#21 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,591 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:30 PM

I got a few purple potatoes and they are super good.
A pint of Tom Juice. 

I didn't do as well as I hoped but am happy with what I got.

Attached Thumbnails

• tom 003.JPG

• Juthro and wharfrat like this

#22 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,470 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:38 PM

Our cal white potatoes had scab really bad this year. The other types of spuds seemed much more resistant, so I think I will remove the cal's from our planting list next year. With scab, they are still good to eat, you just have to cut away the bad parts. That and they wont store, they will start to rot around the scab lesions on the skin very soon after harvesting.

So to save them, they need to be peeled, and canned (or frozen, you can shred them for hash browns) in fairly short order (a few days is good). Anyway we ended up with 10 quarts of canned potatoes out of just the scabbed, and a couple that had bug damage.

I love to use the canned potatoes for making soups, or chowders. They also go really well in stews, or with a roast in the crock pot. They don't mash well though. They stay firm, and make for lumpy mashed spuds :(
But it's a great way to preserve your surplus harvest, for when you cant eat them all fresh before they spoil.

#23 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,470 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:16 PM

I got a few purple potatoes and they are super good.

I grew some exotic colored spuds several years back.

Your right they do taste good, but I just couldn't get over the color. I'm pretty sure that makes me a wimp, lol.

I think the last straw for me was when I made mashed potatoes out of them, and served a dirty chicken gravy over the top. The color of the spuds was a reddish purple and the mashed potatoes looked like they had been mixed with blood, lol.

Toped off with a yellow chicken stock gravy, with peas, mushrooms, and chicken chunks floating in it... Lets just say it looked less then appetizing (to me at least). It tasted great though, but was enough of a turn off that I stick with growing yellow and white fleshed spuds now.
  • Heirloom likes this

#24 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 4,940 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:25 PM

purple spuds are the bomb! had a customer bring us a bag every year, i loved them.

• Juthro likes this

#25 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,470 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:49 PM

7 was our lucky number yesterday. We got 7 pints of tomato sauce (blended with peppers, onions, and garlic. Oven roasted first, just long enough to get some char on them), and 7 half pints each of salsa, and hot pepper relish (both of those are water bathed).

We still have some jalapenos, and some sweet yellow bells that will get pickled and caned (I'll get'em done sometime today). And I've also got two full gallon sized Ziploc bags of peppers on the smoker, after 20hrs of smoke they will get dehydrated, and ground down for chipotle powder.

Then all we have left is the romas that are ripening in the house (more sauce), and some more potatoes to can.

Whew! Canning season is a lot of work, lol :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!