#1 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,739 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:33 PM

man, been a bumper crop of tomatoes so far, using up all my quart jars. only 3 plants

this was just today.. 

veg1.jpg

Edited by wharfrat, 22 September 2016 - 11:40 PM.

• wildedibles, Juthro, Heirloom Spores and 3 others like this

#2 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,718 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:12 AM

I'm so jealous of your carrots ! Nice haul of tomatoes.
Good plant eh? Did you save seeds for next year?
  • wildedibles, Juthro, wharfrat and 1 other like this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:26 AM

I have tomatoes and cukes to bring in still and then my buddys garden be all done for the year :)
I havent kept up with my garden thread at all too buzzy but I hve lots to note this winter
Its been a hot / dry year here the bounty was a bit better last year but we still have enough
I like thoes carrots there mine were stubby ones I like that but they were too big on the top hard to chew raw .......frost here hasnt come yet I have a melon or a squash comin I want it to mature so I can find out what it is so I will tent it up if it frosts ;) the rest of my garden is in pots so I can bring them in to extend growing time :)
  • Juthro and wharfrat like this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,739 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:12 PM

peppers have mostly been harvested and eaten around the same time, so no pics of those.. the carrots are soo awesome, they are the biggest carrots i have ever grown, they don't look perfect but to me they are beautiful and taste delicious and ai have more in the ground, that way just a test, pull a few. soo many toms overwhelmed.. WOOHOO jars i need jars

• wildedibles and Juthro like this

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:16 AM

:) Ill virtual send you some :) ....only if that would work ......
Need to pickel some cukes in next few days and some crab apples
alredy made some apple butter and jelly oh and a current jelly Im gonna use that for turkey instead of cranberries :)

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,269 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

Looks good, Wharf! I hear you, I both love, and hate to run short of jars. I love it cuz that means I've got a lot of stuff canned filling them up, and I hate it cuz it means I've got to go buy more.

I'm actually canning some of our toms up today. Did this batch up as stewed tomatoes, with some onion, celery, and green pepper.

The only thing is, that adding the other ingredients drops the acidity enough that you have to PC them, instead of using a water bath canner. 15min @10psi is what Ball's Blue Book calls for.

Got our last harvest of the green beans to cycle though the canner, as soon as these are done. Did those up in half pints this year. It uses up more lids, but I like the portion control aspect of it. With just the two us, its a perfect size for a side dish, no leftovers.

I love this time of year, it feels good filling up the pantry with all the good food. It's comforting to me, kind of like looking at a full wood shed. I know winter is coming fast, and I'll be ready.
  • wildedibles, Skywatcher, wharfrat and 1 other like this

#7 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,739 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:48 PM

i picked up a dozen more quarts today and am making/canning stewed toms also.. i been getting conflicting data as how long to PC and at what pressure, i have found quarts to pc @ 10psi for 20 mins.. i hope this is right, i usually pc them longer but sometimes the jars boil over and i lose some of it.. I know 15 psi at 90 mins is way too long, been there done that lol

#8 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,269 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

I looked it up again in Ball's Blue Book for you, Wharf. Your correct, it says stewed tomatoes in quarts are processed for 20min at @10 psi. We do ours in pints, hence the shorter cycle time.

The National Center for Home Food Preservation, is a great source of solid, reliable info if you ever get stuck for how to safely process your food. I trust the blue book for processing times, but their recipes are always calling for ball products, as where the NCHFP has more generic recipes that I find easier to follow.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/index.html
  • wildedibles and wharfrat like this

#9 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,739 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:27 PM

ahh, thank you.. just about to load and can, was getting jars and lids heated up. stewed toms smell delish

#10 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,269 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:07 PM

Hope they all seal for you my friend. :) I love the smell of the house on canning day!

#11 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,269 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:11 PM

Well...? Did they all seal? How many jars did you end up with?

Come on man, inquiring minds want to know!

Just kidding with you, brother. I hope you had much success :)

#12 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,739 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:38 PM

yes they sealed, but simmered my stewed toms for about 45 mins, desired consistency, so 6 quarts of toms ended up only making 3 quarts.. tis ok, got pounds more just starting to turn red

stewed toms.jpg

#13 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,269 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:04 PM

Good job my friend! It all adds up :)

Shoot, the last of our green beans only filled 4, half pints, lol. We still processed them though, and combined with what we've already put up, it gives a grand total of 20.

#14 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:35 AM

Looks good, Wharf! I hear you, I both love, and hate to run short of jars. I love it cuz that means I've got a lot of stuff canned filling them up, and I hate it cuz it means I've got to go buy more.I'm actually canning some of our toms up today. Did this batch up as stewed tomatoes, with some onion, celery, and green pepper.The only thing is, that adding the other ingredients drops the acidity enough that you have to PC them, instead of using a water bath canner. 15min @10psi is what Ball's Blue Book calls for.Got our last harvest of the green beans to cycle though the canner, as soon as these are done. Did those up in half pints this year. It uses up more lids, but I like the portion control aspect of it. With just the two us, its a perfect size for a side dish, no leftovers.I love this time of year, it feels good filling up the pantry with all the good food. It's comforting to me, kind of like looking at a full wood shed. I know winter is coming fast, and I'll be ready.

