4 replies to this topic

#1 shroomgloom

shroomgloom

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

Hi,

about 6 days ago I tried making some blue honey. I had read different teks and some said to grind them all up to a fine powder and some saying to just make the pieces small. 

I had about 10 grams of dried mushrooms that to me were cracker dry, they snapped when trying to bend them. The honey was 100% honey with no water content.

6g had been drying in 38% humidity, 29,5 C with two 120mm fans for about 54 hours, and 4g had been drying for about 36 hours but in this batch the mushrooms were sliced in the middle to 2-4 bits to make the drying quicker. They had all lost 90%+ of their weight.

So I went with a mixture of powdered mushrooms and small bits of mushrooms. (If I would have done it now I would have just turned it all to powder)

Even just a few hours after, I noticed air bubbles had formed on the top and all the mushrooms were at the surface. I assumed this was just from me stirring the mushrooms in. I tried layering them but they would just float to the top when I added the honey so I chose to stir them in instead.

I've been storing the jar in a cool, dark place.

It's been 6 days now and I've flipped the jar over daily in order for the mushrooms to become submerged, and I'm still seeing air bubbles. This could be due to the fact that the air that's present in the jar gets pushed to the other side, and gets "caught" under all the mushroom bits and then slowly starts seeping up. 

But I can't be sure of this, and I've read about the dangers with fermented mushrooms in honey. So I'd really appreciate your opinions... 

I've attached some pictures of the jars, what do you think?

Thanks

IMG_2243.JPG IMG_2246.JPG IMG_2247.JPG

(The pictures were taken about 2-3 hours after flipping the jar, but it pretty much looks like this all the time.)

I've been storing the jar in a cool, dark place.

Edited by shroomgloom, 06 October 2016 - 08:53 AM.

#2 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 4,904 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

This is just me thinking out loud here.........

I have experience making 'shroom honey. The mushrooms need to be cracker dry so that when ground in a coffee grinder they are pulverized to dust/powder. In humid climates and seasons it can be beneficial to employ a desiccant such as those used in regulating the humidity of gun storage cabinets and such. These desiccants are pretty cheap and readily available.  

It is my thinking that the "chunks" of mushroom you've included in your mix are beginning to go through the process of fermentation or decay. The bubbles could be CO2 or other gasses being given off (possibly) by mirco-organisms. The "chunks" of mushroom - most certainly - still had moisture. Where there is water, there is life. 

Not to worry.

Just store your honey in the freezer so long as there are no sour or (otherwise) "off" smells. 

• Sidestreet likes this

#3 shroomgloom

shroomgloom

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:08 AM

This is just me thinking out loud here.........

I have experience making 'shroom honey. The mushrooms need to be cracker dry so that when ground in a coffee grinder they are pulverized to dust/powder. In humid climates and seasons it can be beneficial to employ a desiccant such as those used in regulating the humidity of gun storage cabinets and such. These desiccants are pretty cheap and readily available.  

It is my thinking that the "chunks" of mushroom you've included in your mix are beginning to go through the process of fermentation or decay. The bubbles could be CO2 or other gasses being given off (possibly) by mirco-organisms. The "chunks" of mushroom - most certainly - still had moisture. Where there is water, there is life. 

Not to worry.

Just store your honey in the freezer so long as there are no sour or (otherwise) "off" smells. 

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I hade ordered some desiccant a week before the harvest, but it didnt arrive until this monday... I didn't want any loss of potency since I couldn't store them with the desiccant, so I figured that I would make some blue honey. When I ground the mushrooms in an herb grinder they turned to powder quite quickly, so I didn't grind the rest for as long thinking that some chunks would be beneficial. But I'd say that 50+ percent of the mushrooms turned to powder within a few seconds so if there was any water content in them I assume it would be really low...

The wet weight of the mushrooms was about 110 grams, and the dry weight when I added them to the blue honey was 8,98 grams. So I thought it would be OK since they had lost more than 9/10 of their weight.

It only smells of honey when I take a whiff of the jar, so nothing has happened yet I hope. 

Are there any other alternatives to storing the jar in the freezer or is this the only option? 

Thanks

#4 Myc

Myc

Myc - o 'Topia

• App Administrator
  • 4,904 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:19 AM

I only recommend the freezer as a precaution.

If there is life in that shroom honey - it will be put into stasis when introduced into the freezer. (This is the reason we store food in the freezer for future use.)

I've never gone to the effort of checking moisture content because - if done properly - it is a complex process involving multiple samples, a small laboratory oven, charting of moisture loss over time by weighing samples with a triple beam balance, etc. Certainly not an easy process for the home cultivator. 

I ask this:

If your honey has "bubbles" - where are they coming from?

Are they being produced within the honey?

Or are they being released as if from an emulsion?

Or just chuck it in the freezer and enjoy whenever you're ready. 

What are your objections to keeping this in the freezer?

• Sidestreet likes this

#5 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 7,208 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:37 PM

Moved to the Psychedelic Kitchen.  :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!