Nothing mind-blowing here, just wanted to share some cakes. I think they'll do pretty well. :)
Since we're here, though, I'll go through a couple of points about my method. It's nothing new, just stripped down to be as easy as possible.
Unless you're using pre-made spore syringes, you're going to need to make them yourself. I start with a spore print in a button bag (small ziplock). While I'm making my PF jars, I also make a sterile water jar and put it in the PC. Mine are regular mouth pint jars and the lids look something like this:
This isn't my pic. The instructions for making these lids are here. They are basically lids with holes covered with silicone for injection ports, and a hole in the middle using a washer and some tyvek for gas exchange. With these lids there is no need to use an "airport" because the pressure equalizes automatically.
So I PC the sterile water jars right along with my cakes and a single 10mL syringe for spore injection. When I pull everything out of the PC in my clean space, I:
- suck up some water from the water jar into the syringe,
- carefully shoot it into the bag with the spore print,
- swish the water around the spore print with my fingers,
- suck the spore-laden water back into the syringe,
- and then shoot that back into the sterile water jar.
Then I have enough spore water in the jar for many 10 mL syringes. From there I can refill the syringe as many times as I need to until all of the pf jars have been inoculated.
I don't use a glove box or even gloves. I just clean the bathroom and remove everything: towels, toothbrushes, floor mats, etc. Then I put everything I need in the bathroom, take a shower, towel off, drop the towel on the floor, mist with bleach water and do the work buck naked except for a bandana on my face to keep me from breathing all over everything.
So here are the cakes, just born yesterday. I dunked them overnight and they came out nice and heavy with water weight:
They are brown because they are covered in a layer of fine vermiculite.
And here is my little (very little) innovation: the shower curtain lid. I grew in these tubs with the original lids before and not enough light got in to the box. They were growing every which way except up. Mostly down into the perlite it seemed. This way, light will enter through the top of the box, the mushies will grow upward, and I don't have to take the lid off to admire them. On top of that, if I'm expecting company, I can just put the original lid on and they are nothing more than opaque rubbermaid tubs. That's why I like using the solid color boxes with no holes cut in them. If I clean them out, then they're just storage totes!
Edited by Sidestreet, 04 October 2016 - 05:58 AM.