Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Signal Receives Subpoena - Too bad US Govt, not this time...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,088 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:42 AM

Link to article: HERE

Grand jury subpoena for Signal user data, Eastern District of Virginia

04 Oct 2016

In the "first half of 2016" (the most specific we're permitted to be), we received a subpoena from the Eastern District of Virginia. The subpoena required us to provide information about two Signal users for a federal grand jury investigation.

We've designed the Signal service to minimize the data we retain about Signal users, so the only information we can produce in response to a request like this is the date and time a user registered with Signal and the last date of a user's connectivity to the Signal service.

Notably, things we don't have stored include anything about a user's contacts (such as the contacts themselves, a hash of the contacts, any other derivative contact information), anything about a user's groups (such as how many groups a user is in, which groups a user is in, the membership lists of a user's groups), or any records of who a user has been communicating with.

All message contents are end to end encrypted, so we don't have that information either.

This is the first subpoena that we've received. It originally included a broad gag order that would have prevented us from publishing this notice, but the ACLU represented us in quickly and successfully securing our ability to publish the transcripts below. We're committed to treating any future requests the same way: working with effective and talented organizations like the ACLU, and publishing transcripts of our responses to government requests here.

• Sidestreet, Heirloom and sedaeng like this

#2 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,088 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:43 AM

Get it here: https://whispersystems.org/

• Myc, sedaeng and back2dirt like this

#3 sedaeng

sedaeng

n≡ith≡r gφd nφr mαst≡r

• Black VIP
  • 319 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:00 PM

nice, also here is a good site for 'topics' you wish to have remain private while on something other than a phone. 

www.protectedtext.com

As long as your phone/computer do not have anything logging your input into the devices that is... Some of us use keyloggers on our devices to monitor anyone attempting to access their computer/phone.

Edited by sedaeng, 06 October 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,580 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:43 PM

I like Wikr.  It is end-to-end encrypted and you can set it to delete the messages within a certain amount of time after they are read.

But the above passage sends a clear message that I love:  "FUCK YOU."

Edited by Sidestreet, 06 October 2016 - 05:46 PM.

• Heirloom and sedaeng like this

#5 Zen_

Zen_

Timelord

• Founders
  • 5,088 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:45 PM

Wikr was good, but I think Signal is better. It's Snowden approved! 

• Sidestreet and Heirloom like this

#6 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,580 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:48 AM

Got it.  The hardest part is getting friends to switch over.  But that little snippet above should go a long way...

#7 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:38 AM

I have a hushmail account for my computer . Don't have a smart got an LG track phone. Whats the least expensive phone I can get
to use a service like this on?

Any opinions on my ( paid for) hushmail account would be welcome.
( security wise )
I don't do anything but enjoy my privacy and security. Don't want to go visit a friend and have my home
gone through by local cops while I am gone. Thought about getting some type of internal security system that only I can access.
This might also help incase  a criminal comes here while the place is empty.

I burned some of my notebooks after I caught an Aunt and my Mom  reading them a few decades ago. I don't write much but used to and my writing is extremely private.

#8 sedaeng

sedaeng

n≡ith≡r gφd nφr mαst≡r

• Black VIP
  • 319 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:38 PM

I have a hushmail account for my computer . Don't have a smart got an LG track phone. Whats the least expensive phone I can get
to use a service like this on?

Any opinions on my ( paid for) hushmail account would be welcome.
( security wise )
I don't do anything but enjoy my privacy and security. Don't want to go visit a friend and have my home
gone through by local cops while I am gone. Thought about getting some type of internal security system that only I can access.
This might also help incase  a criminal comes here while the place is empty.

I burned some of my notebooks after I caught an Aunt and my Mom  reading them a few decades ago. I don't write much but used to and my writing is extremely private.

The phone thing would be dependent on which carrier you have service with. Most phones are locked to specific companies.  There are a few phones that are unlocked and can be used across 'most' carriers.  So to have someone help with a suggestion Heirloom I would think need to start with the phone company you go through.

As far as internal security for your home, I like the IP web cameras that send text alerts and screenshots immediately(with specific software) email/and or phone. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016YJPS9I

881092fd-63da-44c1-bdd0-3589f9ca44ea.jpg

I would never point the cameras into my private living areas.  Mine are facing entry points on to my property.  The only places motored vehicles can access.

Im sure there are some better suited suggestions that you might lean more towards once more chime in on your question sir :)

Edited by sedaeng, 10 October 2016 - 11:40 PM.

• Sidestreet, Heirloom and back2dirt like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!