• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 shabam

shabam

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 11:40 PM

I actually prefer mine fresh, as opposed to dry, by far. It seems there are some minute, subtle taste differences from strain to strain, but for the most part I'd describe fresh shrooms as having a 'woodsy' flavor. If you've ever walked through a forest right after a summer rain and experienced that mossy/woody bouquet that wafts thick enveloping your senses so thoroughly you can almost taste it. That's what it reminds me of. The only drawback to eating fresh (in my case at least) is they're so, for lack of a better word, 'rich' it's difficult to eat what you might consider a full dose in one sitting. It's like they start out tasting great but become overwhelming.

When I dry & grind mine in my coffee grinder & encapsulate them, my experience is they take a bit longer to come on (dunno for sure but I assumed it's the capsule taking time to dissolve as opposed to fresh/dried non-capsuled having immediate system exposure), and the experience itself was different. Not necessarily better nor worse, just different. Not sure how or why.

Good luck with your first grow project! The first is always exciting. :)

Hey!

Yeah now that I keep reading about eating fresh I cannot wait to try it for the first time... the experience of eating them fresh as you describe them sounds a lot better than eating them dry as a cracker.. I mean there is no way anyone likes the taste of cubes dried... just seems crazy to me... I can chew them without much incident, but swallowing after... is difficult... without strong drink like orange juice or whiskey or something lol.

Yeah I think that's DEFINITELY the gel caps taking too long to break down... I would try it out with different brand of caps as shake should hit and peak MUCH faster than just masticating the stems and caps. 

Yeah it really cannot colonize fast enough.... I check on my project probably 2-4 times a day, knowing full well I'm not going to see much of a difference... but I just can't help it. Soon I'll have jars colonizing, cakes in the fruiting chamber, projects in agar and petri dishes, and prints to take care of :) 

=-shabam-=

#22 CuttlePhysh

CuttlePhysh

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

Oh yes, if you like fresh garden veggies &/or 'earthy' flavors you'll by FAR like fresh.

Sounds like you're jumping in full throttle. I actually did the same thing (started out with multiple method & projects ranging from BRF cakes, seed jars & coir mix substrates, mono-tubs, agar, prints etc all at the same time) but soon discovered, in my case, it was MUCH easier to track possible sources of contamination by starting out simple. Plus, the cost factor for it all was killing me with all the trial & error fails, So I backed up to just BRF cakes & worked up to more complex methods til I got any problem contamination areas dealt with & each method seemed to present a new challenge in defining "cleanliness" lol. Oddly enough (or perhaps not so oddly), for me method complexity didn't necessarily translate into better production in quality or quantity so I stick with the 'KISS' philosophy nowadays.

If you can handle it all at once more power to ya, well done. It's an adventure to be sure! Keep us posted. I'm excited for ya, can't wait for the pics. :)

Edited by CuttlePhysh, 19 September 2016 - 10:31 AM.

#23 shabam

shabam

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:58 PM

Oh yes, if you like fresh garden veggies &/or 'earthy' flavors you'll by FAR like fresh.

Sounds like you're jumping in full throttle. I actually did the same thing (started out with multiple method & projects ranging from BRF cakes, seed jars & coir mix substrates, mono-tubs, agar, prints etc all at the same time) but soon discovered, in my case, it was MUCH easier to track possible sources of contamination by starting out simple. Plus, the cost factor for it all was killing me with all the trial & error fails, So I backed up to just BRF cakes & worked up to more complex methods til I got any problem contamination areas dealt with & each method seemed to present a new challenge in defining "cleanliness" lol. Oddly enough (or perhaps not so oddly), for me method complexity didn't necessarily translate into better production in quality or quantity so I stick with the 'KISS' philosophy nowadays.