We added citric acid to our tomatoes last year to boost the acidity this made them fine without a PC

Since Im gluten free I took my yellow beans that dried up cause they went too far ....Im putting them threw the coffee grinder and making bean flour to mix with rice flour :)

nice job on thoes tomatoes :) .....my apple butter is almost done now :) yumyum

my celery is comming very nice Im gonna bring it indoors the ones I left inside are doing great too so I know I will have fresh celery for the winter :)

Edited by wildedibles, 27 September 2016 - 05:43 AM.

• Juthro, Heirloom Spores and wharfrat like this

#15 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,269 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:44 AM

Glad to hear you've had a productive garden this season, WildE. Our garden is mostly put up now, the only thing still left out is carrots. We like to leave them through a couple of frosts, they come out sweeter that way. It's got something to do with their ability to process sugars in low temps, so they build up extra. At least that's what they tell me. IDK for sure, but they sure taste sweeter to me if we let stay out in the cold.

Those tomatoes we got from you did very well for us. Especially when you consider the late start they got compared to the rest of our crop. Definitely will be saving seeds, and growing those again. Those and the Manitoba both ripened nicely for us outside. We also got a really productive crop from the Romas, but they were still mostly green when our first frost hit (it's 26F [-3C to you] outside right now). So now we've got shelves and boxes of green tomatoes everywhere. Trying to ripen them up in the house. We might end up with a big batch of green salsa this year.

Our potatoes did pretty well this year, our 8X8 foot patch yielded just under 90lbs. Green beans, peas, and peppers also did well. I would call this season a success.

Peace and love from the North,
Juth
  • wildedibles, Heirloom Spores and wharfrat like this

#16 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,739 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:56 PM

good idea about the carrots, i still have a bunch, i hat to pull them if they still have time ti grow, and sweeter is a good thing.. i pulled those 4 cuz they were half exposed and curiosity..

#17 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:55 PM

oh ya you have all winter to leave a carrot in the ground even for Juthro way up north ;)
Carrots will shoot up a flower when they grow come spring but not until its warm enough ....I have mistakenly left a few in the ground and ate them in the spring before they grew and they were yummy ....wait a bit too long they will have a woody texture and a flower stalk I have collected seeds this way and they worked ok but sometimes its hard to tell what is Queens Anne's lace and what was last years carrots without pulling it out
Potatoes the ones I leave in the groung will grow next year if I find any in the spring I may eat them if thety are big enough but usually they r the tiny ones and get replanted where I want them to grow
we got some frost here but not a hard one I had some stuff covered ....lettuce and celery and cukes...but forgt the squish it looks ok but the leaves got the frost not the stems ?? its imature but might be edible still??
my lettuce is really good this year it was seeds from last years plants a leaf lettuce :) a spider web waas all around these pots I told the kids to leave the spider alone I think he kept most bugs off the lettuce
I need to make some notes b4 I forget about what did well in pots and what needs to be in the garden ....drainage and .......structure for the climbers ;)
  • Juthro, Heirloom Spores and wharfrat like this

#18 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,269 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

As an FYI, carrots and Queen Anne's lace are both the same species, and can cross pollinate.

Their seeds will produce white carrots, and while they are technically edible (AKA not toxic), they are not palatable. They are so bitter that you cant eat them.

Edited by Juthro, 28 September 2016 - 08:33 PM.

#19 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,942 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:33 AM

Yes thanks for that note I also planted mullti colored carrots making the identification even harder ;)
they become more wild food the more they cross pollinate
I found that out with my parsnips too not that they pollinated with others but that after a few years they become more wild and come up like weeds in unwanted areas.... a note when trying to save certain seeds over the years

I am curious about the yeild on my purple potatoes I kept heaping them up with dry grass and sand a bit of poop and repeat when they grow taller.....I think I wanna dig them for thanks giving tho fresh potatoes from the garden is one thing we can harvest out of the garden then its not too late bit after that harvest is done here.....oops except the sun chokes which need to wait for then to be harvested till spring when ever you can get into the ground

Edited by wildedibles, 29 September 2016 - 02:34 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#20 Zwapa

Zwapa

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:39 PM

i just leave those parsnips stand, have to tag them in winter time so u know where they are. But nonetheless if u sow new ones, it appears they become bigger. I've had specimen of almost 50cm :eek: 

Still having tomatoes , broccoli, cauliflower, leek, celeriac and so on. lovely this gardening. Not only what u get, but also what u give into it.

Nice to see u guys enjoying this also :thumbs_up2:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!