution in the last three years.

Where the death penalty persists, researchers are beginning to understand why – and the answers have little to do with the heinousness of the offense or the moral culpability of the offender. There are just sixteen counties (out of over three thousand in the United States) where five or more death sentences have been imposed between 2010-2015. A new report issued last month reveals that capital punishment continues to flourish in this tiny fraction (or fraction of a fraction) of counties because these jurisdictions share three common characteristics: a history of racial exclusion, poor representation for the accused, and overzealous prosecutors who pursue the punishment at all costs. As a result, these jurisdictions have a disproportionate share of wrongful convictions and excessive punishment of young offenders, people who are mentally disabled, and those who have experienced great trauma in their lives. The influence of such extra-legal factors is a sign that the death penalty continues to be inflicted in an arbitrary and capricious manner.

What do you think of the death penalty?

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,773 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:52 AM

What do you think of the death penalty?

I think it is murder too.   Calling it "execution" does not change homicide.   Defending one's bodily life with lethal force in a particular moment, if necessary, might account for a homicide not being a murder, but when a human death is the product of calculation, that be murder.   Premeditated murder is the benchmark capital crime.   How do we murder all the murderers and let ourselves off the hook?   We rationalize it.   Works every time. 

Edited by Alder Logs, 02 September 2016 - 08:54 AM.

• Sidestreet, Myc and Heirloom like this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 11,705 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:56 AM

Agreed, the state should never have the right to take a life of one of it's citizens, ever.

• Sidestreet likes this

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,871 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:05 AM

The words were pretty clear - "Thou" - you, the reader - "shall not kill."

Take away a man's life and you take away his opportunity to change his ways for the better.

Prisons are for "rehabilitation" right?? ..... ? 

• Sidestreet, Alder Logs and Heirloom like this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,733 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:48 PM

I am fundamentally against capitol punishment, but not all offenders are capable of redemption, and not all deeds can be forgiven.

And I'm here to tell you, if faced with life in prison, I would prefer death. Prison isn't rehabilitation, its hell on earth. And IMHO, being locked behind bars and knowing you will be there tell the end of your days constitutes cruel and unusual punishment.

Plus what do you do with the Ted Bundie's, and the John Wayne Gacy's of the world.

I don't have the answer, and I'm not sure there is a good one.
  • Sidestreet and Heirloom like this

#6 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:33 PM

Prisons do not rehabilitate, they punish. Some like manson ,bundy ,gacy ridgeway, williams, can never be helped nor turned loose.

I agree I would rather die than spend my life in prison.

I know several people serving life , one for killing his son , one my brother in law for killing his girlfriend while married to my sister.
I actually feel sorry for them how they ruined lives including their own and the misery life in prison is. Others I went to school with , more than I care to remember. All of them bad guys.

I also understand they cannot be released or else they will do it again and worse.

My sister and my new born niece were kidnapped 20 years ago, my newborn niece thrown in a ditch in the winter , my sister dragged into the woods , had a caesarean  and fought knocking him in the head with a rock running finding her baby and picked up on the highway by an old couple of farmers who took them to a hospital. He is serving life.

This is a discussion that offers no answers , as each prisoner is different and some doing life never committed a violent crime,
I would release the drug prisoners.

• Sidestreet and Juthro like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!