32 replies to this topic

#1 shabam

shabam

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:23 AM

Hey guys!

I'm in the middle of my first Cube grow, and everything is going great so far...

I am very excited to try some shroomies fresh off the cakes! 

What can I expect for taste? All I've ever had is dried crispy mushrooms, and obviously they taste terrible...

Do they taste bad still just with better mouth feel? Even if they still taste bad at least you could still cook them into things when they're fresh I guess.... just curious

=-Shabam-=

• Coopdog likes this

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,209 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:00 AM

IMO they are more palatable fresh.  I wonder if they'd be good with ranch dressing....

You should definitely eat some freshies!  They're potent and visual. 

1 g dry = about 10 g fresh

• MLBjammer, -=Zeus=-, Coopdog and 2 others like this

#3 mycolangelo.4HO

mycolangelo.4HO

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:07 AM

I actually love the way they taste, especially dried. When I first ate some fresh ones it was a bit much for me, very hard to explain but it is a taste/texture that's grown on me. I prefer them fresh, for me I feel like it adds a little bit to the experience

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk
  • Sidestreet, MLBjammer and 555 like this

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,209 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:50 AM

If you like the taste it makes sense you'd like them better dried, they're definitely stronger tasting that way!

• 555 likes this

#5 555

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:10 AM

If you like mushrooms, you should like these. The blue meanies did have a little different taste but wasn't horrible. I like that ranch dressing idea!!! I also tried some liquid mushrooms (made with pure grain alcohol and condensed) my tongue was in shock! LOL. Prefer raw...

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,117 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

I admit it, I'm a wussy and don't like the taste of cubes. With the fresh ones, its the texture thing that gets me, and I have a hard time getting them down. But I don't have any problem keeping them there, and there is nothing quite like a ride on freshies.

Though I have learned to cheat, and like to make mine into tea (fresh or dried). The tea I truly enjoy the flavor of. With a little lemon, and some sugar I could drink that mushroom goodness just for pleasure and relaxation.
  • MLBjammer and Coopdog like this

#7 shabam

shabam

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:16 AM

IMO they are more palatable fresh.  I wonder if they'd be good with ranch dressing....

You should definitely eat some freshies!  They're potent and visual. 

1 g dry = about 10 g fresh

Oh trust me, this is one of the first things I plan on doing after my first flush :)

I wish they kept good fresh for longer, but I guess it just makes it a more special thing to do.

#8 shabam

shabam

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:23 AM

I actually love the way they taste, especially dried. When I first ate some fresh ones it was a bit much for me, very hard to explain but it is a taste/texture that's grown on me. I prefer them fresh, for me I feel like it adds a little bit to the experience

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

You love the dried mushroom taste?! And you're talking about cubes? you're crazy man lol. Dried at least I do okay until I try to actually swallow them... bad news. I always chew them up really well, then swallow them down with a strong tasting drink like orange juice or beer or something lol. But yeah I totally agree about fresh, I have no doubt at all that I'll love them compared to dry... But... I mean lets be honest.... I'm not eating them for the taste.

If you like the taste it makes sense you'd like them better dried, they're definitely stronger tasting that way!

So the taste is stronger dried? So if I hate them dry (the taste not the experience) then it may be tolerable while fresh?

If you like mushrooms, you should like these. The blue meanies did have a little different taste but wasn't horrible. I like that ranch dressing idea!!! I also tried some liquid mushrooms (made with pure grain alcohol and condensed) my tongue was in shock! LOL. Prefer raw...

I'm a dirty vegan so I can't really have with Ranch, but I'm starting to think of some good ideas for eating them like a chef lol.

Fresh Cubes.. would it be unwise to cook them? Like sautéed? Does cooking them make them less potent? I would think so but maybe not enough to notice.

I admit it, I'm a wussy and don't like the taste of cubes. With the fresh ones, its the texture thing that gets me, and I have a hard time getting them down. But I don't have any problem keeping them there, and there is nothing quite like a ride on freshies.

Though I have learned to cheat, and like to make mine into tea (fresh or dried). The tea I truly enjoy the flavor of. With a little lemon, and some sugar I could drink that mushroom goodness just for pleasure and relaxation.