If you can handle it all at once more power to ya, well done. It's an adventure to be sure! Keep us posted. I'm excited for ya, can't wait for the pics. :)

Thanks! Yeah I only planned on doing BRF in the beginning, but because my last order from new vendor (for me) sent me the wrong thing I had a pre-sterilized read-to-inoculate bag of rye so now I have that in the incubator too... So now I have my oringial 5 brf jars of corumba brazil, 4 jars of AA+ Albino, 6 jars of creepers, and that 1.6 pound bag inoculated with Mazatepec...lol

I'm guessing some won't colonize, or will have some contaminates, so that will get rid of a few jars. But all of the different kinds are at least a week apart from one another (with inoculation date) so they shouldn't all fruit at the same time which is good. 2 of my jars of corumba are almost totally colonized on the outside. That means once all I see is mycelium to leave it one more week to colonize the inside of the cake? Then birth it, dunk it, fruit it?

#24 treign

treign

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 125 posts

Donator

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:19 AM

In my case I've noticed a week is to long.i am guessing the moisture content is the main reason. i find my cakes dry out if left for an extra week. 

the best time to birth i have found, is if jar has colonized, the myc has pulled away from the jar and/or starts to show signs of pinning. thats when i birth it. 

other factors play in once in awhile but thats what works for me.

i cant say i like the taste of fresh better than dried but they're easier to eat for sure. cleaning off verm. before putting freshies together will make eating time much better.

verm dont rinse off caps. lol

here is some redboys im starving for tonight.IMG_4821.JPG    

• shabam likes this

#25 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• Free Member
  • 3,421 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:39 AM

The taste of raw shrooms don't bother me but the slimy texture makes me gag and retch.
Shroom honey tastes good and makes a goid sandwich with peanut butter.
  • MLBjammer likes this

#26 shabam

shabam

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:20 AM

The taste of raw shrooms don't bother me but the slimy texture makes me gag and retch.
Shroom honey tastes good and makes a goid sandwich with peanut butter.

that sounds amazing!

#27 shabam

shabam

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:22 AM

In my case I've noticed a week is to long.i am guessing the moisture content is the main reason. i find my cakes dry out if left for an extra week. 

the best time to birth i have found, is if jar has colonized, the myc has pulled away from the jar and/or starts to show signs of pinning. thats when i birth it. 

other factors play in once in awhile but thats what works for me.

i cant say i like the taste of fresh better than dried but they're easier to eat for sure. cleaning off verm. before putting freshies together will make eating time much better.

verm dont rinse off caps. lol

here is some redboys im starving for tonight.attachicon.gifIMG_4821.JPG    

What do you mean by starving? Those look great. Just last night I put 3 cakes from my very first grow (all but one jar are successfully fully colonized from my original 6 jars of my very first grow) and they're sitting in my very first fruiting chamber. So god willing I'll be able to post here soon with how I think they taste fresh :)

#28 Yumbum

Yumbum

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:55 PM

Hey, just had my first fresh experience with some PE's. So much better tasting then dry! I had them with some mustard for dipping, really not a bad taste at all, and an awesome time!

• MLBjammer and catattack like this

#29 shabam

shabam

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:50 PM

Hey, just had my first fresh experience with some PE's. So much better tasting then dry! I had them with some mustard for dipping, really not a bad taste at all, and an awesome time!

Awesome! I still haven't tried it lol.... It just hasn't timed out perfectly yet where I'm gonna trip AND have good freshies available at the same time..

I did, however, try making tea last night... THAT worked really well too. No stomach issues, no bad taste, AND it hits you really quickly :)

• MLBjammer and Yumbum like this

#30 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,212 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:56 AM

You cannot go wrong with tea, especially if you have body-load issues.

• Juthro and shabam like this

#31 Dilatedpupils

Dilatedpupils

HappyDude

• Free Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:27 PM

Alcohol extraction makes for a short but intense blast off.
Gnomesayin?!

How short? I've been wanting to try that

life is good:)

#32 Dilatedpupils

Dilatedpupils

HappyDude

• Free Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:28 PM

I've never had them fresh but dried always makes me super nauseous and tea with ginger helps an little but not as powerful ime

#33 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:27 PM

I've never had them fresh but dried always makes me super nauseous and tea with ginger helps an little but not as powerful ime

Try a lime-juice pre-soak and body load will probably not be an issue. HIGHLY recommended!

• catattack likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!