Yeah right from the start of your reply I totally agree lol... I do not like the taste of dried cubes that is for sure. I love mushrooms in general, but not cubes. Well I have a huge issue swallowing dried cubes, but we'll see how I react to them fresh.. man I can't wait. I've always loved cubes, but with me actually growing them and everything, I think it's going to be a much more special experience.

Yeah I never tried the Cube-Tea thing. I always worried that I would be wasting precious 'magic' by not eating the actual flesh of the cube. I think making it into a tea, especially with growing my own now and not having to worry about making mistakes or 'wasting' the cubes, is an awesome idea. You have to do that from the dried fruits right? Or can you make tea out of freshies?

=-shabam-= 

• Juthro likes this

#9 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,117 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:08 AM

You can make tea out fresh or dried. The thing with tea is it hits you a lot faster/harder and more intense, but the overall duration of the trip is shorter. For me, its one of my favorite ways to ingest.

It also helps get rid of some of the unpleasant body load you get from eating the fruit, like nausea and upset stomach.

If you have dried shrooms, you can also grind them in a coffee grinder, and put them in gel caps. This has a couple of benefits, it allows a stealthy way to store and transport your stash (think in a pill bottle that had similar looking pills). And it allows you to meter your intake without a scale in the field (once you know how much weight fits in one cap, you can do simple math).

They make cool pill press machines that let you make 12 at a time. You can even get vegetable based caps instead of gelatin ones, for you vegan types :) The empty gel caps, and the presses are both available from Amazon if you wanted to look at them.

Edit: We have a member here (Dr. McNasty IIRC) that reported good results from battering, and deep frying fresh cubes. I haven't tried it myself, but he claimed they were delicious, and worked very well :)

Edited by Juthro, 11 September 2016 - 02:14 AM.

#10 shabam

shabam

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:22 AM

You can make tea out fresh or dried. The thing with tea is it hits you a lot faster/harder and more intense, but the overall duration of the trip is shorter. For me, its one of my favorite ways to ingest.

It also helps get rid of some of the unpleasant body load you get from eating the fruit, like nausea and upset stomach.

If you have dried shrooms, you can also grind them in a coffee grinder, and put them in gel caps. This has a couple of benefits, it allows a stealthy way to store and transport your stash (think in a pill bottle that had similar looking pills). And it allows you to meter your intake without a scale in the field (once you know how much weight fits in one cap, you can do simple math).

They make cool pill press machines that let you make 12 at a time. You can even get vegetable based caps instead of gelatin ones, for you vegan types :) The empty gel caps, and the presses are both available from Amazon if you wanted to look at them.

Edit: We have a member here (Dr. McNasty IIRC) that reported good results from battering, and deep frying fresh cubes. I haven't tried it myself, but he claimed they were delicious, and worked very well :)

I feel a LITTLE wobbly in the stomach when I just eat the fruit but I've never had it be bad nausea or vomit. That being said I really do need to try the tea, if not only to have the experience.

Yeah besides just fresh or dried I've been wanting to try tea, gel caps, chocolates... I've only had dried straight up throughout my cube-ingesting-histroy. 

well of course they were good, they were battered and deep fried :D

=-shabam=

• Juthro likes this

#11 Gnomesayin

Gnomesayin

Loph Whisperer

• VIP
  • 249 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:26 AM

Alcohol extraction makes for a short but intense blast off.

Gnomesayin?!

#12 niemandgeist

niemandgeist

You make me happy in a manic sort of way :)

• OG VIP
  • 2,398 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:04 PM

I don't mind the taste fresh. They've got a slight bitterness, but they're not really bad. I don't have a lot of sugar in my diet, though, and I really love my black coffee, so that could be it.

I also don't mind them cracker dry. They're like toasted little shroom crackers.

Kratom tea never bothered me, either.

I guess this is why I have so much hair on my chest... and legs, and arms, and back... :rolleyes:

• shabam likes this

#13 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,117 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

It's all about finding what works best for you, and I encourage you to try many options. They all have their pro's and con's, but they all do the same general job. Get the dose in you ;P

Wishing you success on your grow brother, Shabam. Make sure you let us know how it turns out, and how you decide to do it.

In my experience fresh mushrooms as tea, or just raw provide an additional layer to the trip. I've a hard time putting it to words, but it is slightly different. More colorful, smoother..... IDK the right descriptor. but I would say it is definitely worth doing.
  • shabam likes this

#14 catattack

catattack

Mountain Gringo Hairball ™

• OG VIP
  • 5,998 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:08 PM

It's an acquired taste, but I love them raw and dried. 

#15 shabam

shabam

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:19 PM

It's all about finding what works best for you, and I encourage you to try many options. They all have their pro's and con's, but they all do the same general job. Get the dose in you ;P

Wishing you success on your grow brother, Shabam. Make sure you let us know how it turns out, and how you decide to do it.

In my experience fresh mushrooms as tea, or just raw provide an additional layer to the trip. I've a hard time putting it to words, but it is slightly different. More colorful, smoother..... IDK the right descriptor. but I would say it is definitely worth doing.

Yeah, I'll always eat em straight up, but like I said the Tea is something I'll definitely try soon.. maybe my first time off my own grow I'll have 1/2 my dose fresh, 1/2 my dose tea :) why not mix it up a bit right lol

Has anyone here ever taken a bite of a cake? lol... I know we're trying to get the FRUITS in this deal, but I've heard even the mycelium has psychoactive components... 

=-Shabam-=

#16 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 917 posts

Donator

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:00 AM

i can't stand the taste!! makes me gag just thinking of it. i used to grind them to powder and mix with a little fluid and down it like a shot. now days, i grind them into powder and make mushroom capsules. it works for me, although i really do enjoy the taste of edibles!
  • Juthro likes this

#17 shabam

shabam

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:16 AM

i can't stand the taste!! makes me gag just thinking of it. i used to grind them to powder and mix with a little fluid and down it like a shot. now days, i grind them into powder and make mushroom capsules. it works for me, although i really do enjoy the taste of edibles!

Yeah I used to feel the exact same way so I'd grind them and put them in capsules, but there's something I noticed when the only fungus I consumed was powder, the experience didn't last as long! It hit a little faster, but didn't last nearly as long and there was just something missing. Still a great experience but just didn't feel the same. I think there's something more to be said about actually wearing them down by chewing, instead of just swallowing the dust. :)

Avoiding the taste and gag-iness of it is awesome though lol

#18 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 917 posts

Donator

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:21 AM

i haven't notice any shorten length of trip. could be just me though
  • shabam likes this

#19 CuttlePhysh

CuttlePhysh

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:08 PM

I actually prefer mine fresh, as opposed to dry, by far. It seems there are some minute, subtle taste differences from strain to strain, but for the most part I'd describe fresh shrooms as having a 'woodsy' flavor. If you've ever walked through a forest right after a summer rain and experienced that mossy/woody bouquet that wafts thick enveloping your senses so thoroughly you can almost taste it. That's what it reminds me of. The only drawback to eating fresh (in my case at least) is they're so, for lack of a better word, 'rich' it's difficult to eat what you might consider a full dose in one sitting. It's like they start out tasting great but become overwhelming.

When I dry & grind mine in my coffee grinder & encapsulate them, my experience is they take a bit longer to come on (dunno for sure but I assumed it's the capsule taking time to dissolve as opposed to fresh/dried non-capsuled having immediate system exposure), and the experience itself was different. Not necessarily better nor worse, just different. Not sure how or why.

Good luck with your first grow project! The first is always exciting. :)

Edited by CuttlePhysh, 17 September 2016 - 10:10 PM.

#20 shabam

shabam

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 11:36 PM

i haven't notice any shorten length of trip. could be just me though

Hey White!

I think what I meant to say is... well I'll start off explaining my normal trips when chewing whole stems and caps... stomach feels weird, then it hits... then it REALLY hits... then it really really hits... then it plateaus for a while, and comes down slowly over 2-3 hours or so... 

But whenever I had powder or shake, It hits that top plateau much quicker, but then I don't get the long slow decent into being sober again over 2-3 hours, it's more like 1 hour... And let me say the coming down slowly over 2-3 hours is one of my favorite times! It's really calming, and with it still being in effect, only not as drastically I feel like it allows me to decipher everything my soul learned over the really really intense parts... does that make sense?

Don't get me wrong if all that is around is shake I have absolutely no qualms about taking that :D but if I had my choice I'd have my normal trip with munching whole shrooms... Honestly now that I'm growing my own, I may mix it up... Like if I'm taking 5 grams maybe take 3 of whole shrooms, and 2 grams of shake.. That way you get the best of both worlds! :D

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